Start by marking “Through the Mickle Woods” as Want to Read:
Through the Mickle Woods

Through the Mickle Woods

After his wife's death a grieving king journeys to an old bear's cave in the mickle woods, where he hears three stories that help him go on living.
Published September 1st 1992 by Little Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Through the Mickle Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through the Mickle Woods

Abby Pooch
May 14, 2016 Abby Pooch rated it did not like it
Shelves: children
As a children's book, I found this book lacking. Although the illustrations are beautiful and the idea of the story is great, I found the writing style hard to follow, and too old-fashioned for most children to understand. Language like this often does not keep kids interested in the story. I am an adult, and although I read through the whole story, I lost interest after the first page because of the writing style.
David
Oct 29, 2015 David rated it really liked it
I liked this book as per the narrative text it conveys. I thought it did an excellent job of telling a story in a 3rd person voice. What sets this book apart is its use of strategic flashbacks; I think that's something we can learn from and use as a mentor. The dialogue and grammar rules for dialogue is also abundant.
Jackie
Sep 21, 2014 Jackie rated it really liked it
A lonely, distraught king honors the memory of his recently deceased queen by taking a trip Through the Mickle Woods with young Michael. In the woods, they meet a wise bear who enlightens both of them on the meaning of life, love, and humanity.
Anne
Jul 18, 2012 Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-picture
Don't normally review picture books, but this one is just so good. I loved Moser's illustrations (of course, which is why I picked it up), the structure is great (little stories within a larger story), and I just loved what this was about and how the author wrote it.
Alexandra
Feb 14, 2013 Alexandra rated it it was amazing
A beautifully illustrated story about a king and a boy and how they both come to terms with the grief they share. A lovely children's book that will appeal to adults as well.
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
C.M
C.M rated it liked it
May 31, 2011
Thea
Thea rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2013
Claire
Claire rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Monica
Monica rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2014
Kimberly Barlow Cook
Kimberly Barlow Cook rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2014
Edwirinia
Jul 03, 2012 Edwirinia rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-junior
Gorgeous illustrations, beautiful language.
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2011
Laurie Williams
Laurie Williams rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2010
Shanshad Whelan
Shanshad Whelan rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2009
Betsy
Betsy rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2014
Joy
Joy rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2009
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
May 22, 2012
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2013
Miriam
Miriam rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2008
Books Kids Like
Books Kids Like rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2014
Ellen
Ellen rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Mindy
Mindy added it
Nov 27, 2008
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2010
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2010
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2011
Craftier (Kim)
Craftier (Kim) marked it as to-read
May 13, 2011
Tiffany Bills
Tiffany Bills marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2011
SuAnn Mcfadden
SuAnn Mcfadden marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2013
Joy Beth
Joy Beth marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2013
Trisha
Trisha added it
Aug 26, 2013
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Tessa
Tessa marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Julie
Julie added it
Oct 30, 2015

“In a kingdom long ago there was a man who lived alone. In spring he never sowed his seeds for fear there might be drought, and in fall he would not travel lest his ship be blown into the deep. But though he locked his doors inside and out, it did not bring him peace. One day a bird, small and slight as a pebble, flew to his window. He marveled at her green wings and at the beauty of her song. 'I have heard that wind can uproot a tree from the ground,' said the man. 'Are you not afraid of wind?' The bird cocked her head brightly. 'Of course,' she said. 'And I have heard that fire can sweep a forest in a day,' the man said. 'Are you not afraid of fire?' 'Yes,' she said. Her wings, thin as pages in a book, glinted in the yellow sunlight. 'But if you are afraid,' asked the man, 'why do you fly? Why do you build your nest?' The bird cracked a grain of millet in her beak. 'There are things I would not miss,' she said. 'Every day there is morning, ripe as a peach.' She trilled a score of grace-notes effortlessly. 'And fledglings in the spring, of course-small things.' 'I do not wish to hear of these,' said the man. 'What of wind and fire?' The bird considered thoughtfully. 'My song,' she said finally, 'requires them all.' The man watched her fly away, as frail and strong as ashes dancing in the air.” 0 likes