Start by marking “The Manga Guide to Physics” as Want to Read:
The Manga Guide to Physics

The Manga Guide to Physics (Manga Guides)

Megumi is an all-star athlete, but she's a failure when it comes to physics class. And she can't concentrate on her tennis matches when she's worried about the questions she missed on the big test! Luckily for her, she befriends Ryota, a patient physics geek who uses real-world examples to help her understand classical mechanics-and improve her tennis game in the process!

I
Published May 20th 2009 by No Starch Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Manga Guide to Physics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Manga Guide to Physics

Eric Mesa
Sep 26, 2016 Eric Mesa rated it liked it
This Manga Guide has more of a story than the electricity one, but less than the calculus one. The style is very wacky - like a comedy manga and it reminds me a lot of Azumanga Daioh with all the digressions, daydreams, and general surrealism. It does a good job explaining physics, especially if you're learning physics without calculus. Like many other books in this series, it uses real world examples (primarily tennis in this book) to explain the principles and why a student should bother ...more
Maha Balouch
Oct 07, 2012 Maha Balouch rated it it was amazing
I adore this book. It made a subject that I look at as pure torture in a way that I can understand. Through demos, Megu learns from Ryota the physics of a tennis game that she wants to win so bad.
Concepts such as momentum, energy, work, Newton's laws of motions, velocity and much more was clarified for me. I'm so glad I read this.
I got this from a library, but I just might buy it for future reference.

Definitely recommend!
Soobie's heartbroken
Neanche un miracolo riuscirebbe a far sì che la sottoscritta capisse qualcosa di fisica...

È un preambolo necessario questo. Perché Soobie, cucciola, appena vede formule e numeri va in confusione. Il suo cervello non è fatto per questo cose.

Quindi, sì, per un po' sono riuscita vagamente a seguire le spiegazioni sulle leggi di Newton. Poi dal mio cervello sono uscite i proverbiali sbuffi di fumo e mi son limitata a seguire la storiella della protagonista e del suo insegnante di fisica. Ma è sempr
Daken Howlett
Semplice da comprendere ed estremamente interessante...avrei voluto averlo a portata di mano ai tempi del liceo...
Parka
Jun 08, 2011 Parka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
There are so many genres of Japanese comics that it doesn't come as a surprise that there's a series dedicated to teaching subjects that are normally taught in schools.

The Manga Guide to Physics is a great introduction to physics. It has a very simple but entertaining storyline, one about the lead Megumi trying to learn physics so that she can defeat her opponent in a tennis match. Compared to thick physics textbooks, it's certainly a more interesting way to learn physics.

The different concepts
Soh Kam Yung
An interesting Manga-style book that teaches some of the basic concepts of classical physics.

At the beginning, one character has just been defeated in a game of tennis while being bothered by the physics involved in tennis. Another character offers to coach her in physics, so that she can defeat her opponent the next time they meet.

Beginning with Newton's Third Law (action and reaction), they move on Newton's Second and First Laws (on force, mass and inertia) and tie that in to momentum and ener
Canesgalactica
Jan 05, 2013 Canesgalactica rated it liked it
While I think this book does a wonderful job of describing the concepts of physics alongside comics to illustrate them, this book falls short on fully teaching one about the mathematical side of physics (IE. if you lack a working understanding of trigonometry or calculus, chances are you will be really lost for good portions of this book where they go into detail about the equations).

Otherwise, it is good at illustrating the concepts in a way that is easy for most people to understand (visual le
Selena
Not much of a "manga guide." While there was a lot of information in the manga, there was a lot of pages that made me think "text book." The pictures were helpful and the manga helpful for the concepts, but for actually using the concepts for anything, you gotta rely on the "text book" pages.

And honestly, I found the muscle-men kinda creepy... No face. Just muscles. ...*shudder*
Yoki
Oct 19, 2013 Yoki rated it it was amazing
i did not finish reaiding it

but it is fun and relate physics to real life (specially sport yay :) )

and after the manga they give you more informations in details

the manga drawing is good and the story teller are good and fun

they even copied sherlock holmes and watson lol
Rachel
Aug 17, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
I LOVE this idea- using the graphic novel format to teach complex topics. I've been following the rise of the non-fiction graphic novel very closely. I think they are brilliant teaching tools. They can reach students who might otherwise be struggling.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Jan 14, 2011 Kelly H. (Maybedog) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: what-nonfiction
It rocks. That's all I can say. Anything that introduces physics to kids in a fun way is awesome. And it's just as good as it looks.
De Stewart-otto
Jun 11, 2011 De Stewart-otto rated it really liked it
Any book that has my daughter absorbed in physics for three hours on a Saturday afternoon ranks at least four stars with me.
Kristen Rose
Kristen Rose rated it it was ok
Oct 09, 2013
manifestasisanubari
manifestasisanubari rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2014
Brandon Vaeth
Brandon Vaeth rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2015
Amanda Azinheira
Amanda Azinheira rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Natalie Pargas
Natalie Pargas rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Natasha Zee
Natasha Zee rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2010
Rachel
Nov 14, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
I admit it, I skipped the textbooks sections ><. A very instructive comic though!
Mary
Jul 23, 2012 Mary rated it liked it
A little childish, but still more fun then trying to read an actual physics book over the summer
Bogdan
Bogdan rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Saud A
Saud A rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2012
Sami Ismail
Sami Ismail rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2013
Brianna
Brianna rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Death
Death rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Julea
Julea rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2012
Shifa' Azman
Shifa' Azman rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
katph00d
katph00d rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Irina Nam
Irina Nam rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2016
Krainbow
Krainbow rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2014
  • The Manga Guide to Statistics
  • The Manga Guide to the Universe
  • The Manga Guide to Databases
  • George and the Big Bang
  • The Amazing Story of Quantum Mechanics: A Math-Free Exploration of the Science that Made Our World
  • The Cartoon Guide to Chemistry
  • Python for Kids
  • Java for Dummies [With CDROM]
  • Time Travel and Warp Drives: A Scientific Guide to Shortcuts through Time and Space
  • Harumi's Japanese Cooking: More than 75 Authentic and Contemporary Recipes from Japan's Most Popular Cooking Expert
  • Real Simple: Cleaning
  • Physics for Game Developers
  • Supermarket
  • Gray Hat Python: Python Programming for Hackers and Reverse Engineers
  • The Time and Space of Uncle Albert

Manga Guides (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Manga Guide to Biochemistry