Start by marking “The Rivals (Settler's Mine, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Rivals (Settler's Mine, #1)

The Rivals (Settler's Mine #1)

Orion and Balt, rival bounty hunters, unexpectedly meet up on Settler's Mine to bring in a woman, Layla, whose retrieval will set up the finder for life. It's a race to see who will find her first.

Layla, who's not what she appears, is hiding in plain sight, but it takes a while for them to recognize her. When they do, they are stunned to find their heartstones glowing, mar

Published November 19th 2008 by Loose Id, LLC (first published July 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Rivals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rivals

Julie (jjmachshev)
Mar 20, 2009 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotica, 2009-reads
A rocking futuristic, science fiction erotic adventure with sizzling sex and enough action, suspense, and emotional pull to please any reader. "The Rivals" is the first book of Mechele Armstrong's 'Settler's Mine' series. Although this first book is the only one currently in print, there are three others available in e-book format. WARNING: This book contains scenes of light bondage and oral, anal, and vaginal sex with M/M, M/F, and M/F/M partner/s. If this offends you, don't read it.

Layla is on
Toni (U.A.C.)
It was sort of boring. I couldn't get into it and I love scifi, IDK.
Andrea
Dec 14, 2012 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not a horrible book but it had several contradictions to the character storylines and plot issues. For example the Layla character is suspposed to be this great infiltration super spy yet she makes rookie mistakes that cause 2 untrained bounty hunters to find her. Also, when they are trying to escape, I kept wondering why Orion didn't keep flying until he lead Merc away and then jetison the tracking device in outerspace before being caught. They they would have all been safe. Instead he ...more
Brutally Honest
Nov 04, 2015 Brutally Honest rated it did not like it
Yep, this was a dnf for me! Believe it or not, it was the lacklustre sex that did it for me. Too much of it!!!! I also honestly couldn't care less for any of the characters, none if them had an actual presence in the book... if you know what I mean. The guys had literally no background story at all, like they had just fallen out of the sky several days before the start of the book... The heroine's background story consisted of vague stories that were really just that, stories. I wasn't convinced ...more
Sarah Noll
Apr 02, 2016 Sarah Noll rated it liked it
I'm a big fan of banter and light teasing so this book was a good one for me. I enjoyed the characters and that silly premise that got the story moving was fun. Overall I thought the guys were better characters than the girl and the back story could have been more consistent but overall a enjoyable read.
Adriana
The Rivals by Mechele Armstrong

Just an okay read for me. I found the writing choppy and a bit disjointed and repetitious. While I enjoy a good sci-fi story and M/M/F is my fav in erotica, even that couldn’t overcome the bouncing from scene to scene for me.
April
Super sexy menage tale!! Loved all the hot and steamy scenes. Well written story with lots of heart.

A really interesting world is created and I am loving this sci-fi erotica! Can't wait for more!

Great engaging characters! Oh, Lord the steamy was hot and heavy!! And oh so delicious!
Leonie
Jan 29, 2015 Leonie rated it it was ok
This was just O.K for me.
Angarad
Dec 08, 2013 Angarad rated it liked it
An original idea of how to find your soulmate(s) but could have been more developped and les centered in sex, no matter how hot :)
Liz
Apr 07, 2010 Liz rated it it was ok
An OK erotic read :)
Jan 20, 2015 Sarah rated it it was ok
This book was fair. I found most of the writing to be childish and annoying. All in all...meh.
Nicole
Oct 13, 2009 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books
I wasn't a huge fan of the big plot device, in which you go to a mine and find a heartstone, and it tells you who your true love is. But the rest of the tale was good!
Anna
Aug 01, 2012 Anna rated it did not like it
Shelves: pnr, romance-erotic
dnf/meh
Julianna
Sep 28, 2012 Julianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was good. Liked the fact of the whole enemy's attraction and that they had to work together.
Feistygodwin
Sep 29, 2011 Feistygodwin rated it liked it
The writing seemed a little stilted to me, however overall arc of the story, the sexy love story and the worldbuilding was interesting enough to hold my attention.
Suburbancowgirl
Decent read. Loved the characters, good story/plot. Solid 3.5 stars. The smut was well written. Just wanted more of it!
Holly
Jul 23, 2015 Holly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Thought I'd try this author, but the book was not really my style. I don't mind a menage romance, but I don't like romance between the same sex. Really liked to Sci-Fi.
Emma
May 10, 2010 Emma added it
Recommended to Emma by: purplepansy31@hotmail.co.uk
Orion Balt & Layla
Gina (bibliobuff)
Apr 18, 2011 Gina (bibliobuff) rated it really liked it
This book was a lot better than I expected it to be. It helped that I love a good menage story where two male adversaries end up belonging to a mated trio. The book builds an interesting world, too.
ChristiLee
ChristiLee rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2011
Leslie
Leslie rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Natalie
Natalie rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2013
SaNdi Shaw
SaNdi Shaw rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2014
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was ok
Feb 05, 2012
LOLA
LOLA rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Connie
Connie rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2010
Kate Lilly
Kate Lilly rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2012
Krystal
Krystal rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Sunny
Sunny rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2011
Shell
Shell rated it it was ok
Aug 28, 2010
  • In Service
  • Hale (Circe's Recruits, #4)
  • Belle Starr
  • Love at First Bight (Deep Space Mission Corps #1)
  • Something New (Foster Siblings, #2)
  • Birthday Party Surprise (Lucky Springs #2)
  • Victorious Star (Interstellar Service & Discipline, #1)
  • Alcandian Rage (Alcandians, #2)
  • Hara's Legacy (Resonance Mates, #1)
  • Soldier (Altered Destinies, #5)
  • Bitter Wine (The Ta'e'sha Caesurae #1)
  • Awakening (Dark Elves #6)
  • Gift of the Goddess (Phoenix Rising, #1)
  • Necklace of Shame
Growing up, I had a vivid imagination with lots of imaginary playmates and stuffed animals to keep me company. I even had crayon box adventures where the colors had a kingdom and tales to tell. And who says pink is a girl color? In my world, he was a prince.

From the time I could form my letters, this translated into fanciful writings from poems on eye shadow (I was six) to a story about an Island
More about Mechele Armstrong...

Settler's Mine (6 books)
  • The Lovers (Settler's Mine, #2)
  • The Woman (Settler's Mine, #3)
  • The Wolf (Settler's Mine, #4)
  • The Man (Settler's Mine, #5)
  • The Rogue (Settler's Mine, #6)