Missing Mark (Riley Spartz, #2)

Missing Mark (Riley Spartz #2)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  628 ratings  ·  127 reviews
In this page-turning sequel to Stalking Susan, TV reporter Riley Spartz pursues a curious story of a bride left at the altar and finds herself caught in a dangerous missing-person case.

When Riley Spartz sees a want ad reading “Wedding Dress for Sale: Never Worn,” her news instincts tell her that the backstory might make an intriguing television sweeps piece.

The groom, Ma...more
Published July 14th 2009 by Doubleday (first published January 1st 2009)

Michael
When investigative reporter Riley Sparkz see an ad in the paper for a never worn wedding dress, she decides there must be more to the story and begins an investigation.

Wealthy socialite Madeline was to marry down-and-out stand-up comic Mark three months after meeting him. But on the day of the nuptials, Mark didn't show up at the church and has vanished. Was it his ex-girlfriend or something more?

Meanwhile, the largest bass in the state of Minnesota is bass-napped by an animal rights group and...more
Sarah Madison
Jaime
I really enjoyed the first book in this series, Stalking Susan, so I had high hopes for this one. Thankfully, it delivered! Riley Spartz is nothing if not persistent. Sweeps are coming up again, and she’s under pressure, as usual. TV news is changing, and the chances of her ending up with a story as big as the last one are low. When the ad for a never worn wedding dress shows up in the paper, she hopes she can find a story there. Along the way we get to visit with some of our favorite characters...more
Nancy
After reading her first book, Stalking Susan, I was wondering if Julie Kramer could keep up with her initial offering. I was not disappointed; Riley Spartz is a dynamic lead character. Her day job as a TV investigative news reporter at a second position station in Minneapolis, keeps her in constant movement towards her next forty-share story, but somehow she seems to land smack dab into a mystery.

An advertisement “Wedding Dress for Sale: Never Worn” piques her interest and is much reminiscent of...more
2 1/2 stars
Missing Mark is the second in a series about investigative reporter Riley Spartz. The first is Stalking Susan, which I have not read. Even though I didn't read the first one, I didn't feel as though I missed anything--anything pertinent to the story was recapped quickly.

The story was decent enough, but I felt like it missed in a few places. First, I kept figuring things out way before they were revealed. Maybe too many hints were given or just not enough red herrings to keep the reade...more
Denise
4.0 out of 5 stars "For Sale: Wedding Dress. Never Worn.", June 26, 2009

This review is from: Missing Mark (Hardcover)

I had selected Missing Mark from Amazon Vine before I realized it was the second in a series so of course I had to get Stalking Susan and read it first. That's just an idiosyncrasy and even though it fleshes out the backstory of our intrepid heroine, Riley Spartz, it really isn't necessary to read it prior to enjoying this book. This sequel is just as well done as the debut.

Featu...more
Sterlingcindysu
One of the most important aspects of any mystery/crime book is 1)if all the plot lines are tied up at the end satisfactorily 2)if I figured out who dunnit or 3)if I was wrong, I want to know why I was wrong. Of course, plot, setting, characterization, etc are all just as important but let's face it, if a book gives away the ending too early on or has an ending that's not logical, what's the point?

So I'd really give this a 3.5 because everything was tied up, I figured out who dunnit, but not the...more
Sandie
Missing Mark by Julie Kramer was not only an enjoyable read, it turned out to be an educational one as well. Prior to reading Kramer's book, I had never heard of an obscure disorder called Prosopagnosia, a neurological condition that renders a person incapable of recognizing faces (even those of family).

The story's protagonist, TV news journalist Riley Spartz, comes across as advertisement for the sale of a "WEDDING DRESS, NEVER WORN" and is intrigued. Feeling that this would be an ideal subjec...more
Kathleen Hagen
Missing Mark, by Julie Kramer, b-plus, narrated by Bernadette Dunn, produced by Random House audio, downloaded from audible.com. This is the second one in the Riley Sparks, t.v. anchorwoman series, in Minneapolis.

In this second book, Riley, always on the look for odd stories that will bring up their ratings during the sweepstakes in May, sees an ad in the paper: “Wedding Dress for sale, never worn.” She decides to look into it thinking that the back story might make an interesting story. She fin...more
Marlyn
Julie Kramer was kind enough to send me this audiobook to donate to my local library, which I'm happy to do now that I've listened to it.

The sequel to 2008's Stalking Susan has investigative reporter Riley Spartz trying desperately to find the right story for sweeps season. A newspaper ad for a never-worn wedding dress leads Riley to a search for a Mark Lefevre, who vanished just before his wedding. Did he get cold feet and run away, or has something more sinister happened?

When Mark's mother is...more
Nicole
Riley Spartz is a TV reporter in Minnesota who keeps having crazy adventures while chasing her sweeps stories. The ad she spots about an unworn wedding dress plunges her into a missing person/murder mystery. Unfortunately, her news director isn’t big on the story and wants her to pursue a stolen fish. And while all that’s going on, Riley has been entrusted with the care of a police dog that has drug-ring assassins after him!

I think I would’ve liked this book more if the main character didn’t wor...more
Gabrielle
I really bought this book because I read Stalking Susan and liked it, however I can barely even read this it is so lame. I forgot that the worst thing about reading book series is that they repeat the same information, which is understandable but in this book, there is no bases for the information to be given again and no attempt to relay it differently. For instance, in both Missing Mark and Stalking Susan, the reporter main character explains that when you write out the script for a newscast y...more
Cheryl
Readers were first introduced to Channel 3 television reporter, Riley Spartz in author Julie Kramer’s debut novel Stalking Susan. Now Riley is back in getting in over her head again in Missing Mark.

Riley has recovered from her scare in Stalking Susan and is ready to get back in action. She sees an ad for a wedding dress for sale. To anyone else they would just glance at the ad and maybe pass it over but not Riley. She believes there is a story behind the ad. She contacts the owner, Madeline to...more
Spuddie
#2 Riley Spartz 'amateur sleuth' mystery set in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis/St. Paul. Riley is an investigative television reporter trying to come up with an interesting story for the upcoming "sweeps week" when ratings are even more important than usual. Perusing the want ads in the newspaper, she sees an ad that piques her interest: "For Sale: Wedding dress, never worn."

Intrigued, she answers the ad on the pretense of wanting to buy the dress to learn why the bride-to-be never got to wear...more
Holly Lee (Bellas Novella)
Other people have suggested that if you are a fan of Stephanie Plum Novels by Janet Evanovich, that you would like this series by Julie Kramer. They are similar in the sense that they both have a strong leading lady who solves crimes-even though they aren't supposed to-and catch bad guys. I would say that Missing Mark is much more wordy than anything by Janet Evanovich. I was exasperated by all the in depth details about being a news reporter. I found myself wanting to skip ahead very early on i...more
David Peters
Why I read It
This is book two of Julie Kramer's series and I really enjoyed book 1 Stalking Susan. Plus Kramer is a local writer, so even better. These books were originally recommended to me by a coworker.

The Good
Great mystery and wonderful writing. It also opens up a lot of the inside world of TV news reporting. Plus if you have any Minnesota experience you can have “secret insider” knowledge that just adds to the book. We had just been to several of the places mentioned (Underwater World and...more
Stacey
I like these books okay and it's very interesting to have all the local landmarks brought up. This book was especially surprising because the author eluded to a crime that happened in MN history, it was about a woman who looked for her son she gave up for adoption only to find out the adoptive parent had killed the boy. The boy was my friends cousin, the birth mother was her aunt. So I remember that crime well.

However, getting back to the book, I thought this one was ridiculous with the unlikely...more
Julia
Minneapolis investigative reporter Riley Spartz is intrigued by a want ad in local paper. Why do people try to sell unworn wedding gowns? With sweeps coming up and news director Noreen wants Riley to come up with a big hit for the hot female ad age group. Riley pursues Madeline's tale of being left at the alter six months earlier by her groom, Mark. I really enjoyed the twists and turns this mystery took and the insider view of the newsroom life. There is a lot of local flavor as well, I don't t...more
Kat
Terry
Julie Kramer is the reason I started reading mysteries again. I really enjoyed “Stalking Susan;” not so much, “Missing Mark.” I can’t quite figure out what’s missing with this one – maybe there was just too much going on – there are at least 3 sub-stories. It was clear to me early on who the murder was, but it wasn’t as much fun seeing the story progress. Kramer is a local author, and uses White Bear Lake, MN as the backdrop to this story, where “Stalking Susan” was set in Minneapolis, so maybe...more
Su
I so enjoyed Julie Kramer's first novel, Stalking Susan, and was thrilled when her follow up came out. Happy to say, I wasn't disappointed. Her mysteries are well written with many dashes of humor thrown in the mix. But I must admit to the two favorite writing tricks that really drew me towards her books. First of all, she is a native Minnesotan and refers to many physical landmarks and legal landmarks that have occured in the state. And to top it all off, her main character is named Riley Spart...more
Marca
TV reporter Riley Spartz is starving for a story when she sees an ad for a wedding dress that was never worn. A wealthy young woman's beau did not show up for their wedding and he has not been seen since. Riley encounters various obstacles in trying to get to the bottom of the groom's disappearance. Not the least of which is her editor who seems more interested in the story of Big Mouth Billy Bass, Minnesota's biggest fish, who is missing from his aquarium. Riley is likeable and has understands...more
Jen
Feb 24, 2014 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: cd
Very enjoyable. Not quite as great as book #1. Prosopagnosia is an interesting premise. Nice twist at the end!
Sharon Kane
Great twisted plot
I read this series out of order and read Shunning Sarah first, which was a much better storyline. Even though I enjoyed the story, I guessed a lot of things before they happened. Still looking forward to the rest of the series.
Katy
Riley Spartz is looking for a story, and she thinks she might have one when she sees an ad for a wedding dress, unworn. The groom left the bride at the altar, and he hasn't been heard of in six months. No activity on his banking, no news whatsoever. As Riley follows the story as well as that of the missing fish, a state recording holding bass, and finding bodies, she uncovers hiddens secrets among the wealthy.

And did I mention Riley has a knack for finding bodies?
Alissa
This the second Riley Spartz book, and it was amusing. My complaint from the first book, about too much background slowing down the narrative has been fixed, although at times Riley's asides about the news business irritated me.

However, this was another interesting mystery, again set during sweeps time and Riley's character development continued.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next Riley mystery. She's a fun feisty mystery heroine.
Katie
Riley Spartz is on the prowl for the next big story in this sequel to Stalking Susan. It all begins with an ad for a wedding dress for sale in the classifieds, and spins itself into a fun mystery.

While this book wasn't as strong as Stalking Susan (the pacing was a bit slow for me, and the mystery not as compelling), it was still an entertaining read, and a good lead into Kramer's next book featuring Spartz, Silencing Sam.
Emily
Enh. I liked Stalking Susan: A Novel, but felt this was a rather mediocre continuation of Rilely Spartz's character. It lacked something - the wit, the excitement, the sensibility of the plot - that Kramer's first novel did, and just never took off. Probably what kept me going through most of this was the portrayal of prosopagnosia.
Ryan Ceresnak
another fairly mediocre mystery....the story was interesting, and I appreciate the multiple storylines playing into the life of an investigative reporter...but those stories were poorly resolved in the end. Like the first book, there were also so many benign and frivolous references to the Twin Cities which didn't move the story along, it was distracting (As a Minneapolis native, I can appreciate them, but it hinders the writing).
  • Prime Time (Charlotte McNally, #1)
  • The Nanny Murders (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #1)
  • Murder at the Academy Awards: A Red Carpet Murder Mystery
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • Make, Take, Murder (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #5)
  • Arsenic and Old Paint (An Art Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • Goodbye, Dolly (Gretchen Birch, #2)
  • Love is Murder (Daytime Mystery, #1)
  • Foul Play at the PTA  (Beth Kennedy #2)
  • Drip Dead (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #3)
  • Third Degree (A Murder 101 Mystery #5)
  • The Northbury Papers (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #2)
  • The Big Dirt Nap (Dirty Business, #2)
  • Death Takes a Honeymoon (Carnegie Kincaid, #4)
  • Cut to the Corpse (A Decoupage Mystery, #2)
  • Death in Show (Dog Walker Mysteries, #3)
  • How to Moon a Cat (The Cats and Curios Mystery Series, #3)
  • Stirring Up Strife (Hope Street Church Mystery, #1)
Julie Kramer has moved from journalist to novelist. She writes a mystery series set in the desperate world of television news—a world she knows well from her career working as a freelance news producer for NBC and CBS, as well as running the acclaimed WCCO-TV I-Team in Minneapolis.

Her thrillers, STALKING SUSAN, MISSING MARK, SILENCING SAM, KILLING KATE, SHUNNING SARAH and soon to come - DELIVERING...more
More about Julie Kramer...
Stalking Susan (Riley Spartz, #1) Shunning Sarah (Riley Spartz, #5) Silencing Sam (Riley Spartz, #3) Killing Kate (Riley Spartz, #4) Delivering Death: A Novel (Riley Spartz, #6)