Chicky Chicky Chook Chook

Chicky Chicky Chook Chook

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  231 ratings  ·  56 reviews
What a great read-aloud, sing-aloud, shout-aloud board book this is, with its fun-to-imitate animal sounds and rhythmic rhyme. Watch as bright yellow chicks, golden bees, and striped kitty cats play in the warm sunshine, clucking and buzzing and skitty-scatting. Then they rest, snoozy-woozy. But what is this? The pitter-patter of raindrops and the crash, bang, wallop of a...more
Board Book, 26 pages
Published March 3rd 2009 by Boxer Books (first published January 1st 2007)

J-Lynn
A read aloud for young children, this book is FULL of rhyming word play, alliteration, sound effects, and onomatopoeia. Also, children will love saying the repetitive lines with you. An example page: "Chick, chicky, chook chook. Chick, chick chick. Chicky, chicky, chook chook, peck...peck...pick." Great for developing pre-reader's phonological awareness.

The illustrations are drawn on a background that looks like a brown, paper bag which makes the yellows, orange, blues, and green really pop. Th...more
Malbadeen
Apr 11, 2009 Malbadeen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sarah and people with kids 2ish - 5ish
Shelves: picture-books
First page:

Chicky, chicky, chook, chook.
Chicky, chicky, chook, chook,

Fizzy, fizzy, buzz, buzz,
busy...
busy...
buzzzzzzzzzz

You're on your own for the rest and it's worth it.
Amy
I hope that my four star rating of this book is accurate, because I read it to kids that I'm not sure it's meant for. Chicky Chicky Chook Chook is certainly well below my niece's reading level, but she was pulled into the story. My nephew is really more into Spider-man than fluffy baby chicks, but he was also pulled into the story. Why?

This book was all about the sound of language, and about how words can be strung together to form really musical, rhythmic sentences. Our voices can create music...more
Elizabeth Sherry
This book was a lot different than most picture books, but in a good way. There is not really a plot but is still a really fun book to be read aloud to children ages 3 to about 5 or 6. The text is almost entirely made up of animal sounds and other sound effects. It is a rhyming book and is almost a tongue twister to read aloud but I really think children would love to say the catchy phrases along with the teacher. They would probably be saying these fun phrases for the rest of the day after read...more
Karen
I might have liked this book a whole lot more if I had read it to my son a year or so ago. At four-and-a-half, he liked the onomatopeia and repetition of sound. He didn't like that there was "no story". In fact, he didn't even count this book as one of his three stories for the night, so we had to read another one.

The artwork, again, he might have liked more when he was younger. He liked the animals chosen for the illustrations. He liked the bright colors and the dynamics on the pages. He just...more
Deb
It's a day in the life story, condensed. Birds, bees, cats are enjoying a day of sun when a thunderstorm catches them by surprise while they are napping and gets them all bedraggled wet: "Sticky, icky, chicky. Soggy, groggy, moggy. Wet. Wet. Wet." Then the sun comes back out with a breeze and they dry out. The illustrations of wet and fluffed out dry are hilarious. I was right in thinking this would appeal to the 11mo. old, for the fun sounds of words. I think it is best enjoyed hearing it read...more
Jess
Hmmm. Not sure. The illustrations aren't my jam and I don't know that I've found a rhythm I like when reading.
Ava
Challenging onomatopoeia tongue twisters with adorable illustrations.
Parker Catlett-Miller
This book will be more fun when he's older and can help make the sounds.
Beth
good example of onomatopoeia
Beth
This is such a fun book. I love the rhymes and the illustrations. And this is a great one to choose for storytimes!
Wooden Horse
I first heard this book read by 2 young girls in our book section. They were reading it in the round. It was hilarious. They each held a copy and after the first girl finished the first page the second girl started reading. By the end of the book they were nearly yelling the words and trying not to laugh to hard. I can't say that my reading was nearly as fun. Needless to say it will always have a place on our shelves thanks to two boisterous girls.
Ali Hembree
This book has a rhythm in which when you read it, you fall into.

I could use this book to teach about how some books have a rhythm to it when you read it. Also, you can use it in a science lesson to teach about different weather and animals. The weather is described by their characteristics for example, the rain makes things wet, the sun dries things up, and the wind blows things over.
Destiny Dawn Long
This book is so much fun to read. It's rhythmic and full of onomatopoeia and rhyme. My daughter loved the play of language. She's really into the sound of words right now, and this was full of great sounds. I think it's the sort of book that even older kids will have fun with because of the sound of the text. It's a great way to expose children to how playful language can be.
Jessica Bennett
I think this book would be good to read to children to help with letter recognition. It may be difficult to read out loud, but I think the children would enjoy listening to you try! They would be learning about different letters and sounds and having fun while doing it!
Rachel
This book is a tongue twister of a book! The words are similar and have a quick pace when you're reading. I would use this book to help children differentiate letters and sounds in the English language. The illustrations go along with the words and it is very entertaining!
Ashley Wampler
Chicky Chicky Chook Chook is an interesting book. It does not have a plot exactly, but rather is a play on a lot of similar sounding words. It is almost written as a tongue twister, but would be great when working with students on words that look similar to one another.
April Hochstrasser
What a fun book. Every page is filled with a mouthful of fun syllables that generally don't mean much but are so fun to say. Try saying "Chicky chicky chook chook." Doesn't it just make you want to laugh out loud? For ages 1-4
Danie P.
Great book to use during storytime with egg shakers to help teach rhythm to children. Many different sounds a cute illustrations. Reminder to self: Make chickens with yellow paint and cotton balls on grocery store bags.
Cindi
The words and sounds and rhythms in this book are very fun. I told my two year old that we were going to take it back to the library. Today, about five days later, he asked about it. Time to check it out again! :)
Audrey
The title of this book made me highly suspicious of it, but I ended up liking it. I'm not sure I'd want to read it ad nauseum like one often does with picture books, but it's unique and enjoyable.
Danielle
Jan 19, 2008 Danielle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Artists
Don't read this book because of the text, because it's written for children. Read it so you can see the amazing illustrations! The author uses a very unique and appealing technique.
Relyn
Jul 10, 2011 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers and parents of young children, for read aloud
Shelves: lawsonland
I'm not sure where I heard of this book or why I requested it, but I am glad I did. The use of language was incredible. I plan to use it as an example text when I teach onomatopoeia.
Kittiya
Feb 28, 2009 Kittiya rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children learning to read
Recommended to Kittiya by: Lisa at Clovis library
Shelves: children
This was a sweet simple read, that my daughter can read to me if she wants to. She is four soon to be five. We both love the pictures and the sing song quality.
Audrey Harlan
This book is good when talking about words and letters that are alike. You can do fun activities centered around this book. Great for english language learners too.
Amy Kid's Books
I thought this book was kind-of silly, BUT I could imagine young children getting a big kick out of it! Check back with me in a couple of years on this one....
Dolly
Apr 04, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their little ones
Shelves: 2009, childrens
This is a cute book with fun onomatopoeia to read out loud. But there's not much to the story and it doesn't flow that well. Just fun noises, no real substance.
Mrs Bond
A very fun book to read aloud. Great way to introduce or showcase onomatopoeia. Illustrations are beautiful; seem so real you want to touch the fuzzy little chicks.
Leila T.
This is a fabulous book (especially for phonological awareness and onomatopoeic fun), and I'm happy to have read it the many, many times I've been asked to.
Elizabeth
The boys never cared for this book but my little girl loves it. The wordplay is okay, but the segmented, bug-type legs on the cats give me the creeps.
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • The Best Pet of All
  • Rain
  • Pouch!
  • Ten Tiny Babies
Monkey Monkey Monkey Spooky Spooky Spooky! Bunny Bunny Catkin. Spooky Spooky Spooky! When, When, When will it be Christmas?