Start by marking “The New York Years: Stories by Felice Picano” as Want to Read:
The New York Years: Stories by Felice Picano

The New York Years: Stories by Felice Picano

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  3 reviews
An Excerpt: Slashed To Ribbons in Defense of Love"It's about time you decided to wake up! We have a brunch at one o'clock, as you very well know."

Gary was up, dressed, sitting across the room sipping coffee and smoking a cigarillo. He'd been out: the Sunday "Times" sat unopened on a nearby chair.

"It's almost twelve now. A cab will take at least fifteen minutes. If we can f
Published May 1st 2000 by Alyson Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The New York Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New York Years

Jack
For the specialty reader, this is a rather remarkable snapshot of gay history in the pre-AIDS era, when fabulous parties meant disco, drugs, and lots of sex - Manhattan, Fire Island, and other gay meccas. Picano is unsparing; these tales are not for the faint of heart. But for those who feel they missed the party, these occasionally raunchy, always insightful short stories tell of an extraordinary and vivd period in contemporary urban gay life.
Tony
Picano offers the reader a chilling snapshot of domestic discord as seen through the eyes of an emotionally bankrupt sociopath in 'Slashed To Ribbons in Defense of Love'. I honestly don't remember if this is the book in which I read that story, but that is irrelevant...its impact on me has remained since I was a teenager.
Mark
Liked these overall though, i liked some better than others, of course. At times, I felt nostalgic for a time in New York that I don't even know. Nice to read something of this time which is focussed on characters and relationships and not solely behaviour and/or activities. Short story form is effective.
Dayrel
Dayrel added it
Apr 28, 2014
Sandy Mitchell
Sandy Mitchell marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Tomeš
Tomeš is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2013
Cheri
Cheri added it
Mar 31, 2013
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2013
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2013
Moureco
Moureco marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2013
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2012