Start by marking “Slaughter” as Want to Read:
Slaughter

Slaughter

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The author of Honor at Daybreak, praised as "a richly authentic American voice" (John Jakes), now writes a new saga that surpasses even his own classic frontier novels. The great Civil War has ended, but on the wild Staked Plains of Texas, another ancient struggle continues as white buffalo hunters slaughter herds of bison and the Commanche nation fights back with strength ...more
Published September 15th 2008 by Texas Christian University Press (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Slaughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slaughter

Chrisl
Oct 20, 2014 Chrisl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
copied and pasted from "KIRKUS REVIEW

An Englishman, a tough girl from Ohio, a cowboy, and a Comanche come together in a search for the last of the great herds of bison--in another outstanding western by the author of Honor at Daybreak (1991). Most Comanches find it impossible to believe the ridiculous rumors that reach them from the territory of the less-than-credible Cheyenne, who believe that white men have begun systematically to eliminate the bison, the animal on which the Plains tribes dep
Melissa
Mar 21, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: texas
Oh Elmer, how I love you. By far, one of my favorite Texas writers and I think I'm just going to have to read all of his books. One of these days. . .
Not an easy tale, which you can probably figure out from the title. The slaughter is of both buffalo and people. Kelton follows both the Commanches, trying to figure out why there are so many fewer buffalo and the buffalo hunters, starting to notice that there aren't quite as many to shoot. Some wonderful character studies of both the hunters and t
Henry
A good western. Would have been great if it had been a little faster paced. I want to read the sequel. First Kelton book I've read - it looks like he writes a pretty solid book, I'll probably read a bunch of them.
Wayne Keith
Jun 06, 2016 Wayne Keith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Kelton novel I ever read, and perhaps his best! I've read 25 or 30 more by him and have enjoyed all of them. Highly recommended, book and author.
Daniel
Mar 03, 2016 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the two narrative viewpoints. Of the Comanche's, and the other of the men seeking the Buffalo further south. The story had adventure and drama enough for me try reading faster to find out what happens. Full spectrum of emotions can be experienced reading haha.
Rosemary
Nov 13, 2009 Rosemary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone reading of the true West.
Recommended to Rosemary by: from the San Antonio library
The Llano Estacada has a lot of history and I have read many books about it. Kelton writes about real people.
Since I grew up in West Texas, I know the Caprock and also the rolling land below it to the East. I have been right at the Double Mountain where this tribe of the People camped. Later, this same Double Mountain became a landmark that pioneers looked for. They wanted to stay South of it, because of the Indians. But on a clear day it can be seen from a long way from many directions.
Fredrick Danysh
The bufflao heards have been killed off and both the Indians and hide hunters are suffering the consequences. For the Indians the struggle for life goes on while the hide hunters fight for ecomonic survival. The two clutures clash. Add to the mix jealousy and men's lust for women.
Pa
Oct 28, 2008 Pa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a western about the conflict between the buffalo hide hunters and the Comanche. Some interesting characters and quite a good plot. Comes close to a 4 star.
Cheri
Apr 22, 2015 Cheri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best case scenario for a good Western if you ask me! Learned good history without realizing I was.
Mary
Sep 27, 2010 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't up to Kelton's usual fast-moving storytelling - I had to work to make myself get through it.
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Kevin Trainer
Kevin Trainer marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
David Shick
David Shick marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Gregory
Gregory rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Ian Springer
Ian Springer is currently reading it
Victor Churchill
Victor Churchill is currently reading it
Brian Lee
Brian Lee marked it as to-read
Stephen Hart
Stephen Hart marked it as to-read
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Xander
Xander added it
Jan 16, 2016
Chris Bunnell
Chris Bunnell marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Mikko
Mikko marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Dalton Duhon
Dalton Duhon marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Elmer Kelton (1926-2009) was award-winning author of more than forty novels, including The Time It Never Rained, Other Men’s Horses, Texas Standoff and Hard Trail to Follow. He grew up on a ranch near Crane, Texas, and earned a journalism degree from the University of Texas. His first novel, Hot Iron, was published in 1956. Among his awards have been seven Spurs from Western Writers of America and ...more
More about Elmer Kelton...