Start by marking “Thriller 2: Stories You Just Can't Put Down” as Want to Read:
Thriller 2: Stories You Just Can't Put Down

Thriller 2: Stories You Just Can't Put Down (Thriller #2)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  418 ratings  ·  61 reviews
When some of the top thriller writers in the world came together in "Thriller: Stories To Keep You Up All Night, " they became a part of one of the most successful short-story anthologies ever published. The highly anticipated "Thriller 2: Stories You Just Can't Put Down" is even bigger. From Jeffery Deaver's tale of international terrorism to Lisa Jackson's dysfunctional ...more
Published May 26th 2009 by Mira (first published January 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Thriller 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thriller 2

Mark Soone
Based upon my ratings my actual tally is 3.179 stars....being a lover of short stories and getting much enjoyment from this series I would call it 3.5 were that an option. I love collections like this because you get a chance to aquaint yourself with some established thriller writers whom you might not have heard of or read otherwise. It also gives you a chance to see how many of these gifted authors are able to bridge the gap from full length features, and try thier hands at the often neglected ...more
Rebecca
After reading the first and third in this series I was excited to read this one. I was also very glad to see that each story was going to be a new original story and not using characters from well-known books written by the authors.
I quite enjoyed Clive Cussler’s commentary it was interesting and didn’t drag out. It told me a little bit of background that I found quite interesting.
The stories were a mixture of great and not so great. I did enjoy the large majority of the stories and some of them
Christine Kayser
A few of the stories in this book were excellent. Most were mediocre. Some were just plain bad. It's apparently really difficult to write a short story that doesn't feel like you just rushed to an ending. I found a couple of new authors whose work I'll probably check out, which was my goal in reading a short story anthology. But man, this was difficult to get through at times.
Gary
Great short storys from some authors I have never encountered before. The one by R. L. Stine creeped me out, I will never, ever trust a monkey angin for the rest of my life...
James
Thie book is nothing more than an advertisement for other books by other authors with short xcerpts from them. A total waste of my time!
Monique
Okay so finished this book of short stories kinda fast because, lets be honest not all short stories are good and they end up coming off rushed and jam in too much information and you never really understand..those are the ones I skipped through (surprisingly there werent that many complete skips though at the end of some I wish I had skipped.) Anyways there were alot of profile thriller writers on this edition so I picked it up from the library with so-so hopes and it exceeded them...slightly.. ...more
Gina
I didn't think I would enjoy this so much but i did. Among my favourites include (1) The House On Pine Terrace, (2) Ghost Writer, (3) Watch Out For My Girl, (4) Boldt's Broken Angel, (5) Can You Help Me Out Here, (6) Suspension Of Disbelief, (7) Protecting The Innocent. This book is a must-read for thriller lovers!
William
A wonderfully thrilling collection of short fiction from some of today's best mystery writers, Thriller 2 is every bit as good as its predecessor. The best stories are the ones written by Ridley Pearson, Sean Chercover, Harry Hunsicker, Phillip Margolin, Joe Hartlaub & Joan Johnston. the biggest disappointment was easily the story "Bedtime for Mr. Li" by David J. Montgomery. I won't ruin it completely, but the whole story follows an assassin who is about to kill an incompetent Chinese spy, a ...more
VegasGal
I think I've learned something about myself reading this collection of short stories that has really nothing to do with the book itself, but it may affect other readers so I figured I'd include it in this review.

I don't really like short stories, somehow a lot of them don't seem finished. Some of the characters are thrown together too quickly and I feel rushed.

but with that said, looking at this book in general it did indeed have good thrilling stories captured within its pages. It was organized
Cameron
Some of these stories were great.... some were not.... most were in between. I am generally not a great fan of short sotries anyway. I find that they are too compressed and don't develop the plot enough. However, a few (very few) really held my interest and I thought they were in fact very good. The majority, however, were good or okay if you had absolutely nothing else to read. Then there were the really bad ones, some of which had no point, most of which made me almost give up (something I ver ...more
Lauren
I wish I could give this 2 1/2 stars...between "it was ok" and "liked it". First the positives...it had been a long time since I read a book of short stories, and I liked being able to put this down / pick it up whenever. Some (very few actually) of the stories were VERY good...clever/thrilling/scary, and they saved this book for me. I'd say MOST of the stories were "meh" and a few were poor...just stupid/not well written, in my opinion. The last story was awesome...they really saved the best fo ...more
Petr Bolek
Tak se mi povedlo dočíst tuhle sbírku. Když jsem restartoval své čtecí období, tak jsem začínal Thrillerem 1 a dle něj jsem si našel spoustu nových autorů. A stále u nich zůstávám. Nečekal jsem, že to u dvojky bude stejné, ale zase, že to bude tak slabé, to tedy taky ne.
Pravda je, že poslední povídka od Ridley Pearsna, je hodně dobrá, ale zbytek za to nestojí. A navíc mám asi raděj delší formáty než povídky.
No nic tak se jde číst něco jiného. Třeba zrovan Cussler, který tohle sestavoval za pro
John Durden
Too many awesome shorts in this book, though there is one in particular that I must mention, because it helped with the development of my own novel, Melatonin. His name is Gary Braver and the story, Ghost Writer, is absolutely thrilling, as it should be.
Steven
Thriller 2 was a lot of fun. I did find a few stories that were interesting, but from my perspective/opinion they didn't feel like a thriller type story. They were good stories from the beginning of the book till the end and held my attention. Infact is was a very quick read and I recommend these Thriller books big time. Although, I recommend the editors of these titles take a little more time proof reading as there were lots of boo boos here and there.
Jeannie
I am about 2/3 of the way thru. Overall - I have decided I am just not a short story person. The title and list of authors led me to expect more than I feel the book has delivered so far. I guess there is still time to change my mind...

Finally made it through. Nope, didn't change my mind. I think some of the stories are well written, and I plan to read more work by some of the authors, but as I noted above I did not like the short stories.
Mark
I love short stories. I've often felt the mark of great writing is felt to greatest effect when an author catches the reader's attention and transports them in the brief passage of a few pages. Thrillers, in particular, sets ones pulse to racing, tempting readers to skip ahead to that final paragraph. I haven't read the first Thriller anthology, but if this collection is anything to judge by I'll be seeking it out soon enough.
Kersten
I read this to see if I could find any new authors to read. It being a collection of short stories, some of them felt a bit rushed. A couple of the stories that I did enjoy were Mariah Stewart's "Justice Served," Lisa Jackson's "Vintage Death," Gary Braver's "Ghostwriter," Joan Johnston's "Watch Out for My Girl," Jon Land's "Killing Time," and Ridley Pearson's "Boldt's Broken Angel."
Barbara Andrews
I love short stories and I love real thrillers and scary stories but I read a very broad mix of genres. I was excited when I saw this and thought it would be good but I was VERY disappointed. The stories didn't paint good sight pictures, didn't draw me in as a reader. It was a dull read to me the characters lacked depth. I won't be reading the others.
Heather
The title of this book did not apply to me. I did not have trouble putting it down. It took me forever to read this. As I looked back through the stories when I was done reading the book, I remember enjoying them, but nothing real memorable sticks out in my mind about them. Great for passing the time, but not a book that you will want to devour.
Barbara ★
All in all not bad if you like short short stories - most are 20 pages or less. Some I liked but most I didn't. I particularly liked the last story by Ridley Pearson, Boldt's Broken Angel. A 50 page serial killer story featuring detective Lou Boldt. It could have been spectacular as a full length novel but was OK as is.
T.M. Carper
I don't usually like short stories, but these were all well-written and great standalones. I really had a hard time putting this collection down. It also introduced me to a bunch of writers I'd never read, but now I have a feel for their writing styles. Thriller lovers will enjoy this, even if it's just for stories by their favorites.
Monty
Some of the stories in this book were terrific, and one deserved a five rating. Others (the minority) fell flat and deserve a one or two rating. So the three rating here is merely an average. If you decide to read this book, I recommend starting from the back because it's some of the earlier ones that aren't so good.
I didn't like this collection of stories as well as the original. It seems that the stories were more about killing than suspense. Reading the original Thriller, I found many new authors to read their novels. However, I there were not many stories in this one that made me want to search out the author's novels.
Kristyh
Another anthology for me. I do enjoy them. I think it would be almost impossible to find one where I enjoy every story, but I did enjoy the majority of these ones. The International Thriller Writers Association is an interesting concept and has worked well to get some great authors with good stories to tell.
Carlissa
Sep 06, 2010 Carlissa rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carlissa by: Audible.com
I got a free short story from this collection of short stories from Audible.com. The story I listened to was Vintage Death by Lisa Jackson and narrated by Tanya Eby Sirois. I am not a fan of short stories, but this one wasn't too bad. I really didn't care for the narrator though.
Katie Kenig
Fun mix of espionage/spy/asassin stories, not for the faint of heart, but for those who like a little suspense. Some fabulous authors are highlighted in this short story collection, which includes great story notes by Clive Cussler that enhance the reading experience greatly.
Jodi
Just read the short story by Joan Johnston in here as I had read another book in the Benedict series. I'm not a fan of short stories. I feel like they aren't finished. I was hoping for a little more about Nash. Doesn't feel like this story is even close to being told.
Chanelle
Not as good as the first collection, but an enjoyable anthology nonetheless. A few of the writers are unfamiliar to me, and it seems that they will remain that way since their novels are not available on Kindle for South African readers. Very short sighted.
Taiyewo
I've had this book for so long it's not even funny. I'm so glad I finally buckled down and read it! Each story was unique in it's own way and short enough to be enjoyable, but still leave you interested enough to turn to the next tale. Awesome compilation!!
Gary
I had read Thriller #1 a few years ago and liked it enough to look forward to reading Thriller #2.
#2 was way better! There was one, maybe two, disappontments in this collection but othereise it was an all around great group of stories.
I CAN and DID Put it Down... 1 3 Sep 02, 2010 01:55PM
  • Thriller: Stories To Keep You Up All Night
  • Watchlist: A Serial Thriller
  • On the Edge: WITH Capsized AND Shelter Island AND Bougainvillea
  • First Thrills: High-Octane Stories From the Hottest Thriller Authors
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror, 2011 Edition
  • Love Is Murder
  • Women on the Case
  • Between the Dark and the Daylight and 27 More of the Best Crime Mystery Stories of the Year
  • Agents of Treachery: Never Before Published Spy Fiction from Today's Most Exciting Writers
  • Under His Skin
  • The Rich and the Dead
  • Book of the Dead 2: Still Dead
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2005
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • The Mammoth Book of the Best of Best New Horror
  • By Hook or By Crook and 30 More of the Best Crime and Mystery Stories of the Year
  • Bad Apples: Five Slices of Halloween Horror
  • The Backstory to Think Twice: A Special Bonus
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more
More about Clive Cussler...
Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11) Inca Gold (Dirk Pitt, #12) Atlantis Found (Dirk Pitt, #15) Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt, #4) Valhalla Rising (Dirk Pitt, #16)