Start by marking “Be a Genie in Six Easy Steps” as Want to Read:
Be a Genie in Six Easy Steps

Be a Genie in Six Easy Steps

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Be careful what you wish for. . . .

When new stepsiblings Milly, Michael, Jason, and Jess move to a town in the middle of nowhere, the last thing they expect is to find a magic book. But then they stumble upon The Genie Handbook, and their lives are changed forever. Each chapter in The Genie Handbook contains one of six stages of training to be mastered, and the kids are th
Published September 15th 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Be a Genie in Six Easy Steps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be a Genie in Six Easy Steps

Spirit Bound by Richelle MeadHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareCity of Glass by Cassandra Clare
Gotta Have 'Em
431st out of 984 books — 1,887 voters

More lists with this book...

Vanessa
Cool concept, but definitely not for grown-ups.

There are some kids' books that can be read by adults and enjoyed. Harry Potter, Fablehaven, and 100 Cupboards are some notable ones. Some however, are clearly written just for kids and adults will just be bored by them. This is one of those.

This book is the story of 4 new step-siblings who are forced to move from their beloved London to a small town when their parents marry and open a book shop. So when they find a book that claims it will teach th
Paige
I saw this at the library and was intrigued by the title so I picked it up. It was a cute romp into a family who discover a magic book and decide to become genies. It was kind of fun, and nice. Being for middle readers, it was a little slow and a little underdeveloped, but I think third to fifth graders would enjoy it.
Terry
Little Kid Reaction: This book was moderately funny, and I think it would be hilarious for young readers. The book is appropriate for all ages, and I recommend it for young readers in elementary or middle school. I would recommend it as a gift because it is quite entertaining.

Big Kid Reaction: Be a Genie revived bedtime story reading in our house! We read this with our 11-year-old from start to finish over several nights. There was just enough suspense to keep us going, and plenty of humor, too.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Kira M for TeensReadToo.com

Part of a newly blended family, Milly, Michael, Jason, and Jess are having trouble adjusting to their new living arrangements. When the four discover a magic book with a resident bookworm, they decide to follow the six steps to becoming a genie.

Things aren't all candy and roses for them, however. The wishes keep going awry, the magic seems to get scarier, and a mysterious couple is following them.

Is there more to the magic book than meets the eye?

A fun-fill
Kelly
Excellent book for middle readers who are still open to finding gems of wisdom in their books...and for adults who just like a feel good story. I really liked this book and enjoyed the characters in all their mis-adventures. This is a perfect book that shows that wishes or magic can't fix every problem without saying that magic can't fix everything. This book is perfect for a group of second or third graders (or adults)who are usually still open to magic and wishes.
Amy
I would have absolutely loved this book as an early middle schooler. It was fun, and fresh, and totally entertaining. The adventures were exciting and it was an amusing premise.

I really enjoyed some of the lessons the kids learned too, like when they tried to clean the house with magic, and had to learn that sometimes there is no substitute for real plain hard work.

A really good book, especially for that younger age group.
Crystal
This book's plot was interesting, but everything seemed to fit together a little too neatly. I was never unsure of how everything would turn out. However, that may be because it was aimed toward younger children. Overall, a nice book that teaches you to be careful what you wish for.
Grace
Nov 12, 2010 Grace added it
from what i read in the book i would think that you would really enjoy this book as well as i did (it was okay but it wasnt as fantastic as you would think it would be
Colleen
Very cute book & quick read. Definately worth reading. I hope there will be a sequel.
Megan
This book is really good you will find your eyes glued to the page
Janell
fun premise. just drags too much.
Jackie Montoya
A junior fiction book.
Love Goodson
Love Goodson marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Karen Perricciolo
Karen Perricciolo marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Jono Mcdermott
Jono Mcdermott marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Vitta
Vitta marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Alejandra Puentes
Alejandra Puentes marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Maggie Schwanke
Maggie Schwanke marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Kristi Fisher
Kristi Fisher marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Debbie Stump
Debbie Stump marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Alex Stump
Alex Stump marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Bunnyjadwiga
Bunnyjadwiga marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Molly
Molly added it
May 30, 2014
Ella
Ella marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Dee Phillips
Dee Phillips marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Linda Chapman was born in Liverpool in 1969. She had many different jobs before becoming a full-time writer in 1999. She worked as a theatre stage manager, a dog trainer, a bookseller, a nanny, a teacher and a research assistant. She has written over 120 books for children, some under her own name, others under different names including the Superpowers series under the name Alex Cliff. Linda lives ...more
More about Linda Chapman...
The Magic Spell (My Secret Unicorn, #1) Dreams Come True (My Secret Unicorn, #2) Starlight Surprise (My Secret Unicorn, #4) Flying High (My Secret Unicorn, #3) Stronger Than Magic (My Secret Unicorn, #5)