Start by marking “Be a Genie in Six Easy Steps” as Want to Read:
Be a Genie in Six Easy Steps

Be a Genie in Six Easy Steps

Be careful what you wish for. . . .

When new stepsiblings Milly, Michael, Jason, and Jess move to a town in the middle of nowhere, the last thing they expect is to find a magic book. But then they stumble upon The Genie Handbook, and their lives are changed forever. Each chapter in The Genie Handbook contains one of six stages of training to be mastered, and the kids are th
Published September 15th 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Be a Genie in Six Easy Steps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be a Genie in Six Easy Steps

Silvara Wilde
Jun 02, 2016 Silvara Wilde rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
Check out my other reviews, discussions and link ups at Fantasy of the Silver Dragon.

This was really cute. The step-sibs got along a lot better than I was expecting them to. And there were a few unbelievable moments, but all in all, I enjoyed it.

I was expecting the bad guy to be worse than what turned out to be the case. Though it totally worked with the reveal at the end, and with the age group the book is aimed at. I liked how the kids had to work together in order to complete each step, and t
Vanessa
Apr 07, 2010 Vanessa rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Cool concept, but definitely not for grown-ups.

There are some kids' books that can be read by adults and enjoyed. Harry Potter, Fablehaven, and 100 Cupboards are some notable ones. Some however, are clearly written just for kids and adults will just be bored by them. This is one of those.

This book is the story of 4 new step-siblings who are forced to move from their beloved London to a small town when their parents marry and open a book shop. So when they find a book that claims it will teach th
Terry
Little Kid Reaction: This book was moderately funny, and I think it would be hilarious for young readers. The book is appropriate for all ages, and I recommend it for young readers in elementary or middle school. I would recommend it as a gift because it is quite entertaining.

Big Kid Reaction: Be a Genie revived bedtime story reading in our house! We read this with our 11-year-old from start to finish over several nights. There was just enough suspense to keep us going, and plenty of humor, too.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Kira M for TeensReadToo.com

Part of a newly blended family, Milly, Michael, Jason, and Jess are having trouble adjusting to their new living arrangements. When the four discover a magic book with a resident bookworm, they decide to follow the six steps to becoming a genie.

Things aren't all candy and roses for them, however. The wishes keep going awry, the magic seems to get scarier, and a mysterious couple is following them.

Is there more to the magic book than meets the eye?

A fun-fill
Mamatufy
Jan 30, 2016 Mamatufy rated it liked it
This was much better than The Last Phoenix. 4 step siblings have just moved to a small town miles away from their beloved London & are now all living together because their parents have recently married. They are not happy with the move & after discovering a book that promises to make them genies in 6 easy steps, they conspire to use the magic to get back to London. Through the course of the book, they have lots of adventures & missteps but in the end they get what they truly desire. ...more
A.
Dec 07, 2010 A. rated it really liked it
I would have absolutely loved this book as an early middle schooler. It was fun, and fresh, and totally entertaining. The adventures were exciting and it was an amusing premise.

I really enjoyed some of the lessons the kids learned too, like when they tried to clean the house with magic, and had to learn that sometimes there is no substitute for real plain hard work.

A really good book, especially for that younger age group.
Kelly
Feb 18, 2010 Kelly rated it liked it
Excellent book for middle readers who are still open to finding gems of wisdom in their books...and for adults who just like a feel good story. I really liked this book and enjoyed the characters in all their mis-adventures. This is a perfect book that shows that wishes or magic can't fix every problem without saying that magic can't fix everything. This book is perfect for a group of second or third graders (or adults)who are usually still open to magic and wishes.
Paige
Oct 15, 2014 Paige rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star, 2014, middle-grade
I saw this at the library and was intrigued by the title so I picked it up. It was a cute romp into a family who discover a magic book and decide to become genies. It was kind of fun, and nice. Being for middle readers, it was a little slow and a little underdeveloped, but I think third to fifth graders would enjoy it.
Maleen
Feb 22, 2016 Maleen rated it liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
3.5 This was a very cute kids book. It would be great as a read aloud book. It is a clean, fast-paced, adventure with magic, genies, tricks, twists, costumes, and family bonding. Be careful what you wish for...
Crystal
Feb 18, 2012 Crystal rated it liked it
This book's plot was interesting, but everything seemed to fit together a little too neatly. I was never unsure of how everything would turn out. However, that may be because it was aimed toward younger children. Overall, a nice book that teaches you to be careful what you wish for.
Grace
Nov 12, 2010 Grace added it
from what i read in the book i would think that you would really enjoy this book as well as i did (it was okay but it wasnt as fantastic as you would think it would be
Allie Van horn
Allie Van horn rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2013
Karla
Karla rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2010
a+s+h+l+y+n+n
a+s+h+l+y+n+n rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2010
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
May 17, 2010
Carro Herdegen
Carro Herdegen rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2012
Bobby
Bobby rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2012
Julie Wingfield
Julie Wingfield rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Janell
Mar 15, 2010 Janell rated it it was ok
fun premise. just drags too much.
Akaki
Akaki rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
|Paige|
|Paige| rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2015
Teresa
Teresa rated it did not like it
Feb 08, 2014
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2011
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2012
Brenda
Brenda rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2011
Mary Fox
Mary Fox rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2015
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2015
Jackie Montoya
Aug 04, 2011 Jackie Montoya rated it liked it
A junior fiction book.
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2011
Dria
Dria rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Linda Chapman was born in Liverpool in 1969. She had many different jobs before becoming a full-time writer in 1999. She worked as a theatre stage manager, a dog trainer, a bookseller, a nanny, a teacher and a research assistant. She has written over 120 books for children, some under her own name, others under different names including the Superpowers series under the name Alex Cliff. Linda lives ...more
More about Linda Chapman...