Start by marking “Outback” as Want to Read:
Outback

Outback (Outback Saga #1)

Savage, vast, lawless and rugged was the Australian outback of 1808. This is where Patrick Garrity chose to carve a life for himself, raise a family, and work his land.

This is an epic story of endurance, hardship, and heartbreak--and of the steadfast and passionate women who bold-heartedly defended all that was Garrity. Patrick's hearty native wife, MAYRAH, was the family
Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Published September 1st 2007 by Leisure Books (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Outback, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outback

Michele
Oct 15, 2010 Michele rated it really liked it
Outback is the first of Aaron Fletcher's Austrailian saga and this first novel covers the founding of the Garrity family. Illegitimate son of a female convict from England, Patrick Garrity pulls himself up by his bootstraps to become owner of one of the largest (and richest) sheep stations in Australia.

Covering the first two (and start of the third) generation to make the Garrity's fortune, the novel focuses more on the women who made it all happen.

It's a compelling read, not one that requires
JaNae
Sep 28, 2012 JaNae rated it really liked it
I really really really enjoy this book. The females are incredibly strong women, and the story is just transportive (yes, I just made that up). It draws you in and takes you through a lifetime and legacy.
Stephanie
May 18, 2009 Stephanie rated it liked it
Excellent. I now really want to read more about this time period in Australia's history. The story focuses on three different generations of an Outback sheep raising family. I will look for more books by this author or on this subject.
Sandra
Oct 19, 2015 Sandra rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, historical
I no longer enjoy those complicated family sagas like I used to..maybe it's because I'm now the 'old' generation. Ha.
john r baucom jr
Oct 20, 2016 john r baucom jr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful, informative

I enjoyed learning more about Australia and its old and new culture.
Its part of a series so start with the first.
Kathi Fowle
Mar 05, 2017 Kathi Fowle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent reading

I've enjoyed this book for many years. I reread it every few years, it gets better with each reading, as I find more details I had missed.
Patricia
Oct 14, 2014 Patricia rated it really liked it
THE LAND WILL MOLD ITS PEOPLE INTO WHAT IT NEEDS
Australia is a land of contradictions, where rain forests are not that distant from the desert. At its heart, it is a vast island. The original human inhabitants lived in difficult partnership with the rugged land, their method of subsistence dependant on their location.
Beginning after the American war for independence, the British court system established several penal colonies in specific parts of Australia. Although some sentences were for only
Maureen Young
Jul 06, 2010 Maureen Young rated it really liked it
This book is the first of an Outback Series. What I mainly like about this book is that the author tells it as it may have been in those days.....The outback would have been a hard place to live....the loneliness, the miles between stations, relying one another for their survival,Some of the characters you can warm to and others hard and unscrupulous. Yet in saying that I love the way the author takes the son of a convict and an aborigine girl put them together and started an empire and continue ...more
SeReatha Ann Stephens
A peak into life in the Australian Outback

I especially liked the descriptiveness of each life episode throughout the story. It held my interest from beginning to end. The use of the language of the Outback gave the story a unique feel. The transitions from one generation to the next were smoothy accomplished and tied the storylines together expertly. I wanted to move to the next event, the next chapter. I was not ready to reach the end of this adventure in the lives of the characters! A most enj
Kathy
Jan 25, 2016 Kathy rated it really liked it
Displaying the strength of The Thornbird and filed with Australian folklore, AF provides his reader with an epic generational novel set in a vast station in New South Wales. The characters are bold and made this reader yearn for more. My only disappointment was the vast leaps in time from one generation to the next. I believe the novel would have benefitted from more elaboration of some of those skipped years.
Bonnie Staughton
Outback was one of those books that you can't put down. The story was very interesting and I learned "a lot" about sheep farming. A lot of the Australian "language" was hard to understand but you can get an idea of what is being said. Living on a sheep station in the outback was very hard, especially on women, and this book made you feel as though you were right there with the women as they rose to the top. I enjoyed it.
deeann linford
Feb 10, 2016 deeann linford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One perception of the history, settlement, and toughness of the people who settled the Australian Outback.

A tough and raw rendition of one author's ideas on what was necessary to settle the Australian Outback. A story that takes and holds your interest until the last page. Love, birth, death, lawlessness, greed, grit, suffering, and the passing on of a special arduous way of life that grips you interest and holds on. Probably a more adult read than for teenagers.
Teri Heyer
Jun 14, 2014 Teri Heyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves historical fiction set in Australia.
Recommended to Teri by: Amazon/Kindle
'Outback' is the first in a five book series of historical fiction set during the early settlement of Australia. Since I have a passion for Australia, historical fiction, and just about any novel set in Australia, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I have all five books in this series on my two Kindles (my old Kindle Keyboard and my newer Kindle Fire) and am looking forward to reading the whole series this summer.
Kathy
Mar 05, 2012 Kathy rated it it was amazing
No 1 of an Outback Series = hope the other two are as good! Very well written as to what the early settlement days were probably like - makes you feel like you were actually there! Great characters you can warm to and others very hard to like. It was great to see the son of a convict and an aborigine girl come together and begin an empire.
Diana Dupre
Oct 13, 2012 Diana Dupre rated it liked it
Not a classic romance novel - which is the main reason I only did 3 stars - but covering the very rugged and different generations overseeing a homestead. Though I missed a romantic feel, it is a good novel and the author depicts the characters as I could easily imagine them to have been during the time period this took place. I appreciate this read.
lloyd A. Musser
Feb 12, 2016 lloyd A. Musser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read!

Much like a good western, but set in Australia with sheep instead of cows. Author uses a look of local slang which is challenging to read but educational. The story spans three generations but skips sections of time between each generation. Will read other works by Fletcher.
CAROL GUNTER
Jan 08, 2016 CAROL GUNTER rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful journey into the Australian outback.

Well written adventure about the life and times , of a family who
Toiled and struggled through three generations of running a sheep
Ranch. Very interesting and different. Good read.
Lori
May 20, 2014 Lori rated it it was amazing
Awesome series. I read the first one and hoped to one day find the 2nd one. When I did it felt like Christmas. and then to find out there were others I was in 7th Heaven. THESE are the books that made me want to visit Australia.
rosanne Marcello
Must read!!!

Unlike so many others, this book jumps right into the action and keeps it going from one page to the next. There's no good place to stop reading and put it down because there's something going on all the time
Gail M. Lupo
Aug 29, 2016 Gail M. Lupo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My introductions to the Outback.

An outstanding book to say the least. Very interesting and descriptive way to visit Australia long ago. Can't wait to start Mr. Fletcher next book. If you like some history with a captivating story read this book!
Anita Mehryari
Apr 14, 2015 Anita Mehryari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally engrossed me.

I generally enjoy stories about the outback, but as this spans generations, and has a strong woman in each, I find myself hating to finish it. I'm so lookin g forward to the sequel.
Jim Parker
Mar 03, 2016 Jim Parker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good on ya, mate!

I just stumbled on this wonderful story of three generations in the Australian outback. The characters are vibrant, the story pulls you along, and in the end you come away with an authentic experience of that place and time.
Muriel
May 05, 2016 Muriel rated it liked it
Loved the first part - the first generation, because it showed the life of Mayrah and how she felt being sold by her father to a non-aboriginal., Patrick. Second part second generation not as interesting. Third part third generation I just read so I could say I finished the book.
Nancy Beals
Dec 15, 2016 Nancy Beals rated it it was ok
I love stories about Australia. Interesting story lines but it was badly written: difficult to read past the syntax, errors, and run-on sentences. Needed a proofreader and editor. It did hold my interest and I will continue with the series in hopes that the next book is easier to get through.
Dave Wetzler
Aug 13, 2010 Dave Wetzler rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I reread this first of a series after quite a few years. I don't know that I'll continue to read the rest of the series but it was well written. After awhile though the story lines were very similar.
Katherine Coble
Feb 28, 2015 Katherine Coble rated it it was amazing
Breathtaking, magnificent book

Update: I finished this book days ago and I'm still homesick for it.
Pamela Mason
Aug 20, 2014 Pamela Mason rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable. I enjoyed the experience!
Terrieb99
Feb 28, 2010 Terrieb99 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book and learning a little about the history of Australia. It is a three part book with sort of three separate stories as the characters age. My favorite was the first part!
John T.
Nov 26, 2015 John T. rated it it was amazing
Excellent writing style, story line. Strong contrast between three cultures the were in the outback.
Anita Hammen
Dec 31, 2014 Anita Hammen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.

Wonderful story. Except for the MANY typos Nd incorrect sentence structures, I enjoyed the back ground history. It read like an historical trilogy!
  • Omamori
  • All The Rivers Run
  • East of the Sun
  • Tara's Song
  • The Vines of Yarrabee
  • The Timeless Land
  • The Summer of the Barshinskeys
  • The Exiles (The Australians, #1)
  • Call Down the Stars
  • The Dreaming: A Novel of Australia
  • Moss Rose
  • The Black Madonna (Roundheads and Cavaliers, #1)
  • Dark Torment
  • Frankenstein's Monster: A Novel
  • Circle Of Pearls
  • Dream Fever
  • Sara Dane
  • The Dig Tree: The Story of Bravery, Insanity, and the Race to Discover Australia's Wild Frontier

Outback Saga (5 books)
  • Outback Station (Outback Sagas)
  • Walkabout (Outback Sagas)
  • Wallaby Track
  • Outback Legacy

“his bland blue eyes not perceiving an essential difference in worth between the diseased or injured whore and the best citizen of the city.” 0 likes
“slipped through it, and closed it behind her. The sudden drenching from the rain made the vertigo intensify, staggering her. She stopped, recovering her balance and clutching the bundle to her, then began walking carefully down the steps. The downpour soaked her nightgown through to her skin in an instant. It plastered her hair to her head and streamed down her face in rivulets which made it hard to see and to breathe. The cold began penetrating, and she was shivering by the time she reached the bottom of the steps. The ground had disappeared under an inches-deep sheet of muddy water which was a boiling mass of miniature waterspouts which lived for their instant as the large, heavy drops struck. The rain was a grey, blinding curtain on all sides, fading into the muddy water covering the ground without a clear line of delimitation, surrounding her with featureless grey. The loss of visual references, the water all around her, and the rain pouring down her face and blinding her made the lightheadedness and lack of contact with her surroundings more pronounced, and she stumbled” 0 likes