Start by marking “Pieces of You” as Want to Read:
Pieces of You

Pieces of You

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  883 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
Epik High leader Tablo's short stories weave together the secrets and anxieties of youth, whispering words of solace to a lost generation.
Published January 30th 2009 by Dal (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Pieces of You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pieces of You

Helena Du
Jun 05, 2012 Helena Du rated it it was amazing
Dear Tablo,

Paper Frontiers
May 08, 2012 Paper Frontiers rated it it was amazing

Review sampled from Paper Frontiers

The stories aren't happy. They seldom end with their characters happy. Instead, you're given deep, insightful & uncensored stories that explore the dark side of human nature -- fear, pride, hate, regret. But along the way you also have characters that learn of the courage it takes to face life. From a son who manages to face his bully-of-a-father, to a young man having a bad drug trip, you're given a handful of such realistic characters with such raw emotio
SEMI PRECIOUS JADE
Aug 20, 2016 SEMI PRECIOUS JADE rated it it was amazing
When I first looked at this book my friend was fangirling over, I just rolled my eyes and thought, just because its related to korean music and all that she wants to read it. I admit, I too was excited that she would be buying this book, reading it and was willing to lend it to me. The one thing I didn't expect: It was WAY better than I thought it would be. The stories are dark, cold and they give an even stronger look at people in the real world, unlike other books where the authors either over ...more
Dawn
Feb 07, 2012 Dawn rated it it was amazing
I'm not good at writing reviews- so please excuse me. I picked up this book in all honesty because I'm a fan of Tablo's music. I was curious. I know he has several degrees from Stanford, and I'm not ashamed to say I've got a slight case of hero worship when it comes to him- but I'm still harsh when it comes to books. I can't help it. I'm a 20- something with a penchant for video games and a case of ADD. (Not to sell myself short intellectually, but that's just how it is. I get bored easily.) Thi ...more
Fateha
Jul 06, 2013 Fateha rated it it was amazing
Every semblance of writing, whatever form it chooses to present itself in, has some broader purpose/s. This broader purpose is displayed by the author's choice and use of language, often represented though various figurative and rhetorical devices.

Sometimes, when a novel or written piece exhibits an exceptional importance, I make an effort to analyze the linguistic skills employed by the author to give it that flare, that depth. Perhaps the most successful of attempt of this art that I have wit
Liz
Dec 19, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I'll admit, I picked this book up because I'm a fan of Tablo's music. It's a bit superficial, I know, but at the same time if I hadn't known who Tablo was, I never would have picked this book up and I would have been worse for it.

Pieces of You is a little rough, more so than anything I've read before, and has a lot of real world darkness that I personally have never experienced. It was eye-opening. The writing style was very beautiful and sometimes lyrical, full of very visceral senses, and I co
Cate (The Professional Fangirl)
Mar 22, 2016 Cate (The Professional Fangirl) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads, own
The respect that I have for this man is immeasurable. 고맙습니다, 타블로.
Harun Harahap
Aug 05, 2014 Harun Harahap rated it really liked it
Shelves: pinjam, fiksi, english, kumcer
Gue suka ilustrasi hitam putih di buku ini.

Ada tiga momen yang melekat di otak gue:
1. Dialog ayah (pengidap Alzheimer) dan anaknya di cerpen Adante. Keduanya yang berprofesi sebagai pianis, berbinvang tentang apa yang didengar.

2. Dialog Jeonsuk dan pacarnya di cerpen Hate Crime. Jeonsuk yang merupakan Korea-Amerika merasa kesal karena pacarnya menyamaratakan semua orang asia dari negara manapun sama saja.

3. Adegan Jacob bunuh diri dalam cerpen Coupe de Grace. Membuktikan pada ayahnya yang delusi
Kenneth Jun
Jan 23, 2011 Kenneth Jun rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I purchased the book in Korea and it was shrink-wrapped so I couldn't even preview it. Turns out that the text is pretty big and the lines are spaced out really far apart so it was actually a really quick read. The thing is, I was expecting more because it looked thicker than it really was.

The actual stories are okay. I don't know if it's because of some pre-conceived notions I have towards Tablo but most of the stories aren't that memorable I guess.

I'd say if you can borrow it from someone go
Mpur Chan
Aug 19, 2015 Mpur Chan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Read more in: http://readingwonderland.tumblr.com/p...

Awalnya saya tidak tahu kalau Tablo menulis sebuah buku. Saya mendengarkan musik-musiknya belakangan ini sejak Tablo muncul di sebuah reality show bertajuk Superman Returns bersama putrinya, Haru. Sampai akhirnya saya iseng mencari keyword Haru karena sedang mencari buku terbitan penerbit Haru. Dan, buku Pieces of You adalah salah satu buku yang muncul di hasil pencarian! What a coincidence! Ternyata, salah satu teman saya di Goodreads sudah
Roos
May 13, 2010 Roos rated it really liked it
Recommended to Roos by: Andi F. Yahya

Tentang Lelaki Dingin

Bahkan mata kita pun tak beradu -saat itu- Di Toko Merah. Berlanjut di sebuah pojok -saat itu- entah apa yang ada di pikiranmu, bintang, lampu ataukah petir yang tiba-tiba berkilat di kepalamu sehingga kau mengingatku.

Dingin kau bilang. Wah, aku pernah seperti itu -Dingin- Sepi kau bilang. Wah, aku mulai serius. Kemudian kau memulai cerita pengembaraanmu, pertemuanmu dengan wanita perkasa dari negeri dingin, tiba-tiba kau melompat ke seorang parasit yang aku hanya sebatas t
Mery
May 11, 2010 Mery rated it liked it
Recommended to Mery by: e.c.h.a
Shelves: pinjam
My heart was closed. Cold.
I was self-conscious and cynical.

There are the pieces of my youth,
the small secret and the not-so-great expectations
that defined my coming of age.

But through the craft, through my love for writing,
I discovered a world outside of the small windowless one
I had built for myself.
A world of softspoken beauty.

So here I am,
choosing to kick away the ladder
so that I may remain at your side.

I understand your solitude
I see your shadow.

2009. Feb, Tablo

Jujur aja baca ini bikin aku
e.c.h.a
May 08, 2010 e.c.h.a rated it really liked it
Recommended to e.c.h.a by: Andi Yahya
Terpaku dan diam.

Entah apa yang harus saya tulis untuk menggambarkan cerita-cerita dalam buku ini. Cerita-ceritanya nya terlalu mengejutkan untuk saya, menghempaskan saya ke suatu ruang yang saya sendiri tidak tahu ruang seperti apa.

Hitam dan Kelam.

Saya terus menelusuri kepekatan, terbawa oleh suatu keyakinan akan adanya cahaya dalam kekelaman. Walau itu hanya secercah cahaya. Secercah cahaya yang membuat saya tersenyum.

Kegelapan pasti akan menemukan cahayanya sendiri.

Terima kasih untuk mas And
Kim
Oct 04, 2010 Kim rated it it was amazing
I actually picked up this book wondering to myself, "What can a musician of his caliber write? What more in English?" At the time I was having writer's block and had to produce a piece for my Advance Creative Writing class but was definitely in a tight spot. I never regretted getting the book. The minute I picked it up I couldn't put it down. The book is a compilations of stories which Tablo had written during his college years. The man is not only amazing at composing and writing lyrics but thi ...more
Kay
Mar 26, 2009 Kay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, asia, america
The language used is simple and clean, perfect for creating the quiet anxious atmosphere in which the characters live.Tablo comes out with small phrases and imagery that make me almost envious if i wasn't so awed.
The first story 'Andante' explores the relationship between father and son and music and make the book truly worth buying.
Ria Destriana
Oct 23, 2015 Ria Destriana rated it it was amazing
Pieces of You ditulis oleh leader Epik High–salah satu grup hip hop terbaik di Korea Selatan, Daniel Armand Lee atau yang lebih dikenal dengan nama Tablo. Buku ini terdiri dari 10 cerita pendek yang masing-masing bercerita tentang getirnya hidup. Berikut rangkuman beberapa cerita yang ada dalam kumpulan cerpen ini.

Andante, bercerita tentang seorang anak dan sang ayah yang sakit Alzheimer. Keduanya adalah pianis.

Break, cerita terpendek di kumcer ini. Tentang guru yang sedang depresi dan membutuhk
Anastasia Cynthia
Ada segudang effort ekstra dari gue untuk mendapatkan buku ini. Mulai dari nekat pengin beli via online di Amazon (tapi dilarang orangtua), dan untungnya gak jadi. Lalu, ingin beli via forum TabloIndonesia juga, tapi ternyata PO-nya udah ditutup, selain itu harganya juga mahal tenan. Well, tapi sepertinya Tuhan tahu kalau gue beneran sangat pengin membaca buku ini, dan voila, tiba-tiba beberapa hari lalu, ada terjemahan Bahasa Indonesia-nya di rak "new release" Gramedia.

Dari awal, kenapa gue pen
Rifatus Sariroh
Untuk sementara bintang 3. Terjemahan bahasa Indonesianya sedikit agak aneh, jadi baru bisa benar-benar yakin setelah saya membaca versi bahasa Inggrisnya. Duh tapi kapan ya? Di online shop langganan bukunya udah tidak ada persediaannya. :'(
Dyan Eka
Aug 22, 2015 Dyan Eka rated it liked it
Shelves: novel-terjemahan
Awal aku baca ini, aku kira novel, ternyata bukan. Kirain isinya tentang cerita curhatan sepanjang masa muda Tablo, ternyata bukan. Isinya ternyata kumpulan cerpen, kalau aku boleh nyebut semua cerita di buku ini cerpen sih.
Baru ngeh kalo ini ternyata kumpulan cerpen, pas udah baca cukup banyak halaman, hampir tengah-tengah buku.
‘kok nggak nyambung sih’
‘lah hubungannya ini sama cerita sebelumnya apa cobak’
‘oh ternyata ini kumpulan cerpen’

Ada beberapa cerpen yang cukup mudah dipahami inti cerita
Maltal
Jan 05, 2015 Maltal rated it it was amazing
Sudah lama saya ingin membaca buku ini. Setelah mendapatkan versi bahasa Indonesianya, saya memutuskan untuk membeli versi Inggrisnya, karena terjemahannya tidak terlalu bagus.

Sepuluh kisah pendek di buku ini berbicara banyak tentang hidup. Tablo memih mengangkat sisi yang lebih 'gelap', tapi tetap realistis. Apa adanya. Cerita tentang luka tapi juga bahagia dalam perspektif yang berbeda.

Andante menjadi pembuka yang sangat menarik, sekaligus memberi tanda bahwa cerita yang didapat bukan soal g
Jasmine Oetoro
Oct 30, 2014 Jasmine Oetoro rated it really liked it
First time i know about this book is from someone i stalked on goodreads. i think she read the bahasa-translated version of it which on the new arrival shelves on major bookstores in indonesia.
Have to admit that i don't really read the blurb (which is not much of a blurb anyway) but it really piqued my interest that Tablo wrote this. I'm a fan of his music you see. He could make some really deep deep songs. And although writing a book and songwriting is a different thing, i'm willing to give thi
Farah Putrizeti
Aug 02, 2015 Farah Putrizeti rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Aku awalnya tidak menyangka bahwa Tablo sudah menulis sebuah buku.

Mungkin sama seperti sebagian besar pembaca dan penikmat musik di luar sana,aku pertama kali mengenal Tablo sebagai salah seorang anggota dari grup hip-hop terkemuka Korea Selatan dibawah naungan YG Entertainment yaitu Epik High.Sebagai seorang penggemar,aku mengakui bahwa Tablo adalah seorang penulis lirik yang brilian.Lirik demi lirik dalam berbagai lagu yang ditulisnya memiliki makna yang mendalam dan membuatku jatuh hati.Aku
Mpur Chan
Aug 19, 2015 Mpur Chan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read more in: http://readingwonderland.tumblr.com/p...

M
Oct 16, 2015 M rated it it was amazing
Review sampled from maria-literata:

Pieces of You is a collection of short stories, much like Junot Diaz's Drown and This is How You Lose Her without the overlapping of stories and characters. Each story varies in length but shares the similar dark cloud that follows the characters. By no means are any of these happy stories or meant to uplift you in any way. However, I found myself moved and uplifted, not by the content, but by Tablo's lyrical storytelling.

Each of these stories felt like glimpse
Faezah Mahtar
May 21, 2016 Faezah Mahtar rated it it was amazing
Do not expect happy ending-there were none. In fact, we will be served with those darker roads of lives. Sad parents theme? Checked. Depressing teen lives? Completed. Adult conflicts? Delivered successfully. Beautiful delivery of sadness? -to the perfection. It ain't too sad, because at points, we still can laugh.

For me, the one that touched me the most is Andante. Being typical asian, we're close to our parents. But what if one day those close relationship turns into something bugging us becau
Putri Azhari
Jul 09, 2015 Putri Azhari rated it really liked it
Shelves: rak-buku-hime
Buku ini pertama kali di rekomendasikan oleh seorang yang entah-bagaimana-bilangnya-hidupnya-sibuk-mengikuti-perkembangan-musik-saja-. waktu itu kami sudah lama tidak bertemu dikarenakan tempat kuliah yang berbeda. jadi hari itu saya mengiriminya email dan pembicaraan dimulai.

si teman meninggalkan judul buku ini dalam pesan terakhir beserta judul lagu Tablo (Dear Tv) yang katanya 'Kau dengar, ya? wajib!'.

jujur saja, setelah melakukan keduanya saya jadi memikirkan Tablo. memikirkan Tablo yang ber
Mila
Jul 27, 2014 Mila rated it it was ok
I really like Tablo. I think he is a great musician and seems to also be a great person.
The first story -in my opinion- was awful, even though some of the others were really nice. I was almost giving this 3 stars because there were some storys I enjoyed and I think it is interesting that he wrote this more about how life is, all storys play in that dull reality existing everywhere...
I definitely don't think it is a bad book, and after I read some other reviews I feel like being the only one who
Greta
He know he could
But in the end
It will go
As the rain fall

Thank you Mr. Lee, for every pieces of your words. You gave me light. But it wasn't enough. Therefore, Thank you very much.
Ashley Riddle
May 21, 2015 Ashley Riddle rated it it was amazing
This is such a special touching book of short stories and poetry from an amazing musical artist. Tablo was born in Korea but traveled the world with his family and going to school at Stanford as a young adult. He's now an incredible rapper in SK. All of his stories made me cry and feel incredibly emotional and that was his point. I think every person of most any age can read this book and relate to it's stories in some way. The story of his father's Alzheimer's was particularly touching, since I ...more
Kyle
May 04, 2016 Kyle rated it it was amazing
Pieces of You by Tablo is a series of ten gloomy, modern, and concerning short stories revolving around the mid to late stages of youth as a boy. Stories range from struggles within a family, and struggles as an Asian-American in a Western community and society. Some things I found notable and enjoyable in the book was the diversity in stories and creativity put into each story. Every story sets another standard for the next short story. The stories can get deep and dark, but it's all very stimu ...more
  • Fox Girl
  • 23 Episentrum
  • An Ideal Husband; A Woman of No Importance
  • The Cigarette Girl
  • Perempuan Yang Dihapus Namanya
Daniel Armand Lee, whose Korean name is Lee Seon-Woong (이선웅), is more commonly known by his stage name Tablo (타블로). He is a hip hop musician, rap artist, songwriter and lyricist. He is best known as the rapper and leader of the South Korean hip hop group Epik High.
More about Tablo...

“It didn’t rain for you, maybe, but it always rains for me. The sky shatters and rains shards of glass.” 210 likes
“Cowards, I believe, are people who are afraid to embrace what they want or need in a natural, honest way.” 126 likes