Start by marking “Must Love Hellhounds (Sookie Stackhouse #9.2; Guild Hunter #0.5; Kate Daniels #3.5; The Guardians #5.5)” as Want to Read:

Must Love Hellhounds (The Guardians #5.5)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  11,582 Ratings  ·  606 Reviews
In these hound-eat-hound worlds, anything goes…and everything bites.

Follow paranormal bodyguards Clovache and Batanya into Lucifer’s realm, where they encounter his fearsome four-legged pets, in “The Britlingens Go to Hell.” Seek out a traitor in the midst of a guild of nonlethal vampire trackers, one that intends to eradicate the entire species of bloodsuckers, in “Angels
Published September 1st 2009 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Must Love Hellhounds, please sign up.

Yoru Hey,
Hey,
well, currently it doesn't really matter (it can be read like a stand-alone) but if you really want to know it's after Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) (it's between #3 and #4) (less)

Jilly
I just read the Deacon and Sarah story from the Guild Hunters series. The thing about these novellas are that the insta-love has to be extra insta in order to fit it in less pages. This is the case. I love how Deacon sleeps with her once and then gives up his entire life to be with her. She must be pretty special. In bed.

Sorry, couldn't resist! ;-)
Dina
*** NOTE: This rating is for Nalini Singh's ANGELS' JUDGMENT only! ***

If you're a fan of the Guild Hunter series, you'll want to read this novella. It shows how Sara, NY's Guild Hunters Director, and Deacon, her husband, met and fell in love. Very entertaining story!
Mandi Schreiner
Sep 17, 2009 Mandi Schreiner rated it really liked it
It is hard to go wrong buying an anthology with the authors Charlaine Harris, Nalini Singh, Ilona Andrews and Meljean Brook. As the title promises, each story features hellhounds in one way or another.

The Britlingens Go to Hell - Charlaine Harris

Batanya and Clovache are bodyguards hired by a thief named Crick to help him retrieve a conjuring ball that he lost in Hell. Crick has stolen this conjuring ball from Lucifer, and in his haste to leave, he misplaced it. He needs the ball back because he
MelissaB
Guild Hunter story by Nalini Singh - 4 stars (could have used more detailed love scenes)

Kate Daniels story by Ilona Andrews - 3.5 stars (I like Kate's voice better)
Lora
Aug 29, 2011 Lora rated it liked it
Note: This review is only for Ilona Andrews' short story, Magic Mourns.

Length: 90 pages
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

If you liked Andrea and Raphael in Magic Burns and Magic Strikes, this short story is a must read for you. That is, if you can ignore the repulsive cover.

Magic Mourns takes place about six weeks after the events in Magic Strikes and two weeks before the beginning of Magic Bleeds. In Magic Mourns, Andrea, a knight of the Order, must team up with Raphael, a werehyena with romantic feeling
Quinn
The Britlingens Go to Hell - Charlaine Harris

The Britingens appeared briefly in one of the Sookie Stackhouse books, but this book bears next to no resemblance to that series. For those readers like me who must read series in order – and also seem compelled to read the novellas in anthologies – please trust me on this: You can give this one a miss.

This one started off OK (just ‘OK’), and the Britlingen bodyguards and the Collective had potential, but then they ended up taking a trip to Hell to pr
AH
Feb 11, 2011 AH rated it really liked it
Charlaine Harris, Nalini Singh, Ilona Andrews, and Meljean Brook make a nice combination in this anthology about hellhounds. The major draw for me was Magic Mourns by Ilona Andrews. I must say that I enjoyed all the stories in the book and I am glad to have discovered some new favorite authors and series to explore.

The Britlingens Go to Hell - Charlaine Harris
I found this to be the weakest story in the anthology. It’s nothing like the Sookie Stackhouse series. I did like Clovache and Batanya
Pete
Apr 09, 2015 Pete rated it it was amazing
Must Love Hellhounds are four hellhound doggy book shorts by Charlaine Harris, Nalini Singh, Ilona Andrews, and Meljean Brook. . I can’t believe I’ve had this book in my library so long without reading.

The Britlingens Go to Hell by Charlaine Harris (3 stars)

Britlingens? I’m NCAA No Clue At All , who in the world are Britlingens? I’ll have to search into Charlaine’s Sookie Stackhouse series. Maybe she’s like Snooky Wookums from Krypto the Superdog.

Sorry Charlaine, I’ll put your series on my
Eilonwy
Sep 23, 2014 Eilonwy rated it liked it

A novella collection by four different authors is hard to rate.

I found all of the stories to be well-written and enjoyable, but none of them would scream "Read the books in this universe!" at me if I weren't already familiar with the authors. Hence the three-star overall rating.

I enjoyed "Magic Mourns" the most, partly because I'm currently reading the Kate Daniels books. The Charlaine Harris story was good, but since it was about characters who barely play a part in the Sookie Stackhouse stor
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Magic Mourns by Ilona Andrews - 4 stars
Kickass h/h. Loved the emphasis on their romance. It somehow made me love them more, if that's even possible. And all the mythology made this novella that much more interesting. Not sure if I liked the change of narration at the end though. But it was good nevertheless.

Favourite Quote:
“I’m game,” Raphael shivered. “I don’t suppose you have any spare clothes?”
“You should have thought of clothes before you decided to go human.”
The sinful smile was back. “I
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
Leah
THIS RATING IS JUST FOR THE GUILD HUNTER AND KATE DANIELS STORIES.

MUST LOVE HELLHOUNDS - 4.5 STARS

"Angels' Judgment" by Nalini Singh - 5 stars
This novella was so adorable! I love Deacon and Sara is pretty awesome. I'm glad we got to see how they got together and Sara becoming the Guild Director.

"Magic Mourns" by Ilona Andrews - 4 stars
I haven't read any of the Kate Daniels series, but I heard that this novella about Andrea and Raphael was great, so I had to read it.
Renégade ♥
4 1/2 stars

Rating for Blind Spot by Mejean Brook ONLY

Excerpt (or why one may want to think very carefully about messing with a hellhound):

(view spoiler)
Kim
Jun 27, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it
I bought 'Must Love Hellhounds' for two stories: Nalini Singh's 'Angels' Judgement' and Ilona Andrews's 'Magic Mourns'

Angel's Judgement: 5/5
I loved it!As a prequel to one of my favourite paranormal series, it was perfect. I loved seeing how Sara became the Guild Director, and how she fell in love with Deacon. I was a little concerned with their "Love at first sight" approach, but in a short story things have to move quickly, and it was easy to move past that when you know where their lives are
Steph
"The Britlingens Go to Hell" by Charlaine Harris
Although set in Sookie's "world" this felt more like one of Charlaine Harris' fantasy novels. Assassins/bodyguards Clovache and Batanya are required to accompany a thief to Hell itself. They encounter demons of all kinds (including a couple of not-entirely-fearsome hellhounds), and attempt to steal a treasure from Lucifer himself. Rating: 3

"Angel’s Judgment" by Nalini Singh
I love Nalini Singh’s Guild’s Hunters series and this was a great addition.
Kat
Apr 30, 2011 Kat rated it liked it
4 novellas, all ostensibly about hellhounds somehow.

"The Britlingens Go to Hell" by Charlaine Harris- Sucked, one star story. Pulled the whole volume down a full star. Took me 3 weeks to read it. If you've read the Sookie Stackhouse books, the Britlingens appear there. Frankly, they were different, but not nearly interesting enough to get me into the story. It was only through sheer force of will that I finished it. The link to the theme of the novels was tenuous at best. Basic plot: the 2 Britl
Kati
An anthology of 4 urban fantasy stories.

"The Britlingens Go to Hell" by Charlaine Harris:
A mix of fantasy and sci-fi which is not my cuppa. I prefer either one or the other. Slightly confusing mythology. But points for some unconventional ideas, like a couple of female bodyguards or a man as the object of Lucifer's sexual desire, still rather novel conceptions, even today.

"Angel's Judgment" by Nalini Singh:
Quite easy to follow mythology and likable main characters. Amazing secondary charac
The Flooze
Charlaine Harris: The Britlingens Go to Hell
*2.5 - 3 stars*
Clovache and Batanya made their first appearance in All Together Dead. That book may be my favorite of the Sookie series - the epitome of Vampire Business - and the two bodyguards added an extra layer to our understanding of vampire paranoia. And wealth. Warrior bodyguards from another dimension! From what I recall, the two were highly logical, utterly efficient, and conducted themselves with a detached sort of honor.

In this novella, w
Stacey
Jan 18, 2011 Stacey rated it really liked it
Magic Mourns is a solid 4.5 star short story about Andrea and Raphael. Just enough action, smexy time and Greek mythology to keep the story intriguing yet fast paced. And we find out some interesting and mysterious information about Curran!!

The Guild Hunter novella, Guild Hunter #1.5, is another solid 4.5 star short story. Loved it!!! Great incite into Elena's BFF Sara and Deacon. So far in the books we haven't seen much of Deacon, so this short story let you get to know him pretty well. And oh
Bry
I skipped Harris's story since I am not a fan of the Sookie books, but I beyond adored the other 3 stories. Even the Guild Hunter and Guardian stories which I have not read the novels for, and yet was not lost within the universe. And of course Andrews's story was fabulous as always. All of the plots were engaging, suspenseful, hot, and totally enjoyable! Definitely worth rereading once I have read Angel's Blood and some of the Guardian novels.
Anna
Jan 11, 2015 Anna rated it liked it
Bought for the Ilona Andrews story.

Overall the novellas feature more character development and romance than sex, which made a pleasant change. Personally I would skip the first story but the others all have some entertainment value. 3/4*

Charllaine Harris - The Britlingens go to Hell 1*
You could just accept that I'm not a Harris fan but support her anthologies. Bizarre story that felt like it was a 1960s sci fi B movie complete with corny script and plastic set.

Ilona Andrews - Magic Mourns 5*
And
Amyiw
Jan 11, 2016 Amyiw rated it really liked it
Read the Andrews story in 2012 and Singh story in 2013. I decided to finish since I've since read the first few Sookie novels of Harris and the first novel of Iron Seas, which although not in the Guardian series, got me to move the author up my TBR.

Charlaine Harris's The Britlingens Go to Hell. 2 1/2
So I have no idea what this had to do with Sookie. Britlingens are known, hired bodyguards/guards. The names were hard to follow at first as you get a bunch of strange names/characters in a strange
Sophia
Aug 16, 2015 Sophia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pnr-uf
As this is an anthology and I picked it up because it includes stories from series that I'm reading, I will be rating these individually, out of order and over a long period of time.

Angel's Judgment by Nalini Singh
#.5 Guild Hunter
This was a fun and feisty prequel telling the story of Sara's first days transitioning from Guild Hunter to director and her romantic adventure with Deacon. It was well developed, tight and just sizzled. Nice use of the novella-length. Rating: 5 Stars

Magic Mourns by Ilo
Colleen
Nov 02, 2009 Colleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology
I bought this for one short story... Ilona Andrews' Magic Mourns ...and it was DEFINATLY worth it. I glanced at the other stories and wanted to read them since I did buy the book... but none of them held my interest enough to read more than a couple of pages.

"Magic Mourns" by Ilona Andrews
Setting: Atlanta (Kate Daniels world)
Timeline: after Magic Strikes

You don't have to read the Kate Daniels series to enjoy Magic Mourns, but if you haven't, why not??? You're REALLY missing out!

Magic Mourns inc
VampireNovelFan
May 10, 2011 VampireNovelFan rated it really liked it
MAGIC MOURNS
No better way to make this short story more special than to receive it from the authors themselves!! I'll certainly cherish the copy!

But that aside, I will review as objectively as possible. Magic Mourns is a short story included in the Must Love Hellhounds anthology that shifts the focus from Kate Daniels to her best friend, Andrea Nash. She's been handling Kate's affairs at her office until she gets a call to investigate a weird three-headed dog that seems to be running free. It tu
Melindeeloo
Sep 26, 2009 Melindeeloo rated it it was amazing
Man's Best `Fiend' puts in an appearance in Stories you can really sink your teeth into

Four of my favorite authors: Charlaine Harris, Meljean Brook, Iona Andrews and Nalini Singh all in one book, Yippee! Most of the stories were the perfect kind of connected shorts, ones which explore side characters so as not to take away from the main arc of the authors' popular series but which are still fun fill-ins for these wonderful worlds. If you are a fan of Brook's Guardians, Andrews' Kate Daniel's wor
Elysium
The Britlingens Go To Hell by Charlaine Harris
Batanya and Covache kind of bodyguards who are contracted by a customer to guard him on a way to Hell. He stole something from Lucifer on his last trip but left there while escaping and now goes to collect it.

There was witches, magic, hellhounds and things happened. Can’t really say anything more about that one. Definitely the weakest one on this book.

Angel’s Judgment by Nalini Singh
Deacon is a Slayer who works for the Guild and his job is a secret a
Cindy
Oct 16, 2009 Cindy rated it really liked it
Charlaine Harris's The Britlingens Go to Hell - you've got to admire a story that can do a credible hob of combining magic, Hell, Amelia Earhart, Narcissus and [of course:] hellhounds. These are NOT lovable hellhounds.

Angels' Judgment - Nalini Singh - Although it stood well enough on it's own, I got the distinct impression there were nuances I was missing because I haven't read the Guild Hunter books yet. The hellhound had only a small part - as the original junkyard dog...

Magic Mourns - Ilona A
Cissa
Oct 07, 2009 Cissa rated it really liked it
I loved Andrews's story, and "Blind Spot" was fun- and the only one in the book where people actually DID love a hellhound!

Harris's was fun, too, though it was a pretty straightforward fantasy with only incidental hellhounds.

I wasn't too fond of Singh's story; that sort of "erotic tension" where people can hardly keep their hands off each other after first glimpsing the other usually seems silly and overdone to me, especially when there's no time to get to know them at all. Also, totally incide
Shannon (Savhage Temptrest)
Sep 25, 2009 Shannon (Savhage Temptrest) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"The Britlingens Go to Hell" by Charlaine Harris was another interesting story from the author! We first met the Britlingens Batanya and Clovache in "All Together Dead" at the Vampire summit in Rhodes as hired bodyguards protecting a high-level vampire King. I enjoyed the brief preview of these characters from that book, and couldn't wait until Ms. Harris wrote about the two again.
In this story, we get to find out about who the Britlingens are in general, and about how they are hired and perform
  • Hexed (Kate Daniels, #4.5; Otherworld, #9.5; Stormwalker, #2.5; Anna Strong Chronicles, #6.5)
  • Dark and Stormy Knights
  • Angels' Pawn (Guild Hunter, #0.6)
  • Burning Up (Children of the Sea #3.5; Psy-Changeling #0.6; Iron Seas #0.5)
  • Fathers and Sons (Curran POV, #2)
  • Demon Forged  (The Guardians, #5)
  • Powers of Detection: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • An Enchanted Season (Psy-Changeling #0.5; Murphy Sisters #1)
  • The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance
  • Under Her Skin
  • Down These Strange Streets
  • First Blood (Includes: Laws Of The Blood, #5.5; Vegas Vampires, #5; Vampire Babylon, #2.5; The Guardians, #3.5)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr
More about Charlaine Harris...

The Guardians (8 books)
  • Demon Angel (The Guardians, #1)
  • Demon Moon (The Guardians, #2)
  • Demon Night (The Guardians, #3)
  • Demon Bound (The Guardians, #4)
  • Demon Forged  (The Guardians, #5)
  • Demon Blood (The Guardians, #6)
  • Demon Marked (The Guardians, #7)
  • Guardian Demon (The Guardians, #8)

“Outside I hopped into our vehicle, the taint of vampiric magic clinging to me like greasy smoke.
“I feel soiled.”
“Like walking into a room after a day of work, falling into bed, and realizing the sheets are covered in cold K-Y jelly,” Raphael said.
I just stared at him.
“With a funky smell,” he added.
My Order conditioning failed me. “Ew.”
Raphael grinned.
“I‟m not even going to ask if that‟s happened to you.”
I started the vehicle. “Has that happened to you?”
“Yes.”
Ew. “Where?”
“In the bouda house. I was really tired and you‟ve seen that place: everything smells like sex . . .”
“I don‟t want to know.” I peeled out of the parking lot.
"So where are we going?”
“To Spider Lynn‟s house. We‟re going to dig through her trash, and if that doesn‟t work, we‟ll do some breaking and entering.”
Raphael frowned. “Do you know where she lives?”
“Yes. I memorized the addresses of all the Masters of the Dead in the city. I have a lot of time on my hands.”
He squinted at me, looking remarkably like a gentleman pirate from my favorite romance
novels. “What else do you store in your head?”
“This and that. I remember the first thing you ever said to me. You know, when you carried me from the cart into the tub so your mother could fix me.”
“I imagine it was something very romantic,” he said. “Something along the lines of „I‟ve got you‟ or „I won‟t let you die.‟
“I was bleeding in the bathtub, trying to realign my bones, and my hyena glands voided from the pain. You said, „Don‟t worry, we have an excellent filtration system.‟”
The look on his face was priceless.
“That can‟t be the first thing.”
“It was.”
We drove in silence.
“About the K-Y,” Raphael said.
“I don‟t want to know!‟
“Once I washed it out of my hair—”
“Raphael, why are you doing this?”
“I want to make you go "Ew‟ again.”
“Why in the world would you want to do that?”
“It‟s an irrepressible male impulse. It just has to be done. As I was saying, once I washed it out—”
“Raphael!”
“No, wait, you‟ll like the next part.”
20 likes
“Look under the passenger seat in a black plastic bin. There should be a book.”
Raphael hopped out, dug under the seat, and pulled out a dog-eared copy of The Almanac of Mystical Creatures.
“Got it,” I said into the phone.
“Page seventy-six.”
Raphael flipped the book open and held it up. On the left page a lithograph showed a three-headed dog with a serpent for a tail. The caption under the picture said CERBERUS.
“Is that your dog?” Kate asked.
“Could be. How the heck did you know the exact page?”
“I have perfect memory!”
I snorted.
She sighed into the phone.
“I spilled coffee on that page and had to leave the book open to dry it out. It always opens to that entry now.”
18 likes