Must Love Hellhounds (Sookie Stackhouse, #9.2; Guild Hunter, #0.5; Kate Daniels, #3.5; The Guardians, #5.5)

Must Love Hellhounds (The Guardians #5.5)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  9,464 ratings  ·  514 reviews
In these hound-eat-hound worlds, anything goes... and everything bites.

Follow paranormal bodyguards Clovache and Batanya into Lucifer's realm, where they encounter his fearsome four-legged pets, in Charlaine Harris's The Britlingens Go to Hell.

Seek out a traitor in the midst of a guild of non- lethal vampire trackers, one that intends to eradicate the entire species of bl...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Berkley Trade

Dina
*** NOTE: This rating is for Nalini Singh's ANGELS' JUDGMENT only! ***

If you're a fan of the Guild Hunter series, you'll want to read this novella. It shows how Sara, NY's Guild Hunters Director, and Deacon, her husband, met and fell in love. Very entertaining story!
♥ Sarah ♥
The Britlingens Go to Hell by Charlaine Harris: (3 stars)
(Sookie Stackhouse, #9.2)
Two Britlingens named Batanya and Clovache are hired to escort a man from Pardua, named Crick, to Hell in order to retrieve an item he's "misplaced". What's a Britlingen? I have no clue. It's not really explained in the story, so I'm assuming it's explained in a previous Sookie novel that I have yet to read.

This is apparently a story that takes place in the Sookie Stackhouse world. However, it doesn't have Sookie i...more
MelissaB
Guild Hunter story by Nalini Singh - 4 stars (could have used more detailed love scenes)

Kate Daniels story by Ilona Andrews - 3.5 stars (I like Kate's voice better)
Mandi Schreiner
It is hard to go wrong buying an anthology with the authors Charlaine Harris, Nalini Singh, Ilona Andrews and Meljean Brook. As the title promises, each story features hellhounds in one way or another.

The Britlingens Go to Hell - Charlaine Harris

Batanya and Clovache are bodyguards hired by a thief named Crick to help him retrieve a conjuring ball that he lost in Hell. Crick has stolen this conjuring ball from Lucifer, and in his haste to leave, he misplaced it. He needs the ball back because he...more
Lora
Note: This review is only for Ilona Andrews' short story, Magic Mourns.

Length: 90 pages
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

If you liked Andrea and Raphael in Magic Burns and Magic Strikes, this short story is a must read for you. That is, if you can ignore the repulsive cover.

Magic Mourns takes place about six weeks after the events in Magic Strikes and two weeks before the beginning of Magic Bleeds. In Magic Mourns, Andrea, a knight of the Order, must team up with Raphael, a werehyena with romantic feeling...more
Quinn
The Britlingens Go to Hell - Charlaine Harris

The Britingens appeared briefly in one of the Sookie Stackhouse books, but this book bears next to no resemblance to that series. For those readers like me who must read series in order – and also seem compelled to read the novellas in anthologies – please trust me on this: You can give this one a miss.

This one started off OK (just ‘OK’), and the Britlingen bodyguards and the Collective had potential, but then they ended up taking a trip to Hell to pr...more
AH
Charlaine Harris, Nalini Singh, Ilona Andrews, and Meljean Brook make a nice combination in this anthology about hellhounds. The major draw for me was Magic Mourns by Ilona Andrews. I must say that I enjoyed all the stories in the book and I am glad to have discovered some new favorite authors and series to explore.

The Britlingens Go to Hell - Charlaine Harris
I found this to be the weakest story in the anthology. It’s nothing like the Sookie Stackhouse series. I did like Clovache and Batanya...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Magic Mourns by Ilona Andrews - 4 stars
Kickass h/h. Loved the emphasis on their romance. It somehow made me love them more, if that's even possible. And all the mythology made this novella that much more interesting. Not sure if I liked the change of narration at the end though. But it was good nevertheless.

Favourite Quote:
“I’m game,” Raphael shivered. “I don’t suppose you have any spare clothes?”
“You should have thought of clothes before you decided to go human.”
The sinful smile was back. “I...more
✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽
Leah
THIS RATING IS JUST FOR THE GUILD HUNTER AND KATE DANIELS STORIES.

MUST LOVE HELLHOUNDS - 4.5 STARS

"Angels' Judgment" by Nalini Singh - 5 stars
This novella was so adorable! I love Deacon and Sara is pretty awesome. I'm glad we got to see how they got together and Sara becoming the Guild Director.

"Magic Mourns" by Ilona Andrews - 4 stars
I haven't read any of the Kate Daniels series, but I heard that this novella about Andrea and Raphael was great, so I had to read it.
Kim
I bought 'Must Love Hellhounds' for two stories: Nalini Singh's 'Angels' Judgement' and Ilona Andrews's 'Magic Mourns'

Angel's Judgement: 5/5
I loved it!As a prequel to one of my favourite paranormal series, it was perfect. I loved seeing how Sara became the Guild Director, and how she fell in love with Deacon. I was a little concerned with their "Love at first sight" approach, but in a short story things have to move quickly, and it was easy to move past that when you know where their lives are...more
Steph
"The Britlingens Go to Hell" by Charlaine Harris
Although set in Sookie's "world" this felt more like one of Charlaine Harris' fantasy novels. Assassins/bodyguards Clovache and Batanya are required to accompany a thief to Hell itself. They encounter demons of all kinds (including a couple of not-entirely-fearsome hellhounds), and attempt to steal a treasure from Lucifer himself. Rating: 3★

"Angel’s Judgment" by Nalini Singh
I love Nalini Singh’s Guild’s Hunters series and this was a great addition....more
Kat
4 novellas, all ostensibly about hellhounds somehow.

"The Britlingens Go to Hell" by Charlaine Harris- Sucked, one star story. Pulled the whole volume down a full star. Took me 3 weeks to read it. If you've read the Sookie Stackhouse books, the Britlingens appear there. Frankly, they were different, but not nearly interesting enough to get me into the story. It was only through sheer force of will that I finished it. The link to the theme of the novels was tenuous at best. Basic plot: the 2 Britl...more
Kati
An anthology of 4 urban fantasy stories.

"The Britlingens Go to Hell" by Charlaine Harris: ♣ ♣ ♣
A mix of fantasy and sci-fi which is not my cuppa. I prefer either one or the other. Slightly confusing mythology. But points for some unconventional ideas, like a couple of female bodyguards or a man as the object of Lucifer's sexual desire, still rather novel conceptions, even today.

"Angel's Judgment" by Nalini Singh: ♣ ♣ ♣
Quite easy to follow mythology and likable main characters. Amazing secondary...more
The Flooze
Charlaine Harris: The Britlingens Go to Hell
*2.5 - 3 stars*
Clovache and Batanya made their first appearance in All Together Dead. That book may be my favorite of the Sookie series - the epitome of Vampire Business - and the two bodyguards added an extra layer to our understanding of vampire paranoia. And wealth. Warrior bodyguards from another dimension! From what I recall, the two were highly logical, utterly efficient, and conducted themselves with a detached sort of honor.

In this novella, w...more
Stacey
Magic Mourns is a solid 4.5 star short story about Andrea and Raphael. Just enough action, smexy time and Greek mythology to keep the story intriguing yet fast paced. And we find out some interesting and mysterious information about Curran!!

The Guild Hunter novella, Guild Hunter #1.5, is another solid 4.5 star short story. Loved it!!! Great incite into Elena's BFF Sara and Deacon. So far in the books we haven't seen much of Deacon, so this short story let you get to know him pretty well. And oh...more
Bry
I skipped Harris's story since I am not a fan of the Sookie books, but I beyond adored the other 3 stories. Even the Guild Hunter and Guardian stories which I have not read the novels for, and yet was not lost within the universe. And of course Andrews's story was fabulous as always. All of the plots were engaging, suspenseful, hot, and totally enjoyable! Definitely worth rereading once I have read Angel's Blood and some of the Guardian novels.
Colleen
I bought this for one short story... Ilona Andrews' Magic Mourns ...and it was DEFINATLY worth it. I glanced at the other stories and wanted to read them since I did buy the book... but none of them held my interest enough to read more than a couple of pages.

"Magic Mourns" by Ilona Andrews
Setting: Atlanta (Kate Daniels world)
Timeline: after Magic Strikes

You don't have to read the Kate Daniels series to enjoy Magic Mourns, but if you haven't, why not??? You're REALLY missing out!

Magic Mourns incl...more
VampireNovelFan
MAGIC MOURNS
No better way to make this short story more special than to receive it from the authors themselves!! I'll certainly cherish the copy!

But that aside, I will review as objectively as possible. Magic Mourns is a short story included in the Must Love Hellhounds anthology that shifts the focus from Kate Daniels to her best friend, Andrea Nash. She's been handling Kate's affairs at her office until she gets a call to investigate a weird three-headed dog that seems to be running free. It tu...more
Melindeeloo
Man's Best `Fiend' puts in an appearance in Stories you can really sink your teeth into

Four of my favorite authors: Charlaine Harris, Meljean Brook, Iona Andrews and Nalini Singh all in one book, Yippee! Most of the stories were the perfect kind of connected shorts, ones which explore side characters so as not to take away from the main arc of the authors' popular series but which are still fun fill-ins for these wonderful worlds. If you are a fan of Brook's Guardians, Andrews' Kate Daniel's wor...more
Elysium
The Britlingens Go To Hell by Charlaine Harris
Batanya and Covache kind of bodyguards who are contracted by a customer to guard him on a way to Hell. He stole something from Lucifer on his last trip but left there while escaping and now goes to collect it.

There was witches, magic, hellhounds and things happened. Can’t really say anything more about that one. Definitely the weakest one on this book.

Angel’s Judgment by Nalini Singh
Deacon is a Slayer who works for the Guild and his job is a secret a...more
Cindy
Charlaine Harris's The Britlingens Go to Hell - you've got to admire a story that can do a credible hob of combining magic, Hell, Amelia Earhart, Narcissus and [of course:] hellhounds. These are NOT lovable hellhounds.

Angels' Judgment - Nalini Singh - Although it stood well enough on it's own, I got the distinct impression there were nuances I was missing because I haven't read the Guild Hunter books yet. The hellhound had only a small part - as the original junkyard dog...

Magic Mourns - Ilona A...more
Cissa
I loved Andrews's story, and "Blind Spot" was fun- and the only one in the book where people actually DID love a hellhound!

Harris's was fun, too, though it was a pretty straightforward fantasy with only incidental hellhounds.

I wasn't too fond of Singh's story; that sort of "erotic tension" where people can hardly keep their hands off each other after first glimpsing the other usually seems silly and overdone to me, especially when there's no time to get to know them at all. Also, totally incide...more
Shannon (Savhage Temptrest)
"The Britlingens Go to Hell" by Charlaine Harris was another interesting story from the author! We first met the Britlingens Batanya and Clovache in "All Together Dead" at the Vampire summit in Rhodes as hired bodyguards protecting a high-level vampire King. I enjoyed the brief preview of these characters from that book, and couldn't wait until Ms. Harris wrote about the two again.
In this story, we get to find out about who the Britlingens are in general, and about how they are hired and perform...more
Gator Girl
The Britlingens Go to Hell/C.Harris: So yeah..the Britlingens showed up as the magnificently built women guards from another world that a King vamp used as bodyguards in a Sookie book.(ATD book#7) I don't care about them...I'm trying to read the story and their world is just not established enough or the characters...for me to be interested in this story. I'm skimming...and there's the honest truth for you.

Magic Mourns/Ilona Andrews: Loved it! I'm a huge fan of Ilona Andrews and I don't ever fee...more
Ren
4 stars... just for Angel's Judgment *g*

For Ilona Andrews, I just read one of her book On the Edge, so I pass Magic Mourns, because it part of Kate Daniels series, and I'm not read it yet (but I will. Soon)

For Meljean Brooks, I'd read her Guardian series and The Iron Duke, but I can't connect with her writing style, so I pass her story too.

For Charlaine Harris, not big fans of her Sookie series, why I read her story? :P

Anyway, I admit that I'm crazy about Guild Hunter series now (found myself...more
I liked this! It's a collection of 4 novellas. 2 were by authors I have read before, 2 were by authors I hadn't...

The first is a story by Charlaine Harris (Southern Vampire series). Meh. This was just OK. By far the weakest in the book.

Second was a story by Nalini Singh, whom I've not read before. I liked it, it was easy to read, paced just right for a short story, with memorable worldbuilding and good characters. I might read more of her books in the future.

Third is a story by Ilona Andrews set...more
Katharine Kimbriel
This anthology was a lot of fun, and once again, I got three good – even great – stories and one so-so. I picked up the anthology because I was enjoying the Kate Daniels stories by Ilona Andrews, and there’s a story from that world in here. Also, I regularly enjoy the many worlds of Charlaine Harris.

Turns out I found two new writers to investigate, but the Harris story was very forgettable. The easiest way to describe it is, it felt like she was under an obligation to come up with something, and...more
Tasha Turner
THE BRITLEGENS GO TO HELL by Charlaine Harris - could not get into the story at all. Not my cuppa tea

ANGEL'S JUDGMENT by Nalini Singh - kinda cute, vampires, angels, vamp hunters, mystery, murder, romance

Magic Mourns by Ilona Andrews - Story of Andrea & Raphael - cute, enjoyed, fun, quick read, felt complete, understandable even if you haven't been reading her books, just enough world building to clue newbies in while not so much repetition to turn off long time readers. Good character build...more
(´*•.¸ღBexღ¸.•*´)
This was a pretty good selection of stories. My favorite stories were "Magic Mourns" by Ilona Andrews, "Angels' Judgement" by Nalini Singh and "Blind Spot" by Meljean Brook. I am a big Ilona Andrews and Nalini Singh fan and these stories don't disappoint. Meljean Brook's story was a surprise for me. I thought Harris's story was written in kind of an amateurish style and was my least favorite. Singh's story had a niceamount of romance, not too much and was set in a very interesting world.

- The B...more
  • Hexed (Kate Daniels, #4.5; Otherworld, #9.5; Stormwalker, #2.5; Anna Strong Chronicles, #6.5)
  • Burning Up (Children of the Sea, #3.5; Psy-Changeling, #0.6; Iron Seas, #0.5)
  • Dark and Stormy Knights
  • Angels' Pawn (Guild Hunter, #0.6)
  • Under Her Skin
  • Unusual Suspects: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • First Blood (Includes: Laws Of The Blood, #5.5; Vegas Vampires, #5; Vampire Babylon, #2.5; The Guardians, #3.5)
  • Kate's Daddy (Curran POV, #3)
  • An Enchanted Season (Psy-Changeling, #0.5; Murphy Sisters, #1)
  • Demon Forged  (The Guardians, #5)
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • Inked (World of the Lupi, #4.7)
  • Unbound (The Hollows, #7.5; Night Huntress, #0.5; Sign of the Zodiac, #4.5; Dark Days, #0.6)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr...more
More about Charlaine Harris...
Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2) Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5)

“Look under the passenger seat in a black plastic bin. There should be a book.”
Raphael hopped out, dug under the seat, and pulled out a dog-eared copy of The Almanac of Mystical Creatures.
“Got it,” I said into the phone.
“Page seventy-six.”
Raphael flipped the book open and held it up. On the left page a lithograph showed a three-headed dog with a serpent for a tail. The caption under the picture said CERBERUS.
“Is that your dog?” Kate asked.
“Could be. How the heck did you know the exact page?”
“I have perfect memory!”
I snorted.
She sighed into the phone.
“I spilled coffee on that page and had to leave the book open to dry it out. It always opens to that entry now.”
17 likes
“Outside I hopped into our vehicle, the taint of vampiric magic clinging to me like greasy smoke.
“I feel soiled.”
“Like walking into a room after a day of work, falling into bed, and realizing the sheets are covered in cold K-Y jelly,” Raphael said.
I just stared at him.
“With a funky smell,” he added.
My Order conditioning failed me. “Ew.”
Raphael grinned.
“I‟m not even going to ask if that‟s happened to you.”
I started the vehicle. “Has that happened to you?”
“Yes.”
Ew. “Where?”
“In the bouda house. I was really tired and you‟ve seen that place: everything smells like sex . . .”
“I don‟t want to know.” I peeled out of the parking lot.
"So where are we going?”
“To Spider Lynn‟s house. We‟re going to dig through her trash, and if that doesn‟t work, we‟ll do some breaking and entering.”
Raphael frowned. “Do you know where she lives?”
“Yes. I memorized the addresses of all the Masters of the Dead in the city. I have a lot of time on my hands.”
He squinted at me, looking remarkably like a gentleman pirate from my favorite romance
novels. “What else do you store in your head?”
“This and that. I remember the first thing you ever said to me. You know, when you carried me from the cart into the tub so your mother could fix me.”
“I imagine it was something very romantic,” he said. “Something along the lines of „I‟ve got you‟ or „I won‟t let you die.‟
“I was bleeding in the bathtub, trying to realign my bones, and my hyena glands voided from the pain. You said, „Don‟t worry, we have an excellent filtration system.‟”
The look on his face was priceless.
“That can‟t be the first thing.”
“It was.”
We drove in silence.
“About the K-Y,” Raphael said.
“I don‟t want to know!‟
“Once I washed it out of my hair—”
“Raphael, why are you doing this?”
“I want to make you go "Ew‟ again.”
“Why in the world would you want to do that?”
“It‟s an irrepressible male impulse. It just has to be done. As I was saying, once I washed it out—”
“Raphael!”
“No, wait, you‟ll like the next part.”
17 likes