Start by marking “Tin City (Mac McKenzie, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tin City (Mac McKenzie, #2)

Tin City (Mac McKenzie #2)

Mac McKenzie is rich. So rich that he's left his job as a Twin Cities police officer and spends his time doing favors large and small for friends. So when an old Marine buddy of his father's calls with a request Mac takes the time to help him out. And it is one of the stranger favors he's ever been asked: the elderly Mr. Mosley, a beekeeper, wants Mac to find out why his b
Mass Market Paperback, 323 pages
Published October 1st 2006 by Leisure Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Tin City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tin City

Scoats
Feb 25, 2014 Scoats rated it it was amazing
I tore though this one.

Pretty much perfect mystery book. Suspenseful with good twists and turns, a really easy read, great characters with true depth, a very observant first person narrator, the hero is a heroic in a totally believable way. The author does a great balancing act of combining a dark story with fun. St. Paul makes for a great setting that has been so far underused. 5 stars.
Al Iverson
Nov 14, 2010 Al Iverson rated it really liked it
An odd, but fun, detective story set in Minneapolis/St. Paul. Or actually, it is set mostly in Hilltop, MN. This was a lot of fun. Gangsters and rogue FBI agents, oh my!
Laurel Bradshaw
Aug 14, 2013 Laurel Bradshaw rated it really liked it
This is the kind of book one inhales rather than reads. I finished it in two days. Something between a cozy and a thriller, there is action, humor, a little romance, a likeable but flawed detective, quirky characters, and local color. I picked this book for our Norwood Young America book club, because part of the action is centered here. I am also familiar with St. Paul, the Merriam Park Library, the University of Minnesota St. Paul campus area, have worked all over Minneapolis, and in ...more
Terrence
I liked it, but nothing more. On the back of my edition of Tin City, David Housewright got quite a few high praising reviews. I think they were over-exaggerated.

The story starts by introducing Rushmore "Mac" MacKenzie, a young retired cop that got lucky after busting a high-bounty criminal. He's a pretty nice guy as I got to know, who enjoys to help his friends out for whatever reason they need. This was cool with me, until I started to see his wise-alecky nature.

Tin City was written in a first-
LJ
TIN CITY (Unlicensed Investigator-Twin Cities, MN-Cont)- VG
Housewright, David – 2nd in series
St. Martin's Minotaur, 2005- Hardcover
Mac McKenzie retired from the police force in order to receive a $3 million reward and now spends his time doing favors for his friends. Mr. Mosley, a beekeeper and second father to Mac, asks him to look into the reason why his bees are dying. What starts as a simple favor turns violent, deadly and involves the FBI and the Mafia.
*** Mac is one of my favorite characte
Jackie
Nov 21, 2013 Jackie rated it liked it
Shelves: read-mystery
This is a bit unusual but fun. McKenzie has struck it rich and has left the police force. He now spends his time “doing favors” for people he likes. When his father’s friend, Mr. Mosley asks him to figure out what is killing Mr. Mosley’s bees, McKenzie goes to work. Unfortunately, things go wrong very quickly, when the student McKenzie hires is shot at while she is collecting samples by the side of the road. Shortly afterward, Mr. Mosley is murdered. This book has almost everything, the Mafia, ...more
Hapzydeco
Could Jim Rockford have been the inspiration for Rushmore McKenzie? A Los-Angeles-based private investigator type turns up in Minneapolis and Saint Paul, Minnesota. While this novel tilts between a cozy and a thriller and the settings and locations around the Twin Cities make for informative reading, Kasey Musgraves describes trailer park living better.
Spuddie
Sep 25, 2010 Spuddie rated it really liked it
Mac MacKenzie mystery set in and around the Twin Cities, MN. Mac works as a private investigator but due to having his own financial resources, often takes cases without a paying client. In this book, Mr. Mosley, an old friend of his father's, asks him to look into what could be causing the demise of the honeybees in his hives. Mac hires a research assistant to a friend of his at the University to go out and take soil samples--and when she ends up getting shot at by an unknown farmer, Mac pays ...more
Gail
Aug 11, 2016 Gail rated it it was amazing
Rushmore McKenzie is an independently wealthy man, a former cop, who does favors for his friends as his main activity; that and furnishing his house with ten year old boy carnival toys like a sno-cone maker and a mini-donut machine. He's called in by his father's best friend and Marine buddy, Mr. Mosely, to investigate why the elderly beekeeper's bees are dying. Not all of them, just some placed in a certain area. Even though Mac hates bees, he agrees. And what follows is a complicated mystery ...more
Anna Marie
Jan 02, 2016 Anna Marie rated it liked it
Mac is at it again, taking a simple problem and finding a terrible mess. It starts with a simple request from an old family friend, Mr. Mosley, to find out why his bees are dying. Mr. Mosley is like a second father to Mac. He hires a student from the university to take soil samples to determine where the pesticide is coming from.

It's at that point where it starts getting complicated. Shots are fired at Ivy, the university student. Then Mac and Nina, his girlfriend, are shot at, and two of his fr
Sonja Isaacson
Aug 01, 2007 Sonja Isaacson added it
Shelves: mystery
This is the second book about his character McKenzie. This one takes place more around Chaska than St. Paul which is too bad only because I'm not very familiar with Chaska. It's better than the first book because the issues I had with the first are cleared up (he doesn't list every single street he turns on to, and isn't so preoccupied with what music he's listening to).
Kae Cheatham
Nov 01, 2011 Kae Cheatham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rush McKenzie agrees to help his father's best friend, a beekeeper, and then the man is murdered. That's the first of a series of misadventures that get McKenzie into trouble with the FBI, several murders, and identity theft and mob action. Set in the Twin Cities area, sense of place is strong, and so is McKenzie's personality.
Amanda
Feb 10, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it
The first half of this book is very well written and exciting, and then in the second half it kind of falls flat. I actually skimmed through the last few chapters because I had lost interest. Too bad, because it started out strong.
Al Stoess
Dec 27, 2012 Al Stoess rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Housewright fans. Mystery fans.
Another interesting McKenzie book by Housewright. I'm not sure where the title came from - maybe I missed it. It provides a good setting for future books that I've already read by Housewright. Better than average book. Possibly not as good as some of his others.
james
Nov 15, 2008 james rated it liked it
It's my first read by this author. There's a wealthy private eye investigating a friend's murder. Plenty of good plot twists in this mystery which takes place in Minnesota's Twin Cities. It's an easy read.
Julie
Jul 01, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it
Another quick read, and funny he would mention in his book that another author has written about Mpls and a cop here.
Sheree Ross
Aug 05, 2012 Sheree Ross rated it really liked it
Mckenzie is a likable character, I do believe this is the authors second book. I would like to see his writing develope a little more,,,,,,hes good, but needs some polish.
Gail
Jul 08, 2015 Gail rated it really liked it
Another good read from Mr. Housewright -- I like Mac McKenzie's style. I hope the series keeps getting better!
Ruth
Oct 04, 2013 Ruth rated it liked it
This is the second book I have read in this series. Takes place in Minnesota, are a little gritty, but I like the main character. Have to decide whether to continue . . .
Emily Grace
Aug 23, 2016 Emily Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Held my interest.

A bit strained, but overall worth a night read. Will read the book in this series. Plot held up ok.
Marcia Schilling
Very good. I like this author. Betsy told me about this series. It gets you caught up in the main character's life and you want for more.
Joe O'c
Nov 27, 2009 Joe O'c rated it liked it
Very Good; Continuing character: Rushmore McKenzie; when an old friend of his is murdered and the wife of his lawyer raped, McKenzie goes after NY gangsters who've relocated to Minnesota
Stephanie Wnetrzak
Jun 14, 2012 Stephanie Wnetrzak rated it it was amazing

Very much enjoying this series! Great characters, excellent dialogue, interesting plotting.
Ingrid
Ingrid rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Donna.
Donna. rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2015
Annie
May 04, 2012 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
love my local guy!
Seth
Seth rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2012
Kitty Myers
Kitty Myers rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2015
Divotdigger
Divotdigger rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2011
Raymond
Raymond rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2015
  • Hunter's Moon
  • A Safe Place for Dying (Dek Elstrom #1)
  • Blood Hollow (Cork O'Connor, #4)
  • A Deadly Affair at Bobtail Ridge (Samuel Craddock Mystery, #4)
  • A Dance of Ghosts (PI John Crane, #1)
  • Blunt Darts (John Francis Cuddy, #1)
  • Gallows Lane (Inspector Devlin, #2)
  • Broken Hearted Ghoul (Taxi for the Dead #1)
  • Our Lady of Pain (Mark Tartaglia, #2)
  • Dante's Poison (A Mark Angelotti Novel #2)
  • Knee High by the Fourth of July (Murder-by-Month Mystery #3)
A reformed newspaper reporter and ad man, Housewright's book "Penance" (Foul Play Press) earned the 1996 Edgar Award for Best First Novel from the Mystery Writers of America and was nominated for a Shamus in the same category by the Private Eye Writers of America.

"Practice to Deceive" won the 1998 Minnesota Book Award (it is currently being developed as a feature film) and "Jelly's Gold" won the s
More about David Housewright...

Mac McKenzie (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • A Hard Ticket Home (Mac McKenzie, #1)
  • Pretty Girl Gone (Mac McKenzie, #3)
  • Dead Boyfriends (Mac McKenzie, #4)
  • Madman on a Drum (Mac McKenzie, #5)
  • Jelly's Gold (Mac McKenzie, #6)
  • The Taking of Libbie, SD (Mac McKenzie, #7)
  • Highway 61 (Mac McKenzie, #8)
  • Curse of the Jade Lily (Mac McKenzie, #9)
  • The Last Kind Word (Mac McKenzie, #10)
  • The Devil May Care (Mac McKenzie, #11)