Start by marking “The Canal” as Want to Read:

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  15 reviews
For detective Joe Lombardi, when a body is discovered dangling beneath the Carroll Street Bridge, the first place he turns to for answers is the nearby canal. With its long history of pollution and neglect, the canal has gained a dubious reputation for ruining people's lives -- Joe's included. But to Joe's younger partner, Alan D'Angelo, Joe is little more than a liability...more
Published December 22nd 2008 by Diversion Books

To ask other readers questions about The Canal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Canal

Kathryn
This book grabbed my interest right from the start but what I was amazed at through the entire thing is that I loved the voice, the narration, the words flowed very well and that is something I always notice, a mega pet peeve of mine. I also thought the dialogue was very well done.

Another pet peeve of mine is not being able to sympathize with any characters. I did not undersstand some of the actions taken (or lack of action) and I have a problem with children in horror stories, no matter the sc...more
Daniel Clausen
What do you get when you take one hard-boiled cop, used to the grime and dirt of the seamy underworld, and a meticulous up-and-coming detective, more acute with mini-vacuum than pistol? You get the two main characters of this highly enjoyable horror story. Their antagonism drives the novel from beginning to end.

The genre of the book is a cross between hard-boiled detective story and horror--though the second aspect is much more prominent. The author's talent lies in his description. He doesn't...more
Marvin
This is a taut horror thriller. The two main characters, if not that likable, have intense flaws that feed well into this type of suspense tale. Part monster tale and part psychological suspense thriller, it moves fast and keeps you turning the page. I especially like the fact that the protagonists, two detectives, really do not like each other, a nice twist on the usual "buddy cop" theme that is shamelessly over-used in most similar tales. Another nice touch is the canal itself,which practicall...more
Alanna
I received this as an ebook from Daniel Morris on LibraryThing's Member Giveaway. Though the book was more of a horror story than I was led to believe (& I am a not a fan of horror!), I actually enjoyed it.

When a body is found hanging over the derelict canal, dueling detectives Joe Lombardi and Alan D'Angelo both vow to solve the murder. The novel follows these two detectives, as we discover their histories, as well as the history of the local canal.

Daniel Morris has created solid characters...more
Sharon Bressen
By Daniel Morris

This free e-book was received from the LibraryThing Member Giveaway program in exchange for a review.

This book is really one heck of a good horror story. It starts with a bang and has a very twisted ending that you never expect.

The author, Daniel Morris certainly has an excellent capacity to describe all the gory details to the point you can smell and taste your surroundings.

Alan D’Angelo works as a detective in Brooklyn, NY and is the vision epitome of the “Mr. Clean”...more
This has been one of the most descriptive books I have read in a long time. The Canal, is one of those books that is like a guilty pleasure; There are so many “wrong” things going on in the story, but you can not help yourself from putting the book down. It is definatly not a book for the person with a weak stomach (some of the writing was some of the most disgusting stuff I have read in quite sometime. Since I am not one of those, I found the story enjoyable. I was quite impressed with the amou...more
Maggie Light
Andrea Love
This is a very entertaining read. The title suggests that it will be a tale of horror, but I did not feel that the author restricted himself to this description exclusively. This tale weaves storylines of science fiction and murder mystery with a touch of romance here and there. Following detectives Alan and Joe, two unlikely partners, as they try to solve the murders that are cropping up, I couldn’t help but become entranced by the pervasive neurotic dichotomy presented by Alan and Joe’s partne...more
Darcia Helle
This book grabbed my attention from the first paragraph and never let go. The plot was something you might expect from Stephen King or Dean Koontz. But the writing style was absolutely unique. Daniel Morris has a captivating way with words, an ability to describe something so that you can feel, hear, smell, and taste it as you read. Morris has a rare, natural talent with words. I would give him 5 stars based on that alone.

The Canal is not a long book more like a novella. It's fast-paced, with a...more
Harold Honey
It seems to be ultimately a tale of survival. It is a well paced novel but tends to get muddled at parts. I felt that it could have been a cleaner tale-see dara marks book inside story. In effect, the canal serves to be almost another monster in and of itself. I wanted a clearer distinction between the monster and the canal but perhaps there was something poetic darwinian message that the author was striving for but did not quite grasp. Good effort. Fun to read.
Carol Brannigan
Great story and even though I did figure out the "twist" it wasn't until the last quarter of it. A good read. It was at times a bit overwhelming with the descriptiveness of Alan's neurosis. However, the story and delivery made up for that. Nice read for fans of horror, thriller or science fiction. My one disappointment was that it wasn't longer. I think it could have been expanded on. I will be looking for the author for future reads.
Anne Miller
A frightening and disturbing story. The characters are well developed and have psychological depth. I especially like how the the orderly and compulsive detective becomes more like the disorderly and unkempt partner he hates as the story unfolds. The author skillfully describes the polluted and toxic canal and its impact on others. The identity of the monster is especially disturbing.
Barb
I really enjoyed this one. I thought it was a basic detective story when I started reading with a very odd detective as the main character, but it soon turned into a creepy horror book. The characters were all a bit odd and the story was as well, but it is a fast engrossing read.
Russell
I love the descriptive text in this book. It builds the characters in ways you wouldn't expect and makes it fun to read. It also makes the disgusting parts exceptionally more disgusting.
Marty
This is a very quick clean read, but very dark. It was well written, tight story but do not read while eating. I found parts disturbing, but I still liked the story.
Roberto Salazar
Roberto Salazar marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Murry
Murry marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Dianne
Dianne marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2011
Almeta
Almeta marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2011
Todd
Todd marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2011
Barb
Barb added it
May 10, 2011
Ron
Ron added it
Mar 11, 2011
Daniel is a writer living in Los Angeles.
He has written a horror/crime novel called THE CANAL, a sci-fi oddity called ROCKET, and last but not least, a sci-fi novel based on a short-lived TV show that very few people remember (called ANDROMEDA: THE BROKEN PLACES).
More about Daniel Morris...
Rocket The Broken Places (Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda)