Start by marking “Free Stallion: Poems” as Want to Read:
Free Stallion: Poems

Free Stallion: Poems

My words ripple:Stand there,

wait for the train.

Amber Tamblyn, best known as an actress, is also an accomplished poet who was mentored by Beat poets such as Jack Hirschman and Michael McClure. Incisive and passionate, her poems represent Amber's unique perspective on universal issues of relationships, loss, and self-discovery. This collection provides a glimpse into the min
Published August 23rd 2005 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Free Stallion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Free Stallion

Karol
May 03, 2013 Karol rated it really liked it
I bought Free Stallion because I am a fan of Amber’s acting abilities. Writing is so personal. I was interested in hearing her voice. I expected to be impressed and was by her strong vision and intellect.
R.

the definition of
a father!

I want to scream this
into Mr.Lynch's face.

Scream, scream and scream.
Like a child wild
and blind with its first pain.
Of birth, or of falling from
a bicycle to the earth.

The span of a bandage
across a scratched knee
must reach over the
bruise and the blood.
Or else it's not a bandage
but a strip of tape,
loose with a hundred Donald Ducks,
Plutos smiling
Robert
Nov 24, 2012 Robert rated it it was amazing
GIRL STANDING CENTER STAGE
(Reflections on Free Stallion)

I don't know

sees the light
here's the last beat of
the dying heart

Not for me to know
but for you to find out.
Why is she laughing
like an old grey mare?
She ain't what she used to pretend to be

She knows why
god (small g) rest her soul
Rest in the center of
the square and co
Richard Gartee
Jul 13, 2013 Richard Gartee rated it really liked it
It is good to know that the future of poetry is in Amber Tamlyn’s hands. Free Stallion, was her first published collection of poems (or the first that I knew of). As soon as I read a few poems it became apparent that she is a poet not a pretender. She opens herself in her verse and lets her vulnerability show through, then turns political in the next poem and lets us know where she sees injustice or inequality.
And equally, she champions the cause of poetry as founder and supporter of the Write
Brendan
Oct 12, 2016 Brendan added it
Shelves: lady-poets
Rating: 3 1/2

Back cover blurbs from Lawrence Ferlinghetti and Michael McClure. Foreword by Jack Hirschman. Introduction by Tamblyn. Topics include lovers, her mother, and sociopolitical issues. A poem each on Woody Guthrie and Thelonious Monk.

My favorite is "Sneaker".

Having just recently taken a woman's form,
damn proud,
yes, this ass is mine.

- "Pipe Dreams"

I consider myself flexible in awkward positions.
Not a home wrecker,
but I do knock.

- "Moths"

a bottle of jack and the night is a coward
coming
go
Doofenshmirtz
Oct 01, 2009 Doofenshmirtz rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction, juvenile
I don't know anything about poetry, but the two things I like about poetry are the imagery and the precise word choice. In this book, Amber tends to tell rather than to show (resulting in no imagery), and she often relies on funky structure and word play (rather than precise word choice) to drive home her point. I also find many of the subjects she's written about cliche, and to be honest she comes across as pretentious rather than genuinely concerned about world problems.
Rainey
Jun 06, 2008 Rainey rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
it's fun to read this kind of free-wheeling poetry of youth--it reminds me of an experimental phase i went through. but it isn't my favourite. i think a second book by tamblyn would be more revealing.
Anna
Mar 30, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it
I have a hard time really getting into poetry, but I knew of Amber Tamblyn from Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. So I thought it would be worth my time.

Some poems I didn't get, but I have a few favorites:
-Pipe Dreams
-A Valid Question Ensues Unstitched
-Paper Tiger

Matt Randall
May 09, 2012 Matt Randall rated it it was ok
Tamblyn's poetry is so-so. A lot of it seems more suited to being performed than being read. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't what I got. Still, her poetry does have some interesting insights into her life.
Huma Rashid
May 15, 2011 Huma Rashid rated it really liked it
God, I love Amber Tamblyn. Powerful imagery, passionate words. Highly recommend.

More thoughts can be found here .
Ashley Lin
May 21, 2008 Ashley Lin rated it really liked it
There were many poems that I really liked including Train, Free Stallion, and Pipe Dreams to name a few.
Sydney Smith
Jan 26, 2010 Sydney Smith rated it really liked it
My mother bought this for me while I was in middle school, and it was so great to have then. Wonderful stuff.
Deanna
Jun 25, 2010 Deanna rated it really liked it
Her poetry inspires me to keep writing. She has such a raw and unapologizing way of expressing her deepest emotions. I look up to her and her writing.
Aimee
Jul 18, 2011 Aimee added it
Potent poetry.

I will always keep this book to read, as it is rich with feeling and thought.
Jessica
Jun 19, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who has an interest in poetry
I've been a fan of amber's for a very long time. And her poetry is just as a mazing as her acting. Her writing also influences some of my writing as well.
Brianna | RainyDaysAndStormyNights
3.5/5 stars.
Kristine Hansen
Nov 17, 2012 Kristine Hansen rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Sometimes I'm just not sure how to rate things or even what to say here in this space. I feel like singing and dancing poetry but I don't have the skill with words and imagery that is required when talking about a true poet.

Is this the best I've read? No. But not the worst. Middling poetry, at times pretentious, at times heart stopping. So I fall in between and call it good enough, though I doubt I've really defined this at all.
Amy
Sep 18, 2009 Amy rated it liked it
This was pretty good. Some of the poems were out there, but I was impressed with the majority. Amber Tamblyn rocks.
Casey
Jul 17, 2011 Casey rated it it was ok
Shelves: teenage
this was kind of a boring book, i'll admit, not what i expected from Amber Tamblyn, though the poetry was good
Emmie
Emmie rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2017
Chelsey
Chelsey rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2011
Sergio Frosini
Sergio Frosini rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2012
Chrissy
Chrissy rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2012
Lena
Lena rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2009
Shawnee
Shawnee rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2011
Madeline Anderson
Madeline Anderson rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2017
Louie
Louie rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2014
Andrew
Andrew rated it did not like it
Mar 18, 2012
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants: The Official Scrapbook
  • Tales from the Time Loop
  • Adrian Mole: From Minor to Major (Adrian Mole #1-3)
  • Commando: The Autobiography of Johnny Ramone
  • How to (Un)cage a Girl
  • Der unsichtbare Freund (Der Kreis der Dämmerung, #4)
  • Severance (Volition, #2)
  • For You, for You I am Trilling These Songs
  • Endgame
  • More Matter: Essays and Criticism
  • After Hours (The Party Room, #3)
  • The Long Wait for Tomorrow
  • She Was Different
  • Antibodies
  • All Work, No Pay: Finding an Internship, Building Your Resume, Making Connections, and Gaining Job Experience
  • Flutter and Hum / Aleteo y Zumbido: Animal Poems / Poemas de Animales
  • Why I Came West: A Memoir
  • How College Affects Students: Volume 2 - A Third Decade of Research
Amber Rose Tamblyn is an American actress. She appeared on the soap opera General Hospital followed by a starring role on the television series Joan of Arcadia. She has branched out into film roles, appearing in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and The Grudge 2. Her most recent work includes a co-starring role in the film Beyond a Reasonable Doubt with Michael Douglas and in the cancelled tel ...more
More about Amber Tamblyn...