Start by marking “Free Stallion: Poems” as Want to Read:

Free Stallion: Poems

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  20 reviews
My words ripple:Stand there,

wait for the train.

Amber Tamblyn, best known as an actress, is also an accomplished poet who was mentored by Beat poets such as Jack Hirschman and Michael McClure. Incisive and passionate, her poems represent Amber's unique perspective on universal issues of relationships, loss, and self-discovery. This collection provides a glimpse into the min
Published August 23rd 2005 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Free Stallion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Free Stallion

Robert
GIRL STANDING CENTER STAGE
(Reflections on Free Stallion)

I don't know

sees the light
here's the last beat of
the dying heart

Not for me to know
but for you to find out.
Why is she laughing
like an old grey mare?
She ain't what she used to pretend to be

She knows why
god (small g) rest her soul
Rest in the center of
the square and co
Karol
I bought Free Stallion because I am a fan of Amber’s acting abilities. Writing is so personal. I was interested in hearing her voice. I expected to be impressed and was by her strong vision and intellect.
R.

the definition of
a father!

I want to scream this
into Mr.Lynch's face.

Scream, scream and scream.
Like a child wild
and blind with its first pain.
Of birth, or of falling from
a bicycle to the earth.

The span of a bandage
across a scratched knee
must reach over the
bruise and the blood.
Or else it's not a bandage
but a strip of tape,
loose with a hundred Donald Ducks,
Plutos smiling
Richard Gartee
It is good to know that the future of poetry is in Amber Tamlyn’s hands. Free Stallion, was her first published collection of poems (or the first that I knew of). As soon as I read a few poems it became apparent that she is a poet not a pretender. She opens herself in her verse and lets her vulnerability show through, then turns political in the next poem and lets us know where she sees injustice or inequality.
And equally, she champions the cause of poetry as founder and supporter of the Write
Angela Aubergine
this needs to be in my collection
Doofenshmirtz
I don't know anything about poetry, but the two things I like about poetry are the imagery and the precise word choice. In this book, Amber tends to tell rather than to show (resulting in no imagery), and she often relies on funky structure and word play (rather than precise word choice) to drive home her point. I also find many of the subjects she's written about cliche, and to be honest she comes across as pretentious rather than genuinely concerned about world problems.
Kristine Pratt
Sometimes I'm just not sure how to rate things or even what to say here in this space. I feel like singing and dancing poetry but I don't have the skill with words and imagery that is required when talking about a true poet.

Is this the best I've read? No. But not the worst. Middling poetry, at times pretentious, at times heart stopping. So I fall in between and call it good enough, though I doubt I've really defined this at all.
Anna
I have a hard time really getting into poetry, but I knew of Amber Tamblyn from Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. So I thought it would be worth my time.

Some poems I didn't get, but I have a few favorites:
-Pipe Dreams
-A Valid Question Ensues Unstitched
-Paper Tiger

Matt Randall
Tamblyn's poetry is so-so. A lot of it seems more suited to being performed than being read. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't what I got. Still, her poetry does have some interesting insights into her life.
Huma Rashid
God, I love Amber Tamblyn. Powerful imagery, passionate words. Highly recommend.

More thoughts can be found here .
Rainey
it's fun to read this kind of free-wheeling poetry of youth--it reminds me of an experimental phase i went through. but it isn't my favourite. i think a second book by tamblyn would be more revealing.
Deanna
Her poetry inspires me to keep writing. She has such a raw and unapologizing way of expressing her deepest emotions. I look up to her and her writing.
Jessica
Jun 19, 2008 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who has an interest in poetry
I've been a fan of amber's for a very long time. And her poetry is just as a mazing as her acting. Her writing also influences some of my writing as well.
Casey
this was kind of a boring book, i'll admit, not what i expected from Amber Tamblyn, though the poetry was good
Amy
This was pretty good. Some of the poems were out there, but I was impressed with the majority. Amber Tamblyn rocks.
Aimee
Jul 18, 2011 Aimee added it
Potent poetry.

I will always keep this book to read, as it is rich with feeling and thought.
Ashley Lin
There were many poems that I really liked including Train, Free Stallion, and Pipe Dreams to name a few.
Sydney Smith
My mother bought this for me while I was in middle school, and it was so great to have then. Wonderful stuff.
Dear S. was my favorite poem and Pipe Dream was also good.
Brianna Rose
3.5/5 stars.
Savannah
Savannah marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Melody
Melody added it
Jun 24, 2015
Jennifer is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2015
Ivy Sarah Moe
Ivy Sarah Moe marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Jennifer Stansbury
Jennifer Stansbury marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Diego
Diego marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants: The Official Scrapbook
  • Tales from the Time Loop
  • Adrian Mole: From Minor to Major (Adrian Mole #1-3)
  • Commando: The Autobiography of Johnny Ramone
  • How to (Un)cage a Girl
  • History in the Making: An Absorbing Look at How American History Has Changed in the Telling over the Last 200 Years
  • For You, for You I am Trilling These Songs
  • Endgame
  • Das Lied der Befreiung Neschans (Neschan-Trilogie, #3)
  • Voices of the Winds: Native American Legends
  • Werewolf Haiku
  • Foolsgold: Making Something from Nothing and Freeing Your Creative Process
  • The Endarkenment
  • The Long Wait for Tomorrow
  • Perception: An Experiment in Terror Novella Collection (Experiment in Terror, #2.5, 5.5, 5.7)
  • Why I Came West: A Memoir
  • Wishbone
  • Last Call
Amber Rose Tamblyn is an American actress. She appeared on the soap opera General Hospital followed by a starring role on the television series Joan of Arcadia. She has branched out into film roles, appearing in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and The Grudge 2. Her most recent work includes a co-starring role in the film Beyond a Reasonable Doubt with Michael Douglas and in the cancelled tel ...more
More about Amber Tamblyn...
Bang Ditto Dark Sparkler The Rattling Wall, Issue 4 The Iowa Review (Spring 2014)