Start by marking “Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys, Volume 3: Hero with a Guitar (20th Century Boys, #3)” as Want to Read:

Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys, Volume 3: Hero with a Guitar (20th Century Boys #3)

4.42  ·  Rating Details ·  1,488 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
It turns out that the Friend's plan to destroy the world was dreamed up long ago by a gang of boys playing "good guys against bad guys"...And now, the only one who can stop this diabolical plot from succeeding is the one who came up with it--Kenji!Kenji races home and picks up the newspaper: sure enough, the mystery microbe has hit London. He thinks back over everything th ...more
Published June 16th 2009 by VIZ Media (first published August 30th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys, Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys, Volume 3

Anthony Chavez
May 31, 2012 Anthony Chavez rated it really liked it
Can Urasawa keep one-upping himself? I think he can, and he continues to do so by grabbing my attention volume to volume of this amazing series.

This volume focused heavily on Kenji's present and his difficulties in understanding what is happening, after the revelation in the last chapter of Volume 2, Kenji mind starts spinning. Why is this happening? What did that guy mean 'This was all your plan'? Why did Donkey want to talk to him? Why was Donkey killed? Who is 'Friend' really? As Kenji rushe
James DeSantis
I still really like this series, and this volume has some of the best moments in the series (and some of the worst).

The confrontation with the killer was great, but then it turned out silly with the twist of the gun. Same thing with the reveal of who it is, but then let's play a guitar all night for the power of rock is strong! We did get a great burning down a store scene with zombie like people's, that was intense and scary. But we got a silly dog sniffing scene that made no sense.

Overall it
Aaron Maurer
Oct 31, 2011 Aaron Maurer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Out of the three volumes I have read in this series, this one is my favorite. I read this in one sitting. I was not able to put it down. There were a couple little surprise factors that really drew me further into the story.

Not being a huge manga fan or I should say not having read many, this series is really taking a hold of me. I was hooked with Volume 1 and really enjoyed the storyline line development in Volume 2. I have more volumes awaiting me to be read. I only hope the series continues
Anna Kļaviņa
Mar 10, 2013 Anna Kļaviņa rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, read-in-2013
After cult's followers tried to kidnap Kanna and burned Kenji's shop and house he is on the run with his sister's baby and his grumpy mother.
Kristin Fletcher-spear
Feather Mista
Nov 04, 2013 Feather Mista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Muchos
Recommended to Feather by: Lo mismo
Y se sigue poniendo mejor la cosa. Pensar que todavía me quedan como 20 tomos por delante y sólo tengo a mano uno más :(
Francisco Silva
Dec 13, 2016 Francisco Silva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Si pudiese le pondría un 3.5

Se desencadenan los acontecimientos que se intuían en 20th Century Boys, Libro 2: ¡Abrid los ojos! y finalmente Kenji decide hacerle frente a lo que sea que está planeando "Amigo" con sus fantasías de niñez. Y de paso hay bastantes escenas de tensión que involucran tanto a su sobrina como a un misterioso personaje que aparece al final del tomo en Tailandia.
John Wiswell
Aug 20, 2014 John Wiswell rated it did not like it
The first Naoki Urasawa book I’ve ever read that fell flat. It shouldn’t have, with Kenji finally realizing Friend is behind the killings in the city, and featuring their first face-to-face confrontation. They even square off in front of a stadium full of cultists. It should have off-the-charts tension.

But Kenji’s certainty that Friend is a terrorist still reads half-baked, and he has nothing to really say or do to the man. Shoot the villain this early? I don’t think so, and neither does Kenji.
Krystle
Apr 19, 2016 Krystle rated it it was ok
Some bizarre moments in this volume that made it hard for me to take things seriously. Which is a shame, because the (view spoiler) had to be surrounded by such dreck.

[x] Kenji gets emotional and busts out his guitar. Plays loud all night long, because he's got feelings, man. You can't stop the rock.

[x] Kenji attends the Friends Concert. Things seem off, but sh** gets real when the rock band starts playing. Because, and I quote: "This is not what I call rock 'n
Eric
3 3/4 stars
Mikael Kuoppala
May 08, 2013 Mikael Kuoppala rated it really liked it
After getting a healthy probe into the depths of our main protagonist Kenji in "The Prophet" the "20th Century Boys"-saga takes the character and puts him through a "a reluctant hero emerges"-storyline. Necessary as this development is for the main plot, it also comes across as rather formulated, by-the-book and excecuted with a bit too much contrivance. Especially the first fwew chapters of this volume work clearly less smoothly than the amazing material that came before them. Well, such phenom ...more
Jesus Flores
Aug 04, 2015 Jesus Flores rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
20 century boy 3

Things get serious as Kenji realizes his kid stories are the plot for “amigo”, a very interesting volume.
So Kenji realizes his stories from childhood are the plot for “amigo” and it is confirmed when the next city with the virus is London, he goes to a “amigo” concert where he sees him, but is wearing a mask, then goes to the school reunion, where a friend tells him the nickname of a id in school who used masks and also knew about Kenji ideas. He then realizes about the next plot
Brad
Apr 12, 2015 Brad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, sci-fi, mystery, fantasy
Memory is a pernicious thing. I'd like to think I have a better memory than Kenji, but that's why he's the hero with the great flaw and I'm just some lousy reader. I love "god" in this manga. Nothing beats a homeless man's obsession with bowling who also sees the future and hates being called by his nickname by all the other homeless farts. I mean, seriously, this manga is full of interesting characters and the plot just gets better and better. As a mystery, I'm just rolling in desire to know wh ...more
Scott Lee
Apr 05, 2016 Scott Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story gets weirder and weirder, but it's still plausible to this point, or at least the world seems to imply that the few inexplicable events so far will eventually turn out to be explainable. The plot deepens (and gets scarier), the truth about what's happening gets shared a bit further, and Kenji has his first face-to-face run-in with "Our Friend." Urasawa does a fantastic job continuing to build a solid story as his primary focus, much preferable--in my opinion--to the endlessly delayed ...more
Fredrik Strömberg
Feb 09, 2014 Fredrik Strömberg rated it really liked it
In this volume, the pace increased perceptively. The hero lost his home in a big fire and is now a fugitive, his niece almost got kidnapped by the mad sect followers, a Japanese airport got blown to pieces, one of the main protagonists revealed more of what is actually happening and his friends are now slowly starting to understand what's going on. Not bad. My favorite volume so far.
Nia
Jan 28, 2009 Nia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sold, komik, urasawa-naoki
Kenji semakin menemukan titik terang tentang simbol 'Sahabat'. Dan dia berani datang ke konser yang diadakan 'Sahabat'. Disanalah dia bertemu dengan 'Sahabat', yang memakai topeng...

Kenji mulai mengingat satu persatu teman saat sekolah dulu, namun ada yang telupakan. Melalui reuni, akhirnya Kenji bertemu dengan Fukube yang memberitahu bahwa Sadakiyo selalu memakai topeng....

নাজমুল হাসান
The story enters the fast track all of a sudden. Shit hits the ceiling fan and its a massacre. We get a hint at who the "Friend" might be. What is his real identity. But I doubt the real identity of the mysterious figure would be unraveled so fast. The revelation about Kanna was kind of shocking. Wonder if she really is the fated child.
Alexander Case
Sep 10, 2012 Alexander Case rated it really liked it
Shelves: anime-manga
Holy crap this thing is escalating fast. I think there are 10 more volumes left in this puppy, and we've already hit the "This thing just got real" point - unless we're going to get more "This thing just got real" points, in which case this is gonna be nuts.
Jacobi
Jan 31, 2015 Jacobi rated it it was ok
Shelves: trades-read
I was all about this series in the first two volumes, but like a lot of manga, as things went on I've started to lose interest. The fact that this series goes on for 20 some-odd volumes makes me think this will be it for me. There are other things I would rather spend my time reading.
Rachie
Mar 06, 2016 Rachie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More and more is being revealed. I'm loving this reread and yet I almost find I like the scanalation I read online's translation more. Occasionally the choice in diction sounds wrong for the characters, the story is so good though that I'm willing to let these go.
J.
Jun 24, 2009 J. rated it it was amazing
I didn't think the storytelling could get better than the 2nd volume, but it kicks into high gear in this ish. Kick yourself for not reading this series if you haven't already started it, go out and get these issues immediately.
Joy
Aug 28, 2009 Joy rated it it was amazing
Danielle
Jan 16, 2015 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Reread in Jan 2015: so Scarlettraces bought me 1 & 2 for Christmas and because the plot is so twisty-turny, and it is so so good, I am now devouring the rest of the series from the library, which is not to say that future ownership will not be a sweet, sweet thing. One of my favourite series.
Norman Cook
Jan 22, 2015 Norman Cook rated it it was amazing
The trail of death and destruction increases, and Kenji finally steps into action when his friends and family are directly threatened. Who is the mysterious cult leader? Probably not either of the so-far prime suspects, but we'll see...
Laurelyn Anne
Apr 11, 2016 Laurelyn Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-comics-etc
Urasawa does a masterful job of building suspense, although this volume is mostly backstory, I can't complain. I'm rereading the series and I forgot so much!
andrew
Jun 20, 2016 andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i like how it set up future books and is also a pretty good book by itself
predicting my sudden souring on the series is coming in ~4 volumes
Amanda
Mar 16, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Que decir de este manga, me tiene enganchada desde el principio.
Le pongo cuatro estrellas porque todavia no lo he terminado pero me encanta. Tambien he visto las peliculas y no estan mal la verdad.
Dave
Jul 18, 2012 Dave rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-manga
The plot thickens, though it is frustrating how Urasawa is dragging things out with the characters remembering their childhood, which is obviously tied to the doomsday cult, bit by bit.
Caroline
Mar 03, 2011 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, manga
And this is the point where I stop analyzing and just start turning pages frantically, because Naoki Urasawa is really good at what he does.
Raymond Hall
Jun 14, 2015 Raymond Hall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm enjoying this series,this is where Kenji and his friends are trying to remember what was said years ago when they were children.I think it will all come to light in book four.
  • Mushishi, Vol. 2
  • Planetes, Volume 2 (Planetes, #2)
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 2 (Children of the Sea, #2)
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 02
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 5 (Eden: It's an Endless World!, #5)
  • Adolf : A Tale of the Twentieth Century
  • The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Volume 3
  • Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture, Vol. 8
  • A Distant Neighborhood, Vol. 2
Urasawa Naoki ( 浦沢 直樹) is a Japanese mangaka. He is perhaps best known for Monster (which drew praise from Junot Díaz, the 2008 Pulitzer Prize winner) and 20th Century Boys.

Urasawa's work often concentrates on intricate plotting, interweaving narratives, a deep focus on character development and psychological complexity. Urasawa has won the Shogakukan Manga Award, the Japan Media Arts Festival ex
More about Naoki Urasawa...

20th Century Boys (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 1 (20th Century Boys, #1)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 2 (20th Century Boys, #2)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 4 (20th Century Boys, #4)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 5 (20th Century Boys, #5)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 6 (20th Century Boys, #6)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 7 (20th Century Boys, #7)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 8 (20th Century Boys, #8)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 9 (20th Century Boys, #9)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 10 (20th Century Boys, #10)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 11 (20th Century Boys, #11)