The Sacred Well

The Sacred Well

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A young reporter in 1923, Alma Reed accompanies archaeologists to the ruins of Chichen Itza, where a fortune in Mayan artifacts has been stolen from a sacrificial well. It's believed a curse was unleashed by the theft—yet the career-making story it offers the ambitious journalist seems a godsend. It also leads her to a passionate love affair with revolutionary governor Fel...more
Published March 24th 2009 by Harper Paperbacks (first published March 11th 2009)

Tara Chevrestt
I have been to Mexico on two separate occasions and not once have I been to visit the Chichen Itza ruins. Now I am seriously regretting that decision and the destination is going on my PLACES TO VISIT BEFORE I DIE list. This historical novel tells the true story of Alma Reed, a reporter in 1920s San Francisco that after saving the life of young Mexican boy on death row, makes an archealogy expedition to the ruins. She uncovers shocking information and hears incredible Mayan legends as well as be...more
Olivia Quijano
I find the Maya fascinating, I am hooked on Mexico and its history, and I have long meant to research more about Alma Reed, the San Francisco journalist who met and fell in love with Felipe Carillo, governor of Yucatan 1921-1923. This is based on their love story. I think it is good - although it ends too sadly to be (by definition) a romance.

It has one of those double stories - a San Francisco journalist finds out about Alma and Felipe and does some research and writes about them (which product...more
Katherine Marple
Antoinette May's "The Sacred Well" is about two women. One is Alma Reed, an aged 27 girl from early 20th century. She is one of the first female writers who is sent on an archeological expedition to find the true meaning behind the ruins of Yucatan. She is bright, determined, polished and intriguing. The second woman is Sage Sanborn, an aged 40s woman and present day novelist who finds herself researching Alma's previous life because it so resembles her own. She discovers ties to Alma's life whi...more
Jenny GB
A very sad but relatively well written and engaging novel. The novel tells two love stories. Alma and Felipe are the couple from the past. She was a reporter following an archaeological crew and he was a governor in Mexico who advocated progressive reforms. They fall passionately in love and have a tragic love story. Then there is Sage the modern writter/report that does travel pieces about Mexico and has a long-term boyfriend who is terminally ill. She is torn between staying with him for the r...more
Jen Adams
I wanted to like this book more than I did, but May didn't really make the love between Alma and Felipe resonate with me. Also, Sage's side story seemed superfluous. Not only did I find her a bit irritating, but I felt a sense of non-closure regarding her part of the story.

I did, however, gain the desire to learn more about Alma and Felipe's stories, and found myself doing some basic research on them. What a fascinating couple, both advocates for the underprivileged and underrepresented. Theirs...more
Lisa
A poignant book that evoked feelings of longing and hopes for second chances at love and life living. There are two journeys, both really beautifully written. They are probably better appreciated by a more mature woman. The main setting is heady and the stories are steeped in exotic culture, ancient myths, love and loss.

I came away with a strange, yet peaceful feeling. it gives me my own desire for my own second chance.The Sacred Well
Dana
I really liked this book, mostly because I have always been fascinated with pre-Columbian art. The older story is the most intriguing of the two story lines, especially as the novel nears the end and the more modern of the characters' plots become a little contrived. I am really glad to have learned about Alma Reed and Felipe Carrillo Puerto--their real-life adventures are probably better than anything an author could have invented. Visiting Chichen Itza is for sure on my bucket list.
Joyce
Initially, the book did not resonate with me, but slowly it drew me in, till finally it had me hooked. It was not only an enjoyable read, but also quite the story. Most of the book took place in the Yucatan, before tourists. Nevertheless, it would me amazing to see the Mayan sights and now to know a little something about the real peole who brought the Yucatan to the world is pretty cool.
Jen Reardon
This story was intriguing. It's a fictional account of two real people who lived in the 1920s and shared an incredible love. The story is told by a modern day journalist who is researching the live of Alma who was a journalist and adventurer in the 1920s and falls in love with Fellipe who is the governor of Yucatan in Mexico. It's such an interesting read and I highly recommend it.
April Hochstrasser
It was a cool story to read since much was set in Chichen Itza, a fascinating place. What made the people here abandon their whole civililzation? The story is based on real people that lived and is very fascinating.

The author alternated between two women connected with the Yucatan in different time periods, but it was never confusing, the way some similarly written books can be.
Jane Gruber
I really loved this storyline. I found the Yucatan history intriguing and this real life story made into fiction.
Sara S
This was an interesting parallel between a modern author and a journalist from the 1920s who are both drawn to the Yucatan and the Mayan ruins there. It touches on history and relationships. It's an easy read that kept me engaged the whole time. I would definitely recommend it!
Jeana
I read this book while vacationing in the Yucatan. It was such a cool story to read since much was set in Chichen Itza, a fantastic place I got to visit on my trip. The story is based on real people that lived and is very fascinating.
Katie Davis
I just finished this historical fiction novel about the Yucatan Peninsula through the eyes of two different ladies in two time periods. It was a great read!
Crystal
I really enjoyed this. It was based on historical fact.
Ashley
Way better than it sounds! And based on a true story...
Btr
Too much description; not enough action.
Dawn
Dawn is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Rusty Schaeffer
Rusty Schaeffer marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Damir
Damir marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Rose
Rose added it
Apr 12, 2014
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
ZiggyF
ZiggyF marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Jane Gardner
Jane Gardner marked it as to-read
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Anya
Anya marked it as to-read
Paige"
Paige" marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Pilate's Wife Haunted Houses of California: A Ghostly Guide Witness to War: A Biography of Marguerite Higgins Passionate Pilgrim: The Extraordinary Life of Alma Reed A mulher de Pilatos