Start by marking “Urchin and the Rage Tide (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #5)” as Want to Read:
Urchin and the Rage Tide (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #5)

Urchin and the Rage Tide (The Mistmantle Chronicles #5)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  357 ratings  ·  33 reviews

The animals of Mistmantle have enjoyed a long period of peace and prosperity since the violent Raven War. Their tranquility is disrupted when tidal waves threaten to destroy the island. Mossberry, a squirrel with delusions of grandeur, sees the impending disaster as an opportunity to rise to power...and his reckless decisions will put many citizens in harm's way. Urchin of
Published July 20th 2010 by Hyperion Book CH (first published September 22nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Urchin and the Rage Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Urchin and the Rage Tide

Okay, let me just say this about this entire book series. It was absolutely a wonderful series. I loved each book. I wanted to read the entire series over again to get another feel for the characters. I will say that the 1st Book: Urchin of the Riding Stars is still my favorite. This book started off a little slow and I was a little disappointed. Within the 3rd chapter things really started to pick up. I was completely captivated by the book from beginning to end. Sadly, I have been told that th ...more
I'm so sad this is the last book of the series. I have grown attached to this mystical island full of noble squirrels, hedgehogs, otters and moles. I envy any 9 year old child begining the series for the first time. It's lovely stuff.
Dec 06, 2009 Emm marked it as to-read
WHY MUST IT END!!!!!!????
May 04, 2009 Nina marked it as to-read
Waiting for it to come out. Waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and wait ...more
So many books lack a sufficient denouement. This entire book is dedicated to wrapping up the Mistmantle Series, and it is a marvelous idea and a marvelous book. The climax of the series was the Raven War of the 4th book, and this book follows with flooding and the rise of a 'cult leader' sort of figure. These kind of challenges are not the typical conclusions to a series, as usually a series ends in war. But McAllister is smart enough to dedicate her final book in her series to testing the will, ...more
M.I. McAllister wrote wonderfully to the end. Urchin and the Rage Tide was an excellent ending to an imaginative and wonderful series. Some authors will lose their touch in the last book, creating a disappointing halt to a series that shouldn't have ended that way, however, this was not the case. The intriguing twists and turns, the heartbreaking losses, and the joyful reunions filled the book with a captivating plot to the end.
In this final book I am wanting a little more and so sad at the ending and feel that I am losing family members. Urchin, Crispin have grown in their positions so much and just fit in Mistmantle so well. I look forward to reading the series to my kids and having them read the series as they grow. Glad that good still surpasses evil :-)
Aug 31, 2010 Daria marked it as to-read
as a rule, i am not into reading series. i find that i don't like the feeling of incompletion nor do i like to feel like i have to do required reading.

this series has been an exception for me and i saw it through to book five. i discovered the first in the series at a book fair in my school. and once i met urchin and the other occupants of the isle of mismantle, i was hooked!

in the final book, the valiant animals are battling with mother nature: a rage tide. as the animals prepare to move to hig
Charlyn  Trussell
This series concludes with this book and I'm sad to see the end. Urchin has matured from his arrival on the island in book one, and in each book he has proven his leadership and his courage. In this book, once again the island is besieged, but this time it is nature that brings devastation. But there is also an enemy among the animals, one who believes himself the savior. Crispin is tested once again and the Circle must join ranks and fight the foe without and within while leading the animals to ...more
Another great book in the Mistmantle series, this one explores more great disaster. Again, there was an antagonist in animal form, but also there was the Rage Tide, which gave more of a inanimate obstacle this time around. Also, this book went more into the romance between Urchin and Sepia of the Songs, which I thought was slightly unexpected and should have been slightly more obvious and developed. Personally, I also would enjoy a love interest for Fingal, but that's just me. A good book, all-i ...more
Its been years since I first picked up the first of the Mistmantle chronicles. Finally, after years of waiting, I was able to get my hands on a copy. After a quick refresher on who's who and the relationship statuses and whatnot, I was drawn into this magical tale, which reminds me heavily of Redwall. Although this finale to the series did not carry the same special sparkle I first saw in the first four books(Perhaps the fact I am a better reader now than then) I still enjoyed this cute tale tha ...more
Heather Rauch
Nice conclusion to the series.
Redwallcrazy- My God is Healer, Awesome in Power!
This book was difinately worth waiting for. I read the entire thing the day I got it and couldn't put it down. I enjoy the relationship between Urchin and Sepia, though part of the book made me cry. I was thoroughly satisfied with this book and I find it very sad that it is the last in this awesome series.
Sandy  Kemp
Jan 29, 2012 Sandy Kemp rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: middle school and up
It reads like the end of the series, and that makes me a bit sad. Love this entire series. There is someone for everyone here, adventure, nature, drama, romance, religion (a nice one!), secret plots. Well worth reading the series. Start with Book 1 - Urchin of the Riding Stars.
Gretchen Jones
This is the first series in at least 20 years that I had to get the next book as soon as I had finished each one. McAllister's writing is engaging, compelling, touching. I can't remember the last time a fiction author could bring tears when I was reading his or her books.
The last in a wonderful series.
I cried and laughed, and clutched this book to my heart! Greeting each character like an old friend, I enjoyed this book immensely, as I have loved the entire series. The writing is superb, and the world of Mistmantle is enchanting!
Great book. Im so sad to see the stories of Mistmantle end finally! And how very sad that Crispin dies. I wish there was another book. Im excited to see if they ever help Mossberry and what about all the other animals?
It is very clear that this is one of the best of them. The plot seems to grow wider and wider and you worry and worry that all of Mistmantle will have a despairing donwfall, but at the last second, peace is restored.
Diane Bell
I really enjoyed all of the Mistmantle series. It's been a little while since I read them, so I won't add more details, but the fifth one was definitely my favorite. All engaging and fun to read though.
One of the best children series I have ever read!

Sorry to see it end (and I stretched the books out as far as I could to make the series last). I will probably read these series again:o)
I--I can't even speak about this right now. McAllister, I... that ending... was the most masterful... Arghh! I can't even describe it! Fantastic!
So with a series this good, you have to read the last book..The kids are wondering if and when the author is going to write any more of these books
This was AMAZING! I love it so much!!!!!!! I give it 5000000000000000000000000 stars! I didn't want it to end!! :(
Jan 02, 2011 Jessica marked it as to-read
Almost done with the series, I can't wait for M. I. Mcallister to make the movie!
Aug 28, 2010 Hannah rated it 5 of 5 stars
sad, a little mushy believe it or not, but right up there with the rest of the series!
Loved this latest book! I cried so hard at the end, it was beautiful.
Mary Ann
Great commentary on forgiveness and sacrifice.
Excellent series. I highly recommend it :).
  • Poppy and Ereth (Dimwood Forest, #5)
  • Tumtum & Nutmeg: The Rose Cottage Tales (Tumtum and Nutmeg, #4-6)
  • Candle Man: The Society of Dread (Candle Man, #2)
  • The Celestial Globe (The Kronos Chronicles, #2)
  • A Nest for Celeste: A Story About Art, Inspiration, and the Meaning of Home
  • Thomas and the Dragon Queen
  • Otto and the Flying Twins (The Karmidee, #1)
  • Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures, #1)
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • The Dragon of Trelian (Trelian, #1)
  • Puddlejumpers
  • Samuel Blink and the Forbidden Forest
  • The Two Collars (Bracken Trilogy, #3)
  • Waggit Forever
  • Jessaloup's Song
  • The Secret Zoo (The Secret Zoo, #1)
  • The Kingdom of Carbonel (Carbonel #2)
  • Armadilly Chili
Some books by this author are attributed to M.I. McAllister.

Also writes as Poppy Harris.
More about Margaret McAllister...

The Mistmantle Chronicles (5 books)
  • Urchin of the Riding Stars (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #1)
  • Urchin and the Heartstone (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #2)
  • The Heir of Mistmantle (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #3)
  • Urchin and the Raven War (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #4)

“Don’t grow up, Urchin, whatever you do. Definitely a bad idea.” 1 likes
“Urchin decided to put off his carefully prepared speech until they were on the shore. They sat on the rocks at low tide as they had so often before, watching anemones and sea urchins while Sepia dabbled her paws in the water. Finally he decided that his speech was ridiculous, and simply asked her to marry him.” 1 likes