Start by marking “A Madness of Angels (Matthew Swift, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Madness of Angels (Matthew Swift, #1)

A Madness of Angels (Matthew Swift #1)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,766 Ratings  ·  587 Reviews
Two years after his untimely death, Matthew Swift finds himself breathing once again, lying in bed in his London home.

Except that it's no longer his bed, or his home. And the last time this sorcerer was seen alive, an unknown assailant had gouged a hole so deep in his chest that his death was irrefutable...despite his body never being found.

He doesn't have long to mull ove
Published April 6th 2009 by Orbit (first published April 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Madness of Angels, please sign up.

Shannon I agree; Neverwhere, Mievelle, little long, slow at times, mildly hard to read, but ultimately one of the best books I have ever read. The style, and…moreI agree; Neverwhere, Mievelle, little long, slow at times, mildly hard to read, but ultimately one of the best books I have ever read. The style, and the feel are like nothing I have ever experienced in a book before. (less)

Carol.
Four and a half stars.

Sometimes an author captures my imagination, and as long as they fail to become blazingly incompetent, I’m along for the ride. So it was with A Madness of Angels.

Matthew Swift wakes up from death, lost, confused, unaware its been two years since he died, as for him it feels like moments ago. The terrible and fascinating hook to his story is that as a sorcerer, he was dialing the phone as he died–and the phone lines are the home of the electric blue angels, the bits and piec
Anne
Dec 16, 2014 Anne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hands down, one of the most God awful books I've ever read. Ever.
The edition I read had 458 pages. It could have easily been whittled down to 150. Really. The descriptions of mundane things went on and on and on forever! I feel like this book has sucked years off of my life. Ok, maybe a couple of weeks. Every night I kept trying to finish it, and every night I fell asleep after about 15 minutes. I honestly think I deserve some kind of a medal for reading all of it. To be perfectly honest, I had
MLE
Jul 13, 2015 MLE rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love this book. The premise is just so different. I love the way magic works, and what it is to be a Sorcerer. The Bikers were really interesting as well. I love the complicated mess that is Matthew Swift, and the Electric Blue Angels. I love how there is no real, clear lines between the two of them, and how often they merge and blend. The plot is well done, and tightly paced. The secondary characters are a varied bunch, and form an integral part of the story rather than just being an a ...more
Tim
Aug 09, 2014 Tim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes for this book, and it has some splendid ideas. Ultimately, however, two things about it annoyed me so much I can't give it an enthusiastic thumbs-up. I do see how this can be a matter of taste, and perfectly respectable readers could give this five stars. Bet here are my beefs:

Length and Plot. The overall structure of the book is that our protagonist, newly-resurrected urban sorcerer Matthew Swift has to destroy a chief bad guy (gamers will recognize him as a boss) who has rings
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my FINISHING THE SERIES! list.

I loves me a good series! But I'm terrible for starting a new series before finishing my last - so this reading list is all about trying to close out those series I've got on the go.

My wife and I found our way to A Madness of An
Carol.
Jan 29, 2015 Carol. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of urban fantasy
Recommended to Carol. by: Carly

Notes from a third read:

Matthew Swift is back, but no one is exactly sure that he is him. He visits the shop of a prophet who once foretold his death:

"'You want to tell me that you're Matthew Swift.'
'Is this a bad thing?'
'You are a dead man, Matthew Swift.'
'You must have customers flocking to hear your predictions.'
'It was a statement of fact, of history.'
'It pays for prophets to be cryptic, particularly in this litigious age,' I wheezed."

The sorcerer Matthew Swift was killed--or at least disapp
Wealhtheow
Mar 25, 2010 Wealhtheow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Cas from Supernatural, Hellblazer, NightWatch
Recommended to Wealhtheow by: N.K. Jemisin
Matthew Swift wakes up on the floor of his apartment--two years after he was brutally murdered. Now he has no money, no clothes, and an otherworldly presence in his head. Luckily, Matthew Swift is not your typical Londoner--he is an urban sorcerer, and he has a few tricks up his sleeves...
I loved loved LOVED the magic systems in this book. This book is one of the few with thoughtful, exciting, non-traditional magic--others that spring to mind are Hellblazer, Night Watch, Neverwhere, and the Book
Mike (the Paladin)
I really wanted to like this book more (especially since a friend here recommended it...sorry). It's not that it's a bad book. The idea is fairly original, based on the concept that "urban settings" cities etc. will or have developed their sort of "magic" (Charles de Lint for example has worked with similar ideas). The story is a pretty good one and the writing contains some very nice prose. Somehow the book just never appealed to me however. I couldn't get involved with him/them. I would recomm ...more
Jubilation Lee
Good lord but this was an enjoyable book.

I spent basically the entire time (and with 500 pages, it was a decent amount of time) breathlessly turning pages and singing.

“La la la laaaaaaaa, wish I could beeeeee, part of Matthew Swift’s woooooooooooorld!”

The plot was convoluted enough and I read it so breathlessly that I’m not… entirely… sure I followed the story line as fully as I might have. The ending sort of got away from me, for sure. And parts of the middle. And maybe also the beginning.

But
Nathaniel Gage
May 08, 2014 Nathaniel Gage rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know for sure that not everyone will share my high opinion of this book. A lot of people scorn it for the same reason I fell in love with it—experimental paragraph style and broken-up sentences, magic in the context of the city, a whole eclectic mish-mash of creatures and a good heaping helping of cursing. But I love it. I adore it. Kate Griffin—in reality, Catherine Webb—has created a world that is caked in grime and dirt and dust and is more alive for it, a world that sings with blue electri ...more
Mimi
Such a satisfying read. There isn't anything about this book I don't like. London, action, adventure, urban magic, turf wars, and revenge. A lot of fun.

Right alongside the London we know, there exists a dark side of the city that lives off magic and traditions that go back centuries to the time the city was first settled, and it's kept alive by the continuous use and evolution of that magic and those traditions. Although both have taken on different forms and shapes throughout the years, they're
Seanan
Jan 28, 2010 Seanan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the depth of this book, the intensity of the language, and the inside view of London. The love came through, the magic was logical, and the disconnected order of the revelations was just plain perfect. It was so much what I'd been looking for that I didn't know until I finished reading it, and I'm delighted.

If you love urban fantasy in the truest, "love of the city" sense, this is a wonderful book for you. I'd recommend it to any Tim Powers fans without reservation, and also to fans of G
Trin
This book contains one truly fantastic conceit: magician Matthew Swift is brought back from the dead, but he doesn't come back alone; he contains within him entities known as the Blue Electric Angels, and so parts of his story are narrated in the first person singular, I, and parts in the first person plural, we. I love the shifts between Matthew's perspective and that of the otherworldly Angels; I love how throughout the book they start to come together a bit, to merge. There is such a fascinat ...more
Miriam
Jun 25, 2010 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, memory
Two years ago, Matthew Swift died.

Our story begins when he comes back to life. A stranger has rented his apartment, he has no money or identification, and it turns out that all his friends have been horribly murdered in the interim.

A lot of this book is descriptive, and although this sometimes dragged from a readerly point of view it fit perfectly with the way magic is envisioned by Griffin. Also, her love of London was obvious, which gave appeal to what would otherwise have been tediously ext
Carly
Oct 29, 2014 Carly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves gloriously imaginative UF and won't mind the writing style.
Recommended to Carly by: A really gorgeous piece of fanart I ran across. (Link: http://fav.me/d4yzji4)
**edit 11/27/13
Two years after bleeding to death in an unfriendly alley, Matthew Swift wakes up in his old apartment, blinking open eyes that have transformed from muddy brown to electric blue. He-- and the entities who possess him--have only one thought in his/their mind: revenge against those who killed him and brought them back.

Madness of Angels captures the essence why I keep coming back to urban fantasy. When I read UF, I want to enter a world both alien and familiar, where the mundane tou
Emily
Jun 24, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing
"We be light, we be life, we be fire!
We sing electric flame, we rumble underground wind, we dance heaven!
Come be we and be free!"

This is quite a weird sort of book, probably a bit "marmite" in its style - you'll either love it or hate it. I loved it. I liked the fact that it was just so different to everything else I'd read. I also liked the fact that, having visited London a good many times, I was familiar with a lot of the areas that were being described in the story.

Lots of lovely twists on o
Jason
5 Stars

Holy crap am I wiped out after this amazing adventure. Let me catch my breath. A Madness of Angels sits now easily among my very favorite reads. This book, like the Angels portrayed within, was so many things to me. Sorcery and necromancy, love and death, mystery and revelation…Damn, I want more…

Books like this are so very rare..

I was entranced from the very first page all the way until the long coming end. It captivated my heart, my imagination and ensorcelled me through and through. I
Jamie Collins
May 15, 2011 Jamie Collins rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-urban
Putting this back on the shelf after about 100 pages. I feel like the writing is trying too hard to be literary, and is getting in the way of the story. I'm not opposed to the heavy use of similes - I like Michael Chabon and Neal Stephenson - but here they are distractingly bad.

"A noise like the slurping of thick cake mixture being slopped up from the bottom of the bowl."
"The one who spoke had a heavy, breathless voice like the deep snorts of a walrus."
"A quick slap like being hit with a thin sl
Stephanie Swint
Feb 16, 2016 Stephanie Swint rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is beautiful, complex, and mad...definitely mad. Matthew Swift, London sorcerer, is resurrected by the blue angels in the telephone lines. If you can commit to the madness this is worth the read. If you need something quick and linear in thought skip it. Full review to come...
Moira Russell
Ceci n'est pas une revue

This isn't going to be anything lengthy or profound; I just wanted to join my voice to the chorus saying how good this book is. Yes, it's probably about 100 pages too long, and the three drawn-out climactic confrontations with the Big Nasty could have been condensed into one, and the various betrayals and setups and alliances are explained very plainly (a number of times). The pacing is much slower than it could be, and I spent about the first twenty pages growling "If Ou
Xing
Aug 07, 2015 Xing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.5 stars

It’s difficult to rate A Madness of Angels, since there were 2 star moments and 5 star moments riddled throughout the book. I settled somewhere in between and rounded up for my overall enjoyment.

Without getting into the thickness of plot, I’ll just say that this urban fantasy world was definitely a refreshing remix of familiar concepts, but with a very creative result. Among a world of very magical beings, Matt Swift is a sorcerer – a person able to sense magic in the artificia
N.K. Jemisin
Jun 12, 2009 N.K. Jemisin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to N.K. by: Devi Pillai
Beautifully-written, snarkily fun, deliciously literary urban fantasy. Can't wait for the next book.
Christopher
Jul 26, 2015 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though I greatly enjoyed both books this author wrote under her other pseudonym of Claire North, the only two people whom I both follow and reviewed this had extremely opposite reactions to the book. An one star review of "Hands down, one of the most God awful books I've ever read. Ever," and a five star review (well, 4.5) from someone who has read it three times and "highly recommend(s)" it.

Needless to say, I was slightly nervous going in.

Plotwise, this is fairly simple. "You murdered me, so I
Kristin
Sep 28, 2014 Kristin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2014-reads
After two years of being dead from a gaping hole in the chest, sorcerer Matthew Swift is suddenly not quite so dead. Not only is he not dead, but he is being hunted down by some rather nasty creations of another sorcerer - a sorcerer who is bent on understanding (and stealing) that which made Swift come alive again - the Blue Electric Angels. Swift must not only fight for his life, but is also tasked with finding the other sorcerer and ending his life.

The characters in this book were so well-wri
Remote
May 22, 2009 Remote rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To a degree this was a book I had been looking for. Reading stuff like Hellblazer, Hellboy, Caballistics - works of modern fantasy, of contemporary occult/magic novels. Classically so many of these works go for the classics - latin, pentagram, nazis, like a tick box list of rules. With A Madness Of Angels Griffin consciously throws those rules out, she creates her own urban magic background with London as a background, which she brings to life with a dense, energetic prose.

At first I had my dou
Kay
I really wish I could write a 5 star review for this book. Honest to God, A Madness of Angels has one of the most creative, mind-blowing universes I've ever read - filled with monsters and magic that are unfamiliar yet instantly recognisable. Yet, its' length and dense writing made A Madness of Angels a difficult book to finish. Even though I loved it, I could only read 4-5 pages at a time - it took me 4 months to finish! There is just so much to absorb in every line, and there are many many man ...more
Ellyddan
Aug 31, 2010 Ellyddan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'll be honest: I couldn't finish this book. While the ideas behind how magic worked and the characters were interesting, I found this to be a plodding read. The descriptions while sometimes wonderful could also come precariously close to purple prose. I distinctly remember the author recycling the same detailed sensory descriptions and similes to describe two separate phone booths.
The details just never let up. It made the pacing of the book oftentimes awkward. The main character of Matthew Swi
Elspeth
Yup, still love this.
Though the lack of a g on buzzing was getting irritating by the end of the book.
Milda Page Runner
That's a tough one. Such a complicated book to rate. I seem to have loved it and hated it in an equal measure. I liked the story. It's not very original but it's good enough to keep you reading. I loved the main character and his switching personalities. It was a bit confusing at the start but once you've got the idea it was awesome. I thought the concept of urban sorcery was original and interesting.
Unfortunately the prose got in the way. It is no doubt inteligent, lyrical and lush but so over
Nicole
  • A Devil in the Details (Jesse James Dawson, #1)
  • Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4)
  • Death Most Definite (Death Works Trilogy #1)
  • Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1)
  • Sixty-One Nails (Courts of the Feyre, #1)
  • Unshapely Things (Connor Grey, #1)
  • Dog Days (Dog Days, #1)
  • London Falling (Shadow Police, #1)
  • Roadkill (Cal Leandros, #5)
  • Hard Spell (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation #1)
  • Master of None (Gavyn Donatti, #1)
  • WebMage (Webmage, #1)
  • Generation V (Generation V, #1)
  • Fated (Alex Verus, #1)
  • A Kiss Before the Apocalypse (Remy Chandler, #1)
  • Hot Lead, Cold Iron (Mick Oberon, #1)
  • Blood Blade (Skinners, #1)
  • Dead To Me (Simon Canderous, #1)
Kate Griffin is the pen name under which Catherine Webb writes fantasy novels for adults. She also uses the pen name Claire North.

More about Kate Griffin...

Matthew Swift (4 books)
  • The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift, #2)
  • The Neon Court (Matthew Swift, #3)
  • The Minority Council (Matthew Swift, #4)

“We be light, we be life, we be fire! We sing electric flame, we rumble underground wind, we dance heaven! Come be we and be free!” 95 likes
“Offer me?" A shrill note of indignation entered her voice. "Young man, there are three things that make Britain great. The first is our inability at playing sports."
How does that make Britain great?"
"Despite the certainty of loss, we try anyway with the absolute conviction that this year will be the one, regardless of all evidence to the contrary!"
I raised my eyebrows, but that simply meant I could see my blood more clearly, so looked away and said nothing.
"The second," she went on, "is the BBC. It may be erratic, tabloid, under-funded and unreliable, but without the World Service, obscure Dickens adaptions, the Today Program and Doctor Who, I honestly believe that the cultural and communal capacity of this country would have declined to the level of the apeman, largely owing to the advent of the mobile phone!"
"Oh," I said, feeling that something was expected. "Oh" was enough.
"And lastly, we have the NHS!"
"This is an NHS service?" I asked incredulously.
"I didn't say that, I merely pointed out that the NHS makes Britain great. Now lie still.”
20 likes