How to Score

How to Score

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  269 ratings  ·  32 reviews
HER LIFE COACH

Museum curator Sammi Matthews isn't just in a dating slump, she's putting men on the injured list. After giving one date a black eye and cracking another's rib, Sammi decides she needs professional help. Enter life coach Luke Jones, who advises Sammi on how to overcome her klutziness. And their phone sessions work! Sammi soon meets a sexy FBI agent who seems...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Forever (first published May 11th 2009)

Since You're Leaving Anyway, Take Out the Trash by Dixie CashSee Jane Score by Rachel GibsonBet Me by Jennifer CrusieCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaManhunting by Jennifer Crusie
Humorous Romance Titles
32nd out of 74 books — 123 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenKiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsAfter Forever Ends by Melodie RamoneIt Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsIrrepressible You by Georgina Penney
Favorite Romances
360th out of 577 books — 305 voters

More lists with this book...

Julianna
Sep 16, 2010 Julianna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Contemporary Romance or Romantic Comedy
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"3.5 stars" I received an ARC copy of How to Score from the book's author. I found it to be a rather eclectic book that is part romantic comedy, part romantic suspense, and part ordinary contemporary romance. The first ¼ of the story is laugh-out-loud funny as Sammi gets herself into one ridiculous predicament after another, but then it takes on a more dramatic tone as both Sammi and Chase's past hurts and Sammi's current troubles are explored. From this point on, there w...more
Julie (jjmachshev)
"How to Score" is a cute, romantic comedy by Robin Wells. This contemporary combines a museum curator and an FBI agent filling in for his brother the life coach. When a fairly new customer calls, he's entranced by her voice and then her dog engineers a meeting and the fun ensues. Now he's her life coach by evening and falling in love with her by day!

The dog was one of my favorite characters in this story...I just wish he'd had more ink! Wells pulls all the subplots together, adds a touch of hot...more
Kelly Moran
Author Robin Wells is an accomplished romance author, having written over a dozen titles for Harlequin and won the National Readers' Choice Award for her title, Baby, Oh Baby. She has also won the prestigious National Golden Heart Award from the Romance Writers of America, and her novels have been translated into more than a dozen languages. Before writing romance she was an advertising and public relations executive. Other titles include: Wild About You, Between the Sheets, Ooh La La, Babe Magn...more
ElaineY
I preferred this book to Ms Wells' earlier one, Between the Sheets, though that was an enjoyable read as well. HTS is light and fun and though I don't care for romances where one of the protags is pretending to be someone else, whether it's for an undercover job or, in this case, to help someone out, in Chase's case, it isn't quite a life-and-death issue even though he's doing it because his brother needs to vanish for awhile under the FBI witness protection program. So I was relieved when the d...more
Jude Bown
Quirky characters are a standard in Robin's work. Love that. Mistaken identities are a favorite theme of mine and she does this well. Robin's stories are so filled with fun, you won't be able to stop reading. The moment I finish one, I'm on the hunt for another.
Jody
How to Score is a contemporary romance featuring Sammi Matthews, a museum curator, whose life is a bit of mess. She contacts a life coach to help her "score at the game of life", but Luke has to get out of town in a hurry, so he enlists his brother Chase to take over his life coaching duties while he’s away. While trying to help Sammi, Chase inadvertently falls head over heels for her, and romance ensues!

I feel I should preface this review by saying that I’m not a huge fan of the straight-up rom...more
Leann Luckett
Aug 13, 2009 Leann Luckett rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all the ladies
I loved the story line of this book. I won this book on a book blog giveaway and decided to push it to the top of the TBR list. I am not disappointed by this decision at all. In the beginning I can relate to Sammi, the klutziness, insecurities, and her passiveness when it came to her job and landlord and especially dating. The book begins with Sammi hiring a life coach which she believes is Divine intervention in her life, who knew it would be to her heart also. Sammi learns through her life coa...more
Trisha W.
I LOVED this book. I laughed out loud while I was reading this. It is about a woman named Sammi who has a problems dating. She tends to hurt her boyfriends. One had broken ribs after I date. So when FBI agent Chase Jones fills in for his brother, Luke, that is in the witness protection program for witnessing a murder, Chase takes over his Life Coach business.
You get to meet Horace, who is a 44-year-old man who stills lives with is controlling mother who has to know exactly what Horace is doing a...more
Gaby
Synopsis:
Sammi Matthews has had awful luck with men. After the bad breakup with her ex- eighteen months ago, Sammi has somehow injured every man that she's been interested in. A black eye, a broken rib, and a broken leg, it is no wonder that she's ready to see a life coach to get her love life in order. So, drawn to an ad in the newspaper, Sammi calls Luke for help.

FBI Special Agent Chase Jones is Luke's older brother. He's also the reason that Luke has had to go into Witness Protection for a fe...more
Cheryl
Samantha “Sammi” Matthews needs help desperately. At first glance you would have to stop and wonder why a beautiful woman would need any help but looks can be deceiving. Sammi is a walking tornado. In her wake, she has left bodies of men bruised and mangled from her klutziness. It is not like Sammi wants to hurt men but it just happens and that is why she needs help. She is hoping that by hiring a life coach that she can break this spell of bad luck.

When FBI Special Agent Chase Jones’s brother,...more
Cindy
I enjoyed this book more than I expected to. It played out like a chick flick: cute, funny and romantic. It is a nice fluffy read for a relaxing weekend or for those long summer days. It is easy to get into and the story is a bit different so it kept me entertained and coming back for more, something I hadn't expected.

The main characters, Chase and Sammi, are very likeable. Their personalities are really different but they are so funny and opposite that you can't help but enjoy them and their c...more
Resti  Triyuliandha
what a fun read. really made my day. I had a lot of fun read this book .I laughed a loud by many things in this book. my cousin, who sat beside me was wondering what kind of book i was reading.
Sammy was really a likeable character. she's kind, too kind by the way, and she's smart. i liked her. and chase. wow. a FBI who was helping his brother,Luke, when Luke was on protection as a witness in one of mafia operation. he had to endured when he listened his brother's patient. Luke was a life coach....more
Jessica
Light and fluffy are all that come to mind when I think about this book. Hero with perfect six-pack abs and typical hero job (FBI agent), check. Sufficiently insecure heroine with a host of problems (crappy boss, soon to be evicted, insecure, clutzy), check. The BIG MISUNDERSTANDING, check.

The tropes were out in full force, but I didn't care a lick for the main characters. Sixty-eight year old Arlene and funky sister Chloe were far more interesting - too bad they didn't have their own books.
Freda mans
This was such a romantic story, and I enjoyed every minute of it. There was one main romance, with a couple of "side" romances with other characters. I was rapt in all three. The characters were believable, and the author wrote in a way that made the story flow really well. I love when a story can make me laugh out loud, and more than once, this one did just that! It was a great heartwarming romance, that was very classy too! A very entertaining read, and a recommendation by me!!
Amy Ramkhelawan
This is your typical romance novel, with a few added twists. When his younger brother witnesses a mob hit and has to enter the witness protection program, Chase must fill in for his brother in his life coaching practice. What follows is some funny scenarios with a girl who is so clumsy, she keeps injuring her dates as well as an aspiring accordian playing rapper. It truly is unique and creative in character descriptions. A fun read!
Crystal
I loved this book! I couldn't put it down. Every time I had a free moment, I was picking up this book. I loved the characters and the plot was great. Really there wasn't any bad language, not like in previous book I have read. Especially in the romance genre. There were some laugh out loud moments with this book as well. I always like those kind of books.
Swati
This is laugh out loud romantic comedy with a bit of suspense at the backdrop. It was a good read and I finished it in one go. The museum curator Sammi and the FBI cop Chase had their moments and for a change the concept of an FBI agent actually playing a life coach more than a cop in the novel was refreshing.

Diana Rowland
I love fun and light contemporary romances like this. This was a quick and enjoyable read that had plenty of silly (but not corny) humor, along with sweet and believable romantic entanglings, and an ending that's delightfully satisfying in every way.
Heather
BBA pick #2 - gave it 6/10.

This breezy read easily qualifies as cute and cozy. Well-written contemporary romance with sympathetic and believable main characters. The secondary stories and surrounding characters really help bring this book to life.
Miranda
I ate this book up. Light and and fun, a great summer read in contrast to all the dark urban fantasy reading I have been doing. Sometimes I have to say, "To hell with the apocalypse!" and enjoy a sweet and quirky romance. This was it, for sure.
Tam
I loved the concept of this book. But the heroine got quickly on my nerves because she has such low confidence that the "but I don't think he's interested" gets old. Like seriously woman, get over it.
Latte
A lot of chuckling went into the reading of this book. Delightful characters in a cute storyline. You don't want to miss Horace, the rapping accordion player.
Loria
Feb 28, 2011 Loria rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Yes
I enjoy the book. It was different from most romance. Mainly because it was entertaining. You could almost picture your self watching at movies.
Jill
Definitely some laugh-out-loud moments in this book--I had to control myself since I was in the break room at work. Great story and characters!

Countrygirl
This was a very cute and fun read. I loved all the mishaps between Sammi and Trace. If you have ever been a klutz this book is for you.
Christy Stewart
Too many cops and dogs. I hate both of those things.

And the end was so cheesy I wanted to put a gun to my head.
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
very funny book.....I caught some errors in the ARC, hope they fix them!

Carolyn L
Really liked this one. Good story. Funny and quirky.
Jen
Dec 12, 2009 Jen marked it as to-read
Museum curator heroine, WOOT!
Selma
Dec 04, 2011 Selma marked it as to-read
kanske ska läsa??
  • One Deadly Sin
  • Love is a Four-Legged Word
  • How to Tame a Modern Rogue
  • Dirty Sexy Knitting (Malibu and Ewe #3)
  • Wish You Were Here
  • Yours for the Taking (Domestic Gods, #4)
  • Slow Burn (NASCAR, #7)
  • So Into You (Cajun, #8)
  • Addicted to Love (Wedding Veil Wishes, #3)
  • A New Attitude
  • Hot
  • Explosion in Paris
  • It Happened One Night
  • Guys & Dogs (Guys & Dogs, #1)
  • For Kicks
  • Rewriting Monday
  • Tall Tales and Wedding Veils
  • The Soldier (McPherson Brothers, #2)
2922015
When Robin Wells sold her first romance novel in 1995, her family celebrated at a Chinese restaurant. Robin’s fortune cookie read, “Romance moves you in a new direction.”
And it certainly has! Robin has since written sixteen critically acclaimed novels that have been translated into eighteen languages. Her books have won the National Golden Heart Award, two National Readers’ Choice Awards, the Awa...more
More about Robin Wells...
Baby, Oh Baby! Still the One Between the Sheets The Babe Magnet Ooh, La La!