Start by marking “Jellaby: Monster in the City (Jellaby, #2)” as Want to Read:
Jellaby: Monster in the City (Jellaby, #2)

Jellaby: Monster in the City (Jellaby #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  735 ratings  ·  71 reviews
As Portia, Jason, and Jellaby continue their journey through the city of Toronto, Portia is torn between her friendship with Jellaby and her duty to help the sweet monster find his way back to his home. How can Portia say goodbye forever, when Jellaby has become her best friend?
But the clues leading them to Jellaby's origins begin to turn sinister. When a hooded wizard int
Published April 1st 2009 by Hyperion Books

To ask other readers questions about Jellaby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jellaby

Smile by Raina TelgemeierThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickBone, Vol. 1 by Jeff SmithDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyAmulet, Vol. 1 by Kazu Kibuishi
Best Graphic Novels for Children
60th out of 564 books — 709 voters
Magic America by C.E. MedfordCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick NessA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Neverending Story by Michael Ende
Best Fictional Pets
68th out of 106 books — 44 voters

More lists with this book...

karen
i feel like i have been waiting for the second installment of this forever. and then of course i bought it the day it came in and read it in about 20 minutes. such fleeting pleasures. but i do love it. i first discovered him in the "flight" anthologies, and was glad he had longer-form books. just not enough of them. this is one of the cutest characters ever invented. merchandise it already!
Karly *The Vampire Ninja*
I love Jellaby!!!

I got this second-hand because for whatever reason I couldn't find it in my local bookstore... they should really work on that!

And it was wonderful, I just love Soo's imagery and character voices!

This is from Volume One, but google is failing me....

I just LOVE him, that is all!!

Thanks for the recommendation, Karen & Erica :)
Sam
Huge thank you to Stone Arch Books and Netgalley for this ARC!

I was a huge fan of the first Jellaby graphic novel. If there's one thing Kean Soo knows how to do well, it's create humor without the use of dialogue. This definitely returns in the sequel, but Jellaby, Portia and Jason have to face some scary situations in this book, some which are quite terrifying.

I'm not going to sugar coat my feelings for this book. A lot of the reason why I loved this story was that it reminded me of my father w
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
jellaby has gotten borrrrring. *gasp*

how could this ever be?

well, firstly, you have to factor in a reader who's lately got the attention-span of humming birds made of clouds in rainy seasons when storms abound.

then, you'll need an old framework for a story with sparse enchanting elements.

and then there are the requisite annoyingly good kids who fight, fight(in different contexts) and finally become friends again, the depravity they faced having renewed their bonds.

to be honest, the kids annoye
Aleece
Jason and Portia finally get Jellaby to the city but unfortunately they are lost and in order to figure out where to go they stop at a bookstore to look at a map. Portia seems to become frightened when she is left alone. Eventually Portia opens up about her feelings and how she misses her dad. Jason and Jellaby run into a beast that is similar to Jellaby called XOLOTL but her intentions are anyone's guess.

Overall I felt this is a good graphic novel that may help children talk about their feeling
Karissa
I got an ebook of this book from NetGalley to review. This is the second book in the Jellaby series. It continues where the first book left off. This was a cute little story that should appeal to younger readers.

Portia and Jason continue on their journey to get Jellaby to the city in hopes of finding his way home. Portia loves having Jellaby for a friend but wants to help him find his home too. Their search leads them to a circus where they meet a mysterious hooded man that seems to know about
Andréa
While it's clear Jellaby: Monster in the City is not the first book in the Jellaby series, it is still possible to follow the story without having read the previous book.

Jellaby's great facial expressions make him/her an endearing character, and the simple purple/pink/orange color scheme is eye-catching without being overwhelming. As other reviewers have pointed out, there's a strong similarity between Kean Soo's artwork in the Jellaby series and Bill Watterson's classic Calvin & Hobbes seri
Matthew
This was a really great book, but there's one thing that made me give it a one star: THERE'S NO THIRD BOOK TO CLOSE OUT THE SERIES! It was just as good as the first, but there's so many hanging questions left. It's annoying me.
Becki

Having had an ARC of this to read I hadn't read the first in the series and you are thrown right in the middle of a plot. Which you can pick the story up as you go along it was an abrupt start that means you really need to read them in order to get the full Jellaby experience.

Jellaby was adorable and very expressive but it took me a while to realize Portia was actually female (despite the obvious clue with the name!)

I felt it would have been better if the comic was in full color rather than a f
É F.K. Ó Conghaile
A waste of a potentially good story. Where the first was cute, a bit odd, and somewhat adventurous, this one was creepy, convoluted, inconclusive, and no fun. The first third or so was trying to retain some cuteness, but I was confused how the group could be so easily distracted by an amusement park (even if there was some good imagery out of that section).

The speed at which the story developed into something creepy and unsettling was rapid and disturbing. Anything the group learned from this po
Bonnie
Jun 15, 2009 Bonnie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like comics and dragons and Calvin & Hobbes
Yay! I'm so glad the second Jellaby finally came out. Portia, Jason, and Jellaby come closer to finding out where Jellaby is from, while Portia gets a chance *maybe* to confront her father, who has been missing for years but seems mysteriously connected to Jellaby's appearance. There's monsters, there's talking pigeons, and lots of carrots!

This was a fast-paced volume and it was over before I knew it. I really like how Soo shows Portia's strengths and weaknesses... she's so strong, but she's al
Amy
Nov 11, 2009 Amy added it
Shelves: 2009, j-comics
Another top-notch Jellaby book from Kean Soo. In this installment, Portia and Jason take Jellaby to Toronto to try and find his home. The only clue they have is a picture of a mysterious door. They find the door, only to become trapped in a weird, magical parallel reality with a murderous monster. One of the final scenes - where our heroic trio is trying to escape the monster - is brilliant, with very little text. All the action is conveyed through the artwork, and it's very effective. Jellaby d ...more
Kelsey
Jason, Portia, and Jellaby are on an adventure to find a mystery door. When they discover who is behind this door, will they be able to escape? Only as a team will these two friends and Jellaby discover a way to survive. This graphic novel will appeal to children both in design and illustration, as well as plot. Kids will fall in love with Jellaby while reading this novel cover to cover.
DaNae
Monster in the City picks up seconds after its predecessor ends, with Portia, Jason, and Jellaby stranded next to the train tracks after jumping clear of the train that was taking them to the city where they hoped to uncover the mystery of Jellaby’s origins. Once the intrepid trio makes it to the city they encounter thrills, spills, intrigues and danger.
Although I found the second book sweet and amusing, and a bit menacing, it was harder for me to follow than the first. Soo uses flashbacks and i
Melissa
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

I had never heard of Jellaby before. Kind of feel like I missed out on something. This was a great book as far as second installments go. I did have to piece some things together though. Now I definitely have to read the first one!
Sarah Sammis
Two years ago I read Jellaby for the Cybils short list. What I hadn't realized was that the first volume was allowed to go out of print just as Jellaby: Monster in the City was published.

In Monster in the City Portia and Jason find a way to get Jellaby to Toronto where he can hook up with his family. The adventure involves a ride on a train, a trip to the fair, a mysterious door and secrets in the sewers below the city.

As with the first book, I adore Kean Soo's illustrations. He uses a limited p
Kellee
Reviewed at: http://www.teachmentortexts.com/2012/...

Summary: In the sequel to Jellaby, we continue Portia, Jason and Jellaby's journey. They will encounter many obstacles in their quest to find answers including bullies, inclement weather, fights and a monster.

What I Think: Luckily, this sequel is a continuation of the first Jellaby because that one definitely left you hanging and the story does not disappoint. You see the characters growing so much through this journey even when they encounte
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Next in the series.

I enjoyed this volume a might better than the first since I at least knew what to expect but was still disappointed. Sure I love the illustrations; they are cute and all once you get used to the teeny kids and I like the expressions the artist can convey just with the character's eyes. But story wise I did not find it satisfying. Too many questions were left in my mind and no questions were answered. What happened to Portia's father? Is Jellaby an imaginary
Malia
This one wasn't as lovely as the first Jellaby for me. Way tonally different, with so much more action, that it wasn't my bag. Jellaby is still maxed out on cuteness though.
Melle
The second installment of the Jellaby series is just as sweet and cute and engaging as the first. Again, same purple tinge with orange highlight throughout. A fun, fast-paced read that is still pretty deep and reflective for a kid's book.
Denise
Very simply and effectively drawn and written. It is amazing how Jellabys face can be so expressive with only two colors.
Ashley
Ages: 9-12
Rating: 3/5

Plot: The story of where Jellaby comes from continues as Portia and Jason take him to Toronto. What they find there is not what any of them were expecting.

Assessment: My expectations for this second book were not satisfied. The questions that were raised in the first book were never really answered. The reader does not find out where Jellaby comes from, or what happened to Portia's dad.

The main strength in this conclusion to the story of Jellaby, was the focus on friendship
Ryoma Echizen
Kean Soo's Jellaby: Monster in the City by Kean Soo is a popular book for kids 10 and up. This book talks continues the journey of Jellaby, Jason and Portia to the halloween fair at the Exhibition Centre. But when they reach the magic show, they were taken to a monster similar to Jellaby who wants to corrupt Jason. Will they be able to escape?

I picked up this book because I wanted to read the finale to this book.

I finished this book because I can't let go of the book. It was too awesome!

I thi
Emilia P
Ummm yes it was still really great! And I liked how it had only a moderate level of resolution. Things were ok but not perfect and nobody learned a huge lesson -- brave for a kids book!

The one star downgrade is because I didn't really follow the climactic fight scene with the big clingy dragon. How did they beat her? What did it meeeeen?

But seriously, it was still really good - straddling the dangerous line between super-cute and meaningful expertly. Then I saw on the back "for fans of Owly and
Richard
Kean Soo's Jellaby books have captured my heart and imagination.
Christian
As I left school yesterday, I saw that one of my students had left this behind. Needing something to breeze through during In Service, I picked it up.

I am not sure what the point of the story is. Having read the first volume, I thought I knew where this might be going but this one seemed to be filled with half thought out ideas that were sort of thrown together. It might work on some level, but the "plot" is too often sidetracked and moving at a glacial pace.

Maybe in a few months I'll check wiki
Elizabeth
Charming and beautifully written.
Jill Guccini
Jellaby is so cute!
Alicia Scully
Portia, Jason, and Jellaby continue to look for the door to get Jellaby back home. The find a magician that says that he can help them, but is he really all that trustworthy?

I thought that I would get answers with this one but I didn't. It kind of just ended and left me disappointed for the lack of world-building and development. So many things weren't resolved in this book that I don't really know what to make of it besides the fact that Jellaby is adorable and that will probably be enough for
  • Owly, Vol. 3: Flying Lessons
  • Tower of Treasure (Three Thieves, #1)
  • Hilda and the Black Hound
  • Binky to the Rescue
  • Phoebe and Her Unicorn (Heavenly Nostrils #1)
  • Gabby and Gator
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
  • Courtney Crumrin's Monstrous Holiday (Courtney Crumrin, #4)
  • Hamster and Cheese
  • A Very Babymouse Christmas (Babymouse, #15)
  • The Courageous Princess
  • Bake Sale
  • Korgi, Book 1: Sprouting Wings
  • How Mirka Met a Meteorite (Hereville #2)

Jellaby (2 books)
  • Jellaby (Jellaby, #1)
Jellaby (Jellaby, #1) Jellaby: 1 March and the Great Desert Rally March and the Baker's Run March and the Race at Harewood