Start by marking “$3 Meals: Feed Your Family Delicious, Healthy Meals for Less than the Cost of a Gallon of Milk” as Want to Read:

2.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  31 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
$3 Meals is a new kind of low-cost-cooking book, comprising more than 250 simple recipes—none requiring more thantwenty minutes of “hands-on” time—that cost less than a gallon of milk—and yet look and taste darn good . . . and are good for you, too. ...more
Published April 14th 2009 by Lyons Press (first published April 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about $3 Meals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about $3 Meals

Kerri
Jun 16, 2011 Kerri rated it it was ok
This could have been a lot better. These are not really frugal meals. She means $3 per serving, not per meal. It's going to be cheaper than eating out, of course. If you are looking for ideas to reduce food costs at home, look elsewhere.
Katie Ark
I found a couple new recipes to try but much preferred the book CHEAP, FAST, GOOD which has more extensive shopping advice and dozens of recipes my family loves in each of its sections. Maybe people who especially like fish recipes would appreciate this title more?
Peach
Dec 28, 2009 Peach rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2009
There is NO WAY that these are $3 meals. I read the book and showed it to a few friends, and we all agree - there's just no way. I didn't find any recipe in this book that I couldn't find online or on any of the typical "frugal cooking" type websites...it was very disappointing. I wonder what the criteria was for these recipes to be included as $3 meals? The author never talks about the bottom line price for each recipe, never really addresses the $3 promise at all.

I think I'm going to go grab a
Joffre Swait
Apr 21, 2010 Joffre Swait rated it did not like it
The idea of $3 meals is right up my alley. Unfortunately I didn't count on the book being authored by a former USA Today food critic, whose principal virtues seemed to be a desire keep food convenient (for the sake of career) and a vague idea that you should feel guilty about eating out too much. Skip it.
Julie
Mar 09, 2010 Julie rated it did not like it
This book made me mad because they're not really $3 meals. Each serving is that cost or less. So they're closer to $10 meals, and mostly don't seem impressive. Not basic ingredients or very easy to make. I made two recipes out of it and they were both just so-so. Nothing super exciting.
Anne
Mar 25, 2011 Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Just a few recipes to try. Affirmed that I am doing the right things to prepare inexpensive but healthy meals.

Laurie
Sep 22, 2011 Laurie rated it it was ok
Too much fish. Ew. : )
Brandi Blair
Brandi Blair marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Cassie
Cassie rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Ava
Ava marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Ejb
Ejb rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2015
Randi
Randi marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Kay Card
Kay Card marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
Mandy
Mandy rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Eyenowhour
Eyenowhour rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Mrlnz
Mrlnz marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Vegan Friendsgiving
Vegan Friendsgiving marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Steve Walsh
Steve Walsh marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
Catmampbell
Catmampbell marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2013
Amy
Amy added it
Jun 01, 2014
Patti Trehar
Patti Trehar marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
Trina Underwood
Trina Underwood marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
Emilie
Emilie marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013