Start by marking “Failing Forward: How to Make the Most of Your Mistakes” as Want to Read:
Failing Forward: How to Make the Most of Your Mistakes

Failing Forward: How to Make the Most of Your Mistakes

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  3,171 ratings  ·  178 reviews
The major difference between achieving people and average people is their perception of and response to failure. John C. Maxwell takes a closer look at failure-and reveals that the secret of moving beyond failure is to use it as a lesson and a stepping-stone. He covers the top reasons people fail and shows how to master fear instead of being mastered by it. Readers will di ...more
Published March 8th 2000 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Failing Forward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Failing Forward

Marwan Alamoudi
قصتي مع الكتاب: قبل قراءة الكتاب كنت أواجه أوقات صعبة وخيارات متقاربة لتحديد أمور مستقبليةوقراراتي كانت تصطدم بذكريات سيئة وفاشلة في الماضي, وتأثرت نفسيا بسبب ضغط التفكير المستمر.

قرأت هذا الكتاب وجدت نفسي فيه, وجدته هو من انتشلني من زحمة التفكير و والضغط النفسي لمواجهة هذا الماضي السيئ ومن ثم تحديد ما أريده بلا تأثيرات سابقة مباشرة وغير مباشرة, كنت اقرأ أخطائي مع كل صفحة.

فعلا بداية التغيير ونقطة انطلاق كبيرة في حياتي بسبب هذا الكتاب ربما سأعود لكم بالنتائج بعد سنوات اذا كان التأثير ايجابي أو سل
Greg Frucci
I began reading this book wondering why a mentor of mine suggested that I read it in the first place. I began the first few pages with the attitude of "yeah, yeah, yeah...I know all this stuff already...my Mentor obviously has no clue who I am." I kept reading, then the note taking began...big-time. Hahaha...oh the humility I thought I possessed.

We have all heard the cliches before. The ones like, "we learn from our mistakes", etc. Yet, do you have an action plan in place for truly learning and
Danny
Some of my favorite quotes:
“People are training for success when they should be training for failure. Failure is far more common than success; poverty is more prevalent than wealth; and disappointment more normal than arrival.” J. Wallace Hamilton
“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.“ Thomas A. Edison
To achieve your dreams, you must embrace adversity and make failure a part of your life. If you are not failing, you are probably
Sheryl
Life is a series of outcomes. Sometimes the outcome is what you want. Great. Figure out what you did right. Sometimes the outcome is what you don't want. Great. Figure out what you did so you don't do it again. ~~Psychologist Simone Caruthers

Joanne
"Failure is an inside job." That is the message of this book. It teaches us the difference between "average" people and those who achieve. That difference is how they view, and how they respond to "failure". We learn to redefine both failure and success - in terms of what we learn, of course. But it goes well beyond delivering a "There, there, things aren't so bad" message. It provides strategies for effective cognitive reframing, along with lots of inspiration, and examples we can identify with ...more
Kevin Richardson
This is one of my all time favorite books, "Failing Forward" by John C. Maxwell. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has dealt with failure or disappointment in their life. You will gain a new perspective on failure and learn how to turn failure into a stepping stone for success. Through this book you will learn that the difference between average people and achieving people is their perception of and response to failure. Maxwell will provide straight forward principles for overcoming fai ...more
Abdulmohsin Alghareeb
الكتاب لم يقدم لي الشيء الجديد ، بل كان بمثابة تذكير لما كنت اعرفه مسبقا ، و ذلك يعود الى انني قرأت الكثير من الكتب في هذا المجال ، لكن الكتاب سيكون بداية ممتازة لمن لم يقرأ هذا النوع من الكتب.
يتكلم الكتاب عن امور شتى و لعل ابرزها هو الفشل و كيفية النهوض منه ، و اعجبني التفاعل بين الكاتب و القارئ و ذلك بطرح بعض الاسئلة ليجيب عنها القارئ و يقيم نفسه.
بالنهاية ، انصح الجميع بقراءة هذا الكتاب.
Mary May
I learned that mistakes are not your foe but actually your fiend if yo use them to improve yourself.
Mark Anthony  Howard
John Maxwell is my guy. I basically raised myself upon his literature. His books are so practical and empowering and this one is nothing short of same amazing quality. Failing Forward is a John C. Maxwell classic to me and I still go back time to time and reference it. I've even seen several mainstream duplications by authors.

Personally this book was a slow read for myself but I appreciated so many of the points and perspective. As an entrepreneur I take business failures so personal. This was
Robb
Excellent book, the only reason not 5 stars is because the writing style is simple, but a simple writing style is effective for what Maxwell is trying to accomplish. He basically convinced me well that mistakes and failures are necessary for creating a successful life, and to not allow them to stop me in my tracks. Also to not avoid avoid taking risks because of fear of failure. Many interesting stories of successful people and all the times they failed and persevered. My only suggestion would b ...more
Ursula
It was my high school friend, Alein N., who introduced me to one of the world’s finest motivational speaker, when he let me borrowed John C. Maxwell’s How to Become a Person of Influence. Since then, I have been an avid fan of John C. Maxwell, especially in his book on 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership.

Before Christmas break started, I visited our university library to browse some books. Fortunately, I came across John Maxwell’s Failing Forward. After a quick reading on its cover page, I immedi
Steven
This is the type of book that you have to read in little doses to get the full effect. The basics of this book is how we handle failure. Within six chapters of the book I can say that it has impacted my life. The thing that stood out was the fact that how we handle failure is basically up to us. Failure is an inside job, so is success. It’s what happens on the inside, inside of us that determines if we fail forward or backward. The inside, our inner being and how we really look at life. How we h ...more
Abby
I have started my interest on John Maxwell’s books after I read his 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork. I think his writing approach was well explained in a manner that it could be cognizable not only by professionals but by students too. I rated this work with four stars because I really like his comprehensiveness in writing empowered by situational experiences. It proves that the laws here are not only perceivable but rather doable.
I have never read any kind of books yet about success and failu
Edwin Ho
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It really helped me to see the bigger picture. As a previous perfectionist, I found it difficult to move on from my mistakes since I was very detail-oriented. The cost of a mistake seemed to be so daunting on my both my physical and mental health. All these years of working and making mistakes, it really took a toll on my body. Its principles really helped me to move on from my mistakes and not to take it so personally. I still review the book from day to day. It' ...more
Andrew Hartley
Mar 16, 2008 Andrew Hartley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: students, business-people, everyone
Recommended to Andrew by: Randy Daniels
Shelves: philosophy, business
Failing Forward is an excellent book for those who want to make a positive change in their lives, whether it be for business or personal reasons.

It's also fantastic for those who already know that failure is really just a learning experience on the way to massive success, but may need a reminder once in awhile.

Do yourself a favor and read this book if you want to turn your life around - or even if you just want to turn your small successes into huge, life-changing, incredible successes!
Arcyllin Arcilla
This was a timely read for me after experiencing a major challenge way back in college. I say timely because even if we all go past through trials in life, sometimes our failures cling to us and mar our confidence in ourselves, hamper our efforts of starting again and even the hopes of excelling. In Failing Forward, John Maxwell presents a new way of looking at the inevitable failures, that they are actually opportunities for us to move to a higher level, closer to our destinies.
Lu Tu
open your heart for failing, accept it, learn from it and keep failing forward.... things is always easy said than done. But you will be no where without try doing something, so, why dont we try failing with a better gratitude and appreciate the failed situation? .... as people use to say.... no pain .... no gain...
Ally
I really enjoyed this book. The biggest lesson i learned from Maxwell that was transformational in how i quickly i rebound from mistakes is: Fail Fast. In essence, fail, learn what you did wrong, correct it & keep moving quickly. Don't sit in the mire, just learn & move on. Great advice, great book!
Katherine
It was full of inspirational and motivational thoughts that helped me deal with life as a whole...
Kaisa
Jan 13, 2009 Kaisa added it
you just got to move on... no matter what! failure is but a part of success!
Monisha Taylor
Awesome and Inspirational. Failure is moving toward success not away from it.
Khoisan
"If you really want to achieve your dreams, you've got to get out there and fail. Fail early, fail often, fail forward. Turn your mistakes into stepping stones for success."

I cannot begin to explain how much I loved this book. I learned so much and will be meditating on its lessons for years to come. Thank you John Maxwell. I feel so blessed.

I highly recommend this book.
Mohamed Labadi
Fail Fast ..

This book focuses on embracing failure and using them as fuel for successes!

The more mistakes you make early in life, the earlier you will successfully reach your goal. Learning a lot reflecting on my past mistakes and failure.
Encountering today's failure means you are one step closer to tomorrow's success.

Fail early, fail often, fail forward.
Chris Munson
If I could sum up ‘Failing Forward’ in a single word, I would choose ‘empowering.’ Like most individuals my journey through corporate America has been littered with management cliches like ‘failure is not an option’ or ‘flawless execution.’ Frankly, I’ve always thought these are bunk and if you are in an organization that uses them…get out now! In ‘Failing Forward’ Maxwell does a masterful job of laying out a framework where a normal human being can fail, learn from it, and eventually succeed. F ...more
David Vogelsang
“The increase of suicides, alcoholics, and even some forms of nervous breakdowns is evidence that many people are training for success when they should be training for failure. Failure is far more common than success; poverty is more prevalent than wealth; and disappointment more normal than arrival.” ~ J. Wallace Hamilton

This quote prompted John C. Maxwell to write the book and he wants us [the readers] to learn how to confidently look the prospect of failure in the eye and move forward anyway.
Merie
Maxwell again proves to be a good motvational writer. This book I would summarize in his own last words in the last chapter "keep dreaming keep failing forward". This book encourages on committing mistakes, failures then bouncing bacl from it. I was moved by this book and made me want to purchase and read more of his writings.
ahmed Tuaimah
this book is one of few book which attracted me very much , Stories that contained a great and wonderful , Written in an interesting and modern manner , This book aims to change your idea about ​​failure drastically, the Book is very helpful and I would recommend it for reading
Jane Wheeler
Everyone needs to read this book. I gave a copy to my 3 adult children. We are taught all through our life to "succeed". We are never taught that along the way we will have to fail a lot first. Our nation does not know how to handle failure or even to expect it.
Gerhard Hodwalker
Es un excelente libro.

un libro que deberían leer todos aquellos que desean ser exitosos. debemos entender para tener éxito se necesita pasar por muchos fracasos. estos nos darán la experiencia para seguir luchando.
Terry
For me, this is easily the most profound book I've read of John C Maxwell's some 60 books. Of course, I haven't read them all, but I have read many, yet this book stands apart. It stands apart for me because it is so full of encouragement with personal stories of people that struggled and made it, often, because of those struggles. Often we may think that these struggles are roadblocks in our way, but more often, they are just signs to help guide us to a better destination sometimes, or create a ...more
Failing Forward 5 28 Aug 15, 2013 09:40AM
  • Go for No! Yes is the Destination, No is How You Get There
  • Visioneering: God's Blueprint for Developing and Maintaining Personal Vision
  • Goals!: How to Get Everything You Want Faster Than You Ever Thought Possible
  • Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • Launching a Leadership Revolution: Mastering the Five Levels of Influence
  • Acres of Diamonds
  • Little Gold Book of Yes! Attitude: How to Find, Build and Keep a Yes! Attitude for a Lifetime of Success
  • The Compound Effect
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • The Slight Edge: Secret to a Successful Life
  • Gung Ho!
  • The Power Of Focus
  • 7 Strategies for Wealth & Happiness: Power Ideas from America's Foremost Business Philosopher
  • The Psychology of Winning
  • The Go-Giver: A Little Story About a Powerful Business Idea
  • The Business School For People Who Like Helping People
  • Hung by the Tongue
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac ...more
More about John C. Maxwell...
The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership Developing the Leader Within You Winning with People The 360 Degree Leader: Developing Your Influence from Anywhere in the Organization Becoming a Person of Influence

“In life, the question is not if you will have problems, but how you are going to deal with your problems. If the possibility of failure were erased, what would you attempt to achieve?

The essence of man is imperfection. Know that you're going to make mistakes. The fellow who never makes a mistake takes his orders from one who does. Wake up and realize this: Failure is simply a price we pay to achieve success.

Achievers are given multiple reasons to believe they are failures. But in spite of that, they persevere. The average for entrepreneurs is 3.8 failures before they finally make it in business.

When achievers fail, they see it as a momentary event, not a lifelong epidemic.

Procrastination is too high a price to pay for fear of failure. To conquer fear, you have to feel the fear and take action anyway. Forget motivation. Just do it. Act your way into feeling, not wait for positive emotions to carry you forward.

Recognize that you will spend much of your life making mistakes. If you can take action and keep making mistakes, you gain experience.

Life is playing a poor hand well. The greatest battle you wage against failure occurs on the inside, not the outside.

Why worry about things you can't control when you can keep yourself busy controlling the things that depend on you?

Handicaps can only disable us if we let them. If you are continually experiencing trouble or facing obstacles, then you should check to make sure that you are not the problem.

Be more concerned with what you can give rather than what you can get because giving truly is the highest level of living.

Embrace adversity and make failure a regular part of your life. If you're not failing, you're probably not really moving forward.

Everything in life brings risk. It's true that you risk failure if you try something bold because you might miss it. But you also risk failure if you stand still and don't try anything new.

The less you venture out, the greater your risk of failure. Ironically the more you risk failure — and actually fail — the greater your chances of success.

If you are succeeding in everything you do, then you're probably not pushing yourself hard enough. And that means you're not taking enough risks. You risk because you have something of value you want to achieve.

The more you do, the more you fail. The more you fail, the more you learn. The more you learn, the better you get.

Determining what went wrong in a situation has value. But taking that analysis another step and figuring out how to use it to your benefit is the real difference maker when it comes to failing forward. Don't let your learning lead to knowledge; let your learning lead to action.

The last time you failed, did you stop trying because you failed, or did you fail because you stopped trying?

Commitment makes you capable of failing forward until you reach your goals. Cutting corners is really a sign of impatience and poor self-discipline.

Successful people have learned to do what does not come naturally. Nothing worth achieving comes easily. The only way to fail forward and achieve your dreams is to cultivate tenacity and persistence.

Never say die. Never be satisfied. Be stubborn. Be persistent. Integrity is a must. Anything worth having is worth striving for with all your might.

If we look long enough for what we want in life we are almost sure to find it. Success is in the journey, the continual process. And no matter how hard you work, you will not create the perfect plan or execute it without error. You will never get to the point that you no longer make mistakes, that you no longer fail.

The next time you find yourself envying what successful people have achieved, recognize that they have probably gone through many negative experiences that you cannot see on the surface.

Fail early, fail often, but always fail forward.”
37 likes
“The difference between average people and achieving people is their perception of and response to...failure.” 9 likes