Start by marking “The Science of Battlestar Galactica” as Want to Read:
The Science of Battlestar Galactica

The Science of Battlestar Galactica

The official guide to the science behind the Battlestar Galactica universeBattlestar Galactica (BSG) has been called the best show on television, and as real as science fiction gets. It has dealt with issues of religious freedom, patriotism, terrorism, genetic engineering, and the ultimate science fiction question: what does it mean to be human? While the re-imagined BSG m ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Wiley (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Science of Battlestar Galactica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Science of Battlestar Galactica

Erik
Feb 06, 2011 Erik rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
As "Science Of..." books go, this one was better than most. Given that entire books could be made out of each chapter and still not exhaust the topics, the authors did an admirable job of boiling down the concepts to their essence and giving some firm scientific backing and theoretical speculation on the science side of this particular science-fiction show.

BSG did a lot in the way of research in an attempt to make the science at least plausible, without making the story the slave to the science.
Craig a.k.a Meatstack
It feels really strange to be giving this book 5 stars. After all, tie-in products usually come across as "shovelware" - a product with the logo just meant to separate the fan from his money.

That's exactly what I was expecting when I opened up the pages of this one.

What I got instead is Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything with Battlestar references. The authors explore anthropology, chemistry, medicine, physics, astronomy, military theory first, and tie it into Battlestar second.
Jason Craft
Jan 21, 2011 Jason Craft rated it it was amazing
Ever wondered how things work in the BSG universe? Well this book has all the answers from the official science adviser for the show. Every fan should pick this up and delve down deeper into the inner workings.

Do not read this if you have not watched all of the show, as nearly every spoiler is covered.
Teresa Jusino
Nov 10, 2010 Teresa Jusino rated it really liked it
Shelves: readandreviewed
I'm marking this book as "read" even though I haven't finished it, because it's more of a reference book than a book that you read straight through. For my "official" review of it, check out the write-up I did over at Tor.com:

Amanda Paige
Mar 07, 2011 Amanda Paige rated it it was amazing
This book talked about the science in Battlestar Galactica not only how it worked on the show but how it would work (or wouldn't work) in the real world. Very fascinating book and even though I am not a science or math whiz I could understand it. If you are a BSG fan I would recommend this book.
Pete Freind
Mar 28, 2012 Pete Freind rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Way more interesting than I expected- legit science in here, not just nerdy TV techno-babble
Jabriol
Jan 21, 2012 Jabriol rated it it was amazing

Excellent read. There is Hard science on every page. It makes Space travel feasible and credible.
John
Oct 04, 2012 John rated it liked it
I think 2.5 stars would be a better rating. It's slightly geared more towards a science "newb," but still offered new information. It's written in a glib style that mostly flows well, but it's two main problems are as follows:

1) "Moore's Law/The Laws of BSG" : The book helpfully points out that Ron Moore made a conscious choice *not* to explain how things worked in the BSG universe as he didn't want the techno babble to impinge on the drama. I'm dumb enough not to have picked up on this having w
Teressa
Jul 04, 2014 Teressa rated it it was amazing
"Excellent Physics Lesson 4.0 Based on BSG!"
What made listening to The Science of Battlestar Galactica the most enjoyable for me was the comparison of BSG to actual human life. ARE we creating our own Cylons like Frankenstein? Sentient is another word for consciousness or the ability to be aware of oneself. This audiobook was full of greatness! My favorite characters are the ones who created the Cylons. What I like about Tom Dheere’s performance is that he keeps a steady pace while speaking that
Jason Tiearney
I normally don't venture into nonfiction that's not related to my area of study, but I figured, it's BSG, so why not. Overall, I enjoyed the book and found the author's sense of humor and dry wit a welcome addition to potentially boring subject matter. I found that I learned a lot about astronomy and many other scientific topics that I would never read about in any other circumstance, but the explanations, equations, and terminology still fell considerably beyond my knowledge and interest. Parts ...more
David
Apr 04, 2011 David rated it liked it
Shelves: popular-science
The Science of Battlestar Galactica offers clear explanation and discussion of some of the technology and scientific concepts from the show - everything from starship propulsion and navigation to Cylon physiology. The book includes many photos, both publicity shots of the cast and stills from the show but in most cases these are only peripherally related, if at all, to the topic being discussed making the book feel 'padded' at times.
Thomas Myers
Jan 13, 2017 Thomas Myers rated it it was amazing
Did you know that Chaucer was reputedly the first author to include the words "Milky Way" in literature? And that the 12 Colonies invented a line of antibiotics based of mucus? You'll learn all these in- and out-of-universe facts in this super fun, super informative book that takes a look at all aspects of the science of the show Battlestar Galactica. The series will always have a special place in my heart, and this book brought back a lost of the memories.
John Maxim
Aug 03, 2016 John Maxim rated it it was amazing
You must like science but you'll still enjoy this book even if you don't like Battlestar Galactica. The science behind the sci-fi in this book is really dense, I loved it. I also like Battlestar, but found really cool insights into all the sci-fi I love on TV and movies.

My only disappointment is the scientific inaccuracies revealed from Arnold Schwarzenegger's Total Recall. It's like finding out about Santa all over again.
Mike
Jan 09, 2014 Mike rated it liked it
Science! Fiction! A fun little read.
Diego Marques
Dec 27, 2013 Diego Marques rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nerd
Every bsg fan should read this. Seriously!
Yianni
Oct 25, 2011 Yianni rated it liked it
I'd probably have given it another star if I didn't already know most of the science in the book.
Robert O.
Aug 31, 2014 Robert O. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, drama
An excellent, clever, and informative supplement to what is, in my opinion, the greatest show on television.
Martin
Dec 19, 2011 Martin rated it it was amazing
Faszinierend, wieviel Gedanken sich die Autoren von BSG gemacht haben. Auch wenn es weitgehened nach Moore’s Law (It’s only a show. Enjoy it) ging, stand vieles auf soliden wissenschaftlichen Füßen.
Gulda
Gulda rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2014
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
May 18, 2013
Gary
Gary rated it really liked it
May 19, 2014
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2011
Mo
Mo rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Dan Fullerton
Dan Fullerton rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Ashley Pasco
Ashley Pasco rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2014
Alex Z.
Alex Z. rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2015
Vedrana
Vedrana rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2012
Ty Beard
Ty Beard rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Jake Lang
Jake Lang rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2012
Rick Hall
Rick Hall rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy: Knowledge Here Begins Out There
  • Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy: Mission Accomplished or Mission Frakked Up?
  • Unity
  • The Cylons' Secret
  • Battlestar Galactica (Battlestar Galactica Miniseries, #1)
  • Battlestar Galactica 3: The Tombs of Kobol (Battlestar Galactica, #3)
  • Sagittarius Is Bleeding
  • The Galapagos Islands
  • Star Wars: The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
  • Star Wars:  The New Essential Guide to Vehicles & Vessels
  • The Nuclear Express: A Political History of the Bomb and Its Proliferation

“I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

—John Cavil, Cylon Model Number One, “No Exit”
30 likes