Start by marking “The Skin You Live In” as Want to Read:
The Skin You Live In

The Skin You Live In

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  234 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
With the ease and simplicity of a nursery rhyme, this lively story delivers an important message of social acceptance to young readers. Themes associated with child development and social harmony, such as friendship, acceptance, self-esteem, and diversity are promoted in simple and straightforward prose. Vivid illustrations of children's activities for all cultures, such a ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by Chicago Children's Museum

Zoraya Brown
I love that I could use this book to teach children about diversity, cultures other than their own, accepting themselves the way that they are and accepting others. My favorite line from the book is, "glows when it shows that it knows we love you skin." This is another opportunity that I would use to teach children about the benefits of healthy eating (glowing, beautiful skin!) We would compare skin tones and talk about how they are all beautiful. We would also look at photos of different cultur ...more
Kelly
Mar 07, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it
I first read this book in... uh... 2005 or so. I was working in a museum setting intentionally having conversations with children and their families about issues of race. This book gave a positive, lighthearted way to talk about skin color and offer possible language for describing skin tone, as well as making clear the ways skin in a part of who we are without defining who we are and of what we are capable. Since then, I have worked at the Chicago Children's Museum (CCM) for a bunch of years. A ...more
Ruby
Feb 13, 2012 Ruby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: culture
What an awesome book! Children can really appreciate and or be introduced to the diversity of skin colors around us. So many lessons about different cultures can come out of this book. I also appreciate the fact that it includes rhyming sentences. It also includes life lessons like sharing and caring for others, not discriminating gender, and learning to get along.

Extension activity: With skin color paint we can discuss which colors much each child best. After that, the children will be able to
Shannon Brasher
This book is a nice book to read to younger readers about diversity and the fact that we all are different on the outside but we are the same on the inside. I think this book does a good job addressing that topic, as it gives all kinds of rich language examples such as "The skin you're all day in; the skin you play in; the skin you snuggle up, cuddle up, lay in..." That helps to show children that even though your skin color may be different, you still have the same experiences. I really like th ...more
Mary
Nov 15, 2012 Mary rated it liked it
I appreciate the message here - the beauty of diversity and positive self-esteem - but this story goes on far longer than any child will sit still for. The illustrations are cute, but the rubberized, floppy body parts kind of creeped me out.
Christina Fisher
Jul 29, 2014 Christina Fisher rated it liked it
Made for young readers, this book uses rhyme to describe that people from different cultures may look different, but have many commonalities - less science, more social learning here, but still a great message for young kids, preschool to second grade, I would say. Instead of using this as an informational book to teach about skin itself (an interesting, science topic), this would be a great book to teach about juicy vocabulary and descriptions - the author uses phrases like "ginger-snapped, cin ...more
Melissa
Mar 31, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it
The Skin You Live In is a great book for young readers. The author does a good job in discussing all the different skin types and how they are unique to each person. I would recommend this to anyone who is reading this to a young child since it is easily comprehensible, but yet the graphics are colorful.
This book has to do with the issue of inequality and stereotypes. It discusses how everyone is different and may have different skin colors, but at the end of the day everyone is equal. This boo
Barbara Thompson Book
wonderful book about appreciating yourself and your appearance.
Latosha Finch
Nov 05, 2013 Latosha Finch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literacy-shelf
This book lets us know that we should love the skin that we live in. The book depicts all of the different things we do in our skin every day. The illustrations clearly show children who have different skin tones, and are smiling and happy about them. The varieties of skin tones are sure to allow students to see themselves. The words are descriptive and colorful, which I am sure will draw the attention of children. There are similes in which skin tone is related to tasty treats (“warm cocoa drea ...more
Melody
Mar 16, 2015 Melody rated it really liked it
- This book teaches children in a positive way that they should appreciate the skin that they are in. All of the characters shown in the book all have different skin colors and have a smile that depicts that they love who they are and are comfortable in their own skin. Just like in the classroom, this book emphasizes the importance of accepting one’s own skin color while also teaching the concept of sharing, race, and unity.
Anita
Mar 05, 2013 Anita rated it it was amazing
Shelves: just-be-yourself
I loved reading this book. The title says it all, "The Skin You Live in". It was incredibly uplifting. The book uses positive words throughout to show children that they should love the skin they are in. The opening line of the book is, "Hey, look at your skin...the wonderful skin you live in." The book continues by stating things that everyone does in their skin, such as sleep and dream; and run and jump in. The pictures in the book are not overly complicated. It's a cartoon drawn book, and the ...more
Roshini Jeevan
May 25, 2014 Roshini Jeevan rated it it was ok
This was actually not one of the books I enjoyed as much as any of the other ones. Although it had a great meaning, I didn't seem to find tho book interesting enough. It was about the many different kinds of people we have on this earth and how everyone (no matter where you are from or what your skin color looks like) is beautiful, special and important.
Russell
Jun 04, 2015 Russell rated it liked it
Initially approaching the book, I couldn't get Slayer out of my head.
Provoking images delicate features so smooth
A pleasant fragrance in the light of the moon

That every single description of skin within the pages involves food? I ended up in a really odd headspace, hungry for dessert and thrash metal.
Tara
Mar 24, 2016 Tara rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Cute book about celebrating different skin tones. It's a bit of a long book and I wasn't too into the illustrations, although it could easily be matched with an art project in a similar style of art. I liked the story of describing different skin tones and matching it with what we do with our bodies- eat, read, play, etc.
Marissa García
Apr 28, 2012 Marissa García rated it it was amazing
We leave behind all hang-ups about that organ that shells us in this bubbly book about celebrating skin and all it is and is not. Tyler urges young minds to understand that “your ginger snapped, cinnamon spice skin” and “your butterscotch gold skin, your lemon tart bold skin” cannot be dumb or smart, better or lesser, rich or poor, or she or he skin.

A gorgeous message communicated in well written verse is complimented by vivid illustration that partners just right. This book is a delight, and it
Andrea Sargent
Mar 08, 2015 Andrea Sargent rated it it was amazing
This is wonderfully written and illustrated book shows young readers that it is beautiful to be you. It shows children that no matter the color of your skin you are a beautifully unique one of a kind. All young children should be read this book in their classroom to see the many skin tones people posses and how it adds to our beauty and wonder.
Ms Threlkeld
Dec 26, 2014 Ms Threlkeld rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A delightful story in verse that prompts readers to think about their wonderful, beautiful, colorful skin and all it does for them. This would make for a fantastic read aloud and would probably lead to some interesting discussions.
April Smith
This would be a great book to use as a read aloud during the first week of school. This would be a great book to use in a diverse classroom because it shows that they may be different but they are all the same.
H
Oct 28, 2015 H rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Read this one slowly, because rhyming the word "skin" with "skin" is tiresome out loud. Good to get the conversation going with a toddler that people have different skin colours and that's pretty cool.
Charity Dobbs
Social acceptance is explained in a young reader’s eyes, but in many areas: friendship, acceptance, self-esteem, and diversity. It shows how a child should embrace their skin color, but realize we all do different children activities, i.e. swimming, hugging, and eating birthday cake.

Have a big blank canvas and each student will put their hands in paint, then put their painted hands on a blank canvas. The students can see that despite their different colored hands, together they blend to one uni
Becca Limberg
Jun 18, 2015 Becca Limberg rated it really liked it
A head on look at skin--that we are all different and that doesn't make us less or more than others. Rhythmic and vibrant enough that my antsy two-year-old listened all the way through.
Kaylan Nurse
Apr 08, 2014 Kaylan Nurse rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diversity
Great read for the younger children that are not yet exposed to this topic. The way the story flows with the rhymes will keep them interested with the text. With simplicity, this story offers an oppurtunity for parents or teachers to go into the topic of race with the students in a fun and colorful sort of way. The story targets younger children and makes them feel comfortable to express their ideas and thoughts about race. They also can connect to the book being that they are aroung the age of ...more
Amy B.
Jul 24, 2008 Amy B. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: early childhood educators & parents of young children
Recommended to Amy by: NEA website
Tyler, M. (2005). The skin you live in. Chicago, Illinois. Chicago Children’s Museum.

The Skin You Live In is a colorful celebration of skin and the many shades that can be seen around the world. The rhyming words come to life and instill meaning as they are words of encouragement and acceptance and diversity. The vibrant and colorful cartoon-like illustrations send messages of having fun and celebrating who you are and what you look like regardless of your skin, hair or eye color. I would sugges
Katherine Butrum
Dec 15, 2014 Katherine Butrum rated it it was amazing
I am in love with this beautiful book. It includes fun illustrations with easy to read pages full of rich poetry that I wish every human could grasp and hold in their hearts. I just love it!!!
Connie Lyle
Sep 09, 2015 Connie Lyle rated it really liked it
Taking pride in the person you are. builds self-esteem.
Arissa
Apr 07, 2014 Arissa rated it really liked it
This book is more like a poem with great illustrations to describe the writing. It shows a diverse group of children doing everyday things and it also has a message about being proud of the skin your in. The book introduces shades of complexions in a positive manner using food to describe them such as" your mountain high, apple pie, cookie dough rolled skin." This book can be used to teach a lesson about race and people live in all types of skin. This book/poem was inspired by the authors son.
Megan Brooks
Oct 21, 2013 Megan Brooks rated it really liked it
The Skin You Live In does a great job to show children you must love your skin because you do everything with your skin. It is a part of you and is never going to go away. "The skin you're all day in, the skin you play in, the skin that you snuggle up, cuddle up, lay in." As a teacher I would use this story to teach rhyme but you should love your self. Michael Tyler is a singer, songwriter and author. The illustrations are bright and busy, great for holding children's attention.
Erin
Jun 29, 2014 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Such a cute story and beautiful concept with great illustrations. The book is probably too long for the targeted age group.
Jessica
Jan 19, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
I think this book is perfect for children in the first grade level. I think that children as little as two year old already realize how other students are different from them, meaning by color. In this book we see how the different color skins are been appreciated and celebrated to an extend. I feel that this book will bring children to opportunity at a young age to be aware of how we all make look differently but we are at the end all human.
Mckenzie Quade
There was a nice rhythm and rhyme to this book. I like that it incorporated phonic awareness along with racial diversity. I am a big fan of introducing racial diversity into the classroom as young as possible. I'm not sure that I would use some of the words in this book to describe some of the skin colors because that could portray negative names or stereotypes of some cultures but I still like the concept behind the book.
  • The Colors of Us
  • The Name Jar
  • Happy in Our Skin
  • A Penguin Story
  • Big Words for Little People
  • Our Children Can Soar: A Celebration of Rosa, Barack, and the Pioneers of Change
  • The Secret Olivia Told Me
  • Nuts to You!

“And like flowers in the fields, that make wonderful views, when we stand side-by-side in our wonderful hues..

We all make a beauty so wonderfully true.
We are special and different, and just the same, too!

So whenever you look at your beautiful skin, from your wiggling toes to your giggling grin...

Think how lucky you are that the skin you live in, so beautifully holds the "You" who's within.”
73 likes