Start by marking “Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith” as Want to Read:
Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith

Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith

4.48  ·  Rating Details ·  2,841 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
First of a set of 16 book set which includes a volume for all fifteen latter-day prophets and an index
Kindle Edition
Published (first published May 15th 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith

Eric
Oct 24, 2008 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It occurred to me once that the vast majority of the words we regularly read from Joseph Smith are not his own words but things he translated or otherwise received from God. It was a wonderful experience to read this book and finally feel like I knew and understood Joseph. His personality came out and he felt real. My feelings about his prophetic calling went from belief/hope to confidence. He had such a depth of understanding that I continually felt inclined to believe that his wisdom was scarc ...more
Jeff Stockett
Mar 27, 2011 Jeff Stockett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religous
This book was amazing. It really makes it possible to get to know who Joseph was. It starts out with many of his letters that he wrote as he was trying to direct the growth of the church in multiple cities. Just like the New Testament, doctrine was expounded as he tried to curb problems in the church.

As the book goes on it gets into some of the sermons that he gave. It includes some of his more well known sermons such as the King Follett discourse. It also includes some lesser well known sermons
Joe Hunt
This is one of my favorite books ever.

J.S. was really a genius. You can't read this without thinking that. Especially towards the end.

He definitely got more powerful towards the end.

Some of his sayings are pure gold. (And he's funny, too!--which some people don't think about.)

The thing I like about him is that he's really specific and detailed. (Like my dad said one time about watching "The Dukes of Hazard." "You watch it for five minutes, and you'll see something you've never seen before on tv.
John Robertson
Jun 28, 2013 John Robertson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book as a gift from my parents 22 years ago and it has been the best birthday gift anyone ever gave me, period. If you are looking for a summary of LDS doctrine, this is not the right book. It was compiled for an audience that was presumed to already be quite familiar with the Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price and Doctrine and Covenants in their entirety.

However, if you are familiar with those this book is astonishing in its sheer doctrinal power. I like to use the phrase "post ca
Sally
Feb 20, 2008 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology, non-fiction, own
I took an Institute class on Lectures on Faith and "other documents of scriptural stature." LOVED IT. The other documents included: The King Follett discourse, the Sermon in the Grove, the Origin of Man, Doctrinal Exposition on the Father and the Son, the Wentworth Letter, and the Family Proclamation. All wonderful. The Follett discourse and Sermon in the Grove are both in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith (TPJS), I believe. Origin of Man is a 1st Presidency statement from ????. Doctrinal Ex ...more
Evelyn
Jul 12, 2012 Evelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my best loved books.
Daryl
Feb 18, 2017 Daryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. I learned so much. I will for sure be reading this again. I highly recommend.
Heather
Dec 28, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
Good book. It's great to study the revelations and teachings of the prophet Joseph Smith. :) Here are a couple of my favorite quotes:

"Let the saints remember that great things depend on their individual exertion, and that they are called to be co-workers with us and the Holy Spirit in accomplishing the great work of the last days; and in consideration of the extent, the blessings and glories of the same, let every selfish feeling be not only buried, but annihilated; and let love to God and man p
Bonnie Atkinson
Jun 09, 2011 Bonnie Atkinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this every couple of years, and recently reread it. While I love having such a well-preserved canon of a life that was not as well-documented as historians in our modern era might like, I do sometimes wish there were more commentary on sources of texts included.

For instance, I only recently discovered that the text for the King Follett Sermon was synthesized from the records of four different diarists. I think many people assume that the words as printed are the words as delivered (as mos
Jake
Jun 15, 2009 Jake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
This is a great resource for people wanting to delve deeper than the prestine/pleasing Sunday School portrait of Joseph Smith. It also raises him above the equally misleading status as an illiterate charlatan. This compilation is neither exhaustive nor unbiased, in as much as it was assembled carefully by one of his successors in LDS Church leadership. Regardless, it's a resource, worth perusal by both devout and skeptical readers. I'm the latter in case it isn't apparent.

A closer reading of Jos
Shawn Birss
Jun 17, 2015 Shawn Birss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is terrible, because it is used as a tool of oppression and abuse.

However, that it is a foundation ally flawed, even ludicrously fantastical, and baldly sexist, racist, and abusive is so obvious to any discerning reader that I would recommend it as the third book to read (after Pearl of Great Price and Doctrine and Covenants) for anyone interested in getting a good, clear conviction for all the reasons why the Mormon church is a dangerous and deceptive cult.

I read this book after Pea
Richard
May 11, 2013 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds-literature
I thought the book was well compiled by President Joseph Fielding Smith. The Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith were deep and you can tell that he continually pondered the word of God. I came to find that Joseph Smith taught more from the Bible than the Book of Mormon. Nevertheless, he emphasized the need to read the Book of Mormon.
The King Follett discourse was a delicious sermon given from the Prophet, at his best. The ending documentations of the events in Carthage Jail were important. I h
Eric Parker
Sep 08, 2016 Eric Parker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of teachings from the prophet. Very good.
Alex Kennedy
Feb 10, 2009 Alex Kennedy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is my favorite book outside of the holy scriptures. The revelations received by Joseph Smith from Jesus Christ have had incredible meaning for my life and have caused me great joy, peace, and reflection. I've read this book 3-4 times, and have used it as a reference many times. I enjoyed reading it in Portuguese when I was serving a religious mission in Brazil. I love Joseph Smith Jr. What faith! What integrity! What perseverance! What righteousness! What a revolutionary thinker! What a man ...more
Greg
Aug 10, 2008 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of the stements and teachings of Joseph Smith, founding President and Prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Thought requiring a serious study of the doctrines of the gospel, TOPJF is well worth the time and energy to plow through it and ponder on the teachings therein. Much of my own foundational knowledge of the gospel came as I read this volume in my twenties, and I have tried to build on that foundation ever since. Highly recommended.
Aleta
Nov 09, 2016 Aleta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I kept in the bathroom and read it in small segments, which works well, as that's how its written. It was good to read a section, then ponder about it, sometimes re-reading the same sections over a few times. It is a great companion book to reading the Doctrine and Covenants, and some things are in both books. It adds context to Joseph's life and helped me to hear his voice more than I do in the scriptures, because they are so familiar to me. I'm glad I read it.
Clint
Jan 02, 2013 Clint rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this while serving a Mormon mission in Norway. It was life-changing for me--almost as much as The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ. This book marked the beginning of my love for the history of the LDS Church.
Todd C
Oct 13, 2007 Todd C rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religiousbooks
I think that this is the best compilation of the Prophet's teachings. There is a full index in the back with almost any topic you can think of. This is a great resource for anyone wanting to learn how many of the principles of the Church were revealed. Very good!
Debbie
Feb 20, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith" is a fascinating read as it covers the many teachings of Joseph Smith in his own words. Some of the writings are a little difficult to understand, but most are clear and very accessible. I highly recommend this book!!!
Tiffany
Aug 02, 2007 Tiffany marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
whenever I listen to a talk and a quote from a book is mentioned, more likely then not it's from this book. It obviously, therefor, has some good information in it. And if it's so good that prophets and seers and revelators are quoting from it, then I should read it as well. :)
Ruth Ann
Jun 08, 2011 Ruth Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mom gave this to me for Mothers Day and WOW! These teachings are always quoted by general authorities and in church curriculum. I will love having this around just to look up stuff as I prepare lessons or talks.
Rebecca
Mar 07, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, church-books, 2013
I've read most of this while studying the scriptures. I just wish it was organized differently. It's hard to access things that you want to remember without remembering a page number. Also I wish they had the scripture references. Doctrinally, it was 5 stars though!
Brandon
Feb 12, 2016 Brandon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful look into the life of Joseph Smith through his teachings. The teachings are presented chronologically, which gave great insights into the development of the LDS church and the growth of Joseph Smith as a man and a prophet.
Derek
Dec 10, 2008 Derek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
you can't really ever stop reading this book. he has excerpts on different gospel subjects and so whichever subject your studying you go to that point in this book. it is an awesome companion to read alongside the scriptures.
Alison
Jun 05, 2011 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nothing short of Brilliant! What I loved most about this collection is that these teachings supersede boundaries of time, labels of religion, and philosophies of men. These are truths eternal which provide knowledge to empower and motivate our true identity as children of God.
Mark
This book established my appreciation and love for this great man, then solidified and enhanced these upon repeated reading and study. I know that Joseph Smith is truly a prophet, called personally by a living God the Father and His living Only-Begotten, Beloved Son Jesus Christ.
Jeff
Dec 01, 2013 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful addendum to the actual revelations the Prophet Joseph Smith received.I especially liked the teachings on the Spirit and receiving personal revelation and inspiration for ourselves. This also contains the famous King Follet discourse.
Shauna
Aug 22, 2008 Shauna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even for dyed-in-the-wool LDS this book can be challenging. Direct quotes from Joseph Smith that would cause controversy even today are extant and reveal an early nineteenth century rhetorical style one can easily call abrasive. What can I say, I LOVED IT.
Roseanne
Sep 24, 2008 Roseanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good long term borrow from Tyler...
Danny
Feb 25, 2008 Danny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds-religious
I am glad I had this with me on my mission. It really helped solidfy for me why I believe that Joseph Smith is a prophet.
Racism in the Mormon Church? 2 22 May 15, 2014 12:27PM
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Joseph Smith the Prophet
  • The Great Apostasy
  • Gospel Doctrine: Sermons and Writings of President Joseph F. Smith (Classics in Mormon Literature)
  • Doctrines of Salvation. Complete Three-Volume Work [3-in-1]. Sermons & Writings of Joseph Fielding Smith.
  • Promised Messiah: The First Coming of Christ
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph F. Smith
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Christ and the New Covenant: The Messianic Message of the Book of Mormon
  • Approaching Zion (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 9)
  • Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt (Revised and Enhanced)
  • Not My Will, but Thine
  • Truth Restored
Joseph Fielding Smith, Jr. was the tenth president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) from 1970 until his death. He was the son of Joseph F. Smith, who was the sixth president of the LDS Church. His grandfather was Hyrum Smith, brother of LDS Church founder Joseph Smith, Jr., who was Joseph Fielding's great-uncle.
More about Joseph Fielding Smith...

“I don't blame any one for not believing my history. If I had not experienced what I have, I could not have believed it myself.” 6 likes
“A man is saved no faster than he gets knowledge, for if he does not get knowledge, he will be brought into captivity by some evil power in the other world, as evil spirits will have more knowledge, and consequently more power than many men who are on the earth. Hence it needs revelation to assist us, and give us knowledge of the things of God.” 5 likes