Mentally Incontinent: That Time I Burned Down a Hooters, That Time My Stalker Crashed on My Couch, and Nine Other Stories from My Weird Life

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Cyberspace's answer to David Sedaris: raucous recollections from a man with a serious blabber-control problem
Joe Peacock is one of those rare people to whom interesting things just sorta happen. For the amusement of his friends, he'd often recount in long e-mails his latest misadventure, whether it was witnessing an armed robbery or being vomited on during his first sexu...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2005)

Tiffany
Joe Peacock (p.s. worst name ever) probably surrounded himself with people that said "Joe! Dude, you need to write about book about all the weird things that have happened to you!" not considering that there are other people in the world -- ok, in this country, even, that most definitely have had weirder things happen to them. In fact, I guarantee ever single reader of Mentally Incontinent has said aloud, "If this guy thinks he's got problems, then he should look at my life, because..."

He talks...more
Spoonbridge
I was surfing my favorite internet waste of time, StumbleUpon, the other day when a rather old school website popped up, circa 2005 or something. I was going to skip right through it when the name of the article caught my eye; The Wal-Mart Story, an account of minimum wage vengeance and Black Friday mayhem. It turned out to be a nostalgic and hilarious account of late ‘90s suburban life written by a man named Joe Peacock, who apparently has since become pretty big online and even has his own boo...more
Jenni V.
3.5 stars rounded down.

I didn't know anything about Joe or the website when I saw this at the library, but I enjoy short stories and that was enough for this random reader to give it a try. He's an engaging, interesting writer. Most of the stories were about stupid things he's done, and I liked them in the "wow, I'm glad I don't have to deal with him in real life" kind of way. But the last story ("The Walmart Story") made me cringe - it involved humiliatio...more
Driftless
He's not the kind of guy I expect to be a writer. He barely finished a year of college, screwed around through most of high school and spends most of his time playing video games and getting tattoos. But about ten years ago Joe Peacock started writing on the internet and developed quite a following on his website, mentallyincontinent.com. This success eventually landed him a real book deal with a real publisher and Mentally Incontinent, the book, was born. Defying the odds, Joe Peacock is offici...more
Joellen
Where to start. I like a good laugh, who doesn't? i started into this read with that in mind, something silly, a bit off the wall, and enjoyable. It's a light read, only 160 pages, and it has taken me weeks to slog through 100 pages. I literally put this book down for a month and didn't pick it up. But I can't start a book until I finish the one I'm on. So i made myself finish, by skimming, the last 60 pages. I just couldn't. The humor, after a while, was just repeated. It's all the same type of...more
Dec 15, 2009 Jennifer rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Someone not expecting hilarious
This one was a disappointment, only because it was supposed to be funny. The stories were well-written and touching, but not really funny. The title, and subtitle, (and way off introduction) hype you up to read the craziest stories ever. Not even close.
I have experienced WAY crazier things than this guy, and comparatively, feel like I could write "funny" in my sleep.
Quick and easy, though.
Jonathan Burt
Joe is supposed to be funny. Joe was my next door neighbor when he was a kid. Now that he is rich and famous, he won't give me money - how funny is that?

Really, this collection of stories, voted the -best of- by his devoted blog readers is a great read and I would have rated it the same regardless. A lot of strange stuff happens to some people, and Joe is one of those people!
Sarah Phoenix
Contrary to the press blurb, this man is no David Sedaris. In face, a local writer I adore and envy (yes, Christa, this is you) can write this man under the train with one hand tied behind her back. The potential for entertainment can be seen but is elusively just out of reach. Okay, Christa, if this doesn't prove that I'm right about your book potential nothing else ever will!
Shannon Dooley
This book was absolutely hilarious. I couldn't put it down. I was going to try and make it last me at least a couple days and I ended up finishing it in a day. The author, Joe Peacock, is a comedic genius! I cant wait to read other things he has written!
Anna
I think it's safe to say that no book could possible live up to that delightful title, but this one comes pretty darn close. It was also absolutely what I needed at the end of a particularly dreadful day. Why, I dare say I even chuckled...Like snark? Then this one's for you!
Heidi
Wasn't as funny as I thought it was going to be, but a very cute book about the mishaps that teenage and young adult boys can get into. Including, stalker girlfriends, setting Hooter's on fire, and other such adventures. Quick light read.
Marcos Carvalho
Don't pick up this book unless you're under the age of 25. And 25 is pushing it.

After about 60 pages I put it down. I got tired of feeling like I was hanging out with teenagers and hearing their pointless stories.
Pam
Light humorous memoir of countless horrible things happening to one guy. Good mindless read. The author has a good flow to his writing. Would have given 3.5, but it won't let me. :)
Amanda
Freaking hilarious! Reminded me of "I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell" type of stories. Made me literally laugh out loud, while Travis sat by watching me like I'm crazy..
beentsy
I really wanted this to be funnier, but it just didn't tickle my funny bone much at all. Oh well, maybe it's just me.
Andrew
Some parts of this book were funny, but most of it was the juvenile memoir of a teenage slacker/hacker.
Martha Grace
I think Joe was writing for someone else than me -- I quit about half was through.
AzDoodle
Funny stories but I don't suggest reading this if you are the parent of a teenage son.
Rob Rausch
Really not very obnoxious or scandalous as all. A poor man's Tucker Max.
Will
Short read that is fun. Not great writing, but made me laugh through-out
Juli
Lighthearted and entertaining, great reading for travel.
Paul Werner
very funny stories. short stories good to read for fun
Alma Karamešić-kelley
Very fun read. Joe is hilarious!
Dena
Loved it! Kept me laughing!
Scott
Scott added it
Mar 28, 2014
Mentally Incontinent Mentally Incontinent: That Time I Set a Hooters on Fire, That Time My Stalker Stayed at My House, and Nine Other Stories from My Unlucky Life Everyone Deserves To Know What I Think: Collected Writings, 2003 - 2013 Everyone Deserves To Know What I Think For Her Here