Start by marking “Ten Nights' Dreams” as Want to Read:
Ten Nights' Dreams

Ten Nights' Dreams

This collection of ten connected stories or dreams has a surrealistic atmosphere. Some are weird, others are grotesquely funny. Among the ten nights, the first, second, third, and fifth nights start with the same sentence "This is the dream I dreamed." Whether Sosecki actually had these dreams or whether they were complete fictions is not known.
Published June 8th 2000 by Trafford Publishing (first published 1908)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Nights' Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Nights' Dreams

Norwegian Wood by Haruki MurakamiThe Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki MurakamiKafka on the Shore by Haruki MurakamiBattle Royale by Koushun TakamiHard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami
Best Japanese Books
520 books — 2,446 voters
The Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisThe Sheltering Sky by Paul BowlesSix Easy Pieces by Richard FeynmanThe Poetry Of Surrealism by Michael  BenediktThe Ask by Sam Lipsyte
More Likely
42 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Florencia
Nov 16, 2015 Florencia rated it really liked it
Recommended to Florencia by: Pressure
The First Night
'The sun rises. And the sun sets. And the sun rises and sets... When the red sun rises in the east and sets in the west, then I will... Will you wait for me?'

The Second Night
'I cannot reach the state of nothingness.' Whenever I felt I was about to reach it, the pain seemed to become more intense, bringing me back. I felt anger. I felt regret. I felt deep chagrin at my failing attempt. Tears flowed from my eyes... But I remained sitting patiently. I had to endure this gut-rendi
Nick G
Jan 04, 2011 Nick G rated it it was ok
Intriguing, but not as much as I was looking for. Maybe I missed something - I hope I missed something - but I'm not sure.

I was so excited to find this book, couldn't wait for it to arrive from Amazon. I'm facinated by dreams. I feel dreams are one of the still-untapped frontiers of the human experience, and I love to incorporate vivid dreams into my own writing. I couldn't wait to see Soskei's approach, see what sort of creation resulted from dreaming and writing by him. I mean, I read he wa
Wayward Child
Oct 21, 2012 Wayward Child rated it really liked it
Very surreal and imaginative, but, above all, beautiful, even though there is a creeping feeling. I have to admit, I was scared while reading the dreams. It felt like reading a script of a horror movie.

Perhaps that was because I had had an argument with my mother just before I started reading this. And, the words in the first dream petrified me: "But, I am going to die, there is no way around it."

I quarreled with my mom because of that - because she is dying and accepting it. Don`t get me wrong,
Holmlock
Oct 04, 2015 Holmlock rated it liked it
Natsume Sōseki, documents a series of his dreams to share with the world. For the most part, these tales don't read as normal short stories. They read as exactly what they are, dreams, with all the surreality and absurdity of dreams. They're interesting enough to keep the pages turning, but one stands out above the rest and is what really makes this book worth a read. "The 3rd Night's Dream" is an unsettling tale in which the narrator carries on his back a blind child who seems to posses an unca ...more
Leir
Oct 14, 2011 Leir rated it really liked it
Shelves: japs
This is the good read I read.

A book was handed to me by a young man and a crow. I sat at my desk and read it with rapidity. Dream language filled my mind, sending it spinning in a furious and divine wind. It puzzled and challenged me. It reminded me of a plain prosed wake. A wake I'll have to finish again, as I will with this. There are riddles in this book. Riddles I have solved - others I have not.

I picked up my Havana hat - and discovered why.
Eadweard
My dreams are not this interesting.
Jee Koh
May 26, 2013 Jee Koh rated it really liked it
Natsume Soseki's Ten Nights' Dreams, translated by Takumi Kashima and Loretta R. Lorenz, comprises ten dreams written like very short stories. Or are they short stories that appear dreamlike? The strongest of them have the mysterious quality of dreams.

In "The Eighth Night," the narrator-dreamer at a barber shop could see people passing by the lattice-window reflected in the mirror in front of him. When he turned around, however, to see a woman counting her yen, she could not be seen. After he pa
General H. Sassafras
I've always been a fan of Japanese literature - it always has a darker, depressing level in even the most light-hearted, jaunty stories.

Souseki Natsume is one of the more famous Japanese authors, with more of a nostalgic feel as though we would think of (if you can stand him) Hemingway or J.D. Salinger - a classic author who most people love with good reason.

These all have a subtle undertone of depression and angst - partly because Souseki himself was plagued by chronic depression throughout his
Serdar
Jan 13, 2012 Serdar rated it really liked it
I just reread this in preparation for a project that I've been doing about a number of the author's other works. it's an unusual piece of work for Natsume in big part because he was not a writer who generally lend himself to bouts of surrealism or flights of fantasy. whenever things like that appeared in his works, they were always momentary and passing, and they were more about adorning the text that he was composing instead of being a primary component of it. But the one thing that comes throu ...more
Pari
Sep 28, 2015 Pari rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I received a free e-copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I didn’t know what to expect. I have always loved anthologies and this might be my favourite.
Japan is such a wonderful country. The tradition, culture, systems are so different from ours (Indian) yet so similar. It was so fascinating to read about them.
My dreams are not this vivid or interesting. No one ones if they are dreams or fiction, but they were awesome.
Some of my favourites were the Second Night, Third, Fourth, Fift
Hikikomori
Hikikomori rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2015
رناتا
Jun 16, 2013 رناتا rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Muy distinto de lo que había leído de Soseki, y por ello muy distinto de lo que me esperaba, pero aún así son 10 joyas de relatos breves. Además, la edición es pequeñita y contiene una introducción en la que se nos explica la vida del autor y su impacto en la literatura japonesa. Muy bonito libro.
G.
Dec 15, 2016 G. rated it liked it
3.5/5
Praj
Apr 09, 2010 Praj rated it really liked it
Shelves: ns, にほん
A swift read and intensely transfixing while trying to decipher Soseki’s dreams.
Mynt Gbm
ฝันสวนใหญไมมีตอนจบ ซึงกเปนเรืองปกติสำหรับความฝัน
อาจจะเปนเพราะความขาดแคลนเรืองความรูทักษะการตีความของตัวผูอานเองจึงทำใหเกิดความสงสัยในบางเรืองวาสัญลักษณหรือวัตถุประสงคของเรืองนีคืออะไร
แตโดยรวมแลวกยังใหความบันเทิงและแผเสนหของความเปนนวนิยายญีปุนอยู
Mari
Ovo delo sadrži deset nadrealnih priča u obliku snova u kojima se dešavaju natprirodni i fantastični događaji. Vreme, prostor i likovi se razlikuju od sna do sna. Pripovedač (najverovatnije sam Natsume, ali ne želim da nagađam) se u njima pojavljuje kao glavni lik, narator i slušalac. Jezik kojim se pisac služi je jednostavan, ali sasvim dobro prenosi poruku. Glavni motivi ovog dela su život, smrt, ljubav, modernizacija i ukrštanje Istoka i Zapada.
Život i smrt su sveprisutni i ne idu jedno bez d
Hiro
Oct 01, 2016 Hiro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Tells you the complex feelings after Japan started importing western style in 1900.
Because there are a lot of figurative representations it's hard to learn what Soseki is really thinking, but when you find out it tells you a lot more than you think.
A book that tells you what happened and how people felt after the samurai ages.
Mandy
Aug 18, 2015 Mandy rated it it was ok
I feel some knowledge of Japanese culture and literature is a prerequisite to appreciate this small book – and even then it’s not immediately accessible. A man has 10 dreams. He recounts them in detail. Now, other people’s dreams are often pretty boring for the listener, and although I admit that these are more interesting than most, nevertheless I really wasn’t very taken by them. There’s a trailer of a film based on them available on YouTube. It didn’t really help me get to grips with them. At ...more
Topu Apple
เมือคืนผมฝัน

ตนเองไดเขาไปในงานเลียง เปนงานออกรานจำหนายสินคาทีเกียวของกับดะไซโอซามุ ของหลายชินนาสนใจมาก แตผมไมมีเงินพอ ผมจึงรวมมือกับพรรคพวกซึงไมรูเหมือนกันวาพวกไหน ทำลายงานนันซะ ทำลายทุกสิงทุกอยางทีเกียวกับดะไซ หนังสือ ครอบครัว นองสาว สุดทายผมตืน และจำเรืองราวไดเพียงเลือนราง ไมแนใจวาทำไมในฝันจึงตัดสินใจทำอยางนัน แตชางมันเถอะ ไมนานกลืม

ปลอยใหความฝันมันเปนเรืองไรเหตุผลอยางนีตอไปเถอะนะ เพราะถาเปนไปไดคืนนีผมอยากทิงตัวตนแลวกลายเปนหนึงในตัวละครของนัทสึเมะ โลดแลนในฝันราตรีทีสิบเอดของเคาอีกสักพัก

ความฝันเป
Leyre
Jan 11, 2008 Leyre rated it liked it
Recommends it for: to anybody who is interested in Japan and fantasy
This collection of short stories is easily read and very entertaining. However, simple as the stories may seem, they should be read with a more inquisitive mind, asking yourself why Soseki chose to write those dreams as he did, instead of something different. Some of them have a meaning that can be grasped intuitively without knowing much about Japanese history thanks to the clues he gives us inside the story, and other, thanks to the editor's notes.
Meredith
Sep 19, 2007 Meredith rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any fan of Japanese Lit
Shelves: best-loved-books
I read some of this book in the original Japanese which changes the feeling, but it's still a great collection of short stories on the nature of dreams. Soseki is a classic author in Japan, a national treasure, but this collection is often overlooked. It's not to be missed by Soseki fans, or general fans of Japanese Literature.
Pamai Duantemdoung
Jul 08, 2016 Pamai Duantemdoung rated it really liked it
Pretty good! I'm not used to this kind of book but as for the first time, this make me addicted! A line between imaginary and reality shows the truth of human being, desire, commitment, and Meiji era. I recommend this book for everyone who like eastern literature ;)
Brent
Mar 30, 2010 Brent rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
I read this book a while back, and it's one of my most memorable reads to date. The stories within are almost fable-like, and have a poetic flow that make you go back to them over and over again to make sure you didn't miss anything. I really have to thank the person who recommended this to me.
Arigemu
Feb 29, 2016 Arigemu rated it liked it
Su estilo es especial. Breves pero llenos de hermosura. El primer cuento fue mi favorito. Los otros quizás eran demasiado "oníricos" para mi gusto, pero no dejaban de tener belleza en las figuras literarias y las ideas que transmitían.
Capsguy
May 14, 2011 Capsguy rated it really liked it
Shelves: japan
Satisfying unrelated short stories of the dreams of an unexplained individual with surreal elements evident. Worth the thirty minutes or so it takes to read.
Farisa
Feb 14, 2013 Farisa rated it liked it
One word to describe: weird.
WolfMama
Jul 20, 2016 WolfMama rated it really liked it
The seven night...
mika
Apr 10, 2007 mika rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic, japan
yume juuya - try to find audio files. so damn good.
Joni
Dec 30, 2011 Joni rated it liked it
Ten surreal dreams, verbatim as they were dreamed by a beautiful mind. Hoardes of pigs and paper lanterns. Daggers in the moonlit forest. A short collection, but a nice way to get to know a guy.
Feinmann
Racconti di sogni, o sogni tradotti in racconto. Valutazione legata alla traduzione italiana, la sensazione è che produca effetti nel lettore lontani da quelli della versione originale.
  • The Cape and Other Stories from the Japanese Ghetto
  • Hojoki: Visions of a Torn World
  • A Cat, a Man, and Two Women
  • The Paper Door and Other Stories
  • One Hundred Leaves: A new annotated translation of the Hyakunin Isshu
  • The Oxford Book of Japanese Short Stories
  • Somersault
  • As I Crossed a Bridge of Dreams: Recollections of a Woman in Eleventh-Century Japan
  • The Broken Commandment
  • The Setting Sun
  • The Word Book
  • When I Whistle
  • Rashomon and Other Stories

“Có lần tôi đã túm lấy một người thủy thủ mà hỏi anh ta rằng:
-Tàu này đi về hướng tây phải không ?
Người thủy thủ lấy làm lạ nhìn tôi với vẻ mặt ngơ ngác hồi lâu rồi hỏi lại :
-Tại sao ?
-Vì có vẻ như là nó đuổi theo mặt trời lặn. Người thủy thủ bật cười thành tiếng, rồi bỏ đi mất. Có tiếng hò hát:
Ngày đi về phương Tây
Tận cùng là Đông chăng ?
Có phải thật thế không?
Ngày đi về phương Đông
Quê có phải phương Tây?
Có phải thật thế không?
Gửi mình trên sóng nước
Trôi, trôi đi, trôi đi.”
0 likes