Start by marking “Ten Nights' Dreams” as Want to Read:
Ten Nights' Dreams

Ten Nights' Dreams

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  271 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This collection of ten connected stories or dreams has a surrealistic atmosphere. Some are weird, others are grotesquely funny. Among the ten nights, the first, second, third, and fifth nights start with the same sentence "This is the dream I dreamed." Whether Sosecki actually had these dreams or whether they were complete fictions is not known.
Published June 8th 2000 by Trafford Publishing (first published 1908)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Nights' Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Nights' Dreams

Norwegian Wood by Haruki MurakamiThe Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki MurakamiKafka on the Shore by Haruki MurakamiBattle Royale by Koushun TakamiHard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami
Best Japanese Books
109th out of 462 books — 2,058 voters
The Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisThe Sheltering Sky by Paul BowlesSix Easy Pieces by Richard FeynmanThe Poetry Of Surrealism by Michael  BenediktThe Ask by Sam Lipsyte
More Likely
36th out of 42 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Nick G
Intriguing, but not as much as I was looking for. Maybe I missed something - I hope I missed something - but I'm not sure.

I was so excited to find this book, couldn't wait for it to arrive from Amazon. I'm facinated by dreams. I feel dreams are one of the still-untapped frontiers of the human experience, and I love to incorporate vivid dreams into my own writing. I couldn't wait to see Soskei's approach, see what sort of creation resulted from dreaming and writing by him. I mean, I read he wa
Ana Luković
Very surreal and imaginative, but, above all, beautiful, even though there is a creeping feeling. I have to admit, I was scared while reading the dreams. It felt like reading a script of a horror movie.

Perhaps that was because I had had an argument with my mother just before I started reading this. And, the words in the first dream petrified me: "But, I am going to die, there is no way around it."

I quarreled with my mom because of that - because she is dying and accepting it. Don`t get me wrong,
Leir
Oct 14, 2011 Leir rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: japs
This is the good read I read.

A book was handed to me by a young man and a crow. I sat at my desk and read it with rapidity. Dream language filled my mind, sending it spinning in a furious and divine wind. It puzzled and challenged me. It reminded me of a plain prosed wake. A wake I'll have to finish again, as I will with this. There are riddles in this book. Riddles I have solved - others I have not.

I picked up my Havana hat - and discovered why.
Jee Koh
Natsume Soseki's Ten Nights' Dreams, translated by Takumi Kashima and Loretta R. Lorenz, comprises ten dreams written like very short stories. Or are they short stories that appear dreamlike? The strongest of them have the mysterious quality of dreams.

In "The Eighth Night," the narrator-dreamer at a barber shop could see people passing by the lattice-window reflected in the mirror in front of him. When he turned around, however, to see a woman counting her yen, she could not be seen. After he pa
General H. Sassafras
I've always been a fan of Japanese literature - it always has a darker, depressing level in even the most light-hearted, jaunty stories.

Souseki Natsume is one of the more famous Japanese authors, with more of a nostalgic feel as though we would think of (if you can stand him) Hemingway or J.D. Salinger - a classic author who most people love with good reason.

These all have a subtle undertone of depression and angst - partly because Souseki himself was plagued by chronic depression throughout his
Mandy
I feel some knowledge of Japanese culture and literature is a prerequisite to appreciate this small book – and even then it’s not immediately accessible. A man has 10 dreams. He recounts them in detail. Now, other people’s dreams are often pretty boring for the listener, and although I admit that these are more interesting than most, nevertheless I really wasn’t very taken by them. There’s a trailer of a film based on them available on YouTube. It didn’t really help me get to grips with them. At ...more
Praj
A swift read and intensely transfixing while trying to decipher Soseki’s dreams.
Mari
Ovo delo sadrži deset nadrealnih priča u obliku snova u kojima se dešavaju natprirodni i fantastični događaji. Vreme, prostor i likovi se razlikuju od sna do sna. Pripovedač (najverovatnije sam Natsume, ali ne želim da nagađam) se u njima pojavljuje kao glavni lik, narator i slušalac. Jezik kojim se pisac služi je jednostavan, ali sasvim dobro prenosi poruku. Glavni motivi ovog dela su život, smrt, ljubav, modernizacija i ukrštanje Istoka i Zapada.
Život i smrt su sveprisutni i ne idu jedno bez d
Hikikomori
Tôi đọc tác phẩm này qua bản dịch "Mười giấc chiêm bao" của Quỳnh Chi. Ngoài ra thì còn có một bản dịch khác là "Mười đêm mộng mị", chẳng nhớ là của ai dịch nữa, đại để là bản đó giọng văn có vẻ gì hơi... cổ! Tôi thích bản của Quỳnh Chi hơn, câu cú trơn tru, sắc gọn, làm bật được không khí rờn rợn, thần bí.
Leyre
Jan 14, 2008 Leyre rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: to anybody who is interested in Japan and fantasy
This collection of short stories is easily read and very entertaining. However, simple as the stories may seem, they should be read with a more inquisitive mind, asking yourself why Soseki chose to write those dreams as he did, instead of something different. Some of them have a meaning that can be grasped intuitively without knowing much about Japanese history thanks to the clues he gives us inside the story, and other, thanks to the editor's notes.
Meredith
Sep 19, 2007 Meredith rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any fan of Japanese Lit
Shelves: best-loved-books
I read some of this book in the original Japanese which changes the feeling, but it's still a great collection of short stories on the nature of dreams. Soseki is a classic author in Japan, a national treasure, but this collection is often overlooked. It's not to be missed by Soseki fans, or general fans of Japanese Literature.
Brent
I read this book a while back, and it's one of my most memorable reads to date. The stories within are almost fable-like, and have a poetic flow that make you go back to them over and over again to make sure you didn't miss anything. I really have to thank the person who recommended this to me.
Art
Ten surreal dreams, verbatim as they were dreamed by a beautiful mind. Hoardes of pigs and paper lanterns. Daggers in the moonlit forest. A short collection, but a nice way to get to know a guy.
Capsguy
Satisfying unrelated short stories of the dreams of an unexplained individual with surreal elements evident. Worth the thirty minutes or so it takes to read.
Jeffrey
In some ways, this book, with its interest in dreams and alternative states of being, represents a forerunner of surrealist literature.
mika
yume juuya - try to find audio files. so damn good.
Farisa
One word to describe: weird.
Martina
Martina marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Maria
Maria added it
Aug 24, 2015
Iryna Kotsiubynska
Iryna Kotsiubynska marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Milly
Milly marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Ryan Goodenough
Ryan Goodenough marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Shuji Kuroda
Shuji Kuroda marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Matteo Marini
Matteo Marini marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Bill Johnston
Bill Johnston marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Paulette
Paulette marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Naomi
Naomi added it
Aug 05, 2015
Joel La
Joel La marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Vijay
Vijay marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
  • The Oxford Book of Japanese Short Stories
  • Five Women Who Loved Love: Amorous Tales from 17th-Century Japan
  • The Setting Sun
  • Death in Midsummer and Other Stories
  • As I Crossed a Bridge of Dreams: Recollections of a Woman in Eleventh-Century Japan
  • The Waiting Years
  • The Word Book
  • Somersault
  • The Ark Sakura
  • The Wild Geese
  • Tales of Moonlight and Rain
  • Rashomon and Other Stories
  • Anthology of Japanese Literature: From the Earliest Era to the Mid-Nineteenth Century
Kokoro I Am a Cat Botchan Sanshirō The Three-Cornered World