Last To Die (Jack Swyteck, #3)

Last To Die (Jack Swyteck #3)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  788 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Dangle $46 million in front of six people and tell them the last one standing gets it all. From that shopworn yet undeniably tantalizing premise springs Grippando's latest thriller starring Miami attorney Jack Swyteck. The big pot of money comes from wealthy divorcee Sally Fenning, who leaves an enormous estate following her murder. Not only is her death suspicious, the te...more
Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Published June 29th 2004 by Harper (first published 2003)

L
Dec 22, 2008 L rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
I love it when the authors of "murder & mayhen" mysteries include some social issues--it reduces my guilt for reading and thoroughly enjoying my "trashy novels." In this case, Grippando brings in child slavery in the chocolate industry and mentions the FL tomato pickers. Without overdoing it for those who just want a quick read, Grippando gives a solid view of life and hardship among some of Africa's most disadvantaged.

Of course, there is the matter of the novel itself. Grippando has written...more
Cindy Barnett
Very interesting plot & people & info on child slavery. The Lane character reminded me of my U.S. Marine Corps dad when narrator described his using the "F" bomb as a noun, adjective, adverb, etc. though none of the tirade was narrated beyond that description. No sex, some cussing. I've read this author before & will again.
Carol
I love a good legal thriller with twists along the way, and this was it!
Rajeev Roshan
A divorced lady who daughter is murdered five years ago contacted a contract killer in a bar. She wants his professional services. Contract killer asked her to whom she wanted to kill. She told the contract killer that she wanted to kill herself. After some days the lady was killed at red light on road in daylight. Some days later contract killer elder brother contacted a lawyer who wants to represent his brother. Once the same lawyer saved Contract Killer Elder brother life from death Row. The...more
Joanne
This book is reasonably suspenseful and interesting. Young wife and mother is attacked in her own home, and the attacker kills her 4 year old daughter, but allows her to live. Her marriage falls apart, but she remarries a wealthy older man. That, too, turns out horribly when she discovers he makes his money by trafficking in slave labor to harvest cacoa beans. He also passes along AIDS to his new wife. She decides to end her life by hiring a hit man to take it, but not before setting up a will t...more
Betty
The third entry in Grippando's Jack Swyteck series is a fast-paced legal thriller. The author continues to add nuance to his characters, especially some much needed background for Theo.

The mystery really worked for me. A beautiful woman with an incredibly tragic past dies, leaving a $46 million estate to six seemingly unrelated people who had, in some way, wronged her. The money is in trust and isn't shared by the six, but only passed to the last of them to die, setting them up in a survival gam...more
Henri Moreaux
The third book in the Jack Swyteck series is a strong entrant. It's got greed, deception, mystery, stalking, and a character haunted by their tragic past.

The tortured character is a woman whose daughter was murdered, unable to stand life anymore she attempts to hire a contract killer to murder her however she is turned down, only to still turn up dead two weeks later.

At the reading of her will six people who made her life difficult are named in her will, all beneficiaries to 46 million dollars.....more
Sharon
The best part of this thriller was the plot; a beatiful young woman was found shot dead in her Mercedes...it seemed she had moved on from her struggling waitress days when she was brutally attacked and her young daughter killed in their own home. Having divorced and then remarried a wealthy foreign man, she left a will distributing $48 million--but the potential heirs (including a hired killer, her ex-husband, a newspaper reporter) start dying off.

The payoff (to the story!)was feasible and a lit...more
Jan
Loved it. Great story, great murder mystery, set in Florida in places I know.

A young Sally Fenning is murdered and leaves her millions to several folks.....but only to the one that survives. Obviously, they were not Sally's friends, so as one is bumped off after the other, who is the killer? Who killed her child, why was her child killed.

Love, mystery and friendship as criminal defense lawyer Jack Swytek trys to solve the mystery, and in doing so, becomes the target!

Actually, this was on the bo...more
Colette

Jack Swyteck's best buddy's brother is under suspicion for the murder of a woman that tried to hire him to kill her. After the woman is killed, at the reading of her will, it is disclosed that she has named 6 people that she had reason to hate, as beneficiaries but the stipulation is that only the last one standing will inherit her entire $46 million. One by one the six are killed, leaving Jack to investigate why these people were named and whether his client is innocent or the killer. In true G...more
Anne Cortez
What fun! Quick, airplane read. Liked the characters.
Missmath144
Too repetitious. Each character has to fill other characters in on what's going on, although the reader already knows that stuff. Synopsis: Woman is stabbed and her daughter killed. She divorces and remarries, this time to an extremely wealthy man. Her will leaves 46 million dollars to the last man alive, out of six people she hated.

I listed to this on CD. The reader Nick Sullivan has a nice deep voice, but it's difficult to listen to in the car; I have to keep turning the volume up and down. Hi...more
Susan
After her daughter was murdered, Sally Fenning could not regain any love of life even after marrying for major bucks and living the high life. So she hired someone to kill her and left $47 million to the survivor of a group of six strangers. This plot had promise but I'm afraid Grippando did not do it justice. I've liked his other stuff but this was just poorly developed and the story telling was plodding. I'm adding it to the database so I'll remember I did read it :)
BJ
This is the third Jack Swyteck novel, and I'm just not getting into this series. Although the plot is excellent in this one, James Grippando's dialogue does not ring true, and the constant delving into Jack's feelings and reasons for his behavior with flashback after flashback really makes the story drag. I will continue reading the series, hoping that Grippando's technical skills will soon equal his creativity. If so, he will be an outstanding novelist.
Dad4525
Another good book by this author.
Carol
Language! Sad story of greed and deception. A woman sets up her own murder by hiring a hit man. She, young, beautiful and very rich so why did she do it!! Her will leaves all her money, 46 million dollars to 6 people who can only inhereit when there is only 1 survior left and so the deaths begin. And the big reason is why did she choose these 6 people and all starts to come clear very quickly as they start dieing.
Ashland Mystery Oregon
My first James Grippando work, Last to Die, was a fast interesting legal thriller. Set in Miami's heat and political tensions, the work also reaches to Africa where it addresses child slavery on the cocoa plantations. Lots of twists and no way to predict the outcome of this complicated heir to the fortune plot.

--Ashland Mystery

Kathleen
I'm still not completely sold on Jack Swyteck - however this is the third novel I've read that stars him as the hero, so honestly, I must be at least a little bit sold. I don't like how the love interests and former girlfriends are all completely bat-poop crazy. It's a tiresome plot technique. But the puzzle was good - and that's what matters in a thriller.
Bruce
Nov 28, 2010 Bruce rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mmm
Interesting twist on the standard murder mystery. Rich woman with a troubled past is murdered, apparently by someone she hired to kill her. Her $46 million dollar estate is willed to six people she hated, but only one can inherit the money. Main character is a lawyer hired by one of the people listed in the will. Some bad language.
Ed Schmidt
A beautiful heiress is murdered. Swyteck's new client admits that she tried to hire him to kill her, but swears he didn't do it. The heiress left a will leaving $46 million to 6 people, including Swyteck's client. The catch is, only the last one living will collect. A lot of twists and turns and suspense.
Holly Morey
I really enjoyed this book and the premise was very interesting. A young wealthy woman wills all of her money to the sole survivor among her 6 enemies. I like the characters, Jack and Theo and I love their interactions and adventures. I can't wait to read the next one.
Gretchen
Interesting plot! Sadly, I could see such a thing happening...
Joe O'c
Excellent; Continuing character: Jack Swyteck; helping his friend's brother becomes a problem when he is included as one of a few who can qualify to inherit $46M by being last survivor
Vanitha
One of my favorite thrillers. An incredibly interesting premise with a sequence of events that unravels the story of a very sad woman's life through the eyes of a lawyer.
Beverly
It was my first book with this author so I didn't know what to expect. Well enough written but not all that exciting or intriguing. Characters needed more development.
Alice
I did not realize I had had already read this one...predated Goodreads. But it had been long enough I could not remember who did it! Enjoyed it again!
Dee
Another great book in the Jack Swyteck series .. Reading Grippando's novels is like watching a good movie ... hard to put it down. On to his next book ..
CLM
Aug 20, 2007 CLM rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kip
Shelves: suspense
When Sally Fenning is murdered, her six heirs are told that the last survivor will inherit the $46 million estate. But will anyone still be alive to inherit?
Joyce Cresswell-wargo
I really enjoyed this book. The story kept moving and I found it hard to put down. I didn't figure out who did it until the very end of the book.
Kristina
It started out good but i felt towards the end it was dragging too much it seemed like it could kept up the pace better.
  • Hoax
  • Blind Justice: A Novel of Suspense (Ben Kencaid, #2)
  • The Protégé (Christian Gillette, #2)
  • All Fall Down
  • The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)
  • Eleven Days
  • The Governor's Wife
  • Trial by Fire (Ali Reynolds, #5)
  • The Bone Chamber
  • Incriminating Evidence (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, #2)
  • The Jury (Paul Madriani, #6)
  • The Axeman's Jazz (Skip Langdon, #2)
  • The Program (Tim Rackley #2)
  • A Plague of Secrets (Dismas Hardy, #13)
  • Relics (Faye Longchamp, #2)
  • Act Of Terror (Jericho Quinn, #2)
  • Pretty Little Things
  • Miami, It's Murder (Britt Montero, #2)
James Grippando is the New York Times bestselling author of twenty novels of suspense, including 10 in the popular series featuring Miami criminal defense attorny Jack Swyteck. He is also the author of "Leapholes" for young adults. His novels are enjoyed worldwide in twenty-six languages. James was a trial lawyer for twelve years and is now Counsel to one of the nation's leading law firms. He live...more
More about James Grippando...
When Darkness Falls (Jack Swyteck, #6) The Pardon (Jack Swyteck, #1) Money To Burn Lying With Strangers Got The Look (Jack Swyteck, #5)