Start by marking “Cooking for Friends” as Want to Read:
Cooking for Friends

Cooking for Friends

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  543 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
In Cooking for Friends, award-winning chef, world-renowned restaurateur, bestselling author, and Hell’s Kitchen star Gordon Ramsey offers us more than100 exceptional recipes from his own family table. The holder of ten Michelin stars and ranked as one of the world’s most powerful celebrities by Forbes magazine in 2008, the sometimes intimidating Ramsey displays his softer ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by William Morrow Cookbooks (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Cooking for Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cooking for Friends

Jesse Smith
Jul 20, 2011 Jesse Smith rated it it was amazing
Awesome cook book its a mix of easy and difficult recipes mostly because some of the ingredients are a little tough to find sometimes but other than that its a great cookbook so glad I got it .....
Abbe
Sep 20, 2012 Abbe added it
Shelves: in-library
"As a chef, I work at a thousand miles an hour, but when I'm at home, I want to slow down." way from the high-octane energy of the professional kitchen, Gordon Ramsay makes meals at home that are more re-laxed, where cooking is fun and everyone gets involved in preparing food for family and friends. The way Gordon cooks here embodies his strongly held views: use in-season, fresh ingredients at their peak; support local producers and farmers' markets whenever possible; and celebrate the food cult ...more
Andy
Feb 25, 2013 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: good cooks and those with time on their hands
Shelves: cookbooks
I have slightly mixed feelings about this book (I think he has better ones out there). It's a slightly odd mix of simple and quite complex. A little too much for everyday use though I guess his intent is more the dinner party variety.

My other issue is that there are a few recipes where he forgets to mention when/how to use an ingredient - shortcrust pastry - where do the eggs go? Confusing the first time if you don't know what you're doing. Or, fillings are way too big for pastry cases. Still, a
Rachel
Feb 10, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
I was impressed with some of the recipes he added in here, such as the Goat Cheese, Beet, and Lentil Salad (with baked and marinated beets)and the Cider & Honey Roast Leg of Lamb (which looks supremely drool-worthy in the photo). His more everyday recipes looked awesome too. The cookbook was definitely British-inspired with the number of references to Branston Pickle, eels, Shepard's Pie, Homemade Bangers (sausages), and even Piccalili. Plus there is the types of recipes, such as shortcrust ...more
Ninja Neko
May 02, 2016 Ninja Neko rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I know what Gordon Ramsay looks like. I don't know what half the recipes in this book look like. Why was it necessary to have so many shots of Gordon, and so little pictures of the completed dishes? Very odd choice of editing. Also odd introduction where Gordon is bashing Delia Smith.
Based on text mostly I did bookmark some of the soups. A lot of the main dishes and desserts seemed very elaborate, not really my thing at the moment.
Kit
Oct 30, 2014 Kit rated it really liked it
Worth it for the hilariously uncomfortable-looking pictures of Ramsay alone, this cookbook has me itching to try some new things in the kitchen. Also, if you think Gordon is a jerk, you can kindly go do your research. :)
Jeanette Harris
Apr 06, 2016 Jeanette Harris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book; I think I this kind of book in regular book then kindle there some interesting recipes in this book
Chris
Mar 02, 2016 Chris rated it really liked it
Just finished; but keep referring back to it and like what I've read.
Amy Broome
May 17, 2014 Amy Broome rated it did not like it
We obviously don't have the same sort of friends.
Jeremy Noble
Jun 06, 2015 Jeremy Noble rated it really liked it
He's a good cook ... :))
Mckinley
Jul 22, 2014 Mckinley rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking, non-fiction
A couple to try. Will see.

Tried the coffee cake for getting together with some friends. It is very good both warmed up and room temp. We were a like disappointed in the consistency of the crumb topping and will tweak next time we make this. Yes, there will be a next time.

Now onto making a savory dish and seeing how that goes.

(Too many pictures of Gordon - could have been more of food!)
Elizabeth Elyse
Jun 19, 2010 Elizabeth Elyse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Gordon Ramsay ... what can I say, it's a cookbook. LOVED the recipes. Many I will probably not use but there are some great ones I have used others I plan to use plus it has his shepherds pie and some good ones for stock.! I was not keen on many of the photos but then I don't buy recipe books for the photos. This is good to have on hand as part of any kitchen.
Karen
Apr 07, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baking-cookbooks
Bought it on sale the day before yesterday, baked a cake from it the next day. That's a good sign. Recipes are main stream enough to actually make and feed your family, while each has a nice twist so that it satisfies your curiosity for making something special as well
Ayesha
Jul 10, 2013 Ayesha rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I rarely go to this cookbook for during-the-week cooking but that's okay because it is meant to be used for special occasions, i.e. when cooking for friends! I have tried several of the recipes to great success and find them clear and easy enough to follow.
Krystal Gooch
Dec 27, 2011 Krystal Gooch rated it really liked it
Gordon's recipes are a bit meaty for my liking, but interesting none the less. This book also features several editorial sections where he describes his home life, and cooking with his family, which I found particularly enjoyable.
Terri Jacobson
Jun 07, 2013 Terri Jacobson rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
An excellent cookbook from this famous TV personality and British chef. The recipes are interesting and quite doable for the home cook. The illustrations are mouth-watering. The narrative is lively. A very good all-round cookbook.
Pixie
Feb 02, 2012 Pixie rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, library
It was interesting reading a cookbook by Ramsay but unless you are into gormet cooking it's not really practical. Most of the recipes in the book were closer to fine dining than dinner with close friends.
Kerry
Feb 11, 2013 Kerry rated it did not like it
Shelves: food-and-fitness
Read. Finished 12/2/13. Most of the recipes are a little too abritish or gluten/lactose/sugar heavy for me. Lots of other options out there in Pinterest recipe world ;)
Ann Mah
Dec 21, 2010 Ann Mah rated it really liked it
Recipes are appealing (the fish pie is absolutely delicious) but, alas, many are too unhealthy to make everyday. Wish I still had the arteries of a 20-year-old!
Lori
Mar 27, 2013 Lori rated it it was amazing
I love the conversational intro to this cookbook. I'm captivated by the recipes esp the soup recipes. Planning to try a few of them next week!
Chrissie
Apr 23, 2013 Chrissie rated it really liked it
Only having the bbc to watch in English, Gordon and I spend a lot of time together. The least I could do is buy his book.
Pat
Jun 27, 2013 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lot's of good recipes to try. I liked the personal approach to the recipes - made it a more interesting cook book
Eve
Aug 23, 2013 Eve rated it it was amazing
I'm in love with Gordon Ramsay - I beg to be notified if he ever ask Tana for a divorce:)
Tonya
May 12, 2013 Tonya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pork roast was a huge hit! Wish it had more pics and stories around the food.
Yasmine Alfouzan
Oct 26, 2015 Yasmine Alfouzan rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, cookbooks
Not a huge fan of Gordon Ramsey but this is a lovely cookbook.
Elisabeth
Jun 18, 2013 Elisabeth rated it liked it
Enjoyable book, beautiful food, a little above my cooking expertise!
Omar
Omar rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
Richard Pham
Richard Pham marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Daniel Prasetyo
Daniel Prasetyo marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
  • Top Secret Recipes--Sodas, Smoothies, Spirits, & Shakes: Creating Cool Kitchen Clones of America's Favorite Brand-Name Drinks
  • A Book of Mediterranean Food
  • The 30-Minute Vegan's Taste of the East: 150 Asian-inspired recipes--from soba noodles to summer rolls
  • Quick & Easy Chinese: 70 Everyday Recipes
  • The 1,500-Calorie-A-Day Cookbook
  • The Dumpling: A Seasonal Guide
  • 101 Things to Do with Ramen Noodles
  • Lidia Cooks from the Heart of Italy: A Feast of 175 Regional Recipes
  • Skinny Italian: Eat It and Enjoy It - Live La Bella Vita and Look Great, Too!
  • Michael Symon's Live to Cook: Recipes and Techniques to Rock Your Kitchen
  • Patti Labelle's Lite Cuisine
  • Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads
  • Canning & Preserving for Dummies
  • Bobby Flay's Throwdown!: More Than 100 Recipes from Food Network's Ultimate Cooking Challenge
  • Tyler Florence's Real Kitchen: An Indespensible Guide for Anybody Who Likes to Cook
  • The Bartender's Bible: 1001 Mixed Drinks and Everything You Need to Know to Set Up Your Bar
  • Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook: A Master Baker's 300 Favorite Recipes for Perfect-Every-Time Bread-From Every Kind of Machine
  • Get Cooking: 150 Simple Recipes to Get You Started in the Kitchen
Gordon James Ramsay, OBE, is a British chef, television personality and restaurateur. He has been awarded a total of 16 Michelin Stars, and in 2001 became one of only three chefs in the United Kingdom to hold three Michelin stars at one time. Ramsay currently ranks 3rd in the world in terms of Michelin Stars behind Joël Robuchon and Alain Ducasse.

Ramsay is known for presenting TV programmes about
More about Gordon Ramsay...