Start by marking “The Hunt For Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hunt For Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1)

The Hunt For Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  8,018 ratings  ·  481 reviews
Archaeologist Nina Wilde can find long-lost Atlantis, helped by reclusive billionaire Kristian Frost, his beautiful daughter Kari, and ex-SAS bodyguard Eddie Chase. But a powerful and mysterious organization opposes revealing the secret submerged for 11,000 years. Others have already died — Nina’s own parents. From the streets of Manhattan, Brazilian jungle, Tibetan mounta ...more
Paperback, Bantam, 514 pages
Published 2007 by Random

To ask other readers questions about The Hunt For Atlantis, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
The Hunt for Atlantis is rip-roaring treasure hunting adventure that keeps the fans of this genre on their toes. Andy McDermott doesn't bother trying to be 'literary'. He just writes a fun book here. When a reader goes into this book, they should keep that in mind. McDermott also keeps the narrative and plot in service of his goal of providing an exciting adventure. While he doesn't take himself too seriously, I think that the history and archaeology aspects were realistic, and the science seeme ...more
Aisling Zena

Who hasn't heard of the legend of Atlantis?And who among us hasn't speculated even a tinsy bit whether it was real or not and if real where did it exist? Plato described Atlantis and inadvertently created one of the biggest mysteries of all time. No one can guess what the truth is unless we finally make a time machine. And this is what drives humanity, our need to know and this book plays on that need beautifully.

For my romance-lover friends, if you want to flaming passion and torrid af
Casey (LPC)
I have been constantly staring at this book for quite some time because I pass it almost everyday at work. Finally I decided I was sick of overlooking it, picked it up and never looked back.

The Hunt for Atlantis is both a mythical, archaeology, history, thriller, mystery and adventure all thrown into one book. It centers around Nina Wilde a genius archaeologist who is following in her late parents footsteps to find the lost city of Atlantis. She finally believes she has found the correct locatio
I don't know this Andy McDermott, but he's merciless, because this book grabs hold of you on page 43, jams both thumbs right into your windpipe, and doesn't let up for a second until it ends. This is one serious thrill-ride of a story!

Archeologist Nina Wilde has been searching for Atlantis since her parents died years before in their search for it. Although she keeps being told Atlantis is a myth, she's convinced it's real, and more than that, she's certain she knows where to find it. Unfortunat
Patrick Gibson
I have read some good things about this author. He is a former movie critic (thumbs up on that) and seems to be a well reviewed new action writer. Okay, I’ll bite. But before I spend $5.99 on a single Kindle version I will sneak over to the used bookstore (now located at the flea market, go figure) and buy his first THREE novels for $5. If I don’t like the other two novels, I can line the litter box with them (many a dreadful book has ended up as cat poop catcher).

The description of the book bri
McDermott had a great idea for a novel but he managed to ruin it with bad writing, a predictable, conventional plot and characters that were even more conventional and predictable than the plot. Besides the plain and ordinary "easy to identify with" heroine with no super skills there was her professional mercenary protector, a classic annoying person - a character one knew from the first appearance was going to die for being so bloody annoying - and this unbeatable Indiana-Jones-on-amphetamine c ...more
Sparshy Saxena
Slightly balding with a gap toothed grin.. And an infectious sense of humour.. Oh I loved Eddie Chase!!
The whole.. Twisted Treasure Hunt (as one would rather call it)was beautifully decorated with meaningful action and witty humor to link crisply spaced out History. The pace was almost unrelenting in terms of claiming your undivided attention.
All of this.. And yet not losing the ultimate goal of historical fiction.. Describing the legend of Atlantis and its surrounding theories to its impatient
I won this book on Goodreads. The promo blurb sounded interesting, hence my signing up to win. Unfortunately, not one of my favorite novels.
The basic story was pretty good. Dr. Nina Wilde is determined that Atlantis really existed and is trying to continue the quest to find it that ultimately took the lives of her parents. The clues that are used to move the story along were interesting; using modern technology, places and things that were easy to use as references.
But, reading this was sort
Does Atlantis exist?

A question that has been in the minds of many, one of them is the young, smart archaeologist Nina Wilde.

Having been obsessed with its existence for all her life - literally, as she was taken along with her archaeologist parents obsessed with the same search, the same search that claimed their lives - and claiming to know the exact location of Atlantis, Nina proposes her research to the University. Devastated when faced with the University panel's rejection, she immediately ju
Mike (the Paladin)
I was a little slow about going to 4 starts here. This is another book I like...but wish i could maybe have gone 3.5. The books characters while fairly complete are, well maybe sort of 2 dimensional. If great characters are painted in vibrant colors these are sort...pastel. I'm thinking that we'll get to know them better if we:

And I probably will. The story itself is fast moving and full of action. There's a plot twist built in that while it can't actually be a surprise because
Neal Kristopher
Reviews Of Unusual Size

Re: Nina Wilde, a... researcher, or professor, or something, thinks she knows where Atlantis is! But her college says Poo-Poo. Lucky for her, trillionaire Frost is very interested in finding it too, and sends her off, accompanied by the supposedly charming and mysterious Brit, Eddie Chase and overly talented Kari Frost. But Atlantis is being pursued by another hardcore rich dude and there may be more to Frost's interest than just uncovering a long lost civilization...

Ah, the Nazis, will you ever go away?

I won this book on Goodreads. It's not something that I would normally pick up, but it seemed interesting enough. The book doesn't use Nazis in the traditional way that most action books/movies do (although it mentions this), but instead uses a more modern day application of Nazi thought. Still, it seems that any action writer, when struggling for a good idea, can pick up the Nazis and use them as the meat of their plot. As my Logic professor in College once
I was in the mood for a thrilling adventure book, so I decided to try out Andy McDermott's "Hunt for Atlantis". Exciting and full of action? Yes. Believable? Not even close. Entertaining? Enough. Although it won't be known as a classic, it did it's job well enough.

The following may or may not contain spoilers:

Nina Wilde is the daughter of two dead parents who spent their adult life hunting for the lost city of Atlantis. Nina has the financial aid of a billionaire by the name of Frost, and the ph
I gave up - it's poorly written, with too many exclamation points & a heroine who is too dumb to live, let alone have a PhD - I mean, really, does she think the hero's going to hand her an activated grenade after he's just saved her life (yes, it's a live grenade, no, it's not going to blow up)?
DO NOT start reading this, thinking of it as a book, or you will be greatly disappointed.
Take it more, as a script, for a really bad action / adventure movie.
Spoiler Alert !!!!
Here's the synopsis : Secret society A and B hate each other and there's an Atlantis based mysterious plot, with a touch of nazism.

So now that you understand, what you got yourself into, enters naïve (doesn't know she's beautiful type of girl) but brilliant academic student Nina Wilde.
She dedicates her to life to cont
Ann Keller
Wow! I’m still reeling from turning the final page of this fast-paced thriller. As exciting as a shrieking descent on a roller coaster, as cold and calculating as a whale chasing a school of fish in a frigid Norwegian fjord, The Hunt for Atlantis will deep you riveted to its pages until the momentous conclusion.

Archaeologist Nina Wilde is intrigued by the mysterious symbols on the orichalcum pendant retrieved from the rough sands of Morocco. Could this be the key to Atlantis? Nina’s parents foug
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
The Hunt for Atlantis by Andy McDermott represents a genre that is one of my guilty pleasures: action/adventure novels. As Publisher's Weekly said, McDermott "raises the bar to please adventure junkies who prefer to mainline their action." And that is the reality here. The Hunt for Atlantis is a fast paced, globetrotting novel that has plenty of action. It is like a merge of Indiana Jones and 24. Really. The novel goes from one adventure plus narrow escape to another.

Let me be honest here. When
A new, for me, series in the vein of James Rollins & Matthew Reilly that stars Dr. Nina Wilde & ex-SAS Eddie Chase. This outing was dedicated to finding the ever elusive Atlantis. It had a slight Indiana Jones vibe (temples with booby traps), a good bit of action (exploding vehicles and gun fights), snarky humor (most of the main characters) and Nazis. There was a little less romance than I would've liked and the bad guys were predictable as were the 'twists' that came about towards the ...more
Marc Dorval
I needed a book for an upcoming trip, and found this in the library. It sounded interesting enough, and light enough, for my trip.

The story was interesting, and the ideas were not new but certainly well presented. What kept me from loving the book, though, was the absence of texture in the characters. I felt that I was reading a movie script that expects the actors to flesh out the characters. Rather wooden dialogue didn't help at all.

It's the type of book that you want to read for fun, without
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
An exciting read, fun. This book is along the same lines Clive Custlers Dirk Pitt Series. The characters are funnier but not quite as well developed as Cussler's. Still it moved quick, one exciting moment after another and a suprise at the end. It's hard to ask for more than that. There are moment's where the reader needs to suspend belief, and the whole "Atlantis" thing is a bit overdone these days, but McDermott manages to keep it fun and fresh and the history/science of it all is engaging.
Aug 12, 2009 Rob rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Fiction / Adventure / Action
Unorthodoxly, I ended up reading Mc Dermotts second novel - The Tomb Of Hurcules first, and so I had a fair knowledge of how this book would play out. Fortunately this did not ruin the story, and although it wandered into the realms of fantasy a little too often, it was brought back to reality with several thrilling scenes and a fantastic ending, an absolute must for lovers of adventure.
I really wish I could do 1/2 star ratings on this. I would give it 3.5 stars. This was a good fun read. Lots of adventure and thrills. The amount of casualties and gun fights might turn some people off if they have too vivid of an imagination. I'm looking forward to the next Nine/Eddie adventure.
Ryan Burt
I liked this book. Premise a little bit on the ridiculous side. But I am a big fan of the mystery of Atlantis. So I like most books that have anything about it included. I am planning on reading the next book though.
*4.5 stars.

Amazing start to what I hope to be an awesome series. In my opinion, it reminded me of a cross between, Indiana Jones and The Da Vinci Code. I can't wait until I can get my hands on the second book!!!!
Francesca Mascari
Fin dalle pagine iniziali del prologo sono stata presa da un grande entusiasmo, per questo romanzo che è il risultato di un insieme di ingredienti che amo molto. Avventura, azione, colpi di scena, archeologia misteriosa e personaggi brillanti e simpatici (soprattutto i due protagonisti Nina e Chase).
Andy Mcdermott è stato in grado di scrivere una storia plausibile basandosi su quello che ad oggi viene considerato un mito dalla maggior parte di noi (ma chissà che non sia così?).
Il romanzo
At times I indulge my desire to find good adventure fiction. You would think with the success of Raiders of the Lost Ark that a lot of publishers would have been jumping on the bandwagon. Well, maybe they did, but so far the search for that writer who captures the atmosphere of a good adventure movie has been about as fruitful as finding intelligent life in the universe.

This is the first volume in McDermott's Nina Wylde and Eddie Chase series, and I would have cared more if I cared about he char
Η Ατλαντίδα είναι πάντα ένα ελκυστικό θέμα για δημιουργούς και αναγνώστες. Δυστυχώς όμως ο συγγραφέας το χειρίζεται με άσχημο τρόπο μην εκπληρώνοντας τις προσδοκίες μου ούτε κατ'ελάχιστο.
Αδιάκοπες ταρζανιές των κεντρικών ηρώων, με τους κακούς στα κλισέ που έχω ξανασυναντήσει άπειρες φορές στο παρελθόν και τον συγγραφέα να είναι άλλος ένας από αυτούς που λοξοκοιτούσαν το χόλυγουντ ενώ έγραφε.
"Αγκαλιάστηκαν και φιλήθηκαν", "γατζώθηκε από τους τροχούς του αεροσκάφους ενώ απογειωνόταν", "ο (καλός) π
Nuning Indani
Sesuai dengan promosinya "Melesat secepat kilat" yang ada di cover belakang buku ini, ceritanya memang tidak mengecewakan. Benar-benar melesat secepat kilat membuat aku seringkali serasa tidak bernafas saat membacanya. Yang agak mengganggu menurutku ada 2 hal. Yang pertama, tokoh 'hero' dalam buku ini seringkali lolos dari maut. Seperti kucing yang memiliki banyak nyawa. Yang kedua, bahasa di dialognya menurutku terkadang agak kurang pas. Entah karena terjemahannya atau memang aslinya yang seper ...more
Splash Of Our Worlds *Yiota*
Awesome awesome awesome! I'm so happy i finally got this one (it was at my TBR for over 2 years i believe XD).

Nina's Wilde parents die while they were searching for Atlantis. Ten years later, Nina continues the tradition and finally she knows where Atlantis is. The thing is that many people don't want Atlantis to be found and others want it really bad. So she is somewhere between. One of the richest persons in the world give her anything she wants for the expedition, from money to bodyguards. An
Jackie Bebbington
The Hunt for Atlantis by Andy Mcdermott is the second book that I have read by him so I went into this one with some very specific expectations.

Base on my first experiences with his books I was expecting something that keep me on the edge of my seat so to say and this book did not disappoint.

As the title suggest this book focuses on the hunt for the lost city of Atlantis and the two main characters Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase. Both of these characters are very well written with very clear distin
  • Raising Atlantis (Conrad Yeats Adventure #1)
  • Pulse (Chess Team Adventure, #1)
  • Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter, #1)
  • Event (Event Group Adventure, #1)
  • The Lost Labyrinth (Daniel Knox, #3)
  • Atlantis (Jack Howard, #1)
  • The Lost Army Of Cambyses
  • The Ark (Tyler Locke, #1)
  • Vulcan's Forge (Philip Mercer, #1)
  • The First Apostle (Chris Bronson, #1)
  • The Atlantis Code (Thomas Lourds, #1)
  • The Lost Throne (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #4)
  • The 5 Greatest Warriors (Jack West Jr, #3)
  • Black Rain (Hawker & Laidlaw, #1)
  • The Lost Temple
Andy McDermott was born in Halifax, West Yorkshire, and now lives in Bournemouth. As a journalist and magazine editor, amongst other titles he edited DVD Review and the iconoclastic film publication Hotdog. Andy is now a full-time writer.
More about Andy McDermott...

Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Tomb of Hercules (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #2)
  • The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3)
  • The Covenant Of Genesis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #4)
  • The Cult Of Osiris (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #5)
  • The Sacred Vault (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #6)
  • Empire Of Gold (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #7)
  • Temple Of The Gods (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #8)
  • The Valhalla Prophecy (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase #9)
  • Kingdom of Darkness (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #10)
  • The Revelation Code (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #11)
The Tomb of Hercules (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #2) The Covenant Of Genesis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #4) The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3) The Sacred Vault (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #6) Empire Of Gold (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #7)