Angels' Pawn (Guild Hunter, #0.6)

Angels' Pawn (Guild Hunter 0.6)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  3,698 ratings  ·  202 reviews
More information to be announced soon on this forthcoming title from Penguin USA
Published March 3rd 2009 by Berkley (first published February 1st 2009)

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDark Lover by J.R. WardDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningMoon Called by Patricia BriggsMagic Bites by Ilona Andrews
Best ADULT Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance
374th out of 2,015 books — 3,938 voters
Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickAngelfall by Susan EeUnearthly by Cynthia HandFallen by Lauren KateCrescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick
BEST ANGEL BOOKS
71st out of 130 books — 324 voters

More lists with this book...

Dina
4 1/2 stars

This short story is an interesting add-on to the Guild Hunter series. It's marketed as a prequel to the series, but I think you should read at least the first book, Angels' Blood, before reading it, or you'll have a hard time understanding the world created by Nalini Singh. As it is, this story isn't complete on its own - and that's the only reason I couldn't give it 5 stars.
Julie (jjmachshev)
If you read and liked "Angels' Blood" by Nalini Singh, then "Angels' Pawn" is like an after-dinner mint...a touch of spice with a little heat to round out your meal. If you haven't read "Angels' Blood", then you'll likely just be confused. So far, "Angels' Pawn" is only available as an e-read.

Ashwini, the tormented hunter, approaches Janvier the sexy, Cajun vampire for assistance on a Guild mission to Atlanta. It seems an Archangel has contracted Ashwini's services to retrieve one of his vamps....more
Lisa Kay
★★★★½ I liked it a lot. These two “frienmies” banter back and forth instead of bicker. Yes, there is a difference. As, Sans, my GRs friend says:
Gimme witty dialogue any day over "I hate you, get away from me, go to hell, let's have sex."
Loved the action. Some romantic suspense authors have the H/h do things separately, and I can see the reason for the logistics sometimes. But as a reader, I want to see them working together, side by side, in the thick of it. That happens here.

As a new-to-me-aut...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
I’ve read plenty of short stories and now after reading Singh’s novella, Angels’ Pawn has become of my favourites.

This time we get a closer look at Ashwini, Elena’s Guild Hunter colleague. Ash possesses similar characteristics as Elena – She’s smart, tough, and can kick some serious ass. But she also has her own Guild Hunter “talent”, or a curse, in her opinion. She can hear the thoughts and emotions of others through a single touch. A talent that is unique, but debilitating when the person who...more
Ren
Angel's Pawn is prequel of Guild Hunter Series. The event of this novella is happening before Angel's Blood. This one is the story about Ashwini (Ash) a Guild Hunter, and Janvier, a Cajun vampire and Ashwini everlasting "frenemy". But for now, Ash meet Janvier not to play "catch me if you can" like usual, but she need his help to save one of the vampire member, prevent a war and to avoid an angel's wrath...

The usual problem when I read novella...

TOO SHORT!!!

In this novella, we know more about...more
Zeek
Ashwini is a Guild Hunter, a human who hunts vampires. In this world, Vamps are made and controlled by Angels and one such Angel is not happy with the powerplay taking place below him.

Ashwini wants no part of the politics surrounding Angels and Vamps but she has no choice when the fierce Archangel Nazarach comes a calling. Now she and her arch nemesis, the Cajun Vamp Janvier- who btw, happens to built like "the sexiest dream she'd ever had"- are contracted to retrieve a kidnapped member of the...more
SheLove2Read
Dec 31, 2012 SheLove2Read rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to SheLove2Read by: Keri
Shelves: best-of-2012, 2012
Reread Dec 2012. Positively sinful.

Original review:
'Scuse me while I fan myself!

Someone PLEASE tell me Ashwini and Janvier get their own book!! What can you say about a smokin' hot Cajun vampire and a kick ass female Vampire Hunter except GIMME MORE!

The story itself was vicious and scary and is a world I definitely don't want to live in, especially since it's set in Atlanta - close enough to throw stones at - for me. I do like the authentic feel of the Angels in Singh's world - not the blond, f...more
Marisa
Dec 18, 2012 Marisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone who enjoys paranormal romance
Recommended to Marisa by: Patricia Lopes
Esta novela introduz-nos duas personagens, Ashwini, uma caçadora muito misteriosa e completamente passada das ideias, e Janvier, um vampiro cajun que se diverte bastante com Ashwini.
Ashwini é uma caçadora que pertence à guild, tendo por diversas vezes teve “caçado” Janvier, visto este andar constantemente a faltar ao respeito a vários anjos e/ou outras entidades mais importantes. No entanto, Janvier consegue sempre, no último momento, fazer as pazes com o ofendido, tornando o contrato nulo, o q...more

I read this story as part of the Angels' Flight anthology which contains 4 Guild Hunter novellas.

If you have read any of the other books you'll probably remember talk of guild hunter Ashwini and her vampire nemesis. Janvier has a very bad habit of getting himself in trouble with the angels and doing a disappearing act which means the guild are called in to track him down. Ash has spent years chasing him across the world and through the bayou only for him to always make his peace with th...more
The Holy Terror
Apr 13, 2010 The Holy Terror rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: diehard fans of the Guild Hunter series
I didn't really like this ebook. It was confusing and didn't really make me want to read the series. Too many characters were thrown into the mix and not enough explanation was given. You could chalk that up to this only being a 19-page ebook, but I think if you can't write something coherent you shouldn't make it a short story.

I'd suggest not even bothering with it unless you really want to know about Ashwini and Janvier - supposedly Singh is going to revisit their relationship at some point in...more
Laura the Highland Hussy
I really enjoyed that one. I hope Ashwini and Janvier get their HEA.
Dancechica
This prequel to Singh’s new Guild Hunter series was an interesting introduction to a world filled with beautiful vampires, cruel angels, and human hunters. Ashwini is a Guild Hunter—a human who hunts vampires that have broken their contract with their angel masters. When called down to Atlanta by the angel Nazarach to help solve a dispute amongst feuding vampire clans, she turns to sexy, charming Cajun vampire, Janvier, for back up. Though he’s normally her target, there’s an undeniable attracti...more
Helen
Book was okay.....read it after I read Angel's Blood (Guild Hunter #1). It touched on a few comments that were made to Elena by both (the Guild Director) and by Ashwini herself (fellow Hunter) whilst in the catacombs under the building (when Ellie is hiding from Raphael).

Glad I didn't read this book first, because I may have not read the series....so might have missed out on one of my fav series at the moment.....anyway - point of this is that, like I said above, book is okay - read it if you ha...more
Chelssie the FireFairy Book-a-holic
I don't have much to say about Angel's Pawn. I liked it but I didn't love it. Maybe I was expecting they'd have a definite stand with each other in the end. It was open-ended so maybe I have to check the other books for progress.
Anyways, I enjoyed it. I like Ashwini. But I didn't get to know her well. She had so many secrets until the end. I love Janvier. What's there not to love? He's funny, smart, strong, and gorgeous. Their love hate relationship is kinda fun, too. The chemistry is undeniable...more
✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽
**3.5 stars**

The bad thing about novellas is that they are such a tease. You only get a taste and they often leave you wanting. This was the case with this novella. I really enjoyed learning about the Guild Hunter world and especially about Janvier and Ashwini but just when it got to the good part, it ended!!! That was just wrong!

I hope that the next book, Angel's Blood, won't tease me. I'm looking forward to it and this Raphael I've been hearing so much about!
Heather C
I read this in preparation for Angels' Blood. I thought it was ok, but it had too much going on and too many characters for a novella. The majority of the time I didn't have a clue what was happening or what any of it meant.

I liked the romantic tension between the two main characters (sorry, but I can't pronounce, spell, or remember either of their names). Unfortunately it was left open ended, also.
Ronda
After reading the Psy-Changeling series, I needed a fix of Nalini's fascinating worlds, the way she writes is amazing... Friends have told me that this Guild Hunter series is also very good, if not better and if either is true, then I'm in for a treat...

This prequel definitely gave me an insight, although into what, I'm not wholly sure - but I'm about to find out... bring on book 1!!!
★Ruth★
I have to say I really enjoyed this little short story.
I got more invested than I normally would in a novella, I was really rooting for these 2 crazy kids & want to know so much more about them & their story but reading the blurbs of the rest of the series I don't see them mentioned :(
Stacey
Hhhnngggg. Ashwini and Janvier's story!!!

THERE BETTER BE A FUCKING SEQUEL TO THIS NOVELLA OR I'M GOING APESHIT!

description
Alicia
Nov 25, 2012 Alicia marked it as abandoned
Shelves: angels, shorter, vampires, z-x
Boring. This seemed more like an introduction to a world than a story in its own right. I quit halfway through when I found myself skimming over everything in search of a story.
Gina
Ashwini and Janvier, I liked these two.
PepperP0t (ireadthatbook.com)
Loved it. I kept seeing here that this was a good series and I am glad I tried it (I also listened about BDB -- way great!). I'm just beginning this series -- and I was able to get right into it. Nice introduction to the Guild Hunter world.

In this novella we're introduced to Ashwini (Hunter) and Janvier (Vamp) who team up to collect a wayward vamp and bring her back to the Angel that owns her contract. Although that is the basic synopsis of the book those words can't convey the strength of the c...more
♥ Sarah ♥
This is a prequel to the Guild Hunter series. I've never read anything in the series before, but have been told that it's a really good series so I wanted to get started on it!

In this story Ashwini, a hunter for the Guild asks a favor from a vampire she's hunted in the past -- Janvier. Not only has she hunted him in the past, but the sexual tension between them has been running rampant for a while, and continues to do so even as he helps her find a missing vampire named Monique. Monique is from...more
Hilcia
Re-read. 5/5 again for me! 2011.

Angel's Pawn by Nalini Singh is an e-book and a novella, so it's not too long and a fast read. It's actually called a "companion book" to Angel's Blood. As a companion book, I think it works well. The story works by giving the reader the starting blocks to the Hunters Guild world without giving away too many details -- the ones Singh really gets into in Angel's Blood.

I read Angel's Blood first, so I was already familiar with its main character. The two main char...more
Marquetta (LoveToReadForFun)
Angel's Pawn is a stand alone novella that introduces us to Ashwini, who works for The Guild and Janvier, a vampire she's constantly tracking. Even though you don't have to have read Angels' Blood and Archangel's Kiss before reading the novella, I would suggest you do so. If you're not familiar with The Guild, you will be confused. A lot of character names are introduced in this novella and even I had a hard time keeping them straight. Being a novella, it was a quick read. I enjoyed the sexual t...more
Angela
Angels' Pawn is an introduction to the world that we'll learn more about in Angels' Blood (due out 3/3/2009). A world where angels and vampires not only co-exist, but have an interesting connection. As a Guild Hunter, one of those that hunts rogue vampires down for the angels, Ashwini finds herself suddenly stuck between two vampire factions, and the angel wanting to manipulate them all, in Atlanta. She turns, for help, to Janvier, a vampire himself - who may have his own reasons for assisting h...more
Elenariel
3.5*
Ashwini and Janvier are two of the most intriguing characters of the entire series: it was because I read their story first that I was excited about the series and went on to read Angel's blood.
In a few pages you can already guess something about the worldbuilding and its rules, the different ranks of the actors, but, above all, to win me was also the style of storytelling and the character development that were definitely fun to follow.
Although this is a short story there is so much food on...more
Sath
This is a prequel to the Guild Hunters series. But in fact I think it won't make much sense unless read after book 1, as it's too short to go into much detail about the world, and would be confusing if you jumped straight into it.

In the Guild Hunter world, Angels are real and in charge. They're powerful and immortal, and have been around a long time, hence they're prettty much running every city in every country. And they're not all harps and clouds, due to their longevity and inbred feelings of...more
Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥
This is a nice, litte story to become acquainted with Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter world.

It is interesting to see the connection between the vamps and the angels and get an insight into the politics. World-building and action is very important to me and this seems very promising for the series. It's a nice change that being a vampire has it's downsides since you are kind of a slave for the angels, at least for the first century of your new life.

The characters are interesting as well and who stic...more
S.
There are certain elements in a book that will almost guaranteed grab my attention like none other:

• The Southern United States
• Vampires and angels (together!)
• Vampire hunters

(No one does vampire hunters anymore. A trend has been sparked that entails vampires are the good guys. C'mon, where've all the kickass humans gone?)
• A guild
• A fearless aversion to YA's approach to sex as naughty and/or unmentionable

Angels' Pawn was the perfect combination of all of that and more. It begins with Ashwini...more
Read Angel's Blood first! 6 36 Oct 24, 2013 04:08AM
  • Angels of Darkness (Alphas, #0.5; Guild Hunter, #3.5; The Guardians, #7.5; Samaria)
  • An Enchanted Season (Psy-Changeling, #0.5; Murphy Sisters, #1)
  • Must Love Hellhounds (Sookie Stackhouse, #9.2; Guild Hunter, #0.5; Kate Daniels, #3.5; The Guardians, #5.5)
  • Burning Up (Children of the Sea, #3.5; Psy-Changeling, #0.6; Iron Seas, #0.5)
  • The Magical Christmas Cat (Breeds, #17; Murphy Sisters, #2; Psy-Changeling, #3.5)
  • Curran; On the Day of the Panty Dinner: Part 1 (Curran POV, #6)
  • Demon Blood (The Guardians, #6)
  • The Wicked (Elder Races, #5.5)
  • Burning Skies (Guardians of Ascension, #2)
  • Overkill: Snippets of Demonica Life (Demonica, #5.7)
I've been writing as long as I can remember and all of my stories always held a thread of romance (even when I was writing about a prince who could shoot lasers out of his eyes). I love creating unique characters, love giving them happy endings and I even love the voices in my head. There's no other job I would rather be doing. In September 2002, when I got the call that Silhouette Desire wanted t...more
More about Nalini Singh...
Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) Archangel's Kiss (Guild Hunter, #2) Caressed by Ice (Psy-Changeling, #3) Archangel's Consort (Guild Hunter, #3)

“I want no blood from you--not until we're both sweaty and naked and you're screaming my name.” 33 likes
“Stay with me. I’ll show you things that’ll make you laugh in delight, scream in passion, cry for the sheer joy of it.” 29 likes