Start by marking “Jacinto's Remnant (Gears of War, #2)” as Want to Read:
Jacinto's Remnant (Gears of War, #2)

Jacinto's Remnant (Gears of War #2)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  1,612 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Based on the blockbuster Xbox game, this is the stunning story of the men and women who stood between a planet and total destruction–and now have to face the consequences of their actions.

After a brutal fifteen-year war for survival, the Coalition of Ordered Governments is forced to destroy mankind’s last city in a final bid to stop the Locust Horde. As the survivors flee
Published July 28th 2009 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Jacinto's Remnant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jacinto's Remnant

Halo by Eric S. NylundAssassin's Creed by Oliver BowdenBioShock by John ShirleyAssassin's Creed by Oliver BowdenThe Umbrella Conspiracy by S.D. Perry
Video Game Novels/Trades
34th out of 246 books — 278 voters
The Legend of Zelda by Patrick ThorpeThe Calling by David GaiderThe Legend of Zelda by Akira HimekawaThe Stolen Throne by David GaiderIco by Miyuki Miyabe
Great Books Made From Great Video Games
59th out of 64 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael
Dec 02, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction, 2011
Review from Badelynge
Jacinto's Remnant is the second book in the Gears of War series following on directly after the events portrayed in Gears of War 2 the popular Xbox 360 game. The humans of Sera have destroyed their last major stronghold Jacinto in a desperate attempt to flood the underground lair of the Locust. The survivors flee in search of a new refuge, hoping that the monsters from below have been all but wiped out. The book documents the Gears and the civilians of Jacinto scouting for a
Stuart
Jan 03, 2016 Stuart rated it liked it
'Catastrophic moments bringing the best out of humanity – and the worst!'

For a game not known for having much of a story, Karen Traviss sure knows how to pull out the substance of the lore within the Gears universe. The jeist of the Gears franchise focuses on a genocidal war between humanity and the Locust horde, monsters which erupted from the below the surface of Sera. The war last for some fifteen years. Before that there was over sixty years of war with the Union of Independent States, bet
Adil
Jan 21, 2010 Adil rated it it was amazing
Jacinto's Remnant (Gears of War)
by Karen Traviss
Del Rey
352 pages
isbn 0345499441

Jacinto's Remnant was a great idea for a book because it was based on the best-selling xbox games, Gears of War 1 and 2. If you've played the video game, then you have a good idea about what the book is about and understand it better than others who have not. The video game had a great storyline and the character developement was great, but this book highlights all the little things and specifically focuses on the
Jbergamini
Dec 31, 2009 Jbergamini rated it it was amazing
Gears of War Jacinto's Remanant is a sci-fi book based on the hit Xbox games. The story happens in the games and books on the planet Sera, the only known Human planet. The remaining Humans are trying to rebuild after the fourteen year war with the sentient, underground-living creatures dubbed the Locust. It was a war of xenocide. That is where the story begins in this book.
Gears of War Jacinto's Remnant is a fantastic book but a lot of people wouln't get it if they haven't played the games, whic
Michael
Aug 18, 2009 Michael is currently reading it
I'm currently 3/4 of the way in and let me say it is FANTASTIC for a videogame novel. Both of the Gears books seem to stand above the average novelized form of a videogame. Karen Traviss really knows how to write a damn good sci-fi novel that feels realistic and connects you to the emotions, thoughts, and feelings of the characters. You could honestly read this book with no prior knowledge of the series and feel completely immersed due to Traviss's mastery of character depth.
Charlene
Aug 31, 2009 Charlene rated it it was amazing
When I first heard that someone would be writing Gears of War books, I was worried. After all, how could someone possibly capture all the things about the game and the characters I loved?

Karen Traviss has done her work beautifully, creating a world so real, you feel like you could walk out your door and meet any of these characters on the street.

If you're any kind of Gears of War fan, I highly recommend this book.
Miles
Sep 04, 2009 Miles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military
As before, Ms. Traviss has shown herself to have a great grasp on the characters of Delta Squad. Unlike Aspho Fields, her previous book in this setting, in Jacinto's Remnant she tackled the implications of peace after ninety years of war. A recommended read for GOW fans and lovers of sci-fi militaria.
John Marshall Davis
Good installment in the Gears series. Ends too soon.

Traviss did an excellent job with Aspho Fields, and while Jacinto's Remnant continues the same high level of writing, the book feels incomplete. There is not enough resolution and the book ends abruptly. It lacks the same buildup to a major operation as in Aspho. Enjoyable reading though.
Chris Bahnsen
Sep 30, 2016 Chris Bahnsen rated it really liked it
Very exciting to read especially if you follow the games story line all though it could have been better if. The author would have put more realistic events in even though the extreme luck Dom and the others. Had did keep me on the edge of my seat when Cole was near drowning after the Jacinto Incident and she was lucky enough to get in contact with the others. But I feel if she would not have made it the story could have been a little more realistic. Overall it was very descriptive, appealing, ...more
Jacey
Feb 17, 2015 Jacey rated it really liked it
Though I still love Karen Traviss' Star Wars Republic Commando books I'm not so sure about Gears of War. On the pro side Traviss has a very sure voice and gets under the skin of ordinary soldiers better than anyone else I've ever read. Her characters are three dimensional and very human - intense and conflicted. I love that.

What I can't quite wrap my head around is the world. Obviously it's from an X-Box game so it's not Karen's world (I think I might have liked it better if it had been) and som
Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V.
I really am loving the entire Gears storyline. I actually began the journey with the game GOW3 so I started out all the way at the end of the story. Just that game was enough to get me so interested in the characters that I had to read the books.

This one definitely didn't have as much action as Aspho Fields did but if you're interested in the character development and just wanting some fill in of the time between the games then you'll get that out of this book.

Humanity is trying to rebuild itsel
Jackson Hampton
Jan 13, 2013 Jackson Hampton rated it it was amazing
Jacinto's Remnant is the fantastic sequel to Traviss' Aspho Fields.
This segment of the story follows the decision to fire the Hammer of Dawn, as well as Marcus's fight to protect the Jacinto Survivors.
The part of the book really focuses on Victor Hoffman, and his internal struggles about firing the Hammer. It will kill millions of innocent civilians, and Hoffman doesn't know if he can live with that, seeings how one of those civillians is his wife, Margaret.
The second part of the book follows
Jon Cole
Much like Gears of war, Tome 1 : Aspho Fields, Gears of War: Jacinto's Remnant dives both into the "present day" storyline taking place between Gears of War 2 and Gears of War 3 as well as the prologue storyline taking place around Emergence Day. While not nearly as directly parallel as the two plots in Aspho Fields, Jacinto's Remnant helps flesh out another aspect of the Gears universe - the mood and cultural climate at both times.

Karen Traviss manages to convey this sense through the events in
Gearsofwarchick31
Jul 05, 2011 Gearsofwarchick31 rated it it was amazing
Karen Traviss continues the Gear of War storyline with the consequences of their decisions made in the two video game storylines. The first game consequence is the destruction of the major cities to deny the resources from the Locust Horde. How those decisions affected the surviving humans and their personal lives is explained.

The second game consequence is flooding Jacinto to destroy the Horde. This story mainly focuses on building shelter and providing essential services to survive the winter
Phillip Dimarzo

Keith
Sep 30, 2015 Keith rated it really liked it
People give the fiction in Gears a hard time for being shallow, but have to admit I love the games and have found the way the comics (and now the two novels I've read) have expanded on the world and the backstories. They add a lot of the character development and world-building which the game doesn't take a breather to fill out, and that feeds back into my enjoyment of the games, with characters popping in and out of the different mediums. There's a macho team melodrama to the Gears franchise ...more
Charley
Jan 05, 2014 Charley rated it it was amazing
As a solid gears fan I thought as I've played and love all the games I might as well read the books, I fell in love with the 1st book (Aspho Fields) and my love is carrying on. Karen Traviss is a very good writer in how she has wrote this book, she has done her research on both the military and on Gears of War.

The way she goes back and forth from the past to present is very well written and doesn't leave you confused like some books that do this. I also love how she has made the books that littl
Randy
May 26, 2015 Randy rated it really liked it
Being a fan of the Gears of War video games series, I was curious about the back story of the COG and the Locust.

Jacinto's Remnant is the second book in the series, it tells the story of Delta Squad evacuating Jacinto, and trying to find an adequate location to setup a temporary housing for all of the citizens. The flashback sequences go back to the Hammer of Dawn strike on Sera, and the push to get citizens into Jacinto before the strike.

We are given more back story on many of the main charac
Matt Cash
Jun 08, 2013 Matt Cash rated it it was amazing
Taking place during the sinking of Jacinto, this novels continues the story arc began in Gears of War 2, with the CoG now taking refuge all over the country and seeking a new home. Traviss again brings the scarred population of Sera to life, focusing on the relationships between the Gears, Stranded, the isolated population of Vectes, and the remnants people of Gorasyna, former enemies of the CoG. Flashback sequences give the account of the decision, and immediate aftermath, of the Hammer of Dawn ...more
Roberto Ramos
Feb 21, 2012 Roberto Ramos rated it really liked it
Creo que estos libros funcionan tan bien, por que la autora hace a los personajes creíbles, uno podría imaginar a cualquiera de ellos en la vida real.
Otra cosa que también funciona muy bien son los detalles, esos pequeños detalles que dicen mucho de los personajes y por obvias razones no vemos en los juegos, aquí se conocen a otro nivel, por ejemplo el duelo de dom por maria aquí es visto no solo desde el punto de vista del personaje, sino también de sus compañeros y de la sociedad en si, por q
Adam
Mar 19, 2013 Adam rated it really liked it
What a read! Whether or not you are familiar with the games these books a are well worth the read. This is the 2nd in Karen Traviss' part of this universe and it is just as good as the first. It may even be better in some ways. There isn't nearly the focus on the "Grubs" and the intense battles that the Gears have them but, more focus on the human element. It was really fascinating delving into the characters more, including some of the poulation on this world as characters themselves. If you ...more
Wes Devauld
Nov 11, 2011 Wes Devauld rated it liked it
The book, like the others in the series parallels two stories in two different time periods. This book, I found to not have as climatic of plot as the others; the future timeline is really just toddling along, and I imagine that the historical timeline was supposed to be the building story. Unfortunately, because the events happened in the past, you already know how it all plays out before the historical tale reaches those points.

You can tell that the author is setting up for the next book in th
Chris Peters
Nov 26, 2014 Chris Peters rated it it was ok
I only ended up reading this because my daughter got it in a mystery book box, and she didn't want it. So I took it, not expecting very much. And honestly, it was a lot better than I thought it would be. Fairly good characterizations--many of these books based on someone else's characters don't seem to get them right, but Traviss does a pretty good job.

The only real problem is that the book hints and seems to be building up toward some huge, epic event. And it never happens. Time after time, you
Chance
Dec 15, 2011 Chance rated it it was amazing
THERE IS A TON OF ...more
Daniel Black
Oct 28, 2011 Daniel Black rated it liked it
Karen Traviss humanizes the Gears characters and world, and her work suggests she's very excited to be a part of it. Her characters fit the universe without being caged by the videogame representation.

Traviss expends a lot of energy telling the reader what the characters are thinking. He expends significant energy trying to convince the reader of some of the characters attributes. This repeatedly breaks immersion, and makes the narrative feel choppy.

Overall I enjoyed the book, but it could've be
Warren
Sep 09, 2011 Warren rated it liked it
liked this better than Aspho Fields (which was the first book in this series, and seemed designed for a hammering payoff that never came. or was perhaps removed).

Jacinto's Remnant also just sort of randomly ended without a clear climax. but it was filled with many more engaging character moments, and repeatedly left me thinking about the bigger picture of the Gears universe. which I'd sum up as : destroying yourself to win.

all in all, i really enjoyed and feel much more excited to keep reading t
Scott Vout
May 17, 2012 Scott Vout rated it liked it
Shelves: gave-up-on-it
I was not able to finish this book. Not sure why i lost interest. I read book one and just could not put it down. I raved about it in my review.

This one bored me to distraction. A lot of living in the past. I am sure Traviss did this to fill out the characters but i found it boring this time.

Maybe i have just lost interest in the story, not sure, but i just could not get into it.

I rated it a 3 because i did not want to trash it, if you play the video games and are really into the characters you
Steve Johnson
Feb 29, 2016 Steve Johnson rated it liked it
Shelves: video-game
I've read this book in 2011, after having played Gears of War 1 and 2, when I was eagerly anticipating the release of Gears of War 3. The story takes place after the events depicted in Gears of War 2. In my opinion this book is a bit slower paced and features less action than Gears of War: Aspho Fields, instead it focuses more on the characters which isn't necessarily a bad thing, though I did feel like there could be a bit more action. It's still a good book and I'd recommend this to fans of ...more
Jesus De
Dec 04, 2011 Jesus De rated it it was amazing
this book by karen was extremely well done. the dialogue although profain at times was extremely in detail and well thought out. I also enjoyed to see a change in the idea of the enemy. This book showed that not only had the locust been after delta squad but also a group of savage humans who are strandeds turned raiders. It completely keeps your mind off of the locust for a while untill the explosive ending. supurb.
Stephanie Barnard
Dec 05, 2012 Stephanie Barnard rated it it was amazing

Love, love, love Gears!!!! Unfortunately found book #2 first....but it's signed by some of the creators...bonus!!!! An amazing read; it gave a lot of depth to characters I loved or knew nothing about. Can't wait to read the rest of them. Almost as much as I can't wait for Gears 4 to come out!!!!!
  • Gears of War: Volume One
  • Gears of War: Volume Two
  • Fable: the Balverine Order
  • Dead Space: Martyr (Dead Space, #1)
  • Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe
  • Borderlands: Unconquered
  • Dead Space
  • Mass Effect: Retribution (Mass Effect, #3)
  • Nova (StarCraft: Ghost, #1)
  • Speed of Darkness (StarCraft, #3)
  • Firstborn (Starcraft: The Dark Templar Saga, #1)
  • Halo: Cryptum
  • Starcraft: I, Mengsk
  • Shadow of the Xel'Naga (Starcraft, #2)
  • Heaven's Devils (StarCraft II, #1)
  • Halo: Ghosts of Onyx
  • The Halo Graphic Novel
#1 New York Times best-selling novelist, scriptwriter and comics author Karen Traviss has received critical acclaim for her award-nominated Wess'har series, and her work on Halo, Gears of War, Batman, G.I. Joe, and other major franchises has earned her a broad range of fans. She's best known for military science fiction, but GOING GREY, the first of her new techno-thriller series, is set in the ...more
More about Karen Traviss...

Gears of War (5 books)
  • Aspho Fields (Gears of War, #1)
  • Anvil Gate (Gears of War, #3)
  • Coalition's End (Gears of War, #4)
  • The Slab (Gears of War, #5)

“Hope was evil. It seduced you, then it dropped you on your ass so hard and so fast that you were worse off than when you started.” 0 likes