Start by marking “Run at Destruction: A True Fatal Love Triangle” as Want to Read:
Run at Destruction: A True Fatal Love Triangle

Run at Destruction: A True Fatal Love Triangle

Run at Destruction explores the true-life love triangle between three teachers/runners in small-town America, and the eventual death of the wife in her own bathtub. Drews unfolds the drama brilliantly, right through to the sentencing of the husband to a life in prison and even an afterword from the mistress apologizing years later. Sent to prison, the husband and mistress ...more
Published August 7th 2009 by Titletown Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Run at Destruction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Run at Destruction

Mary
Jun 26, 2010 Mary rated it liked it
I lived in Green Bay at the time this happened and knew several of the people mentioned in the running club and the book in general.
It was well organized and developed.
Gary Taylor
Jan 22, 2010 Gary Taylor rated it really liked it
Imagine yourself as a suburban yuppie, enjoying the high drama of PTA debates over the best date for next year’s spring carnival or the nail-biting election of a new secretary at the little league. Votes tallied, you all gather for a barbecue on someone’s brick patio, share some stories about the challenges of the local park landscaping project and then drift away to make plans for church on Sunday. Now imagine you’ve heard some whispers about infidelity among your ranks. Juicy for gossip, eh? S ...more
Lynda Drews
Apr 27, 2009 Lynda Drews rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Ann Rule, New York Times Best-Selling True Crime Author of The Stranger Beside Me, Small Sacrifices, and Mortal Danger wrote:
"Run at Destruction is a tragic--yet fascinating--true story of an unfathomable death in the Heartland of America. It happened in a wholesome community of runners and educators, perhaps the last group you would expect to be involved, however tangentially, in secret affairs, deception, and infidelity. Except for the bond between mothers and their children, there may be noth
David Crosby
Aug 20, 2009 David Crosby rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Well, what a read that was, very powerful and emotive. This isn't a genre I have dabbled in before - True Crime - or a subject I have much interest in - running. But that is what reading is for me, new experiences, people, emotions.
I found this to be a book of two parts or styles. The first being the author's very personal recollections of life at the time and her interactions with the main characters, and the second the incredibly detailed trial descriptions. The level of detail tells of what m
Petra
Oct 30, 2009 Petra rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaway-wins
This story is a touching retelling of a difficult time in the author's life. The author finds a way to understanding and acceptance of a dear friend's death. Murder or accident?....how can one tell?
There are two stories happening here:
One that tells of the Running Community in Green Bay, complete with the good friendships forged, the togetherness of the group and their interactions with each other. It's a wonderful story of friendship through Life, within a very close group of people.
The other
Aug 05, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
True crime isn't really a genre I normally delve into, but I was interested in the running scene in Green Bay in the early '80s. The story got a little bogged down with excessive details early on, but picked up when it got to the trial, when the details became so very important. I also had some trouble following some of the memory/flashback scenes in the first half, which normally isn't a problem for me.

The story itself, though, was fascinating. I still can't decide what I think really happened!
Barbara Wilson
Jun 30, 2009 Barbara Wilson rated it it was amazing
Excellent true crime mystery. It takes so much time to research a true crime and then write about it. Lynda has done a fabulous job writing about a murder that not only happen, but happened to a friend. Written with facts and emotion it's sad that this had to happen and change the lives of so many people and that it doesn't have a happy ending. Recommended for those who are in the running world and like to read investigative stories.
Cindy
Feb 26, 2011 Cindy rated it liked it
Real life murder mystery that takes place in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Written by the victims best friend. If you are a runner, you may enjoy this.

However, it is written by the friend of the victim....not a professional author, so there are times where the story is hard to follow. She repeats herself a bit. But, as a whole it was a fascinating story with roots back here in Rapids! The victim was a grad of LHS!
Rita
Jan 17, 2016 Rita rated it it was ok
I was disappointed with this TC book because the way this author told the story was confusing. Detail about trial witnesses was available but nothing much on the victim herself, her family or even friends. She did a follow-up on everyone involved to the present day but it just didn't hold my interest. 2 stars.
Stephanie
Aug 07, 2010 Stephanie rated it it was ok
this woman can run but she cannot write. OK I got it, you were fast. Your husband was faster. The killer was a creep. His wife had lost weight but you liked her anyway even if she had been fat. Whatever. The ending was just strange, where she said she thought she would have liked the mistress of the killer if they had met in another way. Huh?
Tania
Mar 04, 2010 Tania rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
I love true crime books and this one took place in Green Bay. The main characters are teachers, something else for me to connect with. I saw the author and her husband at the Literacy Councils Scrabble tournament one week prior to reading this book. Good Book! 367 pages read in a week, even though the week was crazy busy.
Kaye
Jul 16, 2009 Kaye rated it really liked it
This book is a true crime book about a murder case my dad worked on in the 80's when he was the Assistant DA in Green Bay! He's mentioned a lot throughout the book because the author interviewed him during her writing process. There's another book about one of his trials when he was a defense attorney in the works!
Andrea
Dec 29, 2009 Andrea rated it liked it
This book was an interesting read especially since I knew the main character. Actually I knew the son in the book - we went to school together.

It was an interesting read and I got to read about my home town.
Dermot Davis
Nov 27, 2013 Dermot Davis rated it really liked it
The subtitle says that this is a fatal love triangle but that is really not what this story is about. The fact that such a crime could be committed in a small town among a tight knit community of teachers and long distance runners is what makes the story meaningful and full of building intrigue.
Fiona
Jun 02, 2014 Fiona rated it really liked it
The book started out a little confusing because of the jumps between time. The book was well written with very detail account of events. The author is very fair and objective which I don't think I could have in the same circumstance.
Pamela Gottfried
May 12, 2015 Pamela Gottfried rated it it was ok
I would give it 2.5 stars if Goodreads allowed half stars. Honestly, it was heartfelt account of personal story, but as a true crime book (which I generally love) it didn't really grab me. I read it to fulfill the category of "book with a love triangle" for the 2015 Reading Challenge.
Kathy
Sep 23, 2011 Kathy rated it liked it
I like True Crime Stories alot. However, I thought the story got a little bogged down with excessive details early on, things not necessarily important to the crime. All in all enjoyed the book.
Donnanerv
Apr 13, 2010 Donnanerv rated it really liked it
Finished the book & enjoyed because I had worked in G.Bay with some of the folks involved in this tragedy. Would recommend for a factual story.
Ann
Mar 16, 2013 Ann rated it it was amazing
Excellent book by a good friend! Knew how hard it was for her to write this and the years she put into this book. Green Bay is a special place with special people.
Titletownpublishinggmail.com
Sep 03, 2009 Titletownpublishinggmail.com rated it it was amazing
AMAZING!
Pam
Nov 25, 2012 Pam rated it did not like it
Selection of my homemaker's group. Some of them knew/know the people involved.

Gave up on this one.
Vicky
Jul 24, 2014 Vicky rated it really liked it
I could barely put down this true crime account of a killer who was sure he was going to get away with murder.
Mary Fabry
Mary Fabry rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2015
Baglady
Baglady rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2014
Shoshanah Smyser
Shoshanah Smyser rated it it was ok
Oct 11, 2012
Taneshia
Taneshia rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2010
Tommie Kennedy
Tommie Kennedy rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2013
Adriel Slaughter
Adriel Slaughter rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2011
Renee Thompson
Renee Thompson rated it did not like it
Jun 06, 2010
Publisher's Weekly 8/17 Review of Run at Destruction 1 14 Aug 17, 2009 09:08AM
Run at Destruction TV interviews 1 9 Aug 07, 2009 08:59AM
Run at Destruction TV interviews 1 4 Aug 07, 2009 08:59AM
Run at Destruction TV interviews 1 1 Aug 07, 2009 08:58AM
7/6/09 Green Bay Press-Gazette Review of Run at Destruction 1 13 Jul 08, 2009 01:27PM
My Journey to get Ann Rule's blurb for my book 1 8 May 04, 2009 09:54AM
Lynda Drews, a Wisconsin native and dedicated runner, gave the commencement speech at her college Alma mater. One lesson she shared was “to journal your life.” That’s what Lynda did after she made the decision to retire from her global marketing career. Her first book: RUN AT DESTRUCTION (Lynda’s True Crime Memoir, published in 2009, about the mysterious death of her running partner) was the outco ...more
More about Lynda Drews...