Start by marking “Murder in the Rue de Paradis (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #8)” as Want to Read:
Murder in the Rue de Paradis (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #8)

Murder in the Rue de Paradis (Aimee Leduc Investigations #8)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  688 ratings  ·  79 reviews
The eighth Aimée Leduc investigation set in Paris

Aimée Leduc seems to be having a streak of good luck. First, she secures a lucrative computer security contract for her Paris detective agency. Then her ex-boyfriend Yves, the gorgeous bad-boy investigative journalist, reappears in her life. He insists he’s back in Paris indefinitely—and wants to make the ultimate commitment
Published March 1st 2009 by Soho Crime (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Murder in the Rue de Paradis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in the Rue de Paradis

Jay
In her Murder in the Rue de Paradis, Cara Black crafts an interesting semi-noir, whodunit involving middle-eastern jihadists and with assassination on their minds. Written in 2008, this is scarily prescient of the political undercurrents that have run deep and often violently in Paris for many years. This is the 8th in the Aimiee LeDuc detective series. It's the only one of her novels I've read, so I can't compare it to her other books. But it was a fun, if somewhat predictable story (except the ...more
Deborah
I picked up this book for $1 in the used book section of my library. I paid too much. The previous owner apparently didn't like it either--she left her bookmark in the book in the second chapter. Paris is romantic. French people smoke Gauloises, dwarfs have hip dysplasia, Arabs, Turks, and Kurds hate each other and are terrorists, dark men are romantic and sexy, and Aimee LeDuc wears great clothes. I hope I didn't leave out any of the other cliches.
Terri Lynn
The 8th book in the Aimee Leduc series by Cara Black was so good I could not put it down. I read it in the car as my husband drove. I read it in the bathroom as our huge orange and white cat Jake and our big ragdoll/siamese kitty Thomas competed to see who would get to sit in my lap. I read it in bed, while eating, pretty much everywhere.

For those who don't know, Aimee Leduc is a private detective in Paris. Her American born mother was married to a French flic (cop) and abandoned the family to b
Peacejanz
This is one of a series of mysteries with a female private investigator in Paris. It is a good mystery, with many characters, some good, some bad. Aimee, who has inherited the investigating business from her family, is fairly naive and shallow when it comes to men. But she is a "never quit" investigator, full of tricks and willing to work through pain and fear. This mystery deals with the Turkey-Kurdish situation and who gets paid off to tell secrets. The author knows Paris very well and always ...more
Paul Myers
Cara Black’s Murder in the Rue de Paradis is the eigth in a mystery series featuring Aimée Leduc, a computer security expert with a private investigator’s license working in Paris. Each novel in the series is set in a different arrondisement, or district, of Paris. Thus, each story is informed by the charm and mysteries of a particular neighborhood. If you like Paris, you will like traipsing through the neighborhoods with Aimée Leduc.

Thirtysomething Aimée also wanders through the romances availa
Kate Eklund
J
BEWARE of spoilers. I don't hide my reviews, but I don't promote them via feed, either. Exercise some self control! (I've been warned by two self-appointed Goodreads police officers to toe the line).

This was my first Cara Black novel. I loved it. Paris seems palpably present. Nice touch by author (or publisher) to include a street map of the novel's principal locale. Ditto for the photo on front jacket, shot by author herself.

I thought I liked heroine Aimee Leduc, a private eye. This plot involv
Soho Press
In this Parisian mystery, Aimee Leduc, private investigator extraordinaire, has an especially personal case to crack. Cara Black (the author) has told me that this is one of the books in the series that is closest to her heart--I confess it's one of my favorites in the series, although probably for different reasons than Cara's.

Charles Matthews
Cara Black loves Paris when it sizzles.

Of course, as the readers of her seven previous novels about quirky-chic private eye Aimée Leduc already know, Black just plain loves Paris.

In her latest, “Murder in the Rue de Paradis,” it’s the sweltering August of 1995, the month in which every Parisian who can deserts the city, leaving it to the tourists and those who can’t flee. Aimée is one of those who can’t – she has work to do. And then her old boyfriend, investigative journalist Yves Robert, turns
Susan
Cara Black's Aimee Leduc is a Nancy Drew for
grown-ups, but a very French one who lives in Paris.

This is another fun read in the series. As usual,
Aimee pulls together disparate threads while moving
along at rapid pace. (She seems to be a master of
time management.)

This story focuses on Kurdish immigrants in Paris
and on overlapping mysteries involving them.

Once again, Aimee is tres casual about her personal
safety, to the dismay of Rene, her business partner.

And, once again, Aimee's troubled romant
Francois
That should actually be 0 star. Full of the worst cliches, cheap tourist guide info about Paris and it's history.
But the worst is the writing. The author manages to at the same time make leaps and bounds which leave us clueless and repeating the same information over and over. The resulting impression is that of zapping on the TV while in each new channel seeing recurring scenes from what we've seen on previous channels.
Not for me thank you.
Elli
Another in the delightful Aimee Leduc Investigation series. Another visit to another section of Paris meeting the people, observing the area, learning of it's significance in times past and the effects on the recent past with more modern issues. Aimee herself is looking into her past and each episode offers a bit more about her parents, particularly her mother who disappeared when she was still a small child. This particular episode involves Muslim jihadists and other terrorist organizations ope ...more
Sharon
Aimee's thrilled that her on-again/off-again boyfriend, Yves, is back from Egypt ... and this time he's asked her to marry him.

Twenty-four hours later, he's dead, his throat slit, in the Rue de Paradis.

As always, Aimee can't stay out of the investigation; this time, it's really personal. Her sleuthing leads her into the world of Kurdish and Turkish emigrés, and into political problems facing the region in the mid-1990s.

For a change, I had a feeling about the "whodunnit" in the book and turned ou
Gail
Not, as one might say, my cup of tea, or snifter of brandy -- whatever. Although the descriptions of parts of Paris are somewhat interesting, I just couldn't get in the swing of this book. Altogether, I found the "plot plodded."

I really didn't care what cute little designer original the main character had found in some discount bin, over which she threw her trusty jean jacket, or why that could possibly have any importance to the plot.

The various elements didn't seem to work together very well
Ann
An enjoyable mystery of the lovely-and-spunky-private-eye genre, set in Paris with lots of descriptions of the city and its buildings and neighborhoods and many French words dropped in for effect (and, unless I'm much mistaken, occasionally misspelled). This is not the first of the series but it is the first that I've read. It seemed a bit dated because a large part of the plot is about Muslim jihadist terrorism but it's obviously before 9/11. I wouldn't turn down others in the series, but I don ...more
Phoebe
Here I am writing reviews on books that I finished half a year ago, without the benefit of recent memory to inspire more thoughtful consideration. And so the best I can offer for now are overall impressions.

My overall impression of this installment of the Aimee Leduc series: not as riveting as some, but adequately enjoyable. Maybe I'm just a bit jaded, but I didn't really believe that Yves was love-of-her-life material so the motivation was lost on me. It also seemed like Aimee was more reckless
Alice
So good and so fun - a lovely, enjoyable and easy read. Growing up reading Agatha Christie and having read them all, I needed a grown-up mystery fix. I'll be back for more Aimee Leduc!
Catherine  Mustread
Interesting twists and turns in this mystery involving Turkish-Kurdish politics and the murder of Aimee's old boyfriend who had just proposed to her. Started this #8 in the Aimee Leduc Investigation Series out of order, so put it on hold for awhile until I caught up.

Aimee's abilities make good reading but are beyond belief. Again the large cast of characters are difficult to keep track of but I made notes which worked well until the end when I lost the notes.
Babette
Cara Black makes me long to be roaming the streets of Paris that she is describing in her novels. She knows much of the city - the history, the shifting trends, the neighborhoods.
This book in the series takes place mostly in areas of the city that I have seen from the edges. Maybe on my next trip I will explore the whole of them a bit more. These are not areas that offer much in the way of tourist attractions, but they are areas of serious commerce and of immigrant influence. To know Paris is to
Monty
As usual, I enjoyed reading this next Aimee Leduc book. There are a few more left in the series for me to read. As usual a social/political issue was addressed--this time it had to do with Kurds, Turks and an Islamic terrorist group. More of her personal life is revealed, including an encounter with someone who knew her mother in the old days. I think this is a worthwhile series to read. If you want to try a book out, it is probably best to start with the first in the series and to read them in ...more
Cecilia
Aug 11, 2008 Cecilia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANYONE who loves mysteries
A great, colorful novel featuring Black’s continuing P.I. Aimee Leduc. Set in Paris, Leduc’s fiancé is found murdered and his death leads her into the dark work of terrorism and religious zealotism. Black does a fabulous job of bringing Paris to life through the story – the setting is important to Aimee and to the plot. The plot drags a little near the end and gets kind of confusing with the Turks/Kurds conflict, but aside from that, this is a strong mystery with a strong leading character.

Kay
Film of Cara Black walking through Aimee Leduc's Paris is on YouTube: YouTube Cara Black.

All this series (eight books now) of mysteries set in a Paris neighborhood are great reads--Black most notably escapes the "oh la la, it's Paris" syndrome so many non-French writers fall into. The setting is where the characters and stories unfold, and since it is my favorite setting in the world, I do linger over descriptive passages.
Val Sanford
Aimee finds trouble everywhere. With her Chanel lipstick and red high tops she can fit in everywhere, but she is not always welcome. In this mystery Aimee is chasing ghosts while a sleeper jihadist is awakened to assassinate a visiting prime minister. Since the evidence says the same assassin is responsible for killing her beloved Yves, Aimee can't just walk away. Black explores the world of Islamic terrorists and journalism in this book; I want more Aimee.
Powersamurai
Excellent, excellent, excellent. A real page turner. This is the first Cara Black novel I've read (passed on from a friend) and I'm hooked. I love Paris and reading this just takes me back there. Cheaper than the cost of a plane ticket. This book was set around Gare de Nord and areas that I had visited, so it was even more real for me. Hence, the rating. Others might not be so generous. However, the friend who sent me the book also rated it very highly.
Lou
Just okay. Interestng timing with what is happening in France but otherwise, not great.
Mark
The Aimee Leduc series continues to be enjoyable and I feel that Black's writing is getting better and better. One challenge I have had with this series is that the books require very careful reading. Otherwise it's very easy to miss a major development of the plot or introduction of a key character. With Murder in the Rue De Paradise I feel Black is handling these points much better - there is better build up so the reader is better tuned in.
Nancy
Another fast paced mystery in Black's series that transports the reader to Paris's Little Istanbul. Amy must catch a killer by unraveling Turkish-Kurd political animosities, sleeper terrorist cells, and a complex web of bribery to silence the truth. Aimée also learns a little more about her mother, who disappeared years ago.
This was fun to read as Black shows you the less romantic side of Paris, and weaves in modern conflicts.
Evelyn Harvill
I'm enjoying this series more as it goes along, and this is my favorite so far!
Sharon
Poor Aimée seems destined to a life where happiness is just out of reach. I enjoy the Parisian setting of this series, but Black's writing stays very close to whatever sources she uses for research and her tone is pedantic much of the time. I'll keep reading the last two books, just to catch up on the back-story of her mysterious mother. If that doesn't come to resolution I will have considered my time wasted.
Carolyn
Francophile that I am, I can't resist a murder mystery set in Paris. I thought the book got off to a really slow start, but eventually it took off and never slowed down. Once it got going, it was fast-paced with a complex plot that kept me alert and turning the pages. I found the characterization rather weak. However, I liked the book enough to read more Cara Black.
  • The Cutout
  • Death in the Truffle Wood
  • The Fourth Sacrifice (China Thrillers, #2)
  • The Jasmine Trade
  • Death's Door  (Special X, #9)
  • The Samurai's Daughter
  • A.K.A. Jane
  • The Rhythm Section
  • The Bird Yard
  • Tracking Time (April Woo, #6)
  • The Gumshoe, the Witch, and the Virtual Corpse (Gumshoe, #1)
  • Dervish is Digital (Artificial Reality Division, #2)
  • Mesmerized
  • Strange Images of Death (Joe Sandilands, #8)
  • The Pillow Book of Lady Wisteria (Sano Ichiro, #7)
  • Seven Tears for Apollo
  • The Cairo Diary
Cara Black frequents a Paris little known outside the beaten tourist track. A Paris she discovers on research trips and interviews with French police, private detectives and café owners. She lives in San Francisco with her husband, a bookseller, and their teenage son. She is a San Francisco Library Laureate and a member of the Paris Sociéte Historique in the Marais. Her nationally bestselling and ...more
More about Cara Black...

Aimee Leduc Investigations (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Murder in the Marais (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #1)
  • Murder in Belleville (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #2)
  • Murder in the Sentier (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #3)
  • Murder in the Bastille (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #4)
  • Murder in Clichy (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #5)
  • Murder in Montmartre (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #6)
  • Murder on the Ile Saint-Louis (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #7)
  • Murder in the Latin Quarter (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #9)
  • Murder in the Palais Royal (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #10)
  • Murder in Passy (Aimee Leduc Investigations #11)
Murder in the Marais (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #1) Murder in Belleville (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #2) Murder in the Sentier (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #3) Murder in the Bastille (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #4) Murder on the Ile Saint-Louis (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #7)