Start by marking “Silent Nights: A Christmas Beginning & A Christmas Grace (Christmas Stories, #5-6)” as Want to Read:

Silent Nights: A Christmas Beginning & A Christmas Grace (Christmas Stories #5-6)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Here are two holiday mysteries set in remote, snow-covered regions of Victorian Britain–where the nights are indeed silent but all is not calm, and where some will sleep in eternal peace.

A CHRISTMAS BEGINNING
While spending Christmas on the island of Anglesey off the coast of Wales, Superintendent Runcorn of Scotland Yard, a lonely bachelor, stumbles upon the lifeless body
Published October 27th 2009 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Silent Nights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Nights

Dianne
Oct 21, 2011 Dianne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
I've never been a fan of mysteries, but I am becoming a fan of Anne Perry. So far I've only read some of her Christmas novels and Tathea, a fantasy. I enjoy the Victorian settings of her Christmas stories and I like the way she writes. A Victorian mystery is going to have drama of course, but she doesn't go overboard, at least not in the ones I've read. I'd like to get started on one of her series, which include a series about Detective William Monk and another about Detective Thomas Pitt, both ...more
Lynn
Thought these were supposed to be Christmas stories but really weren't except for the time of year being December. The first story was like a bad game of Clue; hard to muddle through. The second story build up was more interesting.

BUT, these were "Victorian" in setting and in each story there was an awkward two or three sentences of one character asking if another was homosexual... what was that about?!
Teddi
Okay, I didnt finish it. I simply couldnt get interested in the first story. it seemed to involve the lead character doing a lot of walking all over the place and referring to a character in one of the author's other series (which I did not read) so the reference was completely lost on me.
I did enjoy the first 4 in the series so I might try some of the later books another time.
Julie
The first story is much better than the second. With storylines much thinner than her novels these tales move quickly over the surface, but with characters you may know from her other novels they manage to hold up.
Kim
Gives you a chance to see some minor characters in close-up. I particularly liked the one with Runcorn, which was a very human view of a very prickly character.
Carolin Atchison
I'm a big Anne Perry fan and these Christmas novellas have an air of redemption and Grace about them, which makes them one of my favorites.
Roger
I liked these stories; the outcomes made sense and very romantic too. The bad guys... and so on.
eyes.2c
Especially loved reading Runcorn's internal dialogue on life and loving.
Alberta
Two victorian christmas mysteries, the first one was better.
Angieleigh
Angieleigh marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Louise Ann Simon
Louise Ann Simon marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Lavonn
Lavonn marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • More Bitter than Death (An Emma Fielding Mystery #5)
  • Final Exam (A Murder 101 Mystery #4)
  • Death at the Bar (Roderick Alleyn, #9)
  • The Way of the Traitor  (Sano Ichiro, #3)
  • Cast A Blue Shadow (Ohio Amish Mystery, #4)
  • Mariner's Compass (Benni Harper, #6)
  • Wild at Heart  (The DeMarco Family, #2)
  • A Rose from the Dead (A Flower Shop Mysteries, #6)
  • Angel's Advocate (Beaufort & Company Mystery, #2)
  • Last Writes (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #2)
  • Jane and His Lordship's Legacy (Jane Austen Mysteries, #8)

Anne Perry (born Juliet Hulme) is a British historical novelist.

Juliet took the name "Anne Perry", the latter being her stepfather's surname. Her first novel, The Cater Street Hangman, was published under this name in 1979. Her works generally fall into one of several cate
More about Anne Perry...

Christmas Stories (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • A Christmas Journey (Christmas Stories, #1)
  • A Christmas Visitor (Christmas Stories, #2)
  • A Christmas Guest (Christmas Stories, #3)
  • A Christmas Secret (Christmas Stories, #4)
  • A Christmas Beginning (Christmas Stories, #5)
  • A Christmas Grace (Christmas Stories, #6)
  • A Christmas Promise (Christmas Stories, #7)
  • A Christmas Odyssey (Christmas Stories, #8)
  • A Christmas Homecoming (Christmas Stories, #9)
  • A Christmas Garland (Christmas Stories #10)
The Face of a Stranger (William Monk, #1) The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1) Callander Square (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #2) A Dangerous Mourning (William Monk, #2) Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)