Start by marking “Armed Struggle: The History of the IRA” as Want to Read:
Armed Struggle: The History of the IRA

Armed Struggle: The History of the IRA

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The IRA has been a much richer, more complexly layered, and more protean organization than is frequently recognized. It is also more open to balanced examination now--at the end of its long war in the north of Ireland--than it was even a few years ago.
Richard English's brilliant book offers a detailed history of the IRA, providing invaluable historical depth to our under
Published February 1st 2005 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published March 21st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Armed Struggle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Armed Struggle

Michael Schmidt
That a guy surnamed English came to write a history of the Irish Republican Army, its antecedants and splinters, is a lovely irony (one wonders how he prefaced his interview requests). Yet despite such an apparent setback, Richard English has produced one of the best comprehensive overviews of one of the defining conflicts of the past century, one that can only partly be read as a resistance to colonialism because of the very different approaches of the republicans and unionists to Britain, an e ...more
Deirdre
Having grown up through the early part of the war in the North of Ireland and studied this period of Irish history at an academic level, I would attest that this is one of the most accurately researched, balanced and comprehensive accounts of the Irish Republican Army which I have read to date. It should be studied by anyone with an interest in Irish politics. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
Rebekka Steg
Very interesting and perceptive books that shows both sides of the troubles in northern Ireland. The author manages to stay neutral throughout the book while telling IRA's story.
Jared Miller
This is a very well researched book. It has a lot of good information in it and is very well written I wish there where half stars so I could give it a 4.5 Out of 5. At times it could be a little dry. And although the chapters and sections are laid out very well, it jumps around inside the chapters making it sometimes hard to get the chronology at first look.
Maryna Chorna
Mar 22, 2015 Maryna Chorna added it
Shelves: 1
Maureen
English does cram a lot of information in this book, and while it was vastly informative, I think maybe he should have split up the big events in separate volumes. Clearly should only be read by people who are very interested in the subject material as I recently have been. Another critique was that it didn't give as much detail on the specific forms of violent acts that the IRA committed but I appreciated the detail on the UDA etc.
Bridget
It was a fine book, just tried to fit too much in and so everything felt rushed and condensed. Also concentrated on politics, what groups felt and stood for rather than what they did. I understand the author did not want to glorify the violence or anger victems, but the events probably needed a bit more mention to help this mess to become understandable to an outsider. Or maybe that's the point.
Chris
A VERY comprehensive look at the history of the IRA. I would definitely recommend it... if you feel like devoting several hours to this... The guy also does a reasonably good job being balanced (He points out police oppression and the sufferings of the IRA while still holding them accountable for their own violent acts).
Madeline
I liked this book so much that I sent Richard English an e-mail telling him! And he wrote me back, which was nice - I was just an undergrad, and not even a history major. And now we're BFFs. No, that last part isn't true.
Philippe Duhart
An excellent and thorough analysis of the IRA. Recommended for those with some degree of knowledge about the conflict in Northern Ireland. Not a book for beginners.
Elizabeth
Great book to describe the violence in Northern Ireland
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
C.Allan
C.Allan marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Suzanne LaVenture
Suzanne LaVenture marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Damon
Damon marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Conor
Conor marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Bengonzalez
Bengonzalez marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Steve
Steve added it
Feb 14, 2015
Daniel Petrides
Daniel Petrides marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Genevieve
Genevieve is currently reading it
Feb 05, 2015
Andy Morgan
Andy Morgan marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
  • The IRA
  • Killing Rage
  • Ten Men Dead: The Story of the 1981 Irish Hunger Strike
  • Bandit Country: The IRA & South Armagh
  • Three Plays: Juno and the Paycock / The Shadow of a Gunman / The Plow and the Stars
  • The Green Flag, Vols 1-3
  • Visions and Longings: Medieval Women Mystics
  • A Fine Old Conflict
  • Rebels: The Irish Rising of 1916
  • Nelson's Trafalgar: The Battle That Changed the World
  • A History of Bombing
  • Belfast Diary: War as a Way of Life
Irish Freedom: A History of Nationalism in Ireland Terrorism: How to Respond Ernie O'Malley: IRA Intellectual Modern War History Of Ireland