Start by marking “The Prodigal Comes Home: My Story of Failure and God's Story of Redemption” as Want to Read:
The Prodigal Comes Home: My Story of Failure and God's Story of Redemption

The Prodigal Comes Home: My Story of Failure and God's Story of Redemption

Published April 8th 2007 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about The Prodigal Comes Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prodigal Comes Home

David Santos
Nov 27, 2012 David Santos rated it it was amazing
I always wondered why Michael teared up in so many songs. It's natural for one but not 3 or 4. Then at one Gaither Video they prayed for him. that's when I knew I had to read his story.

A man who deep inside his heart loved God. Hit rock bottom. Christians rejected him. he at one point hated them for their own hypacrisy and here he is back in top. Preaching and singing Gods love. I learned something reading this book. I hope God will bless me with a happy life too. Great book.
Cindy
Aug 18, 2012 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most heartfelt "life stories" I have ever read! Thank you, Michael for sharing your story, your heart and your music with us all! I still say you have one of the most incredible voices in the world!! God Bless You and your precious family....
Kim Faires
Aug 29, 2012 Kim Faires rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moving story about a man's failing but God's redemption. I never realized that Michael English had gone through all these struggles and it was encouraging to see those who stuck with him. WWJD
Alyssa
Apr 01, 2013 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Goodreads Synopsis:

Eleven years ago, amidst scandal, sin, and shattered lives, Michael English fell from the pinnacle of the Christian music world. In 1994, newspapers around the world blared the headline, "Gospel Singer Named Artist of the Year Turns in His Awards After Confirming He Had an Affair with a Fellow Married Singer." From 1994 to 2002 Michael English's life went from bad to worse. Public shame, divorce, broken relationships, drug addiction, even homelessness. But in 2002, God reache
Duane
Aug 20, 2009 Duane rated it liked it
I've always enjoyed Michael's singing on the Gaither videos, so I was excited to finally find a copy of this book at our library. I knew already about his fall and the affair, but I had no idea about the drug/alcohol problem he also had afterwards. I admired Michael as he told the reader about is childhood and his walk into the affair, but after that, I began to have problems with his thinking. He seen the affair as a moral sin and that's why he felt he didn't deserve any awards for his gospel ...more
Zette
May 13, 2011 Zette rated it really liked it
I was very surprised at how open and honest Michael English was about his story of adultery, sexual sin, drug abuse and addiction. I began the book already aware of the affair but had no idea about the depths of his fall into sin. There was definitely a lot of detail about his sins but I felt that there were a few holes in his story. I would liked to have heard a little more about the spiritual struggle, guilt and shame that brought him back to God. It was there but just not focused on as much ...more
Todd Ryan
Nov 06, 2012 Todd Ryan rated it it was ok
Sprgrni
This Is a man's brutally honest description of a life utterly ruined by poor choices and ultimately drug abuse but it is also a testimony to God's love and the power and grace of Jesus Christ in healing and restoration. The closing chapters although a testimony leave the reader with the clear impression of Michael's continued vulnerability and complete dependence on God and the structure of continued treatment and spiritual accountability. The book was published in 2007. Much has happened in ...more
Stephanie Joy
Feb 01, 2010 Stephanie Joy rated it really liked it
I always enjoy reading biographies/autobiographies that testify to God's grace and faithfulness in other believers' lives. Michael English's story is so honest and humble in the light of his huge success as a Christian singer in the early 90's through scandals of an affair, arrest, and drug addiction. This testimony is a great inspiration for those who doubt that God can do the impossible.
Lori Schryver
Dec 02, 2013 Lori Schryver rated it it was amazing
I really appreciate his candidness and honesty. Though I realize we should not air all dirty laundry so to speak, I do feel we should remember what we've been through and be willing to share if needed to help out someone who is struggling with life...it helps so much to know that "dark" struggles happen to most people and that it IS possible to make it through!! This is a very "good read"!
Sherry
Oct 02, 2007 Sherry rated it it was amazing
If you ever wondered what really happened to Michael English then this is the book for you. In this tell all autobiography he shares his fall from grace and the redemption of his life. I had no idea of all the trauma he went through or how far he had fallen. But I am glad that with God's grace and mercy he has risen again.
Bethany
Mar 05, 2008 Bethany rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who listened to contemporary Christian music in the '90s
I was impressed with Michael English's writing (which may or may not be a result of his having a co-author on this) and found his story helpful and hopeful. If you have listened to his music - solo or with the Gaithers - I recommend this.
Eric
Oct 25, 2008 Eric rated it liked it
It's sobering to read how one bad choice can lead to another, to another, until one's life is a wreck. But as long as there is breath, there is hope. This book is a testimony of how God can right all of our wrongs and help us stay on the right path.
Melody
Jul 26, 2012 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing story of God's grace. Michael English tells it with humbleness, without pumping himself up. Recommended for people who are going through a similar situation with a relative or friend. It will give you hope to keep praying.
Joyce Oliver stahle
May 22, 2013 Joyce Oliver stahle rated it really liked it
Another great story about God's redemption and grace.
As Christians we can hurt the very ones who need to be shown His love and forgiveness. We need to be more understanding and come along side those who are seeking and struggling.
We need to be less judgemental and more compassionate.
Brent MacDonald
Feb 17, 2016 Brent MacDonald rated it liked it
A personal account of God's great grace in the lives of those who belong to him. Simply written, this memoir reminds us that though the decisions we make will at times create distance within our relationship with God, we are never outside of His care or reach. A life in progress.
Diane
Dec 23, 2007 Diane rated it really liked it
The story of a Christian singer who fell, and the God who redeemed him. A fast and interesting read.
Paul
Jan 15, 2009 Paul rated it liked it
When you screw up in a massive and public way, anger and drug addiction helps you to forget your own shame.
Gayle
Nov 06, 2011 Gayle rated it really liked it
Great book. About the life of a great Christian singer and his challenges. Every chapter leads you to reading the next to find out what and how he manages.
Jillian
Sep 03, 2010 Jillian rated it it was amazing
An enthralling account of one man's journey through mainstream Christian music success, his downward spiral, and his rise again through the love and grace of Jesus Christ.
Ali Huffman
Ali Huffman rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2014
Ronald
Ronald rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2012
Eric A.
Fascinating biography of one of my favorite singers: his failures and God's grace.
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2012
Linda
Linda rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2010
Carol
Carol rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2011
Andy
Andy rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2012
Emily McKinney
Emily McKinney rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2016
Alan
Alan rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2010
Chelsey Gilbert
Chelsey Gilbert rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2014