Start by marking “Training for Climbing: The Definitive Guide to Improving Your Climbing Performance” as Want to Read:

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This is the completely revised and updated edition of Flash Training, the fundamental manual for physical and mental training for rock climbers. Drawing on new research in sports medicine, nutrition, and fitness, the author has created a training program to help any climber achieve superior performance and better mental concentration on the rock, with less risk of injury. ...more
Published December 1st 2002 by FalconGuides

To ask other readers questions about Training for Climbing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Training for Climbing

Chadfredlott
Climbing is a sport that relies on balance and intelligence as much as strength. The mental state of a climber will often make or break an ascent more dramatically than the ability to do one arm pullups.

Horst's book fills about a third of its pages describing visualization exercises that seem to come from Autogenetic therapy, Scientology, and other Mysticism. This is not to be considered a bad thing as these techniques actually do work.

If you find yourself suddenly drawn to the Secret, you have
Meen
12/21/13: I actually started reading this in earnest today (had just been browsing exercises in it up to this point) because I'm gonna be competing in the Gay Games next summer! Woot! And while I would've guessed that my main climbing issue right now is lack of physical strength, I did the self-assessment in chapter two and turns out that my biggest problems are lack of technical skills and lack of mental focus/fortitude (i.e., I'm still scared as shit to make big moves). Oops! Definitely got wo ...more
Tomek
Absolutely essential for the climber who is focused on performance. Horst provides an excellent background on mental training, moving to exercise physiology and sport specific training, before diving into nutrition and recovery. Well organized and well written.

Edit: I just read the second edition of this book. Although there is some additional information, it is pretty much the same. There is some more focus on technique, but if you're interested in that, check out Self-Coached Climber.
Loucaspapa

Excellent climbing book, covering every aspect relevant to athlete; mental, physical, technical, nutritional and recovering. Eric J. Horst blends his knowledge and experience on climbing in a unique, personal way that make Eric your perfect climbing mentor. I absolutely suggest this book and I'm looking forward to reading more if his climbing series books.
Shelley
excellent book for the climber ready to move up a grade in climbing. The training cycles were well explained, with numerous exercises to choose from. I have been putting the 4-3-2-1 cycle to use (week 5!) and already feel much stronger.
Mike
The detailed plans for training specific muscle groups and injury prevention were excellent. It lacked in talking about technique (at all), but that wasn't the point of the book. It's definitely a 'bible' type book to follow
ɯɐɔ
Do I need a climbing book? I'm a competitive climber...and I read...but do I really need to be hanging off of Half Dome in my Portaledge, trying to ignore the whistle of the air beneath me, reading a book on...climbing?
Bernd Schiffer
I liked the detailed explanations of the climbing techniques, but I missed more advice on how to create a good training plan. Also the writing style is sometimes a bit lengthy and could be more to the point.
Adri Nurellari
It is quite comprehensive and provides great advices which I have already started to put in practice
Valia
For serious climbers it must be a treasure. But not for me (yet).
jackie
Dec 27, 2010 jackie marked it as to-read
putting this aside -- i'll have to come back to it later =)
Kevin H.
A bit dry, but highly informative.
Etwon
Etwon added it
Nov 23, 2014
Vinny
Vinny marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Hu Wenjuan
Hu Wenjuan marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Mariela Madzharova
Mariela Madzharova marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Vk Vibrokinesis
Vk Vibrokinesis marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Alanna
Alanna marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
  • Self-Coached Climber: The Guide to Movement, Training, Performance
  • The Rock Warrior's Way: Mental Training for Climbers
  • 9 Out of 10 Climbers Make the Same Mistakes
  • Rock Climbing: Mastering Basic Skills (Mountaineers Outdoor Expert)
  • Kiss or Kill: Confessions of a Serial Climber
  • Climbing Free: My Life in the Vertical World
  • Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills
  • On the Ridge Between Life and Death: A Climbing Life Reexamined
  • The Will to Climb: Obsession and Commitment and the Quest to Climb Annapurna--the World's Deadliest Peak
  • Auto Repair For Dummies
  • A Life on the Edge: Memoirs of Everest and Beyond
  • Touch the Top of the World: A Blind Man's Journey to Climb Farther than the Eye Can See: My Story
  • Woodcraft and Camping
  • Spinning in the Old Way
  • Guerrilla Gardening: A Manualfesto
  • Rainwater Harvesting For Drylands and Beyond, Volume 2: Water-Harvesting Earthworks
  • Making Wild Wines & Meads: 125 Unusual Recipes Using Herbs, Fruits, Flowers & More
  • Permaculture Two: Practical Design for Town and Country in Permanent Agriculture
How to Climb 5.12, 2nd Conditioning for Climbers: The Complete Exercise Guide Learning to Climb Indoors Maximum Climbing: Mental Training for Peak Performance and Optimal Experience Training for Climbing, 2nd: The Definitive Guide to Improving Your Performance (How To Climb Series)