Anonymous: Jesus' Hidden Years... and Yours

Anonymous: Jesus' Hidden Years... and Yours

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  29 reviews
We all experience times of hiddenness, when our potential is unseen and our abilities unapplauded. This book redeems those times by reminding us that though we often want to rush through these anonymous seasons of the soul, they hold enormous power to cultivate character traits that cannot be developed any other way!
Published June 1st 2006 by Integrity Publishers

Vic Cetina
This book is worth the buy. It really maes you reflect upon your life while it seems you are over-looked and forgotten.

God is not done with you! This season matters.

I would say ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ that is the theme of this book.
RoamingChile
I'm reading this book for the second time. I will endevour to read this book at least once a year, if not twice every year.

We Christians say we desire to be like Jesus... holy, obedient, willing, loving, in tune with the Spirit and all the other adjectives we can think of. What about anonymous.

Alicia Britt Chole reminds us that all we really have in the Gospels is a record of only 10 percent of Jesus' life. What about the other 90 percent? She deduces (shares revelation from the Holy Spirit) wha...more
Mandi Friedman
Absolutely PHENOMENAL book. I think absolutely every Christian should read this book. Chole talks about the seasons in our lives that we are unapplauded and anonymous. Nobody talks about the importance of these seasons, but everyone goes through it. And learning how to live appropriately in these seasons is not only imperative, but unconventional. She does not repeat herself twenty times with a sliver of variety, but rather compounds wise statements and displays how to live out her teaching with...more
Renee Reynolds
With graceful language and uncommon insight, Alicia Britt Chole penned the perfect book for me and this stage of life. I am thankful for her spiritual wisdom and for her humble willingness to work in seeming obscurity. Indeed, since precious few of us have ever heard of her, I think she knows something about anonymity and hidden years. Thanks to this book, more of us can treasure the hidden years of our lives and emerge from them with profound gratitude, as well as the blessings of anonymous sea...more
Andrea
If I ever wrote a book I'd like it to be a lot like this one in content, format and overall affect. Wow! What a writer. And what mature insight. Basically, she talks about how God cares more about the "unseen" times in our lives. These unnoticed, unapplauded, sometimes unappreciated times are the best times for building in us an unshakable character...like an iceberg. An iceberg is 90% under the water and 10% above, making it virtually indestructible. Jesus' life was 90% unseen and only 10% visi...more
Amy Kannel
A quick read—-the structure was sort of odd and choppy, but I enjoyed it. I was convicted and encouraged by her exhortations to be faithful and diligent in the small, hidden seasons of life, but also found it lacking in gospel. It tended to emphasize works an awful lot as the author stressed the importance of using anonymous seasons well. Still, the exploration of “Jesus' hidden years” (the first 30 years of His life, before His public ministry) was fresh, thoughtful and compelling.
Chanté Mccormick
This book was fantastic. It came into my life around 2006 and it was at just the right time. I didn't read it for about a year, but once I actually started, I devoured the information. Great for anyone seeking to understand a wilderness season in their lives. Good reminder that God has a purpose for that time and is using it to prepare us. If you understand this, you will not kick and buck throughout the process. After all, Jesus went through "hidden years" too.
Stephanie
I wavered between giving this a 3 or a 4. I really enjoy her poetic style of writing, and the last quarter of the book was pretty amazing and quite challenging, but her eisegetical style to the life of Christ is throughout and really what the thesis of the book is. Not that her thesis is necessarily wrong, just can be slightly frustrating. Overall though, a good read.
Kathy
This has been a great book to read as I prepared my heart for Easter. The author writes with creative imagery and deep application. Her chapters are short, lending it to great daily devotional reading. This will be one that I re-read in the future.
Ingrid Shanklin
this small book packs a powerful punch!Alicia Britt Chole is a deep and contemplative thinker it comes through in every word and engages the reader. You cannot help but be drawn in,coming away with a changed perspective.
Bo
someone recommended this book to our small group so i picked it up. i really like the idea behind the book, but not so much the writing style. it was a bit cheesy and christianese-y. i couldn't get through it.
Britney
This is one of my favorite books of all time. I read this book at least once a year. I find new meaning to the content every time I read it. It is beyond powerful. Every Christian should read this book.
Crystal
Amazing. For those who know a calling is on their lives, yet are not living it and feel it blowing away - this book is for you. It gives hope and purpose, a reassurance that God IS doing great things with you!
Megan Siegel
Great book for anyone who is struggling with where they are in life. This brought about a whole new perspective and embracing the unknown. Highly recommend for both men and women of all ages.
Al Gritten
Outstanding!! She gives an insightful look into the "hidden years" of Jesus' life as well as using it as a model for each of us as we struggle through the daily grind.
Wendy Davison

Already read this book once before and I rarely reread books, but this one is worth it!
Easy to read and will go right to your heart.
Netta
Aug 05, 2008 Netta rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all of you!
Recommended to Netta by: Chilly gave it to me for Christmas
Oh my word, the beautiful imagery packs a punch that digs deep.
So many times I've had to stop, cry, pray, repent, etc!
Really wonderful book!!!
Alicia
Such a poignant and timely read. Everyone in their 20s and 30s should read it!! Loved it! One of the best I've read in recent years!
Shaun Mcdonnell
I enjoyed the book but found myself somewhat annoyed with the liberties taken by the author to describe Jesus's unknown years.
Hermine Schaser
One of the best books I've read. It completely changed my perception and attitude toward every season in life!
Kelli Best
Took me a year to complete this book and really soak it in! An absolute must read!
Traci Eggleston
Great book for transitional times in your life. Worth a re-read every now and then.
Karileblanc
Excellent! 1 of the top 5 most life-changing books I have ever read. Def recommend!
Erika Schoen
Very insightful book. Left me with a new perception of the meaning of "dry seasons".
Ryan
Jan 29, 2008 Ryan added it
God uses the anonymous seasons of our lives to teach us His heart.
Greg
Skillful and insightful writing about the quest for significance.
Laura Confer

Perfect book for my journey in life right now.
Elena
What a delightful, yet profound book this is.
Allie
Beautifully written. Heart-changing.
Aug 31, 2013 Laura added it
Amazing and inspiring.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Finding an Unseen God: Reflections of a Former Atheist Intimate Conversations: Devotions to Nurture a Woman's Soul Sitting in God's Sunshine...Resting in His Love Pure Joy Until the Whole World Knows

“In seasons of hiddenness our sense of value is disrupted, stripped of what "others" affirmed us to be. In this season God intends to give us an unshakable identity in Him, that no amount of adoration nor rejection can alter.” 4 likes