Start by marking “Dancing in the Dark” as Want to Read:
Dancing in the Dark

Dancing in the Dark

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  368 ratings  ·  32 reviews
A brilliantly compelling Liverpool saga following the lives of two women - three generations apart.
Paperback
Published by Orion (first published May 20th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Dancing in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing in the Dark

Bronwyn Rykiert
Flo Clancy has just died and her great neice Millie Cameron is asked to sort out her flat. She is not looking forward to this but when she gets there and starts looking she finds lots of interesting things.

Millie does not know much about her aunt as she has not been spoken of within the family - there was a rift a long time ago. Millie's mother Kate, had only met her a couple of times as well.

They though Flo had lived a boring hum drum life but they were wrong.

I loved this story and I was happy
Sharon Reeves
I am not sure if I can put into words how much I loved this book, but I can try. It's crept up there with one of my all time favourites so far. The complicated Character of Millie, with all her demons, is very well described, in a way you feel that you are her. I could understand how she was feeling the whole way through the book. Coming from the North of England myself, I can relate to where the book is set. I could not put the book down, and enjoyed every part, I really did not want it to end. ...more
Denise
Took a while to get used to the different English expressions, but once I did I loved it. It was the story of two women, at two different times in history, and yet there lives were intertwined.

The story was deep and meaningful. It was the journey of the younger woman, trying to deal with life's harshness and finding comfort, strength and healing through the life of her predessor.
Sarah Sammis
I can't say that I connected with any of the characters. It was more like watching a series of train wrecks as the family continuously self destructed.
Fiona
Really enjoyed it and wanted to know what was going to happen next. Will definitely look for another by the same author.
Jo Barrett
Aug 14, 2011 Jo Barrett rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Jo by: Came across by accident
Another Book that I got gripped by and felt myself becoming part of the story. Excelllent read.
Nina
Loved this book, Maureen Lee is a fantastic author
Daniel Maguire
This book a very good book,wriiten by a very good author
Urszula
“Dancing in the dark” was very well written story of a young girl who found herself after facing dark and devastating family secrets. This story is a great example of how we as parents influence our children. How it is up to us to help them become great adults who can face life and any life changing decisions. It was heart breaking to go through Millie’s memories of physical abuse from the hands of her father and how it shaped her relationships with men as well as her low self esteem and self wo ...more
Macarena Inostroza
Una historia bastante larga, con muchos personajes pero que te va atrapando, me encanta como la autora junta las historias de todos personajes y la convierte en una.
Andrew
I thought this was a great read. I'm starting to like family sagas and for me this was definitely a page turner. I thought the characters were great and that's what a good book is in my view, that you can relate to the characters and travel with them on their journey. I definitely recommend this book.
Andrea Thompson
I loved this book and could hardly put it down. A great read and the best of this authors books I have read.
Paulette
I liked it but I found the "accent" difficult at times. Made a change though to read something different.
Karen Ashbrook
I loved this book. There were some great characters and all the different strands of the story wove together beautifully.
Eleanor Huteson
What I really like about Maureen Lee's writing, is that she can really get inside your head. She seems to know your very thoughts and puts them in writing.

She was able to help dissect the emotions of a battered child who's grown into adulthood, and give this character three dimension, as she grew emotionally with each page.

I loved this book. I loved the chapters as they went from the past to the present, which help to round out the characters. I loved how she had one terrible decision and secr
Sally
An enjoyable easy read - I particularly liked the structure of one chapter in the past and the following in the present. The characters were well developed and the two narrators Flo and Millie were likeable. It's the type of book I wouldn't usually seek out and although I did enjoy the read it won't be memorable. However if I came across another book by the author I would pick it up and give it a go.
Angela Martin
Si te atraen las sagas familiares como a mi, con secretos bien guardados, narrados a dos tiempos, pasado y presente, esta es sin duda la novela que te gustará. A mi me ha sorprendido gratamente esta escritora con esta historia tan bien contada que nos vas revelando el pasado duro de sus protagonistas que intentan superarse a si mismas.
Recomendada para evadirse con su lectura.
Julia
"Dancing in the Dark" was a highly enjoyable read. I found the book and the story to have a lot of heart but also confront serious and devastating family issues. It took a while to get used to the old-english expressions, but it wasn't a big problem. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone, especially the romantics at heart.
Ajelet
Este libro es uno de mis favoritos, es de esos que daría lo que fuera por tenerlo (lo cual todavía no ha pasado) me encanta Flo al grado que me encantaría ser como ella cuando sea una anciana. Este ha sido un libro que me encanto por la estructura en la que esta escrito, por las vueltas que da la trama, en fin lo AMO.
Angela
This book is great. Straight away I couldn't put it down. It's one of those stories that you think about all day at work and can't wait to get home and read. It's such a tragic tale of what could have been and left me heart broken. A must read.
Elizabeth
Another book that is a good "car" read on CD, as it is not so complex that the plot can't be following--passed the time, but not memorable.
Bettyjoy Engelbrecht
A lot more enjoyable than the last of her books I read. A lovely flowing story with enough mystery too keep you reading past midnight.
Suzanne
Unusual style for this author telling bits of peoples life stories one after the other that are all interwoven.
Pauline Wilson
this was a realy great read and keeps you stuck to page turning and lm almost sure lt was made into a film
Joanne Wood
Loved this book. Could not put it down!
Added to my 'will read again' collection
Alexandra
Really light, but it passed a coach trip to Brussels well enough...
Harmo75
Muy entretenido, voy a buscar alguno mas de esta autora.
  • The Grafton Girls (World War II, #3)
  • Don't You Forget About Me
  • The Beloved
  • Somewhere, Someday
  • Faith
  • Beneath the Southern Cross
  • The Butterfly in Amber (Chain of Charms #6)
  • Moth To The Flame
  • Salem Street (Gibson Family Saga, #1)
  • Mill Girl: The Diary of Eliza Helsted, Manchester, 1842-1843
  • The Dollmaker's Daughters
  • House of Illusions
  • Nobody's Girl
  • Lime Street at Two
Maureen Lee was born in Bootle, England, UK, near Liverpool during the World War II. She attended Commercial College and became a shorthand typist. She married Richard, and they had three sons, now adults. The last years the marriage lives in Colchester, Essex.

During years, she published over one hundred and fifty short-stories, before published her first novel Lila in 1983. She continued publishe
More about Maureen Lee...
The September Girls Mother of Pearl The Leaving of Liverpool Lights Out Liverpool The Girl from Barefoot House