Start by marking “Dancing in the Dark” as Want to Read:
Dancing in the Dark

Dancing in the Dark

A brilliantly compelling Liverpool saga following the lives of two women - three generations apart.
Paperback
Published by Orion (first published May 20th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Dancing in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing in the Dark

Sarah Sammis
I can't say that I connected with any of the characters. It was more like watching a series of train wrecks as the family continuously self destructed.
Bronwyn Rykiert
Flo Clancy has just died and her great neice Millie Cameron is asked to sort out her flat. She is not looking forward to this but when she gets there and starts looking she finds lots of interesting things.

Millie does not know much about her aunt as she has not been spoken of within the family - there was a rift a long time ago. Millie's mother Kate, had only met her a couple of times as well.

They though Flo had lived a boring hum drum life but they were wrong.

I loved this story and I was happy
Sharon Reeves
Aug 26, 2013 Sharon Reeves rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I am not sure if I can put into words how much I loved this book, but I can try. It's crept up there with one of my all time favourites so far. The complicated Character of Millie, with all her demons, is very well described, in a way you feel that you are her. I could understand how she was feeling the whole way through the book. Coming from the North of England myself, I can relate to where the book is set. I could not put the book down, and enjoyed every part, I really did not want it to end. ...more
Denise
May 24, 2009 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Took a while to get used to the different English expressions, but once I did I loved it. It was the story of two women, at two different times in history, and yet there lives were intertwined.

The story was deep and meaningful. It was the journey of the younger woman, trying to deal with life's harshness and finding comfort, strength and healing through the life of her predessor.
Jo Barrett
Aug 14, 2011 Jo Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Jo by: Came across by accident
Another Book that I got gripped by and felt myself becoming part of the story. Excelllent read.
Daniel Maguire
Feb 08, 2009 Daniel Maguire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book a very good book,wriiten by a very good author
Fiona
Jan 06, 2013 Fiona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed it and wanted to know what was going to happen next. Will definitely look for another by the same author.
Nina
Nov 25, 2008 Nina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book, Maureen Lee is a fantastic author
Susan
May 10, 2017 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read anyone else's review on this book, so as not to be influenced by other's opinions. I have read MANY books by Maureen Lee and have thoroughly enjoyed them all. This was no exception. In this one we travel between 1939 and 1999. Millie of 1999 is given the task to go through the things in her late Aunt Flo's flat in Liverpool. She discovers all sorts of interesting things - this book premise is used all too often these days, but Maureen Lee wrote this many years ago, so I can't faul ...more
Geraldine Makunda
Mar 19, 2017 Geraldine Makunda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Families can really be complicated, made even so with hidden secrets. I enjoyed the twists only that I really think Bel should have known about Flo's son.
Patrycja Pokrzywa
Mar 24, 2017 Patrycja Pokrzywa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book
Urszula
Feb 08, 2012 Urszula rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama, audio-book
“Dancing in the dark” was very well written story of a young girl who found herself after facing dark and devastating family secrets. This story is a great example of how we as parents influence our children. How it is up to us to help them become great adults who can face life and any life changing decisions. It was heart breaking to go through Millie’s memories of physical abuse from the hands of her father and how it shaped her relationships with men as well as her low self esteem and self wo ...more
Sophia Maoudis-Peever
Eleanor M.
Mar 20, 2013 Eleanor M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I really like about Maureen Lee's writing, is that she can really get inside your head. She seems to know your very thoughts and puts them in writing.

She was able to help dissect the emotions of a battered child who's grown into adulthood, and give this character three dimension, as she grew emotionally with each page.

I loved this book. I loved the chapters as they went from the past to the present, which help to round out the characters. I loved how she had one terrible decision and secr
Sally
Oct 07, 2013 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable easy read - I particularly liked the structure of one chapter in the past and the following in the present. The characters were well developed and the two narrators Flo and Millie were likeable. It's the type of book I wouldn't usually seek out and although I did enjoy the read it won't be memorable. However if I came across another book by the author I would pick it up and give it a go.
Julia
Feb 13, 2011 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Dancing in the Dark" was a highly enjoyable read. I found the book and the story to have a lot of heart but also confront serious and devastating family issues. It took a while to get used to the old-english expressions, but it wasn't a big problem. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone, especially the romantics at heart.
Ajelet
Sep 26, 2014 Ajelet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este libro es uno de mis favoritos, es de esos que daría lo que fuera por tenerlo (lo cual todavía no ha pasado) me encanta Flo al grado que me encantaría ser como ella cuando sea una anciana. Este ha sido un libro que me encanto por la estructura en la que esta escrito, por las vueltas que da la trama, en fin lo AMO.
Andrew
Aug 30, 2014 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a great read. I'm starting to like family sagas and for me this was definitely a page turner. I thought the characters were great and that's what a good book is in my view, that you can relate to the characters and travel with them on their journey. I definitely recommend this book.
Angela Martin
May 04, 2014 Angela Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Si te atraen las sagas familiares como a mi, con secretos bien guardados, narrados a dos tiempos, pasado y presente, esta es sin duda la novela que te gustará. A mi me ha sorprendido gratamente esta escritora con esta historia tan bien contada que nos vas revelando el pasado duro de sus protagonistas que intentan superarse a si mismas.
Recomendada para evadirse con su lectura.
Natasha
Sep 26, 2016 Natasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful, captivating.
What a fantastic author.
If you like historical / mid century fiction / post war fiction, you'll love Lee's writing. Thoroughly enjoyable.
These are the stories that you take with you on a holiday, and if you can't go, they take you on a holiday.
Iryna Andriyevska
I think, this book was the first book I loved so much that started to read a lot to find something as good as "Dancing in the Dark". Family drama, love that has no chances, understanding your own life... Great plot, good style of the writer.
Angela
May 11, 2013 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is great. Straight away I couldn't put it down. It's one of those stories that you think about all day at work and can't wait to get home and read. It's such a tragic tale of what could have been and left me heart broken. A must read.
Bettyjoy Engelbrecht
A lot more enjoyable than the last of her books I read. A lovely flowing story with enough mystery too keep you reading past midnight.
Alexandra
Mar 24, 2013 Alexandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really light, but it passed a coach trip to Brussels well enough...
Andrea Thompson
Jul 18, 2014 Andrea Thompson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and could hardly put it down. A great read and the best of this authors books I have read.
Monique Lovett
Oct 16, 2016 Monique Lovett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved every minute of it!
Jennifer Aiello
Aug 01, 2013 Jennifer Aiello rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent.
Samantha Pollock
Was a good read Maureen Lee is a good author only thing that was a bit confusing with this book was I was getting lost with who was related to who.
Nerida Fell
Nov 01, 2015 Nerida Fell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very complex family tree!!
Margaret
Oct 02, 2012 Margaret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.
  • As Time Goes By (World War II, #4)
  • Threepenny Dreams
  • Don't You Forget About Me
  • Miss Purdy's Class
  • The Cockney Sparrow
  • The Butterfly in Amber (Chain of Charms #6)
  • Nectar from a Stone: A Novel
  • Figures In Silk
  • Faith
  • Mill Girl: The Diary of Eliza Helsted, Manchester, 1842-1843
  • Lime Street at Two
Maureen Lee was born in Bootle, England, UK, near Liverpool during the World War II. She attended Commercial College and became a shorthand typist. She married Richard, and they had three sons, now adults. The last years the marriage lives in Colchester, Essex.

During years, she published over one hundred and fifty short-stories, before published her first novel Lila in 1983. She continued publishe
More about Maureen Lee...