Start by marking “Gefährten des Lichts (Die Magier, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gefährten des Lichts (Die Magier, #1)

Gefährten des Lichts (The Secret of Ji #1)

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  386 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Eine Insel, in deren Tiefen ein Portal in eine fremde Welt führt. Ein magisches Geheimnis, das um jeden Preis gehütet werden muss. Sechs Gefährten, die auf der Flucht vor grausamen Mördern einen schicksalhaften Pakt schließen …
Published January 19th 2009 by Heyne (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Gefährten des Lichts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gefährten des Lichts

Maya Panika
It's the first of a series, so the end is not an end. That said, this is a thoroughly entertaining fantasy read with a nice central concept, good characters - a pleasant mix of well-wrought personalities that I cared about, I wanted to know what was going to become of them all. There's plenty of myth and magic, but with with a light touch, none of the usual high-blown Fantasy nonsense.
It is rather slow to start and doesn't pick up much pace along the way - which is fine if, like me, you enjoy a
Andrew
Apr 08, 2013 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The setup for The Secret of Ji: Six Heirs sounds almost like an overly complex joke: “A barbarian, a mage, a bard, a warrior, and two confused teenagers walk into a tavern filled with assassins…” Some might say that this makes for a bad story, but in this case the fantasy tropes serve as helpful guides as the author introduces his readers to a broad cast of characters. This book isn’t the most original or captivating fantasy tale you will ever read, but it is more than sufficient to fill the gap ...more
Jeff Raymond
I get that this is a bestseller in France, and maybe the original French provides some better narratives here, but between the somewhat stilted narrative (which may be a translation issue) and the plot that doesn't feel like it goes far, I tossed in the towel about a quarter way through. As an Amazon Prime Library read, it would probably be easy for me to pick up again if I wanted.
harlequin {Stephanie}
It could be the narration, but I am near rem sleep while listening. It has some stuff happening... just not interesting me at all. Maybe it's the characters? Might try print version, but I truly doubt it.
Aildiin
Feb 03, 2014 Aildiin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, novels
This is the translation of a rather successful french fantasy serie written in the 90s. The book is rather short and the story takes a while to build up but it isn't bad and I plan to finish it eventually ( only 2 books have been translated and this is a 4 books serie). Character build-up is not a strength of the book and in some ways you can see the heavy influence David Eddings early books had on the author ( it is very reminiscent of the Belgariad in some ways), but once the action builds up ...more
Althea Ann
I picked this up because I got the second one in the series through Goodreads' First Reads program, and figured I should start at the beginning.

Apparently, Grimbert is a popular, prize-winning author in France - this is his first book to be translated into English. There are, at this time, no fewer than 13 books in this series.

'Six Heirs' is basically an introduction to the characters and the scenario. Long, long ago, a mysterious emissary invited representatives of local kingdoms to a meeting o
Gregory Lamb
I found this story to be an interesting and fun read once I got into it. The hook for me was at the beginning of the first chapter when Bowbaq, one of the main characters, has a telepathic conversation with his horse. The action begins immediately with a band of assassins who are on a killing spree.

The mystery of the heirs unravels when a few of the zuu assassins are taken down, revealing who they are after. Unfortunately this first volume of the series doesn't tell us why they are after the hei
Fantasy Literature
Sep 04, 2013 Fantasy Literature rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bill
Six Heirs, the first book in the SECRET OF JI series by Pierre Grimbert, was originally published some years ago in the author’s native French. Sadly, it does not import well, though some of the flaws may be due to translation issues rather than authorial ones.

The novel opens with a captivating story of how several generations ago an enigmatic stranger (is there any other kind?) led a group of emissaries from most of the nations of the Known World to the island of Ji, where they simply vanished.
Ea Solinas
Some of the best high fantasy worlds are the ones with a sense of scope -- you can feel that there are lands and cultures outside what you necessarily see.

And Pierre Grimbert constructs a pretty epic world in "The Secret of Ji: Six Heirs," constructing all sorts of different societies with wildly different cultures -- not to mention magical gifts like talking to animals in a REALISTIC way. But the well-developed fantasy world is somewhat hampered by clunky prose and a tendency to use too many "f
Ray Akerboom
May 26, 2015 Ray Akerboom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fatasy world but one that very much looks like ours. It is the first of the series Le Secret de Ji and reading this frst one makes you want to read on directly in part two. Except for the fact that this is currently being written, so patience is required... The six hiers to an enormous secret are the sole survivors of a large extended family of those that have some knowledge of the secret. But most of them have been murdered. The six survivors are trying to find out more about the secret wihil ...more
Asmos
Sep 14, 2015 Asmos rated it it was ok
Die Charaktere waren teilweise interessant, allerdings war keiner davon so sympathisch, dass es nicht verschmerzbar gewesen wäre, wenn er ins Gras gebissen hätte. Um ehrlich zu sein hätte das der Geschichte sogar gut getan, denn bis auf ein paar Ausnahmen aus den ersten Kapiteln gingen die meisten Zweikämpfe für unsere Helden mehr als nur glimpflich aus. Besonders gen Ende, wo sich die super ausgebildeten Auftragskiller plötzlich mehr als nur ungeschickt gegen teilweise unerfahrene Gegner angest ...more
Kahlan
Sep 11, 2011 Kahlan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Une saga dont j'ai beaucoup entendu parler, et que j'avais donc très envie de commencer, depuis un bon moment. Mais commençons par Pierre Grimbert ! Les auteurs francophones de fantasy ne sont pas si courants, il mérite donc qu'on s'attarde sur lui quelques temps. Né en 1970 à Lille, il entre tout d'abord dans la vie active en tant que bibliothécaire, avant d'écrire quelques scénarios de bande dessinée sans réel succès.

C'est en lisant les romans de David Eddings, un modèle pour lui, qu'il trouva
Michael Schmid
Nov 05, 2012 Michael Schmid rated it really liked it
Dies war also der Auftakt einer etwas umfangreicheren Fantasyreihe und ich muss sagen, dass er mich im Großen und Ganzen überzeugen konnte. Natürlich merkt man recht schnell, dass es sich hier eindeutig um einen Einführungsband handelt. Nichtsdestotrotz bleibt die Spannung nicht völlig aus. ;)

Gerade der Anfang hat mir sehr zugesagt und wird genial erzählt. Dann beginnt die eigentliche Erzählung und am Anfang hat man natürlich noch einige Fragezeichen über dem Kopf, was aber bei einer neuen Fanta
Alicia
Aug 30, 2013 Alicia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I would have probably enjoyed this book if, in the first 25%, I wasn't introduced to a dozen characters that pertained to the plot. Just as I was just barely getting to know one character or the other, that scene ended and I was suddenly somewhere else reading about someone else. After the, I think, sixth time this happened I completely lost interest and quit reading. I didn't have the patients to keep track of all the characters whose only common link was that they were all descendants of a gro ...more
Tifa
Apr 13, 2013 Tifa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tried this book for free through Amazon, and I'm really glad I did. I enjoyed the intrigue and mystery very much, as well as many of the characters. The author created an interesting world and managed to get in some decent character development and plot in this first installment. Unfortunately, the book ended with a pretty huge cliffhanger after not much resolution at all. Without spoiling anything, I'll just say I was a little disappointed to learn a portion of the "secret" and nothing else. ...more
Tasha Robinson
There are some interesting ideas in this fantasy franchise-starter, first of a lengthy French series—primarily, the overplot about a generations-old mystery, where representatives of many countries were summoned by a strange envoy to a remote island, where something mysterious happened, killing some of the representatives and marking the others for life. The story follows some of their descendants, who are trusted with part of the secret of what happened on the island; when assassins start elimi ...more
Burgoo
Feb 23, 2013 Burgoo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013, fantasy
My curiosity was raised when I read that Grimbert’s Ji series was a bestseller in France. My experience with French SFF has been limited to some comics and archaic Arthurian texts, so I wanted to see what Grimbert had to offer. Unfortunately, Six Heirs doesn’t offer anything that can’t be easily found here in America.

The setup is good, and out of the ordinary. Several generations earlier, a stranger traveled to all the various kingdoms & requested that they each send a representative to the
Clay Kallam
Sep 11, 2013 Clay Kallam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
The first of French author Pierre Grimbert’s series, “The Secret of Ji” (Amazon Crossing, $14.95, 282 pages) is the first of a series that I confess I'm unsure about, despite his European reputation. There are three more books to come, and should be delivered fairly quickly as the French editions of the series began in 1996.

I’m not sure I’m that excited about the forthcoming volumes, though, as Grimbert’s big reveal in “The Secret of Ji” is somewhat anticlimactic. On top of that, the characters
Gea
Aug 09, 2015 Gea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ook dit is een heel goed begin van een nieuwe serie. Wat ik heb begrepen is dit een serie van 4 delen. Het eerste deel vond ik wel goed alleen vind ik niet alle karakters even sympathiek. Leti wil als volwassen worden behandeld maar gedraagd zich als een verwende puber. Ik hoop dat zij in het volgende deel iets beter uit de verf komt.
Mihir
Apr 27, 2013 Mihir rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Secret of Ji: Six Heirs is the firs volume of this high fantasy French series that is not being translated into English. This book reminded me a lot of David Eddings' early work as well as a bit of Mercedes Lackey. The first book opens up a fascinating world however there's a lot more left to unveil and that I believe will be done in the latter volumes. This book however will not gain many fans that are well versed in the fantasy genre however for those looking to read stuff similar to that ...more
Alex
Jul 11, 2013 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had a very interesting plot. The world created was manageable (some authors make it easier than others for readers to adapt to their world and this author made it so it was adaptable and intriguing). It had a lot of mystery; in fact, in the end there were still mysteries that lay unresolved, but that's why I'm excited to read the other books. The characters were well defined and presented. I definitely recommend it!
Edward Rathke
Didn't actually finish. I abandoned it. I had high hopes for this French epic fantasy and I may try it again if it gets a new translation.

At least I'm hoping it was a problem with the translation.

Anyrate, it's a unique world full of clichéd writing, which is too bad. It was kind of aggravating after a while so I tossed it aside for a few months. Coming back to it didn't improve my disposition.
Chuck
Apr 13, 2015 Chuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little to slow to start then it got good.
Lindsey
I was intrigued by the beginning, but lost interest when the characters started interacting. It felt flat to me. Also, the author and I seemed to be at cross purposes, he wanted to focus on Yan and I wanted nothing to do with him. Others may have a different experience. good luck!
Sudha Neelakantan
plodding read, maybe lost in translation? like most of sff this suffers from poor characterization of women. i guess it at least got past plastic cutouts which was what i was treated to in the wardstone trilogy (m r mathias). am slogging through, but its slow going thro this first book.
Georgiann Hennelly
Six heirs is the first book in a series. A very entertaining fantasy book with good characters. plenty of magic and myth. A slow start to the story and a cliffhanger ending which i hope will be resolved in book two . Look forward to reading next book in the series.
Sommerschnee
Sep 11, 2009 Sommerschnee rated it it was ok
Shelves: august-2009
Auch wenn die Charaktere recht Interessant und der Stil okay war, war er doch nicht so ganz mein Ding. Zudem zog sich das ganze Buch etwas zu sehr. Vielleicht wird das in den anderen Büchern angenehmer, ich denke jedoch nicht, dass ich mir diese noch holen werde.
Eric Aili
Storywise ok, but got really annoyed at the tone of the main PoV character. The language was also quite "clumsy", which might be due to the translation. The Audible narration by Michael Page made the book thrice better though.
Tulara
May 03, 2015 Tulara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good start to what looks like a great tale. Well-drawn characters, each one a little more mysterious than the last - compel you to read further. Caution: first in a series...more to come! Good!
Amy
Mar 05, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding new voice in epic fantasy! I am so depressed that the other books in this series have not been translated yet. Makes me want to go out and learn French, so I can read more!

• Bal de givre à New York
  • Serments et deuils (L'assassin royal, #10)
  • La Louve et l'Enfant (La Moïra, #1)
  • Die Zauberer (Zauberer-Trilogie, #1)
  • O Crepúsculo dos Elfos (A Trilogia dos Elfos, #1)
  • Anders. Die tote Stadt (Anders, #1)
  • Die Elfen (Die Elfen, #1)
  • The Faceless One
  • Das Siegel des Feuers (Grim, #1)
  • A Curse of Kings
A native of France and a lifelong fantasy enthusiast who numbers Jack Vance, Fritz Leiber, and Michael Moorcock among his heroes, Pierre Grimbert has been awarded the Prix Ozone, for best French language fantasy novel, and the Prix Julia Verlanger, for best science fiction novel in any language. He is the author of thirtenn much beloved novels of the Ji mythos, including the series the Secret of J ...more
More about Pierre Grimbert...

The Secret of Ji (3 books)
  • The Orphans' Promise (The Secret of Ji, #2)
  • Shadow of the Ancients