Start by marking “The Night Watchman (Ray Quinn #1)” as Want to Read:
The Night Watchman (Ray Quinn #1)

The Night Watchman (Ray Quinn #1)

Eleven months ago, Ray Quinn was a tough, quick-witted Orlando homicide detective at the top of his game–until a barrage of bullets ended his career…and his partner’s life.

Now medically retired with a painful handicap, Ray battles the haunting guilt for his partner’s death. Numbing the pain with alcohol and attitude, Ray takes a job as a night watchman at a swanky Orlando
Published May 5th 2009 by Multnomah (first published April 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Night Watchman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Watchman

Janna
Aug 29, 2009 Janna rated it it was amazing
Yes, yes, yes! Awesome! You can tell when an author really knows his subject matter and boy does Mark Mynheir know about detectives and police work. Of course it helps that he is actually a detective, but he can really bring a story to life. Mark introduces us to Ray Quinn, a medically retired detective that was shot 11 months ago when his partner was killed. He can hardly walk now but is thrown in the middle of a murder/suicide at the building where he is a nightwatchman. From there we meet an ...more
Patricia
Jun 09, 2015 Patricia rated it it was amazing
I just have to read more by this author; that is all there is to it. The writing just flowed. Ray is a wonderfully drawn character. The mystery/ suspense kept me with my nose to my Kindle into the wee hours of the morning. I cannot wait to see what Ray and his cast of lovably quirky supporting characters gets up to in book 2!
Shorewalker
May 25, 2015 Shorewalker rated it really liked it
I needed a break from some serious reading and also a good "who done it" mystery. This book met the criteria. Well paced story with the appropriate twists and turns to keep you turning the page, results in a fast read but a good one. I think I'll look for more from this author.
A.J.
Nov 17, 2014 A.J. rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Great book. Hope Mynheir writes more with these characters, they were great!!
Hamman Banjiram
Feb 19, 2017 Hamman Banjiram rated it liked it
Not boring and not too interesting; it is above average. It fuelled the fire of investigation in me.
Seasielle ...
Mar 01, 2012 Seasielle ... rated it it was amazing
To start, I got this book when we went to the Logos Hope floating book fair. It ducked to Manila last Feb and stayed there until March. As a book lover or in simple terms - I'm addicted to books! Every time there's an event which showcases the finest or bestselling books, I'm present. :) The only time I'm maybe absent means we don't have enough money. :(

Upon hearing that Logos Hope has over 5,000 books to offer, I insisted my parents that we should go and take a look. I guess you already knew th
Crystal Starr Light
My first book from the Vine program, I thought this sounded interesting and I like mysteries. So it was a natural choice.

NOTE: I received this book as part of the Amazon Vine Program

Once upon a time, Ray Quinn was a cop. Now he works at as a night watchman at a condo with Crevis, a young man who wants desperately to be a cop. His life is pretty lifeless until one of the tenants, a preacher named David, and a mysterious exotic dancer, Jamie, are found murdered in the preacher's condo. The police
Bruce Judisch
Jun 21, 2010 Bruce Judisch rated it it was amazing
In a genre in which it's becoming increasingly difficult to find something unique, something fresh, The Night Watchman is indeed a uniquely fresh find. Mr. Mynheir delivers a no-punches-pulled story that delves deeply into the struggle between unrelenting evil in its most vile form and the tenacity of a man's spirit in its most glorious form--underpinned by the power of God's grace.

Ex-detective Ray Quinn, formerly of the Homicide Division of the Orlando Police Department (OPD), is a near-cripple
Natalie
Dec 04, 2009 Natalie rated it really liked it
Ray Quinn’s detective career was shattered along with his pelvis and a few other body parts thanks to the bullets that also took out his partner. The booze he pours down helps wash out some of the memories, but only long enough to help him sleep. Now, the most exciting thing in his life is the Sudoku puzzle he does each night at his job as a night watchman for an upscale condominium complex.

Ray figures life couldn’t be any more mundane and miserable, but he was wrong. An exotic dancer and a past
Sandie
Jun 08, 2009 Sandie rated it liked it
I ordered The Night Watchman expecting a good, solid, 1940's type murder mystery/detective story. I got what I expected plus a little more. Watchman is in a class of its own, and I'm not just referring to the well written story and interesting characters. This book is a Christian Murder Mystery......and if that sounds like an oxymoron........well.....it is what it is.

Author Mark Mynheir has created an intriguing, perceptive, somewhat flawed yet charismatic hero in Ray Quinn, an ex-homicide dete
bookme4life
Waterbrook Press sends out chapter previews to new books to notify readers of their new titles and to give a taste of what a book has to offer. As such, The Night Watchman arrived in my inbox. And I laughed and laughed and went out and got a copy to read.

About: Ray Quinn is a retired homicide cop, but not voluntarily. He barely survived a shooting now is stuck in a broken body with the glamorous job of night watchman at an apartment building. Ray entertains himself at work doing Sudoku puzzles a
Samantha
May 01, 2009 Samantha rated it it was ok
Recommended to Samantha by: Amazon Vine
This is the start to Mark Mynheir's new Ray Quinn series. It's billed as a police procedural and Christian fiction series. Not sure that it's real good at either. I know most first books in series are just to set the scene and grab you into the world. Well this one doesn't grab you. It's borderline boring and really unbelievable. You have to believe that the Orlando police are slow, dimwitted and can't solve cases once Ray Quinn is shot and crippled. He becomes a night watchmen where there just ...more
Bookmom
Feb 20, 2011 Bookmom rated it really liked it
Former Homicide Detective Ray Quinn has become a Night Watchman for a condominium, one of the few jobs he can do after being crippled in an ambush that took the life of his partner eleven months ago.

A pastor turns up dead in his apartment in an apparent murder-suicide with a stripper. His former unit believes it's an open and shut case. The pastor's sister convinces Ray to look into it, and things just don't add up. Ray's life is endangered as he uncovers a bigger picture that involves adult ent
Christy Lockstein
Apr 27, 2009 Christy Lockstein rated it really liked it

The Night Watchman by Mark Myrnheir is the first in the Ray Quinn series about a retired police officer who can't seem to get detective work out of his blood. Ray was crippled by an ambush that also murdered his partner/fiance eleven months ago. Now he's working as a night watchman at a condo that doesn't require any more of his skills than his ability to do countless Sudoku puzzles to while away the hours. When a pastor and a prostitute are found shot to death in one of the condos, Quinn starts
Heather
May 02, 2009 Heather rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars
Ray Quinn is a former homicide detective, who was injured in a shoot-out where his former partner was shot and killed. He is now working as a night watchman at an apartment complex where a murder/suicide has taken place. The sister of the priest who allegedly committed the murder and then suicide, talks Ray into investigating further, as she's sure her brother didn't do it. Ray reluctantly gets sucked into the investigation, dragging his co-worker, Crevis, along for the "fun".
Ray comes
Dale
Dec 27, 2012 Dale rated it really liked it
Pretty good thriller

I feel silly, but it wasn't until I was 85% done with The Night Watchman that I actually read the entire description on the back of this book. In my defense, it is rather wordy....

Anyway, it was not until that point that I realized that this was actually a "Christian" cop book. That doesn't bother me since I'm a Christian. But, my experiences with Christian fiction have been mostly negative. A lot of it is clumsy, to say the least.

So, I guess this is a long way to say th
Amanda
Aug 21, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, review-books
This is the first book in the Ray Quinn detective series. I received the second book from one of my review programs, so of course, I had to read the first one...first. I don't usually review the preceding books in these situations, but I actually liked The Night Watchman better than The Corruptible, so I decided to post reviews for both.

This is a "Christian" book, but Ray Quinn isn't the Christian. He's more of a smart-alec, stand-on-your-own, rogue ex-cop. His way of coping with the tragedies i
Crystal
Aug 02, 2012 Crystal rated it liked it
Premise: Ex-cop Ray Quinn struggles with his past as he attempts to uncover the truth behind a case that is either a simple murder-suicide or a tangled plot of political intrigue.

Of course, nothing is ever simple in a good murder mystery. One of the most impressive aspects of the book is that Quinn has a gimp leg that actually causes him physical and emotional duress -- it's not just there for show. Mynheir manages to allow Quinn (and his not-so-trusty sidekick) to develop throughout the book wh
Tabitha
May 05, 2012 Tabitha rated it really liked it
To be quite honest the summary on the back of The Night Watchman by Mark Mynheir didn’t make me jump up and down with excitement to read this novel, but it sounded like it had potential. And that potential didn’t disappoint. Ray Quinn, a retired homicide detective, stuck in a job as a night watchman and drowning his grief and depression over a job related disability in alcohol. When a pastor and dancer are found dead in the apartment building he watches the pastor’s sister cries foul and asks hi ...more
Elsabe van der Merwe
3.7 stars! Great story that draws you in - very enjoyable read! I'm generally not crazy about Christian fiction as the Christian characters & dialogue often seem a bit inauthentic, flat & stereotypical to me. There were glimpses of that in this book which was the only thing that kept it from 4 stars for me. At least these attributes weren't as rife as in some other Christian novels and the story was strong & interesting enough to still make it a good read.

The main character was like
Mark Young
Feb 17, 2011 Mark Young rated it really liked it
This was an introduction to an Mark Mynheir interview I hosted on my blog, Hook'em and Book'em last March, 2010. You can read the interview in it's entirety at http://hookembookem.blogspot.com/2010... for more about Mark and his writing:

A search for mystery novelists takes us to the sunny Florida coast today. Police detective and novelist Mark Mynheir visits us from Palm Bay Police Department (PBPD), an agency located midway on Florida’s east coast. Mark is a man of many talents, currently assig
Paul
Jul 21, 2014 Paul rated it really liked it
I picked up The Night Watchman at a Friends of the Library sale and was pleasantly surprised. Mynheir developed a wonderfully flawed character in Ray Quinn whose physical and emotional pain from his career ending shooting is felt throughout the story. This is a fast paced detective mystery that really shines because of this character. The supporting characters were all interesting and in the case of Crevis, kind of fun to get to know.

There is some need to suspend belief, especially the thought t
Shonna Froebel
Dec 11, 2012 Shonna Froebel rated it liked it
This intriguing thriller has the main character of Ray Quinn, an ex-Orlando police detective, badly injured in his last case, now working as a night watchman at an apartment building.
His partner, Trisha, was killed at the same time that he was injured and he carries that knowledge as a burden. When there is a violent death in the building he works in, he initially distances himself from it. But when the sister of one of the victims comes to him looking for help, unsatisfied with the outcome of t
Tim
May 07, 2009 Tim rated it it was amazing
I was pretty excited to see a new book out by the former Marine and current detective with the Criminal Investigations Unit of the Palm Bay Police Department. I assumed it would be real life fiction and it was!

The Night Watchman by Mark Mynheir is a great police/private detective story centered around Ray, a disabled former police detective that is now a night watchman. He gets caught up in a very interesting investigation and struggles with his own alcohol dependence, pain and disability while
B. Wilson
Jan 23, 2016 B. Wilson rated it liked it
Mark Mynheir (pronounced, Miner), has struck Gold in his character, Ray Quinn. This was a very entertaining novel in the genre of Christian fiction and Quinn is the perfect character to question the gospel of Christ. Quiinn walks us through a really well constructed murder investigation with a powerfully emotional tie to his personal life. It is a story that kept me turning the pages to the very end. The Night Watchman is a police procedural that would entertain anyone, Christian or not. Mark My ...more
Michelle Griep
Mar 03, 2010 Michelle Griep rated it really liked it
I'm not a huge detective/who-dunnit kind of gal, but I really did enjoy this one. Sometimes I forget that there's a whole other world out there besides historical fiction.
At first I wasn't sure about the style, but it certainly sucked me in after a few chapters. Either I'm not mystery savvy or Mynheir did a great job of keeping me wondering who the real killer was until the very end.
I liked the way the story brought me into an alternate reality--the seamy side of Orlando, Florida is way diff
David
Aug 08, 2011 David rated it really liked it
I picked this book up because it was based in Orlando, and it sounded OK. I found out after that the author was a well known Christian literature writer.. so it was with sceptisism that I decided to give it a go. I'm glad I did.. whilst there occasional lapses into religion depths that I didn't want to plumb, the story holds up well, and has enough pace to make you turn the pages. Overall, I enjoyed it, and would recommend.
Becky
Nov 01, 2009 Becky rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story! The mystery & suspense was just right, without all the gratuitous violence or sex. The characters personalities were engaging & believable. The Christian aspect was believable too; without an easy answer and yet simple in faith. I'm looking forward to the next in the series.
Nancy
Nov 12, 2010 Nancy rated it it was amazing
I don't usually enjoy books written in first person, but I had read some of Mynheir's previous books and loved them. The Night Watchman was no exception. The story and characters held my interest throughout. Mynheir's writing is evocative. Some of his descriptions were so well done, I wanted to read them aloud to someone else.
Linda
Jun 19, 2016 Linda rated it liked it
Bargain books for SEP at KB .89 I like ex detective Ray Quinn form the OPD (Orlando Police Department) He is quick witted but tough. After getting injured and his partner killed Quinn works as a security guard. A pastor is accused of murdering a stripper and then committing suicde and Quinn works as a PI on the case. Nice suspense. 3.5*
Great Author 4 11 Mar 26, 2013 06:00AM
  • Try Fear (Ty Buchanan)
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Fatal Deduction
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Indivisible
  • Broken Angel (Caitlyn Brown, #1)
  • Beneath a Southern Sky (Natalie Camfield, #1)
  • The Sweetgum Ladies Knit for Love (Sweetgum Knit #2)
  • Fatal Convictions
  • The Confidential Life of Eugenia Cooper (Women of the West Series #1)
  • Dante's Numbers (Nic Costa, #7)
  • More Bitter than Death (An Emma Fielding Mystery #5)
  • Dead Air
  • Made of Honor
  • Exposure
  • Where Heaven Begins
  • My Soul to Keep (Day of Evil, #3)
  • Cold Rain

Ray Quinn (2 books)
  • The Corruptible (Ray Quinn #2)