Start by marking “Death Before Wicket (Phryne Fisher, #10)” as Want to Read:
Death Before Wicket (Phryne Fisher, #10)

Death Before Wicket (Phryne Fisher #10)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,090 ratings  ·  93 reviews
Phryne Fisher is on holiday. When she arrives in Sydney, her maid Dot finds that her extremely respect-able sister Joan has vanished, leaving her small children to the neglectful care of a resentful husband. What has become of Joan, who would never leave her babies? Then while Phryne is visiting the university, the very pretty Joss and Clarence ask her to find out who has...more
Paperback, Large Print, 400 pages
Published January 1st 2008 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Death Before Wicket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Before Wicket

Katie
Phryne Fisher is on holiday. She means to take the train to Sydney (where the harbour bridge is being built), go to a few cricket matches, dine with the Chancellor of the university and perhaps go to the Arts Ball with that celebrated young modernist, Chas Nutall. She has the costume of a lifetime and she's not afraid to use it. When she arrives there, however, her maid Dot finds that her extremely respectable married sister Joan has vanished, leaving her small children to the neglectful care of...more
This book really gets 3 1/2 stars. As one of the longer Phryne Fisher mysteries, there are a number of crimes Phryne must investigate. She moves out of Melbourne for the time being & goes to Sydney to investigate the disappearance of a sacred papyrus, jewelry, and an indigenous axe from the university there. To compound the problem, Dot's sister has gone missing & is suspected to be involved in (gasp!) prostitution.

This one is a little different from the others because the occult plays...more
Ashley (yAdult Review)
Originally posted at Nose in a Book

In her 10th novel Phryne goes on a trip! To Sydney! It was nice to leave Melbourne for awhile, and there was a cricket back story and even a story involving Dot, Phryne’s companion. Yet this story could not be saved for me. It was dry, it was dull, it was boring. I missed the usual pizazz that is Phyrne Fisher in this story. Part of her is still there, but at the same time she changed a lot from the previous stories. Maybe that is because her lover, Lin Chung i...more
LJ
First Sentence: Sydney struck Phryne Fisher, quite literally, in the face.

Phryne Fisher is off to Sydney for a bit of cricket, sightseeing and to attend the Artist’s Ball. She is barely off the train when two young men, students at the University of Sydney, ask for her help. Exams have been stolen from a safe in the dean’s office and their friend has been accused. Phryne is also soon asked by Dot, her maid, to find her sister who has disappeared leaving behind two small children with Dot’s less-...more
notyourmonkey
Thoroughly enjoyable little academia-set mystery, but it turns out my ability to give a shit about Cricket Games In Posh-Set Mystery Novels Between The Wars is limited to one, and that vacancy has already been filled. Thankfully, flipping through those pages rapidly had little to no bearing on the rest of plot. But still, yergh. No faster way to kill the action than to put a detailed description of a sporting event that has zero effect on the plot in the first quarter of your book.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I was dissatisfied with this book, as Ms Greenwood brought far too many things to the table and tried to include them all. It reads like a ragbag full of jumbled scraps and bits instead of a patchwork quilt where everything fits together in a satisfying whole. Too many characters, too many burning issues, too many rants and not enough of a light touch.

Dot's sister has gone missing and Phryne wants to find her. Two university students beg her to find out who emptied the Dean's safe of valuable ar...more
Anna Wells
I do love and would definitely recommend the Phryne Fisher series and have read almost all of them but if you are planning to add this one to your collection - give it a miss.

The narrative is typical of the series but in this case the conclusion of the mystery was implausible and unsatisfactory and the side or B story annoyed me personally but I won't spoil the ending if you are going to make the mistake of reading.
Kathleen Huben
Phryne Fisher is off to Sydney where she solves the disappearance of a number of items from a collge safe at the University of Sydney and helps Dot locate her missing sister.

I usually enjoy Phyrne Fisher but I really could not get into all the cricket discussion. There were simply so many play-by-play descriptions of the cricket games that I lost interest in trying to follow the other stories and characters.
Deanne
Phryne takes a trip to Sydney, so a lot of the usual characters are missing. Miss Fisher has two mysteries to solve, a break in at the university and a missing person.
Lots of fun, though I was concerned about Phryne for a while, normally she's been to bed with one of the men in the book within the first 20 pages, maybe it was the heat in Sydney.
Nancy
This is my Phryne Fisher summer. I have been binging on Kerry Greenwood's books as well as the PBS Mystery Series (on Netflix). I am a huge admirer of Greenwood's character--a striking, savvy, smart girl who is more than a teeny bit naughty.

But, a lot of Phryne Fisher's charm was missing in this book:

I missed the elaborate descriptions of her beautiful clothes;

I missed her devoted butler and their household routines;

And, most of all, I missed her repartee with Inspector Jack Robinson.

So, a lot...more
Karen
Yet another Phryne Fisher mystery for me. I am getting a bit tired of hearing how very lovely she is in every book and how she is NOT a Gothic damsel in distress (I swear that description was lifted directly from another book), but I might kill for her wardrobe. ;)

This book is set in Melbourne, which removes her from some of her "minions" -- that was rather an improvement. As in normal for a Phryne Fisher book, there are a lot of mysteries -- some small, some not so small -- need to be solved. I...more
Jann Barber
Another in the delightful Phryne Fisher series.

My lack of knowledge about cricket probably caused me to drag out the reading of this entry. Phryne, of course, knows cricket, having played some as a child (not professionally, of course).

Phryne and Dot are on holiday in Sidney, but are also involved in several situations, and, of course, murder.

Many of the usual characters are here, which always makes for a comfortable read on a day when I want something to engage me but to not make me stop and wo...more
Grey853
Damaskcat
Phryne travels to Sydney - partly to watch the test match - but also to visit the university. Two of the students have secured an introduction to her and want her to try and find out who has stolen various items from a safe as they do not believe their friend, Adam Harcourt is guilty.

Phryne soon decides she agrees with them. There is a sub plot involving Dot Williams Phryne's companion and maid. Dot wants to visit her sister who lives in Sydney but finds she has disappeared and her husband does...more
Ivonne Rovira
Dec 01, 2012 Ivonne Rovira rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of British cozies or historical mysteries
The inimitable Phryne Fisher leaves her usual stomping grounds of Melbourne to come to Sydney for cricket and instead solves two mysteries. Phryne's companion and maid, Dot Williams, finds that her sister Joan, who lives in Sydney, has been missing for a week. The other mystery comes to Phryne via two University of Sydney students, Jocelyn Hart and Clarence Ottery, both the type of slim, handsome young men that Phryne so delights in. How can she say no to their request to investigate the false a...more
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: #10 Phryne Fisher, Investigator, 1928 Sydney Australia; historical PI, cosy thriller. Phryne comes to Sydney as she’s been asked to solve a case of burglary by a very pompous Dean of University, and to see some professional cricket - it was supposed to be a bit of a rest... Along with the burglary, she winds up in the midst of a missing persons case, family violence, “wild youth at college”, bohemian living deluxe (and not-so-luxe), mystics, fanatics, and poets, kidnaping and attemp...more
Jenett
I'm fond of this series (which I've resigned myself to reading out of order, because getting the early ones from the library has been a little tricky.) Fortunately, this is a series that allows that nicely (you'll hit details discussed in earlier books, but never in a way that leaves you totally fumbling.)

I'm very fond of the series. There are a number of fun bits, the 1920s Australia setting is fun for setting reasons even before you worry about plot and character, and the mysteries are suffici...more
Marianne
Death Before Wicket is the tenth in the Phrynne Fisher series by popular Australian author, Kerry Greenwood. It is summer 1928 and Dot and Phrynne take the train to Sydney: Dot to visit with her sister Joan, Phrynne ostensibly to watch a Test Match (was it Bradman’s first?) and dine with the University’s Vice Chancellor. Phrynne has promised Dot there will be no murders, but two handsome young Uni students have asked her to look into a theft of exam papers from the Dean’s safe for which their go...more
Kim
I get that Phryne is supposed to be this nonconformist free new woman. I'm about the most rabid liberal I know. But I'm getting a bit tired of the over the top sex stuff. I mean really, jerking off a college student at a nightclub? And then keeping the handkerchief around your neck as an amulet? Ick.
Jason Jorgenson
Tasula
You can count on Phryne Fisher series for a light mystery, where Phryne solves 2 or more mysteries while still finding time for parties, sex, good food and wine, and usually some charity work. She is charming and intelligent, and the stories are witty and amusing.
Regina
Audiobook

Phryne is back on the job actually doing the sleuthing herself again instead of delegating it to her supporting cast of characters. Egyptian god worshipers, a mysterious robbery of a college safe of random unrelated objects, and the disappearance of Dot's sister into a possible life of vice.

My only gripe was that Phryne seemed to push the disappearance of Dot's sister to the back burner to solve the robbery and possible false accusation of a scholarship student of no real means. Serious...more
Alison
The first Phryne Fisher book I've read and I recognised the plot from the television series. What fun. Phryne is a little different in the books to the television series - I like her in both. Great story.
K.B. Hallman
Perhaps it is my lack of understanding of cricket, but I found this book to be flat and dull. If this had been my first meeting with Phryne, it would have been my last. Thank goodness it wasn't.
Sara
Another good outing with Phryne--cricket, black magic, academic tomfoolery and snake bites, and, yes, of course, plenty of sex.

About halfway the series--gonna take a break now. :-)
Bonnie
President Josiah Bartlet: Now, I am an educated man, Charlie, but when somebody tries to explain Cricket to me, all I want to do is hit him in the head with a teapot.
Emilia
you can always count on the Phryne Fisher mystery to be light, captivating, funny read. and I was not disappointed this time either :)
Stven
Feb 11, 2009 Stven rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Here we have Phryne Fisher, the unflappable flapper sleuth, in her 10th outing, a tale of cricket and assorted evils in the environs of the university set in the Sydney, Australia, of the 1920s.

This was the second Phryne Fisher book I'd attempted, and this time her charms did not elude me. The patter is snappy, the slang au courant, and the startling talents and methods of Miss Fisher entertaining and quite correct for the genre.

I shall seek out another in the series and see whether my enthusias...more
Ellen
A bit much cricket analysis for me and all the guys kinda blended together. Still a fun Phryne Fisher book.
Sue
This is the second one I have read in the series and the verdict is still not in.
  • Anthem for Doomed Youth (Daisy Dalrymple, #19)
  • Whom the Gods Love (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #3)
  • Blotto, Twinks, and the Ex-King's Daughter (Blotto and Twinks, #1)
  • Magistrates of Hell (James Asher, #4)
  • The Twelve Clues of Christmas (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #6)
Kerry Greenwood was born in the Melbourne suburb of Footscray and after wandering far and wide, she returned to live there. She has a degree in English and Law from Melbourne University and was admitted to the legal profession on the 1st April 1982, a day which she finds both soothing and significant.

Kerry has written twenty novels, a number of plays, including The Troubadours with Stephen D'Arcy,...more
More about Kerry Greenwood...
Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1) Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher, #2) Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher, #3) Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, #4) The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher, #5)

“Come to the jacaranda tree at seven o'clock and you will hear something to your advantage. Destroy this note.'
No signature, no clue to the identity. Just what sort of heroine do you think I am? Phryne asked the air. Only a Gothic novel protagonist would receive that and say, 'Goodness, let me just slip into a low-cut white nightie and put on the highest heeled shoes I can find,' and, pausing only to burn the note, slip out of the hotel by a back exit and go forth to meet her doom in the den of the monster - to be rescued in the nick of time by the strong-jawed hero (he of the Byronic profile and the muscles rippling beneath the torn shirt). 'Oh, my dear,' Phryne spoke aloud as if to the letter-writer. 'You don't know a lot about me, do you?”
5 likes