Children of Chaos

Children of Chaos

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In a torrential downpour, Phil, Jamie and Martin-three teenage boys-encounter a strange and enigmatic man covered in horrible scars who will change their lives, their destinies and the very fate of their souls forever. When their encounter mistakenly leads to murder, they realize this eerie stranger may not have been a man at all, but something much more... Thirty years la...more
Published February 1st 2009 by Delirium Books

Gatorman
An amazing book from Gifune, one of the best horror novels I've read in a long time. Gifune has a real talent for analyzing the true nature of evil and digging into our fears and nightmares in a rather descriptive way. The story moves along swiftly and the ending was unexpected and powerful and left me thinking about it for a some time after, the mark of a truly great book. Gifune deserves to be much more recognized in the horror genre. I will be reading more of his books in the future. Very hig...more
Paul Nelson
Children of Chaos follows the story of Phil, Martin & Jamie, three young boys who in the furious rain meet a scarred man, his torso is described as ‘a hideous melange of horror carved into his skin like demonic brands’ and with the word Chaos tattooed on his back. The meeting results in tragedy, an emotionless act that will haunt them all for the rest of their days and an effortless violence from a young man that is shocking in its extremity.

Now in their forties the three have led widely sep...more
Bill
Jun 11, 2012 Bill rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
I finished this novel Sunday morning. Saturday and Sunday mornings are
my favorite reading times, so as soon as I was finished this one I
immediately went to my Goodreads list to decide what to read next.

Most, okay, pretty much all of my reading preferences fall on the darker side of fiction. But Children of Chaos did something that not many novels do: it bleaked me out.
I didn't realize it was happening at the time, but after I finished it, the whole thing began to settle in on me. The despair, t...more
Daniel Russell
Greg F Gifune is a writer who I haven't previously had the pleasure of reading. His book, Children of Chaos, is my first venture into his work. The title already plunges images of satanic kiddies running amok, but this is a very different book.

Three childhood friends find their lives take a tragic change of direction one fateful night. Finding a horrifically scarred man living rough with an odd book and a sword in his possession, they assume he is responsible for a child murder that had recently...more
Alan Ryker
Crushingly dark and brilliant from beginning to end. A masterpiece of contemporary horror.
Jeannie Sloan
Another stellar offering by an author who has yet to disappoint me. The more books that I read by this author the better and better I like his work. This is a nasty one. It was a little too gruesome for me but I appreciate what he was trying to do in how to portray a vile human being in the grips of a violent psychosis. This one is not for the faint of heart.

Again excellent prose and the character portrayed is top notch.

If you like your horror down and dirty and to going to extremes then you wil...more
Mike Redmond
Another phenomenal novel from the mind of Greg Gifune. Children of Chaos takes the reader on a quest to question life`s purpose, loyalty, reality, commitment, predestination, faith, and obligation. COC is a richly textured and thought provoking read. It is a story of how we choose to blend our human and spiritual experiences in a manner that gives us comfort in our reason for being.

The reluctant journey of one man to save an old friend and to honor his friend`s mother`s request sparks explosive...more
David Agranoff
I don’t say the word masterpiece lightly, this novel is pretty close to a perfect horror novel. It has a brilliant concept and it was enough to make buy immediately. Over the years I heard things about this author but it was the concept that really intrigued me. Basically this novel is a modern re-telling of the Joseph Conrad classic “The Heart of Darkness” set in north Mexico in the dessert outside of Tijuana.

Cool concept for a novel. The prologue reminded me of Clive Barker and Ray Bardbury, t...more
William M.
4 AND 1/2 STARS.

This is hands down one of the best horror books of the year. It's the writer's job to take you by the hand and lead you on a journey. However, Gifune doesn't just grab your hand. He yanks at your hair and pulls you by the neck, never allowing you to take even a single breath. He delights in smothering you in evil for 300 fantastic pages.

Children Of Chaos is filled with vivid characters and a fascinating and addictive premise. Gifune's writing is smooth and poetic and wonderfull...more
Bob
Mar 15, 2009 Bob added it
A very cool, very dark reimagination of Conrad's Heart of Darkness. When Gifune is good, he's among the best. And he's on fire in Children of Chaos.
Kurt Criscione
MEH... some good writing in there but didn't care for much of the story... will still try the other books of his i have in my TBR.
Harald Maier
Großartig, verdammtes Genie! Ein Schriftsteller meiner Generation mit meiner Art zu denken
muhd shamsul
muhd shamsul marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Nines
Nines marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Stephen Roach
Stephen Roach marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Lisa Sandberg
Lisa Sandberg marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Sebastian Hallmann
Sebastian Hallmann marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Natasa
Natasa marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Feb 19, 2014
Poeticdemise
Poeticdemise marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Katherine Wilson
Katherine Wilson marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The son of teachers, Greg F. Gifune was educated in Boston and has lived in various places, including New York City and Peru.A trained actor and broadcaster, he has appeared in various stage productions and has worked in radio and television as both an on-air talent and a producer. Earlier in life he held a wide range of jobs, encompassing everything from journalism to promotions.An acclaimed, res...more
More about Greg F. Gifune...
The Bleeding Season The Rain Dancers Saying Uncle Apartment Seven Dreams the Ragman