The NET Bible: New English Translation

The NET Bible: New English Translation

4.58 of 5 stars 4.58  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Published 2005

Dina (ReviewTime)
Please Note: I'm assuming that this listing is for the First edition NET Study Bible.

About the Binding & Cover
This edition is made from smooth finished Cromwell Premium Bonded Leather, with a Premium Smythe sewn binding. The cover has a smooth leathery feel, and rich color. Bonded leather is made from tiny bits of leather reformed together with latex binders to create one sold sheet of leather. Depending on the quality bonded leather is composed of 80% to 100% leather fibers. Bonded leather...more
slaveofone
Best Bible translation available! Unlike other modern Bibles, this is not a revision of a previous translation--but new from the ground up by specialists across the world. Although similar to (but better than) the NIV in its dynamic translation, the bulk consists of various note types like the Text Critical, which gives a strict/literal rendering as alternative. Detailed notes explain the reason why each verse was translated as it was, clues you in to linguistic, scholastic, and theological issu...more
Kristen Stieffel

I got this Bible free in the Olive Tree Bible Study app on my iPad. (Love that app, by the way.)

The translation was crowdsourced, which explains why it's inconsistent in places.

The editors show a propensity toward cliches, e.g., Isaiah 64:11, "all our prized possessions have been destroyed," where a note indicates the alternate translation as "all that we valued has become a ruin." Given the choice between the two, why would an editor prefer the hackneyed old set phrase "prized possessions" ove...more
Tony
As a translation, the NET Bible is OK. Sometimes it is odd, sometimes it is idiomatic, sometimes it is wooden. Sometimes it is painfully obvious that different people were primarily responsible for different books. Overall, it is OK—no better or worse.

The notes, however, are very good. They contain gems of helpful information ranging from connections to other parts of scripture to translation issues to cultural background and textual criticism. One caveat is there is a clear evangelical bias. Th...more
Andre
Jan 27, 2010 Andre is currently reading it
Shelves: bibles
60,000+ translator/study notes what else needs to be said? I really like the translator notes as they give you a peek into the methodology and reasons why they translated crucial texts the way that they did and the give phenonminal and even-handed references throughout!
Dan Haley
The translators notes make this an excellent study tool for bible students. Though you may not agree with how every word is translated, the notes give valuable insight into possible meanings. Also a very smooth daily reader.
Christopher
This Bible, although sometimes awkward in its wording, is full of great notes to help us understand the Scriptures better through textual criticism, text notes, and study notes. A great resource to have at hand.
Angie
I've never read this translation and I'm really enjoying it. I especially like the convenience of being able to read it from my iPod and the fact that it was a free download. It's awesome! God is good :)
Ruben
Go to bible.org for details on this one. This can't be found in any store I've seen yet. You gotta get it online. But it's worth more- way more- than you'll pay (which isnt a lot either). I love it!
Paul Landkamer
Profusely annotated with translator and study notes. If there's even slight disagreement on how a word or phrase is translated, it'll explain why they did it the way they did.
Charles
Aug 02, 2010 Charles is currently reading it
Dante Ferrigno
Aug 23, 2012 Dante Ferrigno rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone.
Recommended to Dante by: Rick Hughes
Shelves: favorites
I will never be finished reading this book.
Bry
Bry marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Leyira Deebom
Leyira Deebom marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Lourens
Lourens is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2014
Thanh
Thanh marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Ronald
Ronald marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Alexandra
Alexandra is currently reading it
Feb 16, 2014
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Loren
Loren is currently reading it
Jan 09, 2014
Julie Lam
Julie Lam marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2013
Shingirai Mutseyekwa
Shingirai Mutseyekwa marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
Merry
Merry marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
NET Bible First Edition (with notes) NET Bible Noteless Net Bible - Full Notes Edition - Black Bonded Leather NET Bible First Edition (with notes) Net Bible Reader's Edition (Premium Bonded Leather Burgundy Saddle)