Start by marking “Repotting Harry Potter: A Professor's Book-by-Book Guide for the Serious Re-Reader” as Want to Read:

A professor of literature for over thirty years, Dr. James W. Thomas takes us on a tour through the Potter books in order to enjoy them in different ways upon subsequent readings. Re-readers will be pleasantly surprised at what they may have missed in the books and at what secrets Rowling has hidden for us to uncover as we revisit these stories. The professor's informal ...more
Published January 8th 2009 by Zossima Press

To ask other readers questions about Repotting Harry Potter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Repotting Harry Potter

Adam Ross
Dec 17, 2013 Adam Ross rated it really liked it
Shelves: literary-study
A really fun book which focuses primarily on Rowling's use of puns and foreshadowing. He walks us through all seven books in order two or three chapters at a time. Beyond these basics of punning and foreshadowing, there is much genuine insight into deeper topics as well. One of the nice things about the book is that he isn't hesitant to point out inconsistencies or flaws in the stories themselves, something other Potter critics haven't much touched upon.

The book is not without its flaws and irr
Shannon Knight
Jun 23, 2012 Shannon Knight rated it liked it
This is a good book for people who are re-reading Potter, or any book, for the first time. It gives a first-time re-reader a lot of things to think about and look for. It's very elementary, however, for those of us who have been re-reading Potter for years, and who are experienced re-readers of literary fiction.

The conversational tone of the writing is nice to an extent but does become distracting in places; Thomas uses some weird colloquialisms ("what all" is a particularly annoying one) at ti
Missninelien
Jul 09, 2015 Missninelien rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, but the thing is: 99% of the things the author mentioned I already discovered on my own. I know I am a huge Potter aficionado who re-read the series quite a few times, who watches the movies regularly and falls asleep to the audiobooks every night. The huge, huge plus of this books is that the author refers to other sources many of times, which paints a bigger picture for the sceneries in the book or why emotions are portrayed in a certain way. For instance: The author ...more
Linda
I so enjoyed this book. Thank you, Kayla Weathers, for the tip. This book is for great lovers of Harry Potter and/or English teachers and I am both. The author is a college professor who ignored Harry Potter for a long time before reading the series and coming to love it and teach classes on it. The subtitle of the book is A Professor's Book-by-Book Guide for the Serious Re-Reader. I've re-read the series many times, so I was ready for this and it was timely, as I was reading it at the same time ...more
Jenn
Aug 09, 2011 Jenn rated it it was amazing
Fantastic re-reading companion! I wish our professor would have assigned this book when I took a HP class in college. :) Overall I thought it was a great read, and can be read without having your book collection nearby if you have a decent memory of the stories. I wish there was a little bit more on social commentary and more current topics, but I suppose you can only fit so much into one book.

I'd like to mention that it's also helpful to have a light literary background when reading this (but
Alyssa
Jan 02, 2014 Alyssa rated it liked it
I learned a lot of things I didn't know about the series before, but overall I felt like this author was trying a little too hard to find symbolism and foreshadowing in every word. A bit too much "overthink" as he calls it. But when he wasn't overthinking it, it was interesting, and the literary analysis didn't make me like the series any less. I do like his thoughts about why we re-read books we love.
Julie
Jul 05, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing
I reread the entire series each summer...typically a book per day. This year, I reread the series in conjunction with this title, taking my time, delving into the magic (sorry, but what other word fits???) of the stories once again. This was a great companion book for someone looking to invest a little time and reconnect to the story once again.
Jennifer Lynn
Nov 23, 2016 Jennifer Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
This is a fantastic supplement to the world of Harry Potter. It also allows you to re-read with new discoveries, making your re-read even more spectacular!
Ebony *LilKoalaBooks*
Jul 15, 2014 Ebony *LilKoalaBooks* rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any harry potter fan but not anyone who hasn't finished the series
This book was a lot of fun and the pacing of the book was just right. I never felt like it focused too long on a certain book or chapter ( although I do wish he would have spent more time on the last book). There were a few comparisons that he kept coming back to that were not very convincing and where it seemed like the author was just grasping for comparisons. I read this book a year after I had re-read the whole series so it was still fresh in my mind and his writing style was also very laid ...more
Carrie
Feb 27, 2015 Carrie rated it it was ok
Shelves: about-hp
I love all things HP. To that end, I periodically read books about reading the HP books. This book promised to be "A Professor's Book-By-Book Guide for the serious Re-Reader" but fell quite flat of that goal. First, let me the say it is obvious the author is sincerely fond of the HP books and uses the first chapter to make the arguement that the series can be considered a literary classic. However the chapters discussing each book had a very silly and pedantic tone (why is the author refering to ...more
Stacy
Dec 10, 2012 Stacy rated it it was ok
Shelves: harry-potter
Having never read a book about a book, I wasn't sure what to expect. While I think this professor's class would be interesting and insightful, I felt the writing was a bit pompous. There were countless references to other works, many of which I felt were included only to demonstrate his well-read background and to give authenticity to his ability to deconstruct literature. What I liked about it was that it was conversational - and since no one in my real life enjoys sitting around, discussing ...more
K.
Mar 19, 2013 K. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harry-potter
I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Having read all the Harry Potter books it's nice to know what subtleties I may have missed first time around, and what I should look out for during the inevitable rereads.

James W. Thomas' tone throughout is light and conversational. I never felt bogged down by descriptions or bored by his discussions, as can quite often be the case when people go about dissecting books.

Simply put, if you're planning on picking up your Potter books again, read this book
Susie
Apr 11, 2009 Susie marked it as to-read
Written by an English professor at Pepperdine, who pioneered a class dedicated to exploring the series. A quote from the author: "The books are very recent, but all classics were recent at one point. I think the elitist assumption is that something popular cannot also be good. So much detail is encoded in these books."
Jen
Sep 25, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it
Many, many good points made in these pages; some I had heard elsewhere, some were new to me. My biggest problem was with some spelling errors (Huffelpuff instead of Hufflepuff? Riming instead of rhyming?) But, except for those small, editorial problems, it was a good book and I can't wait to get into my next reread of the series just so I can put what I learned in these pages to good use.
April
Jun 28, 2013 April rated it really liked it
Very good companion book to Harry Potter lovers, those who like to analyze literary works, and those who are willing to look up the many references to other works that the author gives. I thought I would be okay to read this on my reading background, but it turns out that I have made many marks to do some further reading(never a bad thing!).
Sarah Taylor
Aug 01, 2014 Sarah Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved reading this so much. Great conversational writing style which made it fun to read but also made lots of interesting points and references. Mentioned lots of things I hadn't noticed before or didn't know about. Highly recommended for anyone who is interested in getting more out of the Harry Potter books upon re-reading.
Kim
Apr 21, 2013 Kim rated it liked it
Okay. Well this is a nice little partner read for anyone who does not pick apart books. I do, so I just nodded and agreed with much of this book. I didn't have any great, mind-opening "WOW" moments. I even have a few little things I find wonderful or questionable that Thomas made no mention of. Glad I made myself finish it, but will likely not read it or reference it in the future.
Heather
Aug 21, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed reading this book while re-reading the Harry Potter series. It was informative and instructive, while also being entertaining, and even touching. Professor Thomas has a style that appreciates the story and characters of the HP world, but also enjoys the humor and whimsy in the books.
Kaitlin
Dec 28, 2009 Kaitlin rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This was a fun read especially if you're like me and you've reread Harry Potter untill you're dizzy. :) But by the time the author was looking at the Deathly Hallows he was starting to bug me because he kept trying to compare Harry to Christ for stupid reasons. Overall though, it was really funny and interesting!
Cassidy
Jan 04, 2016 Cassidy rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
This book contained multiple grammar and spelling errors. The content was not much better; many of the analyses (70%) were completely ridiculous and could have only found by purposely digging for them.
Lotzastitches
Mar 31, 2012 Lotzastitches rated it really liked it
Finished reading this without rereading the canon. Still made me cry.

I liked John Granger books more.
Amber Koppenhofer
Apr 22, 2015 Amber Koppenhofer rated it really liked it
This professor explains Rowling's writing method, from her foreshadowing and symbolism, to her play on words. He really picks out the details that I missed when reading it on my own.
Rosemary Daly
Feb 05, 2015 Rosemary Daly rated it really liked it
This is a fabulous adjunct to the Harry Potter series. A must read for anyone who is truly bewitched by Rowling's master work. The insights are amazing. Will have to reread Potter again!
Oct 13, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
A little long-winded at times but it gave some good insight to a series that I have read so many times.
Kyle
Oct 08, 2013 Kyle rated it liked it
Enjoyable enough, but I was hoping there would be some more substantial finds from the author. Lots of interesting little tidbits, though.
HPFREAK7
HPFREAK7 rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2016
Becki
Becki rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2010
Ss
Ss rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2014
Julie-Ann Jordan
Julie-Ann Jordan rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2015
  • The Deathly Hallows Lectures: The Hogwarts Professor Explains the Final Harry Potter Adventure
  • Harry Potter & Imagination: The Way Between Two Worlds
  • Who Killed Albus Dumbledore?: What Really Happened in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? Six Expert Harry Potter Detectives Examine the Evidenc
  • Fact, Fiction, and Folklore in Harry Potter's World: An Unofficial Guide
  • The Psychology of Harry Potter: An Unauthorized Examination Of The Boy Who Lived
  • An Unofficial Muggle's Guide to the Wizarding World: Exploring the Harry Potter Universe
  • Gospel According to Harry Potter: Spirituality in the Stories of the World's Most Famous Seeker
  • Mapping the World of Harry Potter: Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Explore the Bestselling Series of All Time
  • Harry Potter and History
  • Reading Harry Potter: Critical Essays
  • The Wisdom of Harry Potter: What Our Favorite Hero Teaches Us About Moral Choices
  • Mugglenet.com's Harry Potter Should Have Died: Controversial Views from the #1 Fan Site
  • New Clues to Harry Potter Book 5: Hints from the Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter
  • The Science of Harry Potter: How Magic Really Works
  • The Ivory Tower and Harry Potter: Perspectives on a Literary Phenomenon
  • Dear Mr. Potter: Letters of Love, Loss, and Magic
  • Field Guide to Harry Potter
Dr. James W. Thomas, Professor of English, Pepperdine University.

Thomas' academic interests surround Faulkner, J.K. Rowling, Toni Morrison, and, Poetry and poetics.
More about James W. Thomas...

“How can you have an opinion, indeed a strong opinion, about something you haven’t even read?” 0 likes