Start by marking “The Prosperous Few and the Restless Many (Real Story)” as Want to Read:
The  Prosperous Few and the Restless Many (Real Story)

The Prosperous Few and the Restless Many (Real Story)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  529 ratings  ·  23 reviews
These wide-ranging interviews, from 1992 and 1993, cover everything from Bosnia and Somalia to biotechnology and nonviolence, with particular attention to the "Third Worldization" of the United States.
Published July 1st 2002 by Odonian Press (first published July 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Prosperous Few and the Restless Many, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prosperous Few and the Restless Many

The Shock Doctrine by Naomi KleinA People's History of the United States by Howard ZinnNickel and Dimed by Barbara EhrenreichTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Conscience of a Liberal by Paul Krugman
Best Progressive Reads
87th out of 448 books — 299 voters
Fast Food Nation by Eric SchlosserThe Family by Jeff SharletBeing and Homelessness by John H. SibleyC Street by Jeff SharletPerpetual War for Perpetual Peace by Gore Vidal
The Crisis in America
68th out of 78 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Guy
A gentle introduction to Chomsky, as it is a series of short questions and answers in an interview with David Barsamian. And by gentle I don't mean soft or empty of hard truths. Not at all. In very few words it is full of clear examples of the brutality of America's foreign policies and the role of the media in disseminating delusion. Even though I am very familiar with Chomsky's critiques of American global hegemony, I still came across some new gems. For example, here is an American intellectu ...more
Kony
Truth be told, I was poised to give this 3 stars... until I hit the latter sections.

The first half consists of mile-a-minute punditry on bad behavior by US state/corporate entities, at home & abroad. It might be brilliant, but you need intimate familiarity with 1980s-90s politics to fathom what he's saying. This I lack. So I felt like I was dog-paddling through a sea of vaguely familiar references.

In the second half, I woke up and enjoyed myself. Here, Chomsky riffs on class, racism, and h
Matt Sautman
Chomsky is a writer that is often polarizing, at least in regards to his political views. Classified as being a member of the New Left, his philosophy of government at times resembles the ranting of a conspiracy theorist, e.g the claim that globalization is transforming America into a Third World Nation for example. Although he seems to ignore, disagree, or not be aware of concepts such as creative destruction, specialization through diversification, and behaviorist experiments that could deflat ...more
É F.K. Ó Conghaile
Sep 27, 2013 É F.K. Ó Conghaile rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: to-reread
A series of interviews covering different topics of the time. I believe most of these interviews occurred in the 90's. He talks about things ranging from Yugoslavia, economic warfare, racism, nonviolence, and that forbidden five-letter word - Class. Short and to the point (unlike all of his talks), and important to read even if a bit outdated.
Belinda Lorenzana
Entrevistado por David Barsamian a principios de los noventa, Noam Chomsky habla del Tratado de Libre Comercio, de la relación entre Estados Unidos e Israel, de la invasión británica en India y del racismo entre otros temas.

Para adjetivar: lúcido, esclarecedor, observador y agudo. Aquí un par de citas:

Sobre el hecho de que, durante el dominio británico en India, nunca hubo más de 150 mil ingleses en el país asiático: "Si Estados Unidos hubiese sido conquistado por Rusia, Ronald Reagan, George Bu
Thomas Pfaff
Aug 25, 2007 Thomas Pfaff rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: socialists / anarchists
Shelves: politicshistory
Read it, liked it but I have to admit- this is the book that made a conservative out of me. It pushed me from being a moderate into taking a side (more generally anyway) towards conservative views.

Chomsky's attitude is heavy-handed. Although he addresses issues that both conservatives and liberals could have real discussions about, he kind of comes up short, polarizing both sides against each other.

You could argue that Chomsky was in this regard a pioneer, since now it is ever-more popular to be
Patrick
Acts as a pretty good introduction, I suppose. The interview format allows for a nice colloquial feel, but ultimately I wish everything covered were gone into with greater depth. Definitely some interesting stuff in there, but then the subject is changed before you know it. I'd probably rather read something actually written than just a transcription of an interview.
Baihaqi Saharun
a good and quick introductory read for novice in IR and chomsky, he is one hell of unamerican american!.
C. Scott
Classic quick Chomsky.
Jesse Liddell
Like a lot of political books, it really makes you want to take action! A lot is covered in this small book, some of which include: free market exploitation, U.S. aided genocides, to racism. Overall, a lot of Chomsky's evidence and remarks on some of these topics are brief and blunt -- I wish he'd use foot/endnotes to denote some of his sources.

Not the best political book I've ever read, but it was alright.
Eric
Essential. Set up in interview format, and VERY accessable. Good stuff. The dated elements (discussions of how the conflicts in the Blakans were unfolding at the time) are not something that detracts from this. Really great. I hadn't read this stuff for years, and it's as good or better than I remember!
Bradley Hanson
Like most of what Chomsky has written decades ago, this is truer today than ever before. The 1% is enjoying record profits, while the rest of us fight for the scraps. Anyone who still doesn't laugh at the farce of "trickle down" is deliberately putting their head in the sand.
Jon Hurd
More of aninterview with David Barsamian than essays, I found this book extremely interesting. Even though it was written in the 1990's all of the text could apply today as well.
Nativeabuse
Another generic Chomsky interview book from the 90s, I'm about over the guy, at least in terms of these interview books, I feel like I'd much rather try reading some of his more composed books than this stuff.
Katie
Short and a bit outdated. It seems to me nearly impossible to condense Chomsky in such a tiny book, and I don’t think it does the topics enough justice. Interesting criticisms, easy introductory read.
Travis
I have read many of Chomsky's small books, and can't remember the details of each one, but they are easier for me to read entirely than his bigger books.
Victoria
this series of interviews brings some good energy to the chomsky legacy. i was glad to hear chomsky's 'spoken' voice maintained in these interview excerpts.
Jacob
excerpts from three interviews covered more fully in "Keeping the Rabble In Line"
Jessica
A book that I'd love my brother to read but he probably never will.
Tedwood Strong
Someone should Tell Noam to stop making so much sense.
Mark Janowiak
Noam is Noam. This is 17 yrs old so a bit antiquated.
Bloblo
Also, one of the first Chomsky books for me to read. Great for beginners on what he has to say. Short in length and small (could fit in your pocket). Like some other books with Chomsky, this is done in a sort of q&a format. This and two others in the series are highly recommended for Chomsky beginners.
Humberto Iloccip
Humberto Iloccip marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Sam Eason
Sam Eason marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Bilal Kamal
Bilal Kamal marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Colin
Colin marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
  • On the Justice of Roosting Chickens: Consequences of American Conquest & Carnage
  • Recipes for Disaster: An Anarchist Cookbook
  • The Coming Insurrection
  • What We Leave Behind
  • Pirate Utopias: Moorish Corsairs & European Renegadoes
  • Black Flame: The Revolutionary Class Politics of Anarchism and Syndicalism (Counter-Power vol 1)
  • Existencilism
  • Bakunin: The Creative Passion
  • Proposed Roads to Freedom: Socialism, Anarchism and Syndicalism
  • Anarchism
  • Chomsky for Beginners
  • Anarchism: Arguments For and Against
  • Barefoot Gen, Volume Four: Out of the Ashes
  • The Conservative Nanny State: How the Wealthy Use the Government to Stay Rich and Get Richer
  • Socialism: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Decline and Fall of the American Empire
  • Mythmakers and Lawbreakers: Anarchist Writers on Fiction
  • Democracy for the Few
Avram Noam Chomsky is an American linguist, philosopher, political activist, author, and lecturer. He is an Institute Professor and professor emeritus of linguistics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Chomsky is credited with the creation of the theory of generative grammar, considered to be one of the most significant contributions to the field of linguistics made in the 20th century. H
More about Noam Chomsky...
Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance Understanding Power: The Indispensable Chomsky Failed States: The Abuse of Power and the Assault on Democracy Profit Over People: Neoliberalism and Global Order