The Book of Dads: Essays on the Joys, Perils, and Humiliations of Fatherhood

The Book of Dads: Essays on the Joys, Perils, and Humiliations of Fatherhood

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  15 reviews

A COLLECTION OF TWENTY ESSAYS ABOUT THE JOB NO MAN CAN EVER BE TRULY PREPARED FOR: FATHERHOOD

"A generation of men reinvents fatherhood and discovers that beyond the anxiety, beyond the slip-ups and pratfalls, beyond the woeful self-revelations, beyond the burdens, beyond the diaper-changing and PTA meetings and tuition bills, beyond the unexpected intensity of the thing,

Published May 12th 2009 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 2009)

John
I have a 3-month-old girl (my first), so I’ve been reading a lot of books on fatherhood lately. On the one hand I have learned a lot from them and I’ve never gotten so many approving looks from women on the subway, but on the other, they’re mostly pretty badly written. Actually, maybe “badly” is the wrong word – they’re just not written with entertaining me in mind. I have to say, I generally look forward to reading my baby’s books to her more.

Enter The Book of Dads. Over this summer I’ve used t...more
Liz
Don't take it from me, take it from these writers. A great Father's Day gift under $20.

“Want to sit around with some really sharp, articulate men and find out what scares the hell out of them and breaks their hearts and makes their existence worthwhile? Read this book.”
— Kelly Corrigan, New York Times bestselling author of The Middle Place

“Finally a book for us. Being a father is harrowing, life affirming, traumatic, astonishing, and hysterically funny—the totality of which is captured in the...more
Angie
I'm not sure if I should rate books that I didn't finish reading...but that said, I only sort of liked some of the essays in this book. When it was due back to the library I didn't like it well enough to finish reading it and accumulate the fines. (Unlike the $12.00 fine I have on "Fast Food Nation" because I couldn't bring myself to return it until I'd finished it! It might be cheaper to buy it at this point.) Maybe there would have been some essays towards the end of the book that I'd have lik...more
April
This was a fantastic anthology. Steve read it to me, and the stories really spoke to him. I checked it out of the library for him for Father's Day. The dads in there were very accessible and down to earth. Some dads were sentimental, some clearly immature, and at least half of the stories were down right funny, but the stories were warm and honest. Only a few were extra sad. I think we both felt better for having read these stories. I liked too that this anthology touched on all sorts of parenti...more
Nicole
Jun 12, 2009 Nicole added it Recommends it for: new dads...and old dads...and sons of dads
Shelves: hbs-events
A strange but entertaining event.

Ben George was more awkward that I would have expected from a man who had to work with all these authors and organize a whole book. Steve Almond was as sarcastic and slightly inappropriate as ever. And Jenny Boylan was delightful onstage (though a bit shifty one-on-one). Props to George for including her on a book of Dads.f

Favorite quote: "I'm a big fan of thumbs. I can't get enough thumbs" Ben George's flirty pilot brother.

Favorite visual: watching short, baldin...more
Rick Pendrick
After only the first few chapters, I find the book an entertaining read. I see parallels not only to my own father, but also to myself as the father of a just-married young man. Each chapter seems a view of fatherhood/parenthood from a different perspective.
TJ
This one was hit or miss, some of the essays were really good, and others were very cliche. But overall pretty solid. The book covers fatherhood from a variety of ages, so it's one I might return to in a few years to review the essays about older kids.
Dan
Really enjoyed this collection, though I have to admit to liking some of the essays way more than others. Probably should be required reading for all new fathers to help them get through the tough times as well as cherish the good times more.
The author complied this book as a response to his wife reading "Operating Instructions" by Annie Lamott. Some of the essays are great, others only so-so. A nice try, but not quite up to the level I think he was trying to get to.
Katlet
I've read a ton of books about mothering, but never a book from a father's perspective. I enjoyed this book of essays about fatherhood and felt I could connect to most of the authors.
Aaron Ryba
Sep 16, 2009 Aaron Ryba is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Some great, hilarious essays. Short stories are always a good format for those who have a short attention span, especially those of us who are fathers.
Sean
Some really wonderful essays on what it means to be a Dad--or a son. Moving between heartwarming, poignant or just outright hilarious. Great stuff.
Miranda
Really sweet and insightful (as I'm not ever going to be a dad or anything). Made me call my dad.
Tomherndon
Every dad's dive into fatherhood is unique. Some are uniquer than others.
Ayelet Waldman
Some of these essays were terrific.
Scott Bramwell
Scott Bramwell marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Richard
Richard is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Saidah
Saidah marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Bryan Pistole
Bryan Pistole marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2013
Ricky Shetty
Ricky Shetty marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2013
Guy
Guy added it
Jun 25, 2013
Claire Lombardo
Claire Lombardo marked it as to-read
May 16, 2013
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 03, 2013
Agung
Agung added it
Apr 25, 2013
Lydia
Lydia marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2013
Bryan
Bryan added it
Jul 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Ecotone: Reimagining Place (Remembrance) Where In The World, When In The World?: An Introduction To Travel Geography And International Time