Start by marking “White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)” as Want to Read:
White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)

White Lies (The Arcane Society #2)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,960 Ratings  ·  326 Reviews
Clare Lancaster has a psychic talent for perceiving lies and deception in others. Passion ignites immediately between Jake, an undercover agent of the Arcane Society, and Clare, but each knows that the other is keeping dark secrets.
Unknown Binding, 371 pages
Published January 25th 2007 by Not Avail (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about White Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Lies

Robin (Bridge Four)
This is a slightly confusing series. I read the first book in the Arcane Society and enjoyed the HR/PNR aspect of it then I was eager to read the second book in the series and I didn’t look at the synopsis or anything just picked it up and thought that maybe it would be about one of the siblings from the first book. Imagine my confusion when it wasn’t about a sibling from Second Sight or anyone from Second sight because it is set in present day.

I then thought that I had purchased the wrong book
Lizzy
So you know I am a fan of the Arcane Society series, despite my initial reluctance to start it and the lateness in posting my reviews. Now I am in the processing of revisiting it all, and I am really enjoying reading it once more and going back and forth in time. I found it gives you a different perspective and added to my overall enjoyment. Whether as Jayne Ann Krentz or Amanda Quick, I love her writing and creative stories!

White Lies, is the kick of the Nightshade plotline set in contemporary
Sheree
Feb 25, 2009 Sheree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sheree by: Lara
There were a number of things I really enjoyed about this book.
This story had a strong suspenseful plot & being uncertain of the killer until 3/4 of the way through the novel was quite refreshing. I also thoroughly enjoyed the steamy romantic sub-plot.

Clare Lancaster is a level 10 parasensitive who's psychic ability is to read lies. Jake Salter is a level 10 hunter, freelancing for Jones & Jones an investigative agency in the Arcane Society, who's purpose is to protect the formula that
Lyndi
May 15, 2016 Lyndi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars I really like this author because I never know who the villain is until The Big Reveal. Unfortunately, that means I have a hard time putting it down. I sit down with a book when the baby goes to sleep and the next thing I know, I've finished the book and see that it's almost five in the morning. I need eye drops, my eyes are scratchy. It was worth it.

I liked our main characters, Clare and Jake. They were both alphas and I always enjoy that pairing when the woman isn't a bitch and the m
~Leslie~
Mar 15, 2012 ~Leslie~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paper-copy, re-read
This is a re-reading of this book and it's the second in the Arcane Series. I love JAK and I really enjoyed this story and I love how she is mixing historical fiction and contemporary fiction in one series about the Arcane Society, a parapsychological organization made up of individuals who have extra- sensory abilities. This story is about Jake Salter who is sent by a detective agency associated with The Arcane Society to investigate a plot concerning the Founders Formula. He meets Clare Lancas ...more
LibraryLass
Jun 11, 2011 LibraryLass rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by this author. Although IMO it wasn't the best in the series it is still a great read. And as I have seen said about other authors "a less than stellar book by JAK is much better than some authors best efforts."

Re-read Feb 08, July 09, June 11
Lisa P
Jun 12, 2014 Lisa P rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can always count on Jayne Ann Krentz for a fun, quick read, and this book was no exception. Her stuff is always so well written. This one was basically a murder mystery with the paranormal element thrown in for a little twist. The story is about the Arcane Society (members all have psychic powers of some sort, leveled 1-10, depending on their strength and abilities). There is a murder being investigated by Jake (level 10 psychic hunter), which could have dire consequences for the Arcane Societ ...more
Debbie
Oct 16, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brain-candy
Don't be fooled by the author's name. This is the second book in the Arcane Society series. Apparently Jayne Ann Krentz uses her real name for novels set in the present, the pseudonym 'Amanda Quick' for novels set in the past and the pseudonym 'Jayne Castle' for novels set in the future. Why? I have no idea! It certainly makes it confusing when she writes a series set in both the present and the past.

White Lies is set in modern day Arizona and features Jake Salter, level 10 parasensitive hunter
Dee
Review of the Book - the book was ok, it was nothing to write home about. A typical contemporary with an uber ALPHA male, aka, a Hunter...and the wronged woman...ugh...I kinda figured out about half-way through who the bad guy/girl was. I'm def. going to say that i'm more a fan of JAK's historicals under the Amanda Quick name and not so much her contemporaries. That being said, I did like the first book in the series, and with this being the second, i'm going to give the third a chance (also und ...more
Meredith
Basic Premise: Murder, intrigue, illegitimate children, and psychic powers.

How could you go wrong?

Krentz is a very formulaic writer. Her men are all very alpha, very protective, and the kind of guys you could refer to using the phrase "still waters run deep". In this case, Jake is a psychic "hunter", a throwback to a time when men still needed that fight or flight instinct every moment of every day. Clare, on the other hand, is a human lie detector, and I thought that was very cool.

Actually, Kr
Freda Malone
Oct 23, 2015 Freda Malone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the blurb says it all, I will say only that I enjoyed this novel. I like the subtlety of the paranormals in the 'Arcane Society' series and the characters. Normal, except for their gifts. Even though this is a series, the stories are in different times and different characters as well as places. I'm starting to like these books by Jayne Ann Krentz. A bit of everything, romance, mystery, paranormal and suspense, but not too intense. Easy reading and a good mystery!
Kari Chapman
This book skips up quite a bit in time from the previous book, bringing us to the modern world. This book is also much better than the previous book. I'd recommend starting here, and if you're still interested after reading this book, going back and reading book 1. It does provide some background to the world, but readers ought to be able to follow this book fairly easily without the background of book one.

I liked both main characters in this book. They were entertaining and the connection betwe
Dianne
Clare Lancaster lives in San Francisco, never knowing who her father was, being raised by her mother and her great-aunt. Her psychic ability is detecting lies, a gift thought by the Arcane society to eventually cause the person to become unstable, often needing to be institutionalized. She has received an email from her half-sister in Arizona, who needs help. Turns out they share the same father, a psychic who Clare has known and often referred to as Dumbass!

Jake Salter is an undercover agent fo
Zoe
It's possiible this book isn't bad. The mystery was decent, and I appreciate that paranormal elements being just a small amount (as opposed to taking over the whole book). However, I listened to the audio version, and it was so badly read (by 2 people no less) that it left me unable to judge the book on it's own. It's tough when a man and a woman both do the reading, because they made the choice to do all dialogue by a man in the man's voice - but if it was from a scene in the woman's point of v ...more
Lorraine
Apr 22, 2015 Lorraine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who enjoy reading about the paranormal.
Reading JAK's novels is fun especially after reading 'heavy' material. I can sit back and just read without having to deeply analyze each word. I have wondered what it would be like to have paranormal sensitivity, and reading these novels gives me some idea. As I finished this book, I received her new book in the mail. Pretty good planning - but I did not plan it at all. Coincidence? Who knows!
Lauren
White Lies by Jayne Ann Krentz
Book #2 in The Arcane Society
3 Stars

Synopsis:
Clare Lancaster is the illegitimate daughter of a wealthy member of the Arcane Society. She also just happens to be a human lie detector. Jake Salter is a psychic hunter sent by the Society to discover who is searching for the formula that enhances psychic abilities. The two connect immediately and become embroiled in a complex case of greed, murder and revenge.

Review:
The banter between the main characters and the feisty
Amber
Aug 22, 2015 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm circling back to read earlier books in the series which means that I lost some of the suspense this story would otherwise have. Oh well, it happens. I enjoyed all of the characters in spite of that, even if the villain was ridiculously obvious. recommend.
Teresa Biggie
Aug 04, 2015 Teresa Biggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was lots of witty banter in this book. The guy and the girl did NOT fall in to bed on their first day meeting ( a nice plus).. it took another day or two :) This was a much better Krentz book complared to the last one of hers I read. I really liked all the characters in this one.
Lara
Jul 12, 2012 Lara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-in-2012
This is one of my favorite Krentz/Arcane novels. And I especially enjoy the audiobook version. The heroine, Clare, is a spitfire who has a strong will but is not domineering. She is regularly put in difficult situations and always impresses. Jake is a great alpha male who also enjoys a challenge and has a wonderful sense of humor. The dialog is snappy and sharp, and the action doesn't leave you lagging.

The narration is great with a woman narrating the women's voices and the chapters written fro
Heidi
Jul 24, 2015 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book hooked me from the start. We jumped forward to present day, where the first book was historical fiction. Clare,a human lie detector mets Jake, a number 10 hunter. I enjoyed the mysteries and the romance in this novel. Both nights I found myself reading to 2 in the morning! It is a must read and I have already downloaded book 3, and 4 is on hold.
Cindy
Sep 30, 2014 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Contemporary paranormal with protected sex. The 2nd in the Arcane series, but this one is a contemporary rather than a Victorian.

Good story, kept me guessing. I liked Jake & Clare. It seems inevitable the leader of the West coast branch of Jones & Jones will get his own story.
Sandra
Mar 02, 2012 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second in the Arcane series, this one set in contemporary times.

Clare Lancaster, a level 10* lie detector talent, illegitimate daughter of Archer Glazebrook is our h. Jake Salter (Jones) is in Stoney Canyon on a secret J&J investigation, when Clare arrives on a visit to Archer and throws all his plans into disarray.

Jake is a level 10* Hunter and is trying to find the person connected to the disappearance & murder of various Lab technicians and the possible new Cabal promoting the Founder
Carrie
Feb 05, 2010 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book. The second in this series, it was better than the first. I'm looking forward to finishing them all.

This was the story of Jake and Clare. Jake was called in to investigate the possible conspiricy against the Arcane Society and the plot to obtain the secret formula. The investigation centers in Stone Gap Nevada and the Glazebrook family. Clare is the illegitimate daughter of Archer Glazebrook. Jake and Clare are both level 10* on the Jones Scale and find that there combined
Diane ~Firefly~
Jul 08, 2014 Diane ~Firefly~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, magic, paranormal
JAK is my favorite author so I'm always happy to re-read.

What I enjoyed:
* Clare. She was very independent and willing to go after what she wanted. And her philosophy on lying was pretty interesting, and necessary to her survival.
* Jake. He was a good match for Clare. Alpha, but willing to listen to her ideas.
* (view spoiler)

What could have been better:
Chris
Jun 12, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While this was not a historical romance as the first in the series was, it was still a very enjoyable read. I enjoyed the various mysteries woven into the story, along with the romance. I have the vague feeling that somewhere along the line I have read another in this series, but I guess I will have to keep reading the series to find it again.

A well written mystery/paranormal/romance book. Would recommend to friends if they enjoy this sort of thing.
Ladysatel
Jan 26, 2016 Ladysatel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clare Lancaster is a Level 11 Human Lie Detector, classed as an "exotic" by The Arcane Society, once they become aware of her existence. She is also the illegetimate daughter of Arthur Glazebrook of Glazebrook Industries. With the exception of her half-sister Elizabeth, Clare was not welcomed to the family.

However, Arthur has demanded that Clare return to Stone Canyon, AZ the reason for which he will explain when she arrives. The only oother time Clare had been in AZ was when she reviously helpe
Kim
Jan 23, 2016 Kim rated it it was amazing
Petite, thirtysomething Clare Lancaster is a Level Ten para-sensitive-and a "human lie detector." Over the years, she's come to accept that someone with her extraordinary talents is likely to have trouble in the relationship department. And she's even resigned herself to the fact that everyone, to one degree or another, hides behind a facade. . . .

And now it seems that meeting the half sister and family whom she never knew until seven months ago was a mistake. Her father summons her from Califor
Jessi
Clare Lancaster was the product of a one-night-stand. She's known that all her life but only contacted her father's family in the last year. During that time, she helped to save her half-sister's life from the husband that was trying to kill her. Of course, no one believes either of them. In fact, many people think that Clare was actually the one to kill her brother-in-law. Top of that list is his mother. She actually attacks Clare in the opening scene of the book when Clare is arriving at her f ...more
Christina T
White Lies is part of Jayne Ann Krentz's Arcane Society books. I had read book a while back that mentioned the Arcane Society (not part of the series but mentioned the Society) it didn't go into details so I ended up confused as to what The Arcane Society was and why it was even really mentioned. This book is technically the second in the series (the first is actually a historical written under her pen name Amanda Quick) but it explained the Arcane Society so I am not confused anymore.

I have a f
Sheila Melo
Aug 01, 2014 Sheila Melo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Romantic Suspense with a Paranormal Twist

WHITE LIES is the second book in the Arcane series. It is a contemporary romantic suspense book. Clare Landcaster is a high level parasensitive who is a human lie detector. Because of her abilities, she has a difficult time trusting people. She has come to Arizona to meet with her father and half siblings. At her father's home, she meets Jake Salter an Arcane business consultant, who she can tell has secrets. The two hit it off (reluctantly on Clare's par
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: White Lies (2007) Arcane 2 1 4 Sep 27, 2012 10:44AM
  • The Third Circle (Arcane Society, #4)
  • Ghost Hunter (Ghost Hunters, #3)
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...

The Arcane Society (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Second Sight (Arcane Society, #1)
  • Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, #3)
  • The Third Circle (Arcane Society, #4)
  • Running Hot (Arcane Society, #5)
  • The Perfect Poison (Arcane Society, #6)
  • Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7; Dreamlight Trilogy, #1)
  • Burning Lamp (Arcane Society, #8; Dreamlight Trilogy, #2)
  • Midnight Crystal (Ghost Hunters, #7; Arcane Society #9; Dreamlight Trilogy #3)
  • In Too Deep (Arcane Society, #10; Looking Glass Trilogy, #1)
  • Quicksilver (Arcane Society, #11; Looking Glass Trilogy #2)